Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
"Of Beleriand and its Realms" and "Of the Noldor in Beleriand": Preamble.

Pryderi
Rivendell

Oct 19 2009, 10:34am

Post #1 of 4 (373 views)
Shortcut
"Of Beleriand and its Realms" and "Of the Noldor in Beleriand": Preamble. Can't Post

Hi there folks and welcome to this week's Silmarillion discussion. The chapters I will be considering are "Of Beleriand and its Realms" and "Of the Noldor in Beleriand". This post contains information which I hope will explain how I intend to go about things etc. You may well fail to find anything to respond to here. But you can expect your first interrogation later today.

Firstly an apology to those who had expected me to play a more active part in the recent discussions and in particular to those who were following my "thee" and "thou" posts. I went on holiday for ten days and sustained a quite serious fracture to my upper arm. I then spent a fortnight in hospital preparing for surgery and I have been back home for a fortnight vaguely convalescing but still with the use of only my strong right arm. Unfortunately all that has meant that I was unable to post as I had intended and I am sorry about that. I had been looking forward to leading this discussion so I have done my best to prepare some hopefully interesting questions but as you can imagine my preparation has been disrupted and in particular my typing (slow at the best of times) is now down to one finger rather than two. I hope you will be able to bear with me and that I can offer something interesting.

I had considered using a thematic approach to this discussion but on reflection I decided that might lead to too much "flitting about". Well, sensibly or otherwise, I have decided to approach the chapters paragraph by paragraph. This will occasionally mean that essentially the same issue will arise at different stages in the discussion. I hope that does not cause too many problems.

Those who recall some of my previous posts may remember that I am particularly interested in Tolkien's use of language. They will not be surprised to find that a lot of my questions relate to this. I will try (on the whole) to avoid leading questions but I think it is only fair to let you know that as a general rule I love Tolkien's language myself. After all I know what's going to happen these days so it's not the plot that draws me back! Of course I do not expect people to answer all or indeed any of my questions if they do not stimulate any thoughts.

Well folks, this is the first time I've led a discussion such as this so wish me luck. In particular with my first task which is to transfer this word file onto the website appropriately.

Pryderi.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 19 2009, 4:11pm

Post #2 of 4 (248 views)
Shortcut
Many hopes for a continued swift recovery [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry to hear about your injury. That does not sound like much fun at all. But sounds like you are on the mend, and I'm glad that you are able to lead this discussion. I''m looking forward to it!

In Reply To

Those who recall some of my previous posts may remember that I am particularly interested in Tolkien's use of language. They will not be surprised to find that a lot of my questions relate to this. I will try (on the whole) to avoid leading questions but I think it is only fair to let you know that as a general rule I love Tolkien's language myself.

I will probably comment in one or two places where it appears that Tolkien's language was particularly changed in the editing process.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

FarFromHome
Valinor

Oct 20 2009, 8:56am

Post #3 of 4 (239 views)
Shortcut
Ouch! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to hear about your broken arm. I don't know if you watched Stephen Fry's Last Chance to See, which includes the episode where he broke his arm? That bit certainly makes you wince!

I'm looking forward to your posts on Tolkien's language. I too am very interested in it, but I'm still something of a sceptic when it comes to the language of the Sil. I would really like to gain some insights to let me see it in another light - at the moment, I find the stylised language rather intrusive and sometimes over-repetitive. Little archaisms like "on a sudden" or "at unawares" seem overused almost to the point of being tics, to me. I have gradually learned to ignore the bits of the language that bother me and focus on the story, but I'd actually prefer to be enjoying the language for its own sake as well! So I'm looking forward to discussing language, and I hope you won't take it amiss if I'm sometimes a bit negative - it's just part of the learning experience, for me.

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

sador
Half-elven

Oct 20 2009, 9:27am

Post #4 of 4 (267 views)
Shortcut
That sounds painful [In reply to] Can't Post

May you recover soon!

In Reply To

this is the first time I've led a discussion such as this so wish me luck.

That too. But I'm sure you'll do great.

"Maybe there is woe enough yet to come, though still hope may seem bright" - Galadriel.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.