Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Peter Jackson: First Script Is Completed
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

DiveTwin
Rohan

Nov 23 2009, 7:53pm

Post #1 of 145 (2924 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson: First Script Is Completed Can't Post

At a press conference for The Lovely Bones, Peter Jackson has confirmed that the first script for The Hobbit is completed.

"The Hobbit will be two movies and we've written the first script and delivered it to the studio whom seem happy with it", the New Zealander told reporters.

"We're now halfway through the second script and Philippa, Fran, Guillermo and myself are doing the scripts and having great fun".

You can read it all at inthenews.co.uk

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

KingofAncients
The Shire

Nov 23 2009, 8:56pm

Post #2 of 145 (1290 views)
Shortcut
Sweetness [In reply to] Can't Post

This is Great News DiveTwin, I had heard rumblings and rumours that it was finished, Sir Ian had made a comment not too long ago regarding the script being finished but, it is awesome to hear it from the source. I just wish there were more details! I don't suppose there will be many for a while as they will probably try to keep it all under wraps. I cannot wait for these movies.

Smile

merklynn
Lorien

Nov 23 2009, 9:08pm

Post #3 of 145 (1318 views)
Shortcut
First half? [In reply to] Can't Post

Great find, DiveTwin! At last! So I guess they are only done with the first half of the story so far.

Now to begin my quest to be hired as a minor speaking role or extra in The Hobbit movies. I shall document my progress here on the Movie Discussion - The Hobbit thread. LOL. ;-)

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many.
Most importantly, do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in the Times Online." - Buddha muses over coverage of the Tolkien lawsuit

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2009, 9:49pm

Post #4 of 145 (1233 views)
Shortcut
Very exciting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like they're right on schedule. They're also half-way finished on the second script, so three months, (December-February) should hopefully be enough to get that done. I'd give my left bulbous, hairy, Hobbit-looking foot to be a fly on the wall in the writing office and WETA Workshop right now! So long as there weren't any massive Spiders lurking around...

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2009, 10:30pm

Post #5 of 145 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Golly [In reply to] Can't Post

So... um... is like the first half a go?

I'm betting this is enough to snag some actors and further get the ball rolling.

Pro gress Cool

Shop smart! Shop... S Mart!

hamlet
Rivendell

Nov 23 2009, 10:50pm

Post #6 of 145 (1204 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the info! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is great news obviously. In light of this, what do you think the mysterious "big announcement" of December 8 is likely to be? If the script is done and the studio "likes it," my money is on -- PARTIAL CASTING ANNOUNCEMENTS -- and (even better in my mind) maybe some word about the events to be covered by film 1, thus putting an end to the "where's the split point?" debate.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 23 2009, 11:13pm

Post #7 of 145 (1229 views)
Shortcut
Maybe less partial than we had thought? [In reply to] Can't Post

With a confirmed script we might get all of main cast announced!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 23 2009, 11:22pm

Post #8 of 145 (1226 views)
Shortcut
The split point [In reply to] Can't Post

...has to be after the death of Smaug, doesn't it? Nothing else makes any sense.

The Rohirrim, by Peter Xavier Price

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2009, 11:47pm

Post #9 of 145 (1231 views)
Shortcut
Except: [In reply to] Can't Post

-The first film would be top-heavy, while the second wouldn't have enough material
-The Necromancer plot takes place mostly before the demise of Smaug, which would cause timing/pacing issues in Film 2

Personally, I think ending film 1 after the group escapes the Misty Mountains would make the most sense, with Film 2 opening at Beorn's house.

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Nov 23 2009, 11:49pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 24 2009, 12:08am

Post #10 of 145 (1253 views)
Shortcut
Mirkwood, Spiders & Elves...OH MY! [In reply to] Can't Post

The story with all of it back story splits naturally at or near the big spider adventure & the capture by and subsequent escape from the Forest Elves.
There are several ways this could be finessed as to the precise point of Bifurcation.

Kangi Ska

Saquehobbit
The Shire

Nov 24 2009, 12:21am

Post #11 of 145 (1171 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the climax of the first film should be Bilbo's rescuing of the dwarves from the spiders of Mirkwood. Not only does it have the potential to be an exhilarating scene, but it is a crucial moment in the character's growth. Bilbo gains a good deal of confidence in himself, and this is when he really wins the respect of the dwarves, becoming the "leader" of the expedition.

The film should end with a cliffhanger of the sullen group realizing that Thorin is missing and then their capture by the menacing Elves of the wood.

