Official Introduction & Welcome Thread
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 27 Next page Last page  View All

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2007, 8:55am

Post #51 of 666 (170875 views)
Shortcut
Where are you, anyway? [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw your username on the main forum page, but I can't tind this post on the OT board. I had to do a search of the site to find it. Very strange! Anyway, the picture didn't show up. (I think.)

Nessa Inglorion
The Shire

Feb 19 2007, 11:02am

Post #52 of 666 (187776 views)
Shortcut
Hello from old newbie! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mae govanen!!
I've been an 1st ager when it comes to TORn, reading news and spy reports, before the 1st movie came out, and I visited the forum now and then. Now I finally joined and as an official member I guess I'm a 4th ager. LOL

I live in New Jersey. I am fan of the books and the movies. I first read part of the Hobbit when I was young on a cousin's reccomendation but then picked it up again and read most of FotR before I saw the 1st movie, and then finished the rest of the trilogy quickly after. LOL I had heard of Tolkien and admired his work, but now consider myself a devoted fan. I'm currently reading The Sil among other things.
Click on the attatchment to see a recent picture of me.

I look forward to taking part here in the forums Cool

Attachments: me for ID.JPG (39.3 KB)

Hobbitmomma
Bree

Feb 19 2007, 2:25pm

Post #53 of 666 (185975 views)
Shortcut
Alright, here I go.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm Hobbitmomma and I joined TORN right around when FOTR came out. (Can't remember the exact date.) My husband likes to say that he created a monster when he made me read the books before the first movie came out. Hy husband and I have been married for almost 10 years (May 25th!) and we have two absolutely fabulous kids. Joshua is 8 and Nina is 6. I am a professional singer/actor, classically trained and I teach voice and piano as well as direct. Life is very hectic so I don't get to post very often, but I'm always lurking and reading all of the posts. So for those of you that don't know me, now you do!Cool

McGroovy

Feb 19 2007, 3:47pm

Post #54 of 666 (171640 views)
Shortcut
¡Hola! [In reply to] Can't Post

My name is Michelle and I live in northern FL (where it is current 43? F! At least it's sunny). I first came to TORn after FotR came out but I don't think I actually posted until after the release of TTT. I was known as Elithraniel_M back then, but since no one at the moots could pronounce it, I've since changed my online nick to match my RL nick. It much easier that way.

I'm a high school science teacher (zoology). I live alone with my two cats, Pele and Lono. In my spare time I like to play outside (especially in the water), but I can also find enjoyment curled on the couch with a good book or something on the tube (I don't have cable so that's not too often). I also enjoy going to the local dive bar and running the pool table with my SO. We're a force to be reckoned with!

I must say, so far I'm a little intimidate by how big the new place is. But I'm sure I'll get used to it.

“I am an evil giraffe, and I shall eat more leaves from this tree then perhaps I should, so that other giraffes may die” ~ Eddie Izzard

(Elithraniel_M on the old boards)

Scout
Rivendell

Feb 19 2007, 4:27pm

Post #55 of 666 (175722 views)
Shortcut
I'm Scout [In reply to] Can't Post

My name is Moira and I work and live in Detroit. I have a wonderful husband and mean cat. I'm an academic advisor and have been for 15 years; currently I work with Nursing students. I have a BA and MA in English and am currently (slowly) pursuing a Masters in Library and Information Science.

I read LOTR when I was about 11 and loved it. Joined TORn in January 2002, just after FOTR came out.

I'm pretty into music, movies, and travel. I also love me some Buffy.

A relatively recent pic (did I do this right?! Doesn't look quite right...):

Code

(This post was edited by Scout on Feb 19 2007, 4:27pm)

Frodo Hoy
Bree

Feb 19 2007, 4:36pm

Post #56 of 666 (171859 views)
Shortcut
I think I am quite ready to go on another journey. [In reply to] Can't Post

I found TORN (or did it find me?) about 7 years ago and loved the small, witty community of people from various locations around the globe. Oh, yes, we eagerly anticipated the movies, but we also thoroughly enjoyed one another and, on occasion, sparred with one another. This was good, too, as long as the differences remained at the level of civil discourse. It can actually be fun to have a running disagreement between mature people. Alas, as with any other arena of human interaction, we occasionally fell short of the ideal.

