Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
****FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Visual Effects: Miniatures: Galleries****

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Oct 24 2009, 12:12pm

Post #1 of 5 (577 views)
Shortcut
****FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Visual Effects: Miniatures: Galleries**** Can't Post

Put in Disk 4 of FOTR EE. Choose Visual Effects, at the next menu, choose Miniatures, then on the next menu, choose Galleries.

Today we look at the last two models featured in the Miniatures Galleries, Orthanc and Moria.

Seeing the model – well parts of it – seems so different from seeing Orthanc in the movie. You can really get an idea of scale from the picture of the top with the legs behind it. It also gives you an idea of how it came apart to be able to be moved.

It was such a wonderful design that I now see Alan Lee’s Orthanc when I read the books.

I love this shot. It seems so real, not just a model. Between the matte painters, the digital wizards, and the model makers, this looks so real!

Moria was a model that was so intricate. I have come to spend more and more time while watching the movies looking behind the action to see all the detail in the background.

The first picture doesn’t give you much of an idea of scale because there is no person in the shot. In another segment of the Appendices, it shows a person picking up the balrog and moving him (of course he breaks off one of his "imaginary" wings). The picture of the columns from Dwarrowdelf looks like it was an interesting model to put together.

Here is a screen cap of Dwarrowdelf that is described in a different segment as having been done as a digital element because of how hard it would be to replicate the columns into infinity.

Here we come to the end of the miniatures galleries. Doing the galleries has made me come to appreciate the wealth of information they contain.

These were more than movies, they were a work of love!

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 25 2009, 2:13am

Post #2 of 5 (501 views)
Shortcut
Towers and pillars and spires... oh my! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great caverns everywhere! Under Orthanc and in the mountain. These are each iconic of the craft of stonework... and the miniatures really bring these to life. I just love Dwarrowdelf. The music, Gandalf's reverence, Sam's awe... spendid!

I have to say that I worried for Isengard and whether or not the heat in the caverns then drowning in wather would compromise the integrity of the earth its built on and would get swallowed up if the ground gave way.

I worry about things like that. ;)

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2009, 9:34am

Post #3 of 5 (510 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to say that I worried for Isengard and whether or not the heat in the caverns then drowning in wather would compromise the integrity of the earth its built on and would get swallowed up if the ground gave way.

Now I will, too!Mad

weaver
Half-elven

Oct 27 2009, 9:55pm

Post #4 of 5 (488 views)
Shortcut
I like the "penthouse" of Orthanc... [In reply to] Can't Post

Do they talk anywhere about the symbols on open-air floor on top of the tower? They look alchemic or astrological/astronomical to me -- doesn't Tolkien write about Gandalf being imprisoned in the place that Saruman used to go to look at the stars?

I guess there is a trap door in the floor, also...unless wizards can pass through stone to get up there.

And the four spiky things are great -- frames the place up there very nicely. It's not book canon, I know, but I love that shot of Christopher Lee at the top of it casting that spell that brings the snow down on the Fellowship on Caradhras. I imagine that was green or blue screened, as it was with the shots with Gandalf up there as well -- they didn't have a full scale set of the tower top, did they?

Weaver

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Oct 28 2009, 12:08am

Post #5 of 5 (505 views)
Shortcut
Symbols. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember seeing anything about what the incised lines were. Maybe they showed the sunrise on Midsummer, the shortest day and the longest day -- as good a theory as any, eh?

Yes, I liked the shot of Saruman casting his spells from the top of Orthanc.

Maybe you access the top from a hidden door in one of the spiky things!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.