Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
DreamWorks acquires Peter Jackson's Lovely Bones. Filming starts in October.

Severian

May 8 2007, 6:41pm

Post #1 of 8 (734 views)
Shortcut
DreamWorks acquires Peter Jackson's Lovely Bones. Filming starts in October. Can't Post

Hi, newbie checking in!

I didn't see any mention of this, so I thought I would post the bad news.
http://www.comingsoon.net/...vienews.php?id=20229

"Peter Jackson will direct the film from a screenplay he co-wrote with Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh. Carolynne Cunningham, Jackson, Walsh, and Aimee Peyronnet will serve as producers."

"The picture is scheduled to begin filming in October in Pennsylvania and New Zealand, and will be distributed worldwide by Paramount."

I think this may be the final nail in the coffin for a Peter Jackson Hobbit. Sam Raimi has obviously been positioning himself in anticipation of this with his comments, so I guess he will be anointed to direct Bob Shaye's so-called Hobbit. Frown

Let's hope that Raimi can at least work with Alan Lee and John Howe (and maybe WETA?) and doesn't COMPLETELY change the look of Middle Earth. Good luck getting Ian McKellan to sign up for this stinker. Frown

I am completely disgusted and demoralized at how this has turned out. Frown I can't believe that Bob Shaye is powerful and stupid enough to jeapordize TWO major movie franchises (LOTR/Hobbit and Spiderman) by switching directors. Didn't Shaye lose a lot of influence and credibility when his Last Mimzy was such a big flop?

Is there anything more that we fans of Jackson's LOTR can do to try to convince New Line and Bob Shaye not to betray us like this? A letter writing campaign once saved Star Trek from cancellation. At this point, I think it will take some unprecedented effort from the fans to salvage a Peter Jackson Hobbit. Any ideas?

FarFromHome
Valinor

May 8 2007, 7:08pm

Post #2 of 8 (573 views)
Shortcut
We've known for a long time [In reply to] Can't Post

that Peter Jackson was going to do The Lovely Bones next. He's been working on it ever since he finished King Kong. So this news is exactly what we've been expecting.

What remains to be seen is whether Sam Raimi is greenlit for The Hobbit with New Line, or whether New Line will end up letting its option expire. If this happens, PJ could be finished with The Lovely Bones just at the right time, when the rights to The Hobbit revert to MGM who definitely want PJ. From what I read, Sam Raimi needed to make a very positive impression with Spiderman 3 to cement his position for The Hobbit. So far, that doesn't seem to be happening.

So I think it's too early to write off PJ's Hobbit. We just have to wait and see how things unfold!

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Severian

May 8 2007, 7:31pm

Post #3 of 8 (555 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
that Peter Jackson was going to do The Lovely Bones next. He's been working on it ever since he finished King Kong. So this news is exactly what we've been expecting.

What remains to be seen is whether Sam Raimi is greenlit for The Hobbit with New Line, or whether New Line will end up letting its option expire. If this happens, PJ could be finished with The Lovely Bones just at the right time, when the rights to The Hobbit revert to MGM who definitely want PJ. From what I read, Sam Raimi needed to make a very positive impression with Spiderman 3 to cement his position for The Hobbit. So far, that doesn't seem to be happening.

So I think it's too early to write off PJ's Hobbit. We just have to wait and see how things unfold!

Thanks for the info. I was always under the impression that PJ was still hoping to resolve the differences with New Line and do The Hobbit before Lovely Bones.

Can you point me towards the article/thread that talks about Raimi needing to "make a very positive impression with Spiderman 3?" I missed that and would like to read all the details.

I do hope you're right about the scenario where New Line lets the option expire and PJ directs The Hobbit after Lovely Bones. But I'm very afraid that Shaye and New Line will go ahead with a Raimi Hobbit regardless of Spiderman 3 just to 1) make money (especially after some of their recent flops) and 2) spite Peter Jackson.

diedye
Grey Havens

May 8 2007, 7:58pm

Post #4 of 8 (553 views)
Shortcut
I hope he *doesn't"... [In reply to] Can't Post

... get to work with any of the people associated with PJ's production, mainly because a ) I'm still holding out hope that Peter will do his own version in the future with Saul Zaentz's blessing, and b ) if Raimi is going to do it, let him do it his way and let's see what his interpretation is like without the PJ & Company safety net.

FarFromHome
Valinor

May 8 2007, 9:07pm

Post #5 of 8 (549 views)
Shortcut
I'm afraid I can't remember [In reply to] Can't Post

where I read the opinion that the success of Spiderman 3 would impact Raimi's ability to make The Hobbit. It must have been either here, or on something linked to from here, but I can't find it right now - and I might have got hold of the wrong end of the stick, anyway! There seems to be some discussion on the web about whether there should be a Spidey 4, and whether the stars and director would want to do it. Is that more or less likely if Spidey 3 doesn't do too well? I just don't know. And it's hard to say yet whether it will do well - a lot of people seem to be disappointed in Spiderman 3, yet it's doing extremely well at the box office.

You may be right that New Line will try to rush The Hobbit into production just to make money (and maybe out of spite), but if it's done for such poor reasons it's likely to fail, I think. I know that PJ has said he wouldn't make a movie just to make money, and way back before the break with New Line happened, he talked like this:

QUINT: Maybe [New Line] will offer a settlement [of the lawsuit] that includes The Hobbit

PETER JACKSON: No. Well, they might, but we would never do that. Never. You make movies because you love the idea. You feel kind of emotionally driven. I would never commit to a 2 or 3 year project because of a court order! I mean, what a jinx. It would bring bad karma. No, our dull audit stuff can get figured out by lawyers or courts or whatever. We'll keep our movies completely untarnished by that.

The whole interview is here - it's old, but it's still worth a read, I think. I still hope that PJ may get his untarnished Hobbit, with MGM in a year or two's time.

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Darkstone
Immortal

May 8 2007, 9:09pm

Post #6 of 8 (555 views)
Shortcut
I'm still hoping for Yimou Zhang. [In reply to] Can't Post

But we'll probably get Uwe Boll.

All is not gold that glitters,
All is not pure that shines.
Follow your mother's teachings
And happiness will be thine!
-Bugs Bunny, "Bowery Bugs", 1949.

roybatty

May 15 2007, 8:44pm

Post #7 of 8 (502 views)
Shortcut
Tintin first in line [In reply to] Can't Post

Today it was announced that PJ and Spielberg will now also team up to direct a trilogy of Tintin movies (see www.tintin.com).

According to the press release this would be immidiately after the lovely bones project for PJ and the Indiana Jones IV project for Spielberg and apparently WETA will be involved big time.
Looks like a PJ Hobbit is either unlikely or at least a few years down the road at best...

hasufel
Rivendell

May 15 2007, 10:35pm

Post #8 of 8 (526 views)
Shortcut
NEGATIVE THOUGHT [In reply to] Can't Post

I cannot believe that Tin Tin would trump doing the two Hobbit movies.

Could Jackson be filling up his schedule as an act until New Lines' rights run out?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.