I initially registered as Frodo Hoy back then. I went through a phase of a number of months when I changed to Frodo Gardner - some of my posts are saved on humor collections under that name. But Frodo Hoy I am and remain. In the last several years, I have posted infrequently on TORN, but I have often stopped by the old place to read.

I reside in southern New Hampshire with my wife of 25 years and our three children. The oldest two are in their twenties (the eldest, our only daughter, was born six days after our first anniversary), and our youngest is a freshman in high school. My wife and I never subscribed to the myth that the teen parenting years are doomed to heartache and conflict. Our experience certainly has belied the maxim. As our kids have aged, we have learned to respect and love them more, and we have appreciated the outgrowth of their character and decision making. Of course they have not been perfect (what kind of fool expects that?), but they have added greatly to our joy in life.

As with some others who post here, my trust in God through the Lord Jesus is at the core of who I am. I make no pretense of perfection (anyone that has even a rudimentary understanding of the Christian faith knows the opposite holds for any true believer), but I do claim to be accountable to a standard of character that is derived from those attributes of God which are not exclusive to deity. In other words, I don't know everything, or have all power, etc. (the exclusive attributes of God), but I am supposed to be truthful, faithful, good, loving, patient, etc. (those godly characteristics that are accessible to humans). Inasmuch as any of my posts may fall short of the latter, please feel free to hold me accountable. The early ages of TORN bear evidence, I am sure, to how I have fallen short of the mark.

One reason I love where I live: I love long walks in the woods, both in the mountains and in the flatter areas closer to my home. The extended time without any sort of snow cover this winter (until this week) has been a delight to me and my wife. We've explored old trails and found many new ones within a half hour's drive of our home.

"From some way off, or so it seemed, he thought he heard a cry: 'Hoy! Frodo! Hoy!' .. 'Frodo! Hoy!' came the thin voices out of the mist."

Fog on the Barrow-downs

(This post was edited by Frodo Hoy on Feb 19 2007, 4:41pm)

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2007, 4:52pm

Post #57 of 666 (177111 views)
Shortcut
I've got just the smiley for you... [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 19 2007, 5:28pm

Post #58 of 666 (174957 views)
Shortcut
Hi Everybody! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, I'm Dianne aka Arwen's daughter. I found this board shortly before ROTK was released but didn't sign up until a few months after the release. I remember hearing about some great fantasy series based on these great books, I don't even know how I'd heard about it, and I read FOTR and enough of TTT right before I saw the first movie. I immediately read The Hobbit and the Sil, and I desperately need to reread LOTR as I haven't since the films came out.

I'm in Kanas. I graduated from the University of Kansas just last May with a bachelor's in classical antiquity and art history. I'm officially taking some time out before grad school, though that time is getting longer and longer. Right now I work for the family direct marketing business.

Let's see, I'm an all around sci-fi geek. I dabble in a lot of things, but am a master of none. I read, write, paint, sew sci-fi costume, take photos, make movies, but none of them well enough to make a living out of. I'm a fan of ancient history and modern art and the beach when I can get to one.

This is me.

My Livejournal

My Costuming Site

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2007, 7:09pm

Post #59 of 666 (178762 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Leave it to me to get lost without even knowing it. Not sure about the trouble finding my post; it seems to be here to me, but perhaps that's a cookie issue or something. As for the picture, it appears to be attached to the post, rather than actually posted in it. Must read TORn 201.

Cheers, Aerin!

Hobbitmomma
Bree

Feb 19 2007, 7:22pm

Post #60 of 666 (187686 views)
Shortcut
Love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolchemist
The Shire

Feb 19 2007, 8:06pm

Post #61 of 666 (184095 views)
Shortcut
My name is still Tolchemist [In reply to] Can't Post

and life is still pretty much the same for me - college eats up most of my time. The new boards are probably the biggest change all semester.
And if there are no worse changes in store for me this year, it will be a grand year indeed! Sly

Latin is a language, as dead as dead can be
It killed the ancient Romans
And now it's killing me!

