Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit update: Casting, monsters, costumes!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MrCere
spymaster@theonering.net

Nov 5 2009, 10:25am

Post #1 of 45 (3271 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit update: Casting, monsters, costumes! Can't Post

What exactly is going on with the two-part adaptation of The Hobbit? The world seems to be holding its breath in anticipation, including us, but as the calendar turned to November, we turned to a trusted rock-solid inside source and found a dragon's treasure of updates.

Even the most dedicated fans, those tracking the details and trying to fit together the jigsaw puzzle don't have a complete picture. What happened to the scripts Peter Jackson promised were almost finished? How does Ian McKellen have scripts and know about Bilbo's casting if the studio hasn't officially even approved the budget for the film? Is everybody just sitting around counting the days? Where are the official announcements? What does the relative silence mean? Is everything still on schedule? What does the studio think? How the can filming begin in the spring if all this other stuff doesn't get done?

Our source deep inside the production has spilled the beans, or at least tossed out a few choice beans that with a little sunshine gathered from around the internet and with the waters of intuition and knowledge of other blockbuster productions, lets fans get a glimpse inside the garden walls of director Guillermo del Toro's adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's children's classic.

The Script

This has been much written about, to the point of being painfully repetitive as each new media outlet asks del Toro about the adaptation and process of bringing The Hobbit to a script stage. TORn reported details from producer Jackson's geek court but by way of review, in case you missed it, the writing team of Jackson, del Toro and long-time Jackson collaborators Phillipa Boyens and Fran Walsh all worked on a script for the better part of a year and split The Hobbit into two films with information about Gandalf's "off stage" efforts and the greater concerns of Middle-earth peppered through the narrative.

Jackson presented a Comic-Con time table that suggested the script would be delivered to the studio by early September and now in November we haven't heard of a script or budget being approved by the studios. There have been several public comments by the man everybody knows will play Gandalf (McKellen) who has also not officially been signed. He has stated that he has seen the script and knows a little bit about who might play Bilbo but Jackson was adamant that casting would happen after budget approval from the studio.

Our source reveals that the script is in more hands than just McKellen's.

The writing team is in the process of " polishing the scripts but the key people have read them in first draft form."

With the many months of work put in, those will be finely polished scripts indeed and if del Toro follows the same methods used on LOTR, details and dialog may get changed until the moment cameras roll each day. But aparently "scripts" are finished to a point that "key people" can read them and know, at least in broad terms, what The Hobbit movie is going to be like. Oh to be deemed a "key person" Keep reading for more evidence on just how polished those scripts are at this point.

Casting

As the early months of 2010 approach (when filming is planned to begin) it gets increasingly difficult to believe that the actor playing Bilbo Baggins isn't locked in for the films. The studios aren't going to be taking a gamble on the titular character in two potentially billion-dollar grossing films by waiting until the last minute to secure somebody.

Still, Jackson was crystal clear at Comic-Con that only the studio financing the film can hire actors and offer them money and negotiate schedules. So what gives? If it wasn't clear from McKellen's hints that he knows who Bilbo is likely to be, the "key people" phrase from our source all but confirms that somebody is Bilbo. Clearing 2010, for example, isn't going to happen for actors or agents on a few weeks notice and has likely already happened. Mr. Baggins knows who he is and probably has some very high level assurances (del Toro, team Jackson, studio executives) the he is wanted and will be signed. It isn't official, but it seems a certainty at this point that it has been agreed upon by all sides.

(Pssst, hey Bilbo feel free to drop us a line! If asked, we always keep your secrets! Spymaster@TheOneRing.net, MrCere@TheOneRing.net)

In addition to Bilbo, it seems likely that Thorin Oakenshield has also been cast in every real way except officially. TORn or Variety can't be handed a name but somebody is Thorin and they have probably been texting with del Toro and McKellen. Those three roles are the ones that demand the most screen time and while the rest of the Dwarves will have a lot of time demands, they will not have the same need to be well known actors and casting calls may yet go out for more supporting roles.