(This post was edited by Saquehobbit on Nov 24 2009, 12:25am)

Pete
Bree

Nov 24 2009, 12:28am

Post #12 of 145 (1153 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, that should definitely be the climax to Film 1. Lost in Mirkwood, no Gandalf, Thorin missing, then the company captured by nasty elves.

Perfect.

"A Hobbits Tale"

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 24 2009, 12:31am

Post #13 of 145 (1139 views)
Shortcut
Sounds good to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

for all of the reasons you note. But given the right structure it could also end with Bilbo on the raft of barrels drifting toward Lake Town with the Lonely Mountain in the distance.

Kangi Ska

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Nov 24 2009, 12:42am

Post #14 of 145 (1157 views)
Shortcut
I agree that it's at Smaug's death [In reply to] Can't Post

It gives movie 1 a powerful climax and allows Film 2 to focus on the Battle of Five Armies and its political implications. It also allows Film 2 to bridge the tone between F1 and LOTR a little more.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Screencap of the Day will be on hiatus until after the New Year.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 24 2009, 12:42am

Post #15 of 145 (1190 views)
Shortcut
Thats How I have felt ever since I learned it would be a split Hobbit, rather than Hobit and Bridge [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it rather a cheat not to get through to the primary plot peice of the Movie and then get into the Addenda of Elf, Dwarf, Man relations, Goblin trouble, etc. HOWEVER. I doubt this will happen. I am more inclined to think, because of the nature of Dramatic arcs, and not wanting to have too much of a wide open, tail in the breeze with the wind up your hindparts, shamelessly cliffhanger ending, especially considering the legions of children ages 4 to 10 who are going to be taken to the film on general principal, no mater how many warnings and 13s get tacked onto its PG rating, that the first film will be the one that most includes the events of The White Council and The Necromancer, between the Adventures of Bilbo and The Dwarves in The Wild at those times when Gandalf is away. If I am right, and hopefully they will not change what is probably the best formula for two films short of splitting after the fall of the Magnificent Dragon, it should probably run something like Gandalf amidst the Elves (Please Enter Glorfindel!!!) at the start of the Green Dragon Inn/Troll business, then the normal proceedings in keeping with the book, given a few added character cameos Angelic (and for the sake and mercy of Eru, PLEASE have Gandalf perform his full, fiery, blue, goblin searing enchantment in The Caves!!!) right through the visit with Beorn. . . The Split of Mirkwood, and more Council business, with the film likely including Laketown, but NOT ending with it. Ending instead with The Battle on Dol Guldur, which we know takes place before the battle of Five Armies, and is a more dramatic and satisfying note to end a film on, as at least there is some sense of accomplishment.

In Reply To
...has to be after the death of Smaug, doesn't it? Nothing else makes any sense.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 24 2009, 12:48am

Post #16 of 145 (1174 views)
Shortcut
I Guarantee it Aint Goin Ta Happen [In reply to] Can't Post

Killing off the Chief Protagonist in the first half leads to a long boorring second half.

Kangi Ska

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 24 2009, 12:53am

Post #17 of 145 (1158 views)
Shortcut
I can't agree. Too much cliff or hang in a cliffhanger leaves that strangled sensation [In reply to] Can't Post

The feeling of being set to run at a fast pace, but on a short leash. Some people like it perhaps, but I deem that they are significantly in the minority. . . and mostly massochists, to boot. lol. I think the film will need to have an ending with SOME resolution. Just as the latter Harry Potter movies (4 through 6) have managed. They all made it clear that the story was far from over, and that major events loomed on the horizon, but they didn't leave the audience with the feeling that nothing of worth had been accomplished, or that it had been run down a dead end trail with a tease at the finish line. Smaug's Death, Sauron's Explulsion from Mirkwood, or even The Mountain as seen in the distance from Laketown provides some even ground to wait patiently on until film 2. A sudden ending after Bilbo frees the Dwarves from The Spiders would just feel like being violently jerked around.

In Reply To
I think the climax of the first film should be Bilbo's rescuing of the dwarves from the spiders of Mirkwood. Not only does it have the potential to be an exhilarating scene, but it is a crucial moment in the character's growth. Bilbo gains a good deal of confidence in himself, and this is when he really wins the respect of the dwarves, becoming the "leader" of the expedition.

The film should end with a cliffhanger of the sullen group realizing that Thorin is missing and then their capture by the menacing Elves of the wood.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

smokerings
Rivendell

Nov 24 2009, 1:08am

Post #18 of 145 (1125 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I concur! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Killing off the Chief Protagonist in the first half leads to a long boorring second half.