Magrat
The Shire

Feb 20 2007, 1:57am

Post #62 of 666 (164959 views)
Shortcut
Magrat says hello [In reply to] Can't Post

Reporting in on the new improved TORN! I'm an oldie, ancient, and largely absent now because two small people and a kingdom to run keep me too busy. Plus all those books and deadlines. Shocked

But I'm happy that TORN lives on and has a new incarnation and maybe I'll have less trouble logging in and posting now.

In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded. - Terry Pratchett

Owlyross
Rohan

Feb 20 2007, 3:11pm

Post #63 of 666 (167906 views)
Shortcut
Ello! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm Owlyross, or Owly, or Ross, whatever you will... I'm from the midlands of England, Leicester to be precise (hence the little logo that is my avatar, that's our rugby team).

I found this place back in 2002 or 2003 I think, and registered soon after, but lurked a lot... But it's put me in touch with a lot of cool and learned people, which is always good... I read LotR for the first time when I was about 12 (I'm 27 now). I work as a Proofreader and Copywriter for a Further Education College, which makes me extremely popular with the lecturers (correcting the grammar of qualified teachers? Heaven forbid!) I love books, movies and TV and music, particularly rock and acoustic stuff. I'm also an amateur singer-singwriter... Some may say a Bard... In fact, that's the last four letters of my surname... Hmmm... Owly should have thought harder about his nick n'est ce pas?

Anyway, here's me below, having a "Gondor Moment"

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin

Elanor
Bree

Feb 20 2007, 3:56pm

Post #64 of 666 (163246 views)
Shortcut
Hello. Newbie here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello, everyone. I’ve been a lurker at theonering for some time and have thoroughly enjoyed a lot of the discussions there, especially the Screen Cap of the Day. Have you really been through all three films? I’m so sorry to have missed participating and hope it will be repeated sometime. I never registered at the old boards as I couldn’t get my head properly around how they worked in terms of posting, replying, viewing things in order, and so on.

I was very excited to see the new boards appearing but held back in case there was already an Elanor who wanted to keep her nickname - not wanting to tread on anyone’s toes. I love flowers, especially the early spring ones, and I always think the elanor must be a bit like a celandine. In time I hope to get an appropriate avatar but I’m a bit technically challenged so it could take a while. I love words too, and “elanor” is so pretty. I wish I could say “pretty” is a word that describes me, but a girl can dream…

I’ve loved “The Hobbit” and “The Lord of the Rings” since I was a child but am a very recent comer to the films. I resisted watching them in case doing so spoilt the books, but had once caught a clip almost by accident (the moment with Aragorn, Legolas and the Evenstar) and liked it enough to want to watch the films when they were aired on terrestrial television last autumn here in the UK. I enjoyed them very much… until the end of the Return of the King. I spent an unhappy few days wondering why the changes had been made and half wishing I had never watched the films at all. Then several people told me that watching the extended DVDs are a great help in understanding why the films were made as they were, so I got them and found it to be true. I was – and am – so delighted to see how the writers and producers honoured the books and I now love the films for what they are.

In real life I’m married with two teenage children and work part time for an accountant, although maths was my worst subject at school…

I look forward to getting know you.

"Frodo thought for a moment. 'Well, Sam, what about elanor, the sun-star, you remember the little golden flower in the grass of Lothlorien?'"

Elanor
Bree

Feb 20 2007, 4:02pm

Post #65 of 666 (166739 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to double post but... [In reply to] Can't Post

The font in that post isn't the one I meant to have; I hope I've made the necessary change...

"Frodo thought for a moment. 'Well, Sam, what about elanor, the sun-star, you remember the little golden flower in the grass of Lothlorien?'"

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 20 2007, 4:40pm

Post #66 of 666 (171263 views)
Shortcut
Well, it's taken much time over the course of 2 days, but here I am! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, *that's where you get the smilies! Crazy

It's Alassëa Eruvande from Texas. I first joined TORn around Feb. 2, 2004, after doing a google search for "Figwit". I thought just *maybe* the internet might have some information on him and/or LOTR and managed to stumble into TORn.