Sets

Frequent visitors to TORn will recall that we reported with exclusive photos that the replanting of the Hobbiton set had begun in New Zealand. Greens take time to grow so they look mature on film and so despite no budget, it was known beyond doubt that practical locations were being thought about at the very least.

Our source revealed that Hobbiton is simply a part of a bigger work already being performed. Work is 50% complete on set (and) wardrobe design. To be clear, let us pay careful attention to the word "design" and not jump to the conclusion that full sets are being built yet, although that seems possible or close. And it isn't completely clear if costume design means planning of costumes or actual construction of costumes but without concrete, hired actors it seems fittings and such could not happen yet. It seems more likely that fabrics and color palettes and concepts are well underway with the conceptual art being translated to practical applications. Ngila Dickson, where are you?

Of note, much of this work would often be deemed part of "pre-production" which would often happen after a film is approved and budgeted but either this is included in the development budget or a bill will be presented to the studio later. The point is, creative people are hard at work creating visuals for the two movies.

New construction

Our friend who writes The Noldor Blog had an interesting post in early October that a new stage was being constructed at Jackson's Stone Street Studios, that thanks to our source, his information suddenly seems so contex.

We were told, "Miniatures have started construction as well as the construction of a whole new stage to accommodate the scope of the film" The soundstage being replaced was massive, once the third largest in the world and this new one must be impressive indeed if it is replacing that one, used for the 8th Wonder of the World! (King Kong). And in case you blinked, Weta's miniatures (bigiatures) have started construction! Anybody care to speculate what portions and sets of the film require that treatment? (That is the very stuff of which our message boards and chat rooms are made.)

Want a tour of the South Island?

Middle-earth will still look like it did in Jackson's films, thanks in part to New Zealand and while Hobbiton is easy, the rest of book requires unique visuals. Don't worry, the team is already on it. Our source told us, "Location scouting in the South Island has started. We have identified several locations as possibilities to shoot." If anybody sees teams of people pointing film cameras around the South Island while pointing and discussing and framing backdrops with their thumbs and index fingers in L shapes, drop us a line!

Just how polished is that script?

While the script polishing continues, it is seemingly solid enough that according to our rock-solid source, some remarkable preliminary stages of planning are well under way. Fangirls, start your squee engines.

Reportedly, the production, "(is) actively story-boarding." For those unaware, that means the team is creating a sort of rough sequence of images, something like a comic book, to help the team visualize the movie before cameras roll. This often involves the director and cinematographer choosing angles or organizing visuals that help avoid problems later when cast and crew are on hand and the process unifies the vision of the film. This is part of the process called pre-visualizing or "previs" as our source called it.

"Previs is well underway," we were told.

There be monsters about!

Nobody can doubt the love that del Toro and Jackson have for beasties, to the point that they are almost like Harry Potter's Hagrid character, putting (with Weta's help) the nasties on screen with great adoration.

The team is, "Already testing the animated models of several creatures and doing puppetry tests for others." Some practical creatures were always part of del Toro's plan and Jackson and Weta innovated digital monsters such as the FOTR's cave troll a decade ago, allowing the director to enter a virtual reality were the creature is visual realized.

How can all these things be happening? "Design work is almost 100% complete at Weta." All that while we wait for their visuals in Avatar to land on us in December.

Our conclusion is that plans for The Hobbit movies are moving forward under full sail and despite relative silence on the "official announcement" front, the much proclaimed March or April start date is right on track.

Watch TheOneRing.net for more details as they become available and spies around the world send your information to Spymaster@TheOneRing.net.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Nov 5 2009, 4:27pm)

Growlithe the Grey
Rivendell

Nov 5 2009, 10:06am

Post #2 of 45 (1544 views)
Shortcut
Nice [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing too Earth-shattering there, but it's always good to hear about all-around progress.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Nov 5 2009, 10:07am

Post #3 of 45 (1588 views)
Shortcut
Yikes! Read on TORn home - this version is ugly! {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 5 2009, 10:41am

Post #4 of 45 (1505 views)
Shortcut
*shifts *squeee* engine into high gear* [In reply to] Can't Post

Casting!? Casting did you say!?

