First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 15 2009, 10:53pm

Post #76 of 165 (969 views)
Shortcut
That is a goodly explaination!:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you very much Magpie.

I see it on Amazon for 13.94new and from 6$ used so i will see what is good in the used section. I never dealt with Ebay before.

So i will go on your site to see what is on the LE TT and also the LE FOTR.

One more 'ting....you sent that snow that you had over there over this way didn't you? It's accumulated here to the extent that everything is dr00ped. How outrageous!Sly Never had such in mid october before. My trees have hardly turned too.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 15 2009, 11:06pm

Post #77 of 165 (987 views)
Shortcut
I feel honored... [In reply to] Can't Post

and humbled by your complement my dear lady:) *lowers to one knee and kisses hand*.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

hobbitlove
Gondor

Oct 16 2009, 1:15am

Post #78 of 165 (1022 views)
Shortcut
Our report - