Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
****FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Visual Effects: Miniatures: Galleries****

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2009, 11:32am

Post #1 of 8 (133 views)
Shortcut
****FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Visual Effects: Miniatures: Galleries**** Can't Post

Put in Disk 4 of FOTR EE. Choose Visual Effects, at the next menu, choose Miniatures, then on the next menu, choose Galleries.

Today we look at the factory in Hobbiton and Rivendell.

We didnít get to see much of the factory in Hobbiton in the movie; but I did get to see the model at the exhibit in Indianapolis, Indiana, in October of 2005.

I loved a comment by John Howe in another segment of the Appendices where he says he was asked if the factory was "so big." He gave a confused "yeah,"having no idea how big it was supposed to be. One gathers that he was quite impressed when he finally saw the finished model.

I hope everyone can see the screen cap. I lightened it as much as I felt I could. This is the view that Frodo gets in Galadrielís mirror.

Now we come to my favorite model Ė Rivendell. If I didnít live in a cold climate (also heavy in biting bugs in the summer), I would love to build my house open to the trees like that.

You certainly donít get a sense of how small the buildings are when you see them in the movie, but people working around them really emphasizes the scale. I love the roofs. There are old barns around here with patterns similar to the Rivendell roofs. I enjoy coming around a hill and seeing one.

The Rivendell in the movies isnít what I expected from reading the books, but I love it!

Saturday we will take a look at the last two models, Orthanc and Moria.

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

weaver
Half-elven

Oct 22 2009, 12:06pm

Post #2 of 8 (54 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit factories... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like a place they make hobbits...kind of like the work Saruman does in his basement...!

I sometimes wonder what the experience would have been like, for this team, to "destroy" the Shire had the Scouring chapter been in the films. It would be a shame to have to ruin such a lovely green place just to make a movie -- it's not like they could have just used a model, like with Isengard -- maybe they would have just had to duplicate the entire place, one all green and one all industrialized.

Do they talk somewhere about how they felt about flooding Isengard, and that model? I'm not sure I could wreck something I worked so hard on!

I liked the Rivendell models, too -- it was fun seeing those big people walk around inside of them, like they were playing with a big doll house!

Weaver

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2009, 12:41pm

Post #3 of 8 (69 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

OhioHobbit and I thought that the flooding of Isengard was done with CGI and the water breaking the dam was real water.

I would think a minature would have been used for "industrial" Hobbiton.

Of course, set designers and the people who build them have to live with their sets being destroyed!

batik
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2009, 2:08am

Post #4 of 8 (47 views)
Shortcut
a weird observation... [In reply to] Can't Post

that word "factory" seem so unShirelike! Just that harsh "ack" sound--doesn't fit with Shire, BagEnd, Green Dragon and so on. *Are* there other *ack-ish* words in the green land?

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2009, 9:13am

Post #5 of 8 (66 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

The factory had been the mill, which fits in the Shire. It isn't the factory until after Saruman has moved into the Shire.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 25 2009, 1:48am

Post #6 of 8 (29 views)
Shortcut
When did that head grow out the top of the factory? [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't this miniature just gorgeous!!!???? I still just can't get my head around how much detail these films have in every single inch of every single piece! Doesn't matter how big or small it is... these sets and pieces are absolutely stunning!

*gasp* Okay... I'm having trouble here. There are several dvd extras that I haven't watched a'purpose. Now we're headed into those hidden treasures I've saved for those days when I needed new discoveries of LotR, and I'm finding my resolve melting away as I look at this shots. *runs for disc 4*

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 25 2009, 1:50am

Post #7 of 8 (22 views)
Shortcut
It's supposed to ACK you [In reply to] Can't Post

cuz it's a corruption of the mill we see at the beginning of FotR and when Frodo and Gandalf ride through the Shire. It's gone from The Mill to a smoke belching, ugly factory. Like Elves being turned into Orcs. :D imho...

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 25 2009, 1:59am)

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2009, 9:32am

Post #8 of 8 (39 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

For a long time we didn't watch the galleries or production photos, but now rather than "Play All" we choose to look for the little gems on these discs.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.