Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
John Rhys-Davies On "The Hobbit"

DiveTwin
Rohan

Oct 30 2009, 1:52pm

Post #1 of 24 (1817 views)
Shortcut
John Rhys-Davies On "The Hobbit" Can't Post

John Rhys-Davies was, of course, Gimli the dwarf in The Lord of the Rings, and gave the series many of its funniest and most memorable moments. And while Gimli doesn't appear in The Hobbit, his father Gloin does, so we asked him recently whether he'd be back for another go.

"I've already been asked and to be honest with you, I wouldn't. I have already completely ruled it out. There's a sentimental part of me that would love to be involved again. Really I am not sure my face can take that sort of punishment any more."

So not even a small cameo?

"Why would you want to do it if it was just a couple of shots? When you've been 1 of 1, why would you want to be 1 of 13?"

But the production did ask if he'd be interested in returning.

"It was just a gentle "What would you feel about putting it on again?" But no. I'd be interested in trying to create a different type of persona within... the thing. That is challenging as an actor. I'd really prefer to play something quite different. Maybe an Elf. They've got a different set of problems with The Hobbit because you've got 13 dwarves, a whole band of them... You're trying to represent a whole race... You're trying to do for dwarves what The Lord of the Rings did for hobbits. "

Hmm, so Gimli won't be playing his own father, it seems - but he isn't completely ruling out a return to the world of Middle Earth. Still, we're going to have to put him out of the running in our fantasy casting of Thorin Oakenshielf, Fili, Kili, Oin, Gloin, Dwalin, Balin, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Dori, Nori and Ori.

Empire Magazine

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

Zmulady
Rohan

Oct 30 2009, 3:48pm

Post #2 of 24 (907 views)
Shortcut
figured this, but still [In reply to] Can't Post

it would be cool to see him back. It's too bad they can't come up with some different kind of make up balance that would be more comfortable for him.

diedye
Grey Havens

Oct 30 2009, 5:08pm

Post #3 of 24 (902 views)
Shortcut
Why not have him be the voice of Smaug?... [In reply to] Can't Post

He did a pretty good job with Treebeard and it wouldn't involve any prosthetics.

Blessed are the cracked,
For they are the ones who let in the light!

Patty
Immortal

Oct 30 2009, 5:15pm

Post #4 of 24 (899 views)
Shortcut
To me, his voice is too identifiable. I find that's the one thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

in casting that was a big mistake. With so many other choices, why did they have JRD voice Treebeard? He's good, but not nearly good enough to hide that it was Gimli talking.

Permanent address: Into the West

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Oct 30 2009, 7:16pm

Post #5 of 24 (823 views)
Shortcut
How about... [In reply to] Can't Post

They cast him as Bilbo? Tongue

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 30 2009, 7:35pm

Post #6 of 24 (843 views)
Shortcut
I agree Patty [In reply to] Can't Post

I picked his voice out right away that he was Treebeard. I'm not surprised at all he doesn't want to be a dwarf again. He positively HATED the prosthetics he had to wear and they would have to drag him kicking and screaming into them again. I watched him burn the thing in the behind-the-scenes features. They may well find something else for him to do yet though and that would be very much in the awesome category if they did.

I also will mention it was classy that they asked him to come aboard again.

Shop smart! Shop... S Mart!

Patty
Immortal

Oct 30 2009, 7:44pm

Post #7 of 24 (846 views)
Shortcut
I will say though, that if the script is written in such a way... [In reply to] Can't Post

as to show Gimli (not Gloin)--I don't know, as a guest at Rivendell or whatever (I hope not), then I hope JRD would agree to play him. Otherwise, it would best serve the movie for him to sit back and relax and enjoy the show (IMHO).

You can see that I'm one who is strongly on the side of continuity.

DiveTwin
Rohan

Oct 30 2009, 8:42pm

Post #8 of 24 (806 views)
Shortcut
Use His Voice [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose we could just use his voice if the script has any appearance by Gimli somewhere. I would imagine it would be a brief appearance at most (if at all), though I really don't know where that would make sense. However, since he had a size double before they could use the double and shoot from the side, back, angle, etc. so you don't clearly see his face but you would recognize that voice of his.

