SCOD ~Nov.10. 2009~ "Give it to us raw and wiggling"

.Ithilwen.
Rivendell

Nov 10 2009, 4:30pm

Post #1 of 8 (4177 views)
Shortcut
SCOD ~Nov.10. 2009~ "Give it to us raw and wiggling" Can't Post

Sorry about being a day late... Unsure
I had family coming and going from overseas...

Anyway, time for the SCOD! One of my favorite parts of TTT!

First we have an image of Sam and Sméagol. Sméagol looks, well...hungry :) And Sam looks a bit repulsed at the thought of raw fish... Obviously there's no sushi in the Shire Wink

http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib/html/episodes/images/ttt/ttt0743.htm

And the next image is Sam looking (and making one of the lovely expressive "Sam Faces") at Sméagol with a look of absolute hopelessness...

http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib/html/episodes/images/ttt/ttt0744.htm

1.) Is Sméagol realistic in the first image? Are the digital effects just right?
2.) What do you think about the relationship between Sméagol and Sam? Is Sam too cold to Sméagol or is Sméagol to "creepy" around Sam etc.
3.) What's your opinion on Sean Astin's performance? (Personally, he's my favorite adaptation in the Fellowship.)
4.) Any other comments or thoughts are welcome!

~~~~
.Ithilwen.

In this life you cannot go back, only forward...
~Zedd, Legend of the Seeker

weaver
Half-elven

Nov 11 2009, 3:20pm

Post #2 of 8 (3889 views)
Shortcut
A SCOD leader is never late... [In reply to] Can't Post

You just show up when you mean to!

I find I like Sam and Gollum in this shot more separately than together. Gollum, to me works best when you seen him in the context of the real actors, but not all of them -- like when he drops the rabbit into Frodo's lap, or Frodo pulls the rope off of his neck. There, I totally by the effect. In a shot like this, especially when you look at it as an individual screencap, it seems photoshopped to me.

That said, I loved the way both Andy Serkis and Sean Astin played this scene, they were very much Gollum and Sam to me and I liked the interplay between them. Wish we could have had more of this aspect of their interaction, rather than the more physical attacks on each other.

Weaver

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2009, 9:52am

Post #3 of 8 (3822 views)
Shortcut
I find them both [In reply to] Can't Post

irresistibly perfect here!!! Cool
More moments like this one, as weaver would wish?... I would dearly enjoy them myself too, but even in the book this moment is their longest and least hateful bit of conversation, isn't it?...
*sigh* Unsure

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

(This post was edited by mae govannen on Nov 13 2009, 9:53am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2009, 9:55am

Post #4 of 8 (3802 views)
Shortcut
The above post was meant for Ithilwen! Sorry... // [In reply to] Can't Post

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2009, 9:57am

Post #5 of 8 (3836 views)
Shortcut
LOL about your joking paraphrase...! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 14 2009, 11:39pm

Post #6 of 8 (3803 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad this scene made it into the TE [In reply to] Can't Post

It strikes me as one moment that might have ended up only in the EE. A moment where you get to see a bit of interaction between characters which, while not critical to the storyline, adds dimension and interest.

Yes, the one thing that would seal it for Sam in his opinion of Gollum being 'opeless', would be him having no understanding of proper food Sly.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 15 2009, 3:30am

Post #7 of 8 (3830 views)
Shortcut
This was such a great version [In reply to] Can't Post

of Sam and Smeagol's exchange! It's one of the few times they had a real interaction. At first, Sam tries to encourage Smeagol with they joy of cooking, until he's shot down with Smeagol not only rejecting his ideas... but really invades Sam's personal space, too ;)

This scene always cracks me up. Between Smeagol's spitting and Sam's "Oh, you're hopeless"... I wait for it every time!!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

batik
Tol Eressea

Nov 15 2009, 10:31pm

Post #8 of 8 (4071 views)
Shortcut
of course, po-ta-toes! [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) Is Sméagol realistic in the first image? Are the digital effects just right?
Works for me! Of course, a still image allows one to see any possible *flaws* --even so this one looks okey dokey to me.
2.) What do you think about the relationship between Sméagol and Sam? Is Sam too cold to Sméagol or is Sméagol to "creepy" around Sam etc.

I agree about this being a fave Gollum/Sam moment. Sam's a bit less cold and Gollum is lot less creepy here. Still no love lost between the two--but it's a conversation, at least.
3.) What's your opinion on Sean Astin's performance? (Personally, he's my favorite adaptation in the Fellowship.)

Sean did a fine job as Sam, imo. No complaints. (I can't think of any casting complaints actually--the dream team!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.