Of COURSE they know essentially who they want... and that the "someones" that are key players have got to have been approached under the cloak of darkness... which is SO COOL!!!

I like that Peter, et.al., has put the pressure on the studios/backers to get of their dufflebags and move on resolving whatever issues they may have. The pressure of no pre-filming tidbits being released until they officially put this project into the green is very wise. Why feed the machine if it's only gonna sit there and idle. Put the peddle to the metal and lets go, for Pete's sake!

I can't imagine the next Bilbo and Thorin haven't been approached and are just waiting to get their first fitting, first interviews, first taste of life in NZ working with these two amazing men!!!

The Script

Okay... okay... I know they've been working on the scripts and all, but I have got to say that I'm on pins and needles to hear from Philippa and Fran about their contributions. They were SO VITAL in LotR, and I know they had to have been keeping notes and references for The Hobbit whilst working on that... Fran on scraps of paper, Philippa in her computer... just sitting there germinating and blossoming, ready to burst into colour!! I can only imagine how much soul has been infused into this story through their eyes.

It'll be fun to pick out GdT's influence on the story. I think we all know the Jackson/Boyens/Walsh style so well by now that searching for GdT in there will be like watching for labels on apples or cars in the dust ;) "THERE IT IS!!! I SEE IT!!!"

Of course there are scripts lying on several kitchen tables around the world ;) This is so much fun!!! *twitch*

"(Pssst, hey Bilbo feel free to drop us a line! If asked, we always keep your secrets! Spymaster@TheOneRing.net, MrCere@TheOneRing.net) "

So... what's our code word going to be for you to let us know? hmmmm? How 'bout... "... like Wings on Balrogs!"

Is Ngila working on this!? Please tell me she is! I'll bet the basic styles (already established for Mirkwood Elves a la Legolas... unless those are his travelling clothes... and for dwarves) have already been completed and they're just fine-tuning with the colour pallette and then adjustments for the final host of said costumes. *still twitching* Oh... this is cruel hard!!

And the sets!! I can't wait to go home to Hobbiton. Knowing that Bagshot Row, the Mill and the Green Dragon are being reborn gives me such a warm-fuzzy feeling of contentment. Bilbo and Gandalf in Bag End again... delicious!!

New sets that call for an humongous set? How about a MOUNTAIN!!??? And some caves, and Fangorn reborn but changed with some Trolls scatters here and there, or Lake-town! Lots of water coming down the Pike again :D

Ohhh.... I hope we have the Stone Giants tossing boulders at the Company on the Mountain Side. I really love that part!!

Working out camera angles and sites. I think "The Guys" live for this stuff. Like siting your rifle before the hunting season (going on all around me as we speak) and doing target practice... the prep is part of the fun. And I can just imagine Christian Rivers sketching his heart out for those pre-viz shots and storyline. I'll bet they've already got it onto film with a rough track!!!

Okay... I've got to go to work. I've got to get ready to leave. I wanna stay here and PLAY!!!!

Thank you MrCere :) You promised, and you delivered. *bows deeply* Always cool and ROCKIN'!!!!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Nov 5 2009, 10:43am

Post #5 of 45 (1546 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've managed to quench my dry news gullet for now. Thanks! Maybe GDT will give us that Christmas present that he was unable to deliver last year, this year?

Elven
Valinor

Nov 5 2009, 12:51pm

Post #6 of 45 (1507 views)
Shortcut
Great Update MrCere :D .... [In reply to] Can't Post

OOh good! Things are on a roll and in a big way - its awesome to hear MrCere.

Mr. Baggins knows who he is and probably has some very high level assurances (del Toro, team Jackson, studio executives) the he is wanted and will be signed. It isn't official, but it seems a certainty at this point that it has been agreed upon by all sides.

Ah, so will the real Mr Baggins stand up please? Smile
The biggest secret of all - I still wonder who they have chosen ... they must be bursting their brass buttons to say, so I hope we have news soon. Very exciting!