Yup - you got it 100% here. You have to think in terms of Peter and Company as well as GDT. It does not necessarily have to go by the book as you cannot simply translate a book into a movie (page by page or chapter by chapter as we saw in LoTR and mentioned in the DVD appendices).

I think the end of movie #1 has to end with a clear plot, direction and understanding (from the viewer perspective) that would want to motivate people to see movie #2. I mean I can clearly imagine at the end of TH#1, that we will see despair but yet the ability to move forward to finish the objective. It has to have both IMO.

Yes, a cliffhanger would do nicely - but as many of you recall hearing about the negative feedback from people who were not familiar with LoTR, they felt like FoTR just ended badly....without knowing that there are 2 more movies to go! Even Elijah Wood said Jack Nicholson was confused at the FoTR ending after speaking with him.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 24 2009, 1:21am

Post #19 of 145 (1114 views)
Shortcut
A Satisfying Note [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo fighting off 50 + giant tree climbing spiders single handed is just a minor thing?

Kangi Ska

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 24 2009, 1:42am

Post #20 of 145 (1116 views)
Shortcut
Movie Scripting 101 [In reply to] Can't Post

All of the writers involved in the creation of the two scripts are acutely aware of the rules of the road.
They all understand that the story of the Hobbit is "REALLY" bigger than the book. ( If you flesh out events mentioned.)
Smaug will appear in the first film. He has to though he might not be revealed in "All" of his magnificence. (He has a mountian full of Dwarves to clean out.)
Dol Gulder will appear in the first movie though probably not the entire battle. ( There is the finding of Thorin's father and the map & the key) and the start of the attack
coinciding with the spider fight would be fantastic.( A double cliff hanger.)

Kangi Ska

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2009, 1:54am

Post #21 of 145 (1120 views)
Shortcut
But if we've already started with Smaug and Dol Guldur in Film 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

The second installment will have very little ground to cover. And remember these things tend to be 3+ hours.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 24 2009, 2:04am

Post #22 of 145 (1065 views)
Shortcut
The set up [In reply to] Can't Post

You have to establish the characters, even if you do not reveal them in their entirety. The revelation of Smaug in all of his magnificence could be held off until the second movie. The battle for Dol Gulder could be contained in movie two but it must be set up in movie one. This is good writing.

Kangi Ska

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 24 2009, 2:09am

Post #23 of 145 (1151 views)
Shortcut
Its not that it is minor. . . but what does it resolve? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it is Bilbo's first stand alone moment, which is significant to character development. . . but as a plot piece, or a scene to end a film on. For the majority of people, an unexpected cliffhanger ending, and for many even a cliffhanger that IS expected can be not only jarring, but aggrivating and dissatisfying. Fellowship had to end the way it did, essentially. The Hobbit does not need end on such an uneven note with a year wait to follow, like some manner of filmatic Coitus Interruptus. You are looking not only at lots of fans, but lots of relative Neophytes, fans who know the work primarily through the films and not through the books, several million kids under age 11, and a good number of Dyed in The Wool fans who would either scratch their heads or grit their teeth or both if the ride comes to a sudden end fresh out of the spider Webs. At least get them into Laketown or tie up the Dol Guldur business to give an ending with some sense of accomplishment beyond the episodic.

In Reply To
Bilbo fighting off 50 + giant tree climbing spiders single handed is just a minor thing?

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 24 2009, 2:19am

Post #24 of 145 (1056 views)
Shortcut
There & Back Again [In reply to] Can't Post

It would not necessarily be an abrupt end. And as I noted in another entry, The Spider Fight could be set up to coincide with the beginning of the attack on Dol Gulder. This would be really action packed. Dol Gulder could be left to be resolved in movie 2 and the Elf capture could end the movie. (Details to follow)

Kangi Ska

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2009, 2:20am

Post #25 of 145 (1100 views)
Shortcut
Except you're not referring to set up... [In reply to] Can't Post

You don't have to explain what is "good writing", I'm well aware. However, you just stated that Film 1 could end with the start of the attack on Dol Guldur...which would leave nothing for the second film, save the end of the battle. That's not set up, it's the entire thing!

It would make much more sense to have Film 1 cover Gandalf's investigation of the Necromancer, while Film 2 would show his escape from Dol Guldur, the meeting of the White Council, and the subsequent attack on the Black Tower. Likewise, Smaug could be hinted at and eluded to in the first film, perhaps seen briefly, but saved for Film 2, which has to the bigger and more climactic of the two...

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Nov 24 2009, 2:25am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.