I think the idea of finding spots for LOTR characters was more prevalent when the bridge movie was considered but I would guess there's less of a chance now.

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

Snaga
Lorien

Oct 30 2009, 9:12pm

Post #9 of 24 (815 views)
Shortcut
Was he really asked to come back? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

"I've already been asked and to be honest with you, I wouldn't. I have already completely ruled it out. There's a sentimental part of me that would love to be involved again. Really I am not sure my face can take that sort of punishment any more."

Couldn't this be taken to mean that he had already been asked his feelings on the matter by someone else? I don't read it to necessarily mean that he had been asked to come back by the production staff. Maybe thats just me.

"Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial!"

-Faramir, reflecting on his brother.

Woodyend
Gondor

Oct 30 2009, 9:18pm

Post #10 of 24 (830 views)
Shortcut
Is it true that he now lives in NZ? [In reply to] Can't Post

If so, I bet he gets involved in some capacity with the movies.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Oct 30 2009, 9:25pm

Post #11 of 24 (805 views)
Shortcut
I believe he meant having been asked by journalists... but I can't assure you anything. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 30 2009, 9:49pm

Post #12 of 24 (805 views)
Shortcut
Well, if it's continuity you value... [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't Dwarves age at something close to the same rate as hobbits? So during Bilbo's adventure, Gimli would have appeared much, much younger; he might even have been a kid. Continuity would mean that if he appeared in The Hobbit, someone other than JRD should play him! Cool

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 30 2009, 9:58pm

Post #13 of 24 (860 views)
Shortcut
He has done, [In reply to] Can't Post

though I'm not sure if he still does.

I hope he at least gets to hang out on set and kick back with the cast and crew - and I bet the cast and crew would love to have him (and his stories) around as well. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Mark Sommer
Rivendell

Oct 31 2009, 3:06am

Post #14 of 24 (794 views)
Shortcut
This is clarified a bit later... [In reply to] Can't Post

The article says: "But the production did ask if he'd be interested in returning."

These are not Davies' words, of course, but I assume the magazine writer based this on specific information and not just speculation about what Davies meant.

BTW, what do you think about him voicing Smaug? Do you think he could pull it off? I think I'll start a thread asking this question.

Mark Sommer
Hollywood Jesus The Hobbit Whole

Elven
Valinor

Oct 31 2009, 3:29am

Post #15 of 24 (763 views)
Shortcut
He could always teach a dwarve how to be a dwarve ... [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileHe's such a character (as in 'larger than life' person) and I think it was Philippa who said (something like) if you need to know what a Middle Earth Drawve is like, get JRD.
Maybe his role will be behind the sceness then, and not on the screen.

Cheers
Elven

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I wonít write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Patty
Immortal

Oct 31 2009, 3:47am

Post #16 of 24 (764 views)
Shortcut
With all that make-up on... [In reply to] Can't Post

who could tell?Wink

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 31 2009, 7:46am

Post #17 of 24 (772 views)
Shortcut
Dwarvish Mortality [In reply to] Can't Post

According to the Encyclopedia of Arda they live around 250 years, so that's roughly more than twice as long as a hobbit.

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/d/dwarves.html

And... according to wikipedia, Gimli is about 11 years older than Bilbo. Gimli is born supposedly in 2879 and Bilbo is born in 2890. So, it probably wouldn't work that Gimli is a kid in The Hobbit if they're sticking with literature. Unsure

Shop smart! Shop... S Mart!

Wandering Ranger
Rivendell

Oct 31 2009, 9:48am

Post #18 of 24 (744 views)
Shortcut
true, that being said [In reply to] Can't Post

I am pretty sure that there is a quote either in the ROTK Appendices of UT that says Gimli wanted to come on the Quest for Erebor but was deemed too young which would imply he is alot younger than the one seen in LOTR. TBH, I am not really that upset about this news all right it's dissapointing but Gimli's story is LOTR, not TH I just see this as one less cameo they can shoe horn in. Nw all we need is Orlando Bloom saying no *eagerly waits*Wink

So Frodo Baggins boarded the great ship and passed on into the west till the sweet fragrance on the air filled his sense and the sound of singing came over the water. Then it seemed to him that, as in a dream, he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country. The third age of Middle Earth was over, the days of the Rings had passed and the story and song of those times was at an end.