I still wonder if we will see Orlando or Viggo in the films - Orlando's 'The Cross' (2010) has been cancelled, so he's not down for anything for 2010 - and he is only 'rumoured' for The Red Circle (2011). Makes me think he might like a holiday in NZ, if holiday you could call The Hobbit ...
And a 'Wing and a Prayer" (2010) for Viggo is also marked as only 'rumoured' casting as well ... then again so is all the Hobbit cast like Andy Serkis, Hugo Weaving, Sir Ian, Doug Jones and Ron Perlman. (imdb)

And it isnt completely clear if costume design means planning of costumes or actual construction of costumes but without concrete, hired actors it seems fittings and such could not happen yet. It seems more likely that fabrics and color palettes and concepts are well underway with the conceptual art being translated to practical applications. Ngila Dickson, where are you?

I, like Gramma, hope that Ngila Dickson is on board for The Hobbit I&II. I think the conceptual design department for costumimg would be frantic thinking about the correct colours for each of the dwarves, Hobbits, elves, Lake Men and every other actor that has a part in this. It was one of the things I loved about the LOTR - the outstanding detail of the costumes and the thought that went into them.

Anybody care to speculate what portions and sets of the film require that treatment? (That is the very stuff of which our message boards and chat rooms are made.)

Mountains MrCere, I want to see Mountains again Smile
I think GdT said that he liked to film in controlled environments, so I think there's plenty for set design and construction to keep their hands busy, and think of all the cool things WETA bigatures and miniatures departments are coming up with! It will be fantastic to see. I hope they keep a lot more of them intact this time round and dont destroy many of them ... there's got to be a tour of these masterpieces after the films ... even of the Mountain Wink - that would be 'how to move a mountain' Cool they should have somewhere where people can gop and see the sets like a permanent display in NZ. I can hear the 'ca-ching' of the registers now.

Our source told us, Location scouting in the South Island has started. We have identified several locations as possibilities to shoot.” If anybody sees teams of people pointing film cameras around the South Island while pointing and discussing and framing backdrops with their thumbs and index fingers in L shapes, drop us a line!

OOOOh! I will keep my eyes peeled when Im down in the South Island then Cool

Reportedly, the production, (is) actively story-boarding. For those unaware, that means the team is creating a sort of rough sequence of images, something like a comic book, to help the team visualize the movie before cameras roll. This often involves the director and cinematographer choosing angles or organizing visuals that help avoid problems later when cast and crew are on hand and the process unifies the vision of the film. This is part of the process called pre-visualizing or previz as our source called it.
Previz is well underway, we were told.

Is Christian Rivers storyboarding? I wonder if they are hand storyboarding, or computer s/boarding or both? or more?
Im also thinking that there is someone out there already doing the behind the story filming and shots of everything thats going on as well - like we see in the Appendices and the 'making of' footage. If they are doing previz they may well have sets and locations sorted very close to precisie - even if its in computer.

The team is, already testing the animated models of several creatures and doing puppetry tests for others. Some practical creatures were always part of del Toro's plan and Jackson and Weta innovated digital monsters such as the FOTR's cave troll a decade ago, allowing the director to enter a virtual reality were the creature is visual realized.
How can all these things be happening? Design work is almost 100% complete at Weta.

This must be an exciting and frightening time for them all - getting everything to work and knowing that the decisions are made and they will soon go ahead and all the pre-production design and work up to this point will gel completely and wonderously work without a hitch.
My squee engine is redlining at a million rpm *squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

Our conclusion is that plans for The Hobbit movies are moving forward under full sail and despite relative silence on the official announcement front, the much proclaimed March or April start date is right on track.

Yay!!!! Woohoo!!
Im so excited - thanks for the update MrCere.
Well worth the wait Cool

Many thanks
Cheers
Elven

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2009, 2:24pm

Post #7 of 45 (1532 views)
Shortcut
Casting: What about Cate Blanchett? And Liv Tyler? Are their [In reply to] Can't Post

2010 schedules a bit empty here and there, the time of a quick trip to NZ?? Wink

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 5 2009, 3:24pm

Post #8 of 45 (1480 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad I copied it [In reply to] Can't Post

this morning at about 5am est when it was posted "-1743 secs ago"

lemmie see... doing the math... about a half-hour after you posted it. GET SOME SLEEP, DUDE!!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Mark Sommer
Rivendell

Nov 5 2009, 3:26pm

Post #9 of 45 (1454 views)
Shortcut
Great update and summary! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the great summary of where things stand. Great work!

