Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD ~12. November. 2009~ Haradrim

.Ithilwen.
Rivendell

Nov 12 2009, 3:37pm

Post #1 of 6 (2219 views)
Shortcut
SCOD ~12. November. 2009~ Haradrim Can't Post

Sorry, again! Family and now my internet decided to play dead yesterday... >w<
Iím so reliable this week... Wink

Anyway, hereís the first picture. The Haradrim marching through Ithilien. Notice their weapons seem to be more primitive then the men of Gondor or Rohan. Spears of wood or maybe a totem of some sort (as opposed to a flag) equipped with bones or teeth. The man in the center appears to have a knarly looking axe, not nearly as clean cut as something the dwarves would carryÖ And also, notice the armor. Layers of animal hides, very earthy. It looks to be rather exotic; a touch African, Middle Eastern, and the way some even looks like the style of the Samurai, ‘-Yoroi. The men being from Harad, a desert-like land, they have their heads and faces covered.

http://www.framecaplib.com/...ages/ttt/ttt0752.htm

And the next is a shot of Faramir (I won't talk as much this time Blush). He looks viciously determined...

http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib/html/episodes/images/ttt/ttt0764.htm

1.) Are the Haradirm a realistic group of people? From the footage provided, can you believe that the Haradrim are a real society and real group if men from the south?
2.) Ahhh, David Wenham... To me he is Faramir (in appearance). Do you think he was a wise choice?
3.) Now, Ithilien. Do you think the scenery matched the book?
4.) Any other comments or thoughts are always welcomed!

^_^

In this life you cannot go back, only forward...
~Zedd, Legend of the Seeker

_V_
Lorien

Nov 12 2009, 3:44pm

Post #2 of 6 (1824 views)
Shortcut
According to Weapons and Warfare [In reply to] Can't Post

according to the weapons are warefare book, they don't use "wood" so much as "a bamboo-like plant" implying it grows in the jungles of the south.

As for the "samurai look of some of them"; that's just Easterling armor a few have; W&W says they put that in to kind of show that they trade with the Easterlings

ReVolution of Evangelion

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 13 2009, 3:09am

Post #3 of 6 (1806 views)
Shortcut
timely question [In reply to] Can't Post

Just finished reading TTT again last week (the first time since the films) so Ithilian is fresh in my mind. I would say, "yes! for the most part."

There were some differences of moisture (Ithilian was the "Garden of Gondor," no?) light (a bit too bright) and diversity of plant life. However, at a glance (which is really all we get in the film) the topography and core vegetation seemed to match quite well.

Of course all that goes out the window between the appearances of the Oliphant and the marvelous Faramir!

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Nov 13 2009, 3:10am)

weaver
Half-elven

Nov 13 2009, 4:31am

Post #4 of 6 (1807 views)
Shortcut
I liked them... [In reply to] Can't Post

Both the Haradrim and Faramir, that is! But for different reasons, of course...Smile

Up until now, all the enemies have been orcs or uruks, so it helps to show that some 'men' were also on the side of Sauron, that it wasn't just "men good, monsters bad".

Costuming wise, I was a bit surprised by the look of both the easterlings and these guys...the easterlings looked almost like aliens (as in ET), and the haradrim remind me of something out of Lawrence of Arabia. One was more "out there" than I expected, the other seemed too "real"-historically based, if that makes sense. Not that I could have come up with anything better, and both succeed at giving us a bigger sense of the diversity of Middle Earth, at least in culture/dress. Race-wise, all the humans look pretty white to me in these films.

On Faramir...David Wenham wore the role well. It's hard to be the tough but sensitive guy without crossing the line into being called a quiche-eater. I wish he had been given the chance to deliver more of Faramir's lines to Eowyn in the book when he wins her heart -- I suspect David W. would have been great.

Weaver

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 15 2009, 2:24pm

Post #5 of 6 (1779 views)
Shortcut
This is great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never just stopped and looked at their garb and gear before! They really are exotic in a way. Not with clean line-exotic like the Elves, but like every layer has a purpose or a story behind it.

Faramir's expression really does show the intensity of the situation. The Mumak... the army... he's all that's standing between that advancing threat on his city.

I like how in the book, Sam sees them as similar to them in terms of society and lifestyle as he wonders about them like he never does any other enemy... and Faramir does this in the film.

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

batik
Tol Eressea

Nov 15 2009, 10:35pm

Post #6 of 6 (2013 views)
Shortcut
men of the South! [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) Are the Haradirm a realistic group of people? From the footage provided, can you believe that the Haradrim are a real society and real group if men from the south?
Yes to both. Their appearance at the Black Gate *plus* here added to the believeability.
2.) Ahhh, David Wenham... To me he is Faramir (in appearance). Do you think he was a wise choice?
Another fine job and no complaints from me!
ummmm...I would have to reread to answer this one!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.