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 31 2009, 11:57pm

Post #19 of 24 (690 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

He'd love to drop in on the set once in a while, just to share the vibe and remember old times. I suspect that once filming gets underway, it'll be the same for much of the LOTR cast--wild horses couldn't keep them awaySmile.

What I would like is for something like he said: a small role with no make-up. Something he could sink his teeth into, like a crony in The Master of Laketown's inner circle. He'd have a wonderful "florid merchant burgher" look to him. Too bad he couldn't play a character like that with the colorful language of another of my favorte roles of his, the sailor Rodrigues from "Shogun."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 1 2009, 5:07am

Post #20 of 24 (715 views)
Shortcut
I'm relieved that he doesn't want [In reply to] Can't Post

to play Gloin. He's been Gimli and is so established there... and as a voiced character in Treebeard. Unless there's something created with townsfolk (Master of Lake-town?)... maybe in Bee... I'd prefer he sit this one out along with Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, and the other hobbits.

Although... hidden cameos of each of the major players from LotR would be fun to have scattered throughout the films. I know those treasure hunts of cameos in the 3 films is a lot of fun... along with identifying Chapter titles. Food for Geeks!

sample

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 1 2009, 5:36am

Post #21 of 24 (719 views)
Shortcut
His voice is so defined [In reply to] Can't Post

for me as a booming Treebeard/Gimli-esque delivery that it would be quite a distraction. I've always thought of Smaug's voice as more silky and sinister... like Jeremy Irons or maybe Craig Parker (Haldir). Now he has a very versatile voice and shows up quite often in LotR where you'd never guess it was him (skull-topped orc and Lord of the Nazgul). He also does a wicked-great Gollum when I heard him read Riddles In the Dark with Mark Ferguson (Gil-galad) at The Gathering of the Fellowship in Toronto (2003). He'd also make a great Bilbo, imho.

Then again... I dearly love John Hurt's voice; and he voiced Aragorn in the Bakshi adaptation. Now there's silky and insidious with some power waiting in the wings (pardon the pun ;)

sample

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Nov 1 2009, 10:33am

Post #22 of 24 (672 views)
Shortcut
That is a great idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Teaching the Dwarves to be Dwarves would certainly be a great idea as he has defined the nature of Dwarves for the movies. While each of the lead fourteen Dwarves in the movie (at least - don't forget Dain) will have unique personalities, they all need to speak with a similar pseudo-scottish accent, etc. Despite the inherent flavor differences between the Hobbit and LOTR, continuity demands that the Dwarves come across as one race (or sub-race, since we only see Durin's folk).

Perhaps a role he might be interested would be Beorn? (Sorry Elven, Russell Crowe is not my favorite actor; besides - with his "major leading actor status", his salary demands would probabily cost the production at least 6 dwarves...).

sticklebat
Lorien

Nov 2 2009, 6:59pm

Post #23 of 24 (635 views)
Shortcut
yeah...no... [In reply to] Can't Post

simply because he is distinctly the voices of two other characters...
seriously...I can already hear Treebeard when I hear Gimli and vice versa...
is there an actor shortage or something? there are literally hundreds of other choices...
I just don't see the sense in casting him as Smaug...Unimpressed

Tri duath telich na estel lin...a si gerich naid bain anirach.

luckylily

Nov 3 2009, 10:16pm

Post #24 of 24 (637 views)
Shortcut
I concur as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing against JHD's voice, it's lovely and rich, but Treebeard is a very, very large creature. There are actors and vocalists out there with deeper and lower vocal ranges. I found JHD's voice over for Treebeard very distracting - much too obviously his. I feel they should have cast someone with a deeper voice.

(This post was edited by luckylily on Nov 3 2009, 10:17pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.