Mark Sommer
Hollywood Jesus The Hobbit Whole

DiveTwin
Rohan

Nov 5 2009, 3:54pm

Post #10 of 45 (1424 views)
Shortcut
Nicely Done! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gramma and Elven just hit all my questions so no need repeating. Great stuff, Mr.Cere! Why do I feel that a flow of information is about to be let loose on The Hobbit.....

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

Mitrandir

Nov 5 2009, 4:04pm

Post #11 of 45 (1436 views)
Shortcut
thanks for the update! [In reply to] Can't Post

though I've guessed much of it already, but it's reassuring to hear it from a reliable sourceSmile

Mithrandír
Lorien

Nov 5 2009, 4:08pm

Post #12 of 45 (1434 views)
Shortcut
seems i have acquired to user accounts [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry for that. Will be deleting..

Social Science's biggest problem, is social science.

"The ring has awoken. It's heard its masters call"

Steelsheen
The Shire

Nov 5 2009, 4:11pm

Post #13 of 45 (1419 views)
Shortcut
thanks Mr Cere! [In reply to] Can't Post

those are good stuff MrCere! you're right, it doesnt make sense for nothing to be happening this close to actual start date. although if we learned anything from the LOTR days, is to never take anything from production at face value. Tongue heck most of the time whatever they say.... means its probably the complete opposite Laugh

so it sounds like they have Bilbo and Thorin already earmarked. thats good! those two added to the likely cast returning-- Gandalf, Elrond and Gollum, thats 5 of the key cast members. and if Gandalf's adventures would involve any of the White Council, then we would have Galadriel and Saruman to add to that, and when Gollum's involved, Aragorn shouldnt be too far behind.

man i couldnt wait to see samples of the design work! i'm pretty sure they're gonna expound more on the culture of the Dwarves, specially there are now more Dwarves to show variety from. oh! and the Sindarin Elves, i am so looking forward to seeing more of that culture too. there's only so much to see from what Legolas wears.

but i think what i'm most looking forward to seeing would be Smaug's design. i love me some dragons! Heart its a good time to be a dragon fan, what with another famous dragon currently being designed by the franchise across the Tasman Sea (i'm talking about Eustace the Dragon from The Chronicles of Narnia). i dont know if any of these production team from the two franchises ever talk to each other, but i do hope that whatever design they come up with in their own franchise, it looks sufficiently different enough from each other. the last think i want is to see the same dragon design when they could have 10 different dragon designs to choose from.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 5 2009, 4:21pm

Post #14 of 45 (1471 views)
Shortcut
I fixed it [In reply to] Can't Post

The translation to the boards from the Home Page doesn't go so well when stories are copied from another source into WordPress. And, it never works well with apostrophes and quotation marks.

Great job, MrCere!! Thanks! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 5 2009, 4:36pm

Post #15 of 45 (1456 views)
Shortcut
My goodness, what a lot you've got! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do believe you've touched on every aspect of the movies - thank you!

And everything sounds like it's all moving quite nicely through production...and I hope, someone is there, capturing it all for the Hobbit Appendices? Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Alientraveller
Lorien

Nov 5 2009, 4:37pm

Post #16 of 45 (1448 views)
Shortcut
Soundstage comment [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, thanks ever so much for this post.

I suspect this huge new soundstage will be used for the interior of Erebor, and that some parts of that set could be used for the goblins and Gollum's cave (using the same set was a common practise on LOTR: Saruman's caverns were redressed for Shelob's lair, while Helm's deep was expanded into Minas Tirith). As for miniatures, I can only imagine Rivendell and Isengard (if Saruman's been written into the films) are being brought out of storage, while Erebor, Esgaroth, Beorn's house and maybe Thrainduil's palace will be done as minatures.