I think I have an avatar uploaded, but I haven't decided on a footer. I'm glad to finally be posting on the new boards and look forward to reconnecting with all the absentee Tornsibs I now see frolicking about!

Also, please remember that I am a techno doofus and that this is the first message board like this that I've ever attempted. If I'm doing something wrong, please tell me and I'll try my best to fix it! Laugh

Whee! Lookit all the smilies!! Angelic Evil Evil PirateMadHeart
Sorry. As you were.

NottaSackville
Valinor

Feb 20 2007, 4:49pm

Post #67 of 666 (175123 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to see you on the new boards.

Smile

Notta

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 20 2007, 4:53pm

Post #68 of 666 (174105 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

The picture you posted makes you look like movie-Arwen's little sister. You have lovely hair!
Nice to meet you! Smile

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 20 2007, 5:05pm

Post #69 of 666 (169714 views)
Shortcut
Good to see you! [In reply to] Can't Post

*scratches another name from the missing list*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Feb. 19-25: The Hobbit.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 20 2007, 5:08pm

Post #70 of 666 (168753 views)
Shortcut
Hi, a.s. I liked your wildflower name! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the story behind it was lovely as well. Something about the first flower to repopulate a burned area or something like that?
Nice to see you!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 20 2007, 5:09pm

Post #71 of 666 (168530 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, elanor! [In reply to] Can't Post

On the Movie board, weaver is taking suggestions for future regular discussions -- please chime in with your ideas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Feb. 19-25: The Hobbit.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 20 2007, 5:26pm

Post #72 of 666 (172472 views)
Shortcut
Glad to see you too! (No Text) [In reply to] Can't Post

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 21 2007, 1:40am

Post #73 of 666 (165961 views)
Shortcut
yes, it's a lovely little flower (and name) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I thought the story behind it was lovely as well. Something about the first flower to repopulate a burned area or something like that?
Nice to see you!

Fireweed, it's sometimes called, or rosebay willowherb (its common name):

From p 96 . of WILD IN LONDON - A Shell Book, text ©David Goode, photographs - ©Chris Schwarz, first publ.1986

For many Londoners the sight of rosebay willowherb is a grim reminder of the wartime blitz, when it covered the bomb sites in a blaze of red. The colonisation of these bomb sites was mainly accomplished by a group of plants with windborne seeds, of which rosebay was perhaps the most spectacular.

It's also known to cover areas decimated by forest fires, etc. One web site says:

When Mount Saint Helens exploded, a year later the Fireweeds were first to recover, turning the blasted hillsides purple.

Here are some pretty pictures.

Most gardeners consider it a weed, but I just find it sentimentally lovely that a little pink flower blooms after devastation. Sort of a metaphor of hope, in my opinion, for all it's a weed.

Still, no one could spell or say the name (although if Tolkien had just included it somewhere, I bet they could have, don't you!!!), and for the sake of getting along in conversation, I shortened it to a.s. anyway.

Thanks for remembering my little fireweed, though.

Heart

a.s.

"an seileachan"

The Lost Mod Power: An Elegy (with apologies to Wordsworth)

What though the mod power which was once so bright
Be now FOREVER taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the stats, of glory in the power,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 21 2007, 1:46am

Post #74 of 666 (165868 views)
Shortcut
yes, some of us are enchanted with picture smilies (me!) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Whee! Lookit all the smilies!! Angelic Evil Evil PirateMadHeart
Sorry. As you were.

oh, some of us are highly enchanted with having picture smilies. And it bugs the heck out of squire.

Now, I'm not saying there's necessarily any connection between my use of smilies and the fact that it bothers squire.

I'm just saying, is all.

See my halo??? Angelic

Wink a.s.

"an seileachan"

The Lost Mod Power: An Elegy (with apologies to Wordsworth)

What though the mod power which was once so bright
Be now FOREVER taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the stats, of glory in the power,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.

Nessa Inglorion
The Shire

Feb 21 2007, 2:13am

Post #75 of 666 (166714 views)
Shortcut
Thank you :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks!!! It's naturally curly and the easiest thing to do with it is to wear it half up, half down :)
Lovely baby in your avatar
Oh, and btw, you did a good job on your first post on this type of board.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 27 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.