Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
****FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Visual Effects: Miniatures: Galleries****

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2009, 11:38am

Post #1 of 11 (636 views)
Shortcut
****FOTR EE APPENDICES DISCUSSION: Visual Effects: Miniatures: Galleries**** Can't Post

Put in Disk 4 of FOTR EE. Choose Visual Effects, at the next menu, choose Miniatures, then on the next menu, choose Galleries.

These galleries have photos of the miniatures used in FOTR; The Argonath, Lothlorien, the Hobbiton factory, Rivendell, Orthanc, and Moria. The amount of work and detail in these movies is just mind-blowing. I will be showing a couple of pictures from the galleries and a screen cap from the movie showing them in use.

First we will look at some pictures of the Argonath.

I noticed when I watched the movies that neither of the figures had an axe. I really wanted an axe, but no one asked my opinion. But, no matter what, I thought The Argonath in the movie were wonderful. I really got a sense of the scale by the boats going between them.

I was absolutely mesmerized by Lothlorien. It was so other-worldly and magical feeling to me.

One of the things I had wondered about when I saw the movies was how they had done the trees. I loved Tolkien’s description of Lothlorien. The night scene was ethereal, but wouldn’t the golden yellow from the book have been glorious? The houses looked magical – certainly better than trying to sleep on a platform way up in a tree. I would have been afraid of rolling off a flet in my sleep!

My next post will Thursday and will be on the Hobbiton Factory and Rivendell.

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

jschomburg
Rivendell

Oct 20 2009, 12:02pm

Post #2 of 11 (544 views)
Shortcut
Argonath's are excellent [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed the part when Mary McLaughin was talking about aging the Argonath and she was shown banging on the face with a rock or something to put some dents into it. She was afraid she would damage it and I think have to start over. Hope I have this right. She was loads of fun listing to on several of the extras.

Thanks for the pictures!

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2009, 3:37pm

Post #3 of 11 (537 views)
Shortcut
I totally agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mary was so much fun to watch. I am not particularly interested in meeting the actors, but I would like to meet some of the Weta people!

There were several I really enjoyed watching!

They did such a good job with The Argonath. When I watched the movie, I loved the boats going past the toes!

Celedor
Rivendell

Oct 20 2009, 9:22pm

Post #4 of 11 (558 views)
Shortcut
Argonath [In reply to] Can't Post

The miniature gallery is sort of a hidden gem, because it's not part of the play all features.

Take a look at the statues in the film's version of the Argonath: a lot of people assume they are brothers Isildur and Anárion, because that's what they are in the book; however in the film they are actually Isildur and Elendil, a subtle but wise change, since Anárion doesn't really have a part in the films.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2009, 2:11am

Post #5 of 11 (522 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

The galleries are certainly a "hidden gem" that you must seek out!

There was no way that PJ could introduce another character, like Anarion, since he isn't mentioned any place else in the movie -- but I still hoped for the axe!

weaver
Half-elven

Oct 22 2009, 12:18am

Post #6 of 11 (517 views)
Shortcut
I would have liked to have seen a "golden" Lorien, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I can understand why they went with a more mysterious, night-time look for the place too -- it makes me think that the whole visit there was sort of like going into a dream for all of them, rather than a perfect Eden-like place. Maybe some day we'll get a miniseries where we get to see all sides of Lorien, rather than just its "perilous" side...

I have no problems with the Argonath, but I don't think about things like whether or not it was actually feasible to build something the way they pictured it. I felt better when I realized they had designed it based on a Lee or Howe drawing though, with the arms outstretched like that -- I guess because that means they had some basis for this look, rather than just making it up, and forgetting to think about how the arms would stay up like that!

And I think I have a new career if I want one -- I could be the person they hire to "age" statues -- you should see how many chips I've got in my dishes! One week with me, and everything would look it had been around 500 years!

Weaver

Elven
Valinor

Oct 22 2009, 12:41am

Post #7 of 11 (514 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lothlorien was one of the places where the blue didnt look so cold - I think I saw it more as if it was always 'in shadow' or at night, or in twilight - as beautiful as it was.
.. and tree's with branch extensions - what will they think of next Wink

Thanks Alcarcalime - another great look into the appendices. Cool

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2009, 1:36am

Post #8 of 11 (512 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lothlorien is much more mysterious at night. The leaves on the trees around our house are turning and they are turning a golden yellow. In the morning when the sun is shining through the woods, it looks just like I imagine Lothlorien looks.

Actually, OhioHobbit is the one who noticed that the arms are made out of blocks with no structure beneath them! He says he has no problem with that -- he says it is advanced Numenorian technology!

And I think I have a new career if I want one -- I could be the person they hire to "age" statues -- you should see how many chips I've got in my dishes! One week with me, and everything would look it had been around 500 years!

My daughter would agree with you. She wants to replace her kitchen counter, but is afraid that if she goes for granit or quartz, she won't have any glasses left at all.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2009, 1:39am

Post #9 of 11 (531 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, [In reply to] Can't Post

I know what you mean about the blue not looking cold. It looked like these Elves lived in the twilight quite happily. Thinking about the gift giving scene, it seems not to be part of Lothlorien.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 25 2009, 1:05am

Post #10 of 11 (506 views)
Shortcut
What I love about the Argonath [In reply to] Can't Post

is the way each of the statues' cloaks/clothing drapes. When you consider they're made of stone, the artistry and detail makes them seem all the more regal and close to a true likeness.

Lorien is always so enchanting. The colouring and elegance makes me feel like I'm entering a dream :) These are GREAT pictures :D THANKS!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2009, 9:28am

Post #11 of 11 (521 views)
Shortcut
The thing that amazed me. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

was how they made the foam look like stone!

Yes, a dream exactly describes Lothlorien.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.