Can't wait for the casting announcements, please make it our Christmas present Guillermo!

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2009, 5:07pm

Post #17 of 45 (1445 views)
Shortcut
For all pratical purposes... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I would consider this movie to be in a "covert green-light" dimension *cue's Twilight Zone theme*. Thanks for the Spymaster Supreme info MrCere! Cool

Shop smart! Shop... S Mart!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 5 2009, 5:35pm

Post #18 of 45 (1399 views)
Shortcut
Scourgeo!!! *PWANG* // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

lyndomiel
Rivendell

Nov 5 2009, 5:40pm

Post #19 of 45 (1391 views)
Shortcut
sound stage miniatures [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't forget Dol Guldur!

Eldameldo
Bree

Nov 5 2009, 5:43pm

Post #20 of 45 (1380 views)
Shortcut
WOW! [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything feels a bit more positive anyway, still and all, I am biting nails waiting.

Patty
Immortal

Nov 5 2009, 5:54pm

Post #21 of 45 (1380 views)
Shortcut
MrCere, you are "the bomb"! [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for all your work. We loves ya, dude!

Permanent address: Into the West

hamlet
Rivendell

Nov 5 2009, 6:25pm

Post #22 of 45 (1363 views)
Shortcut
WOW [In reply to] Can't Post

That was fun to read. I'm not sure I really learned anything I didn't already know (or suspect), but it was cool to see that there is an actual "inside source" for all this info! I predict major casting announcements in time for Thanksgiving! (Incidentally, Thanksgiving has been my favorite holiday since 2001 -- I was preparing the family's turkey and fixin's when I saw the first commercial for FOTR appear on TV -- to this day, I get a little shiver of joy whenever I think of Thanksgiving because it reminds me of the incredible anticipation for that initial LOTR movie -- and that's why I say Thanksgiving will bring us all some "Hobbitty" thrills this year!)

Vingilot

Nov 5 2009, 7:21pm

Post #23 of 45 (1419 views)
Shortcut
Howard Shore has also started work... [In reply to] Can't Post

In an interview with Fictional Frontiers, Doug Adams, author of the upcoming book The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films, revealed that composer Howard Shore is already at work, not merely sketching ideas for the score but working on diagetic music -- that is, music that will actually be heard in the film, and thus needs to be written before filming. Perhaps some of the music from the Unexpected Party, for example?

(This post was edited by Vingilot on Nov 5 2009, 7:22pm)

deej
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2009, 8:06pm

Post #24 of 45 (1346 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the update, MrCere! [In reply to] Can't Post

Any information at this point is very welcome!

Here's hoping we all get some solid casting news for the Holiday season. Smile

"...and back again."

sticklebat
Lorien

Nov 5 2009, 8:27pm

Post #25 of 45 (1324 views)
Shortcut
oh yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

wow...

this is all awesome news...it goes without saying, but...

THANK YOU!...so very much...

excited to hear more in the near future...
however, a line from Elven's post had me wondering a bit...

"GDT likes filming in controlled environments..."

I hope this doesn't mean there will be less real physical locations and more environments produced in a computer...
one of the most amazing things a bout the trilogy was the utterly brilliant use of & beautifully filmed landscapes...

I'd hate to see The Lonely Mountain as a digital location...
I seem to recall a particular location suggested here a while back that looked really good for it...I forget exactly what it's name was now, darn it...
but...they can only do what is possible...if they can't find certain locations that best suit their purposes, they have to build sets & scenes in sound stages
and CGI...
like they had to do with both Fangorn & Pellenor Fields...

the giant new sound stage being built at Stone Street Studios?..
I can only surmise it will most definitely be used for the inside of The Lonely Mountain...
the inner sanctum of Smaug...how awesome is it going to be when we see it?

so looking forward to seeing "Riddles In The Dark" brought to life...one of my favorites, and such a classic scene from the book...
just like the image of Gollum sitting on the rock in the prologue of the trilogy...an image right out of the pages...brilliant!
holy crap... I can't wait...

Tri duath telich na estel lin...a si gerich naid bain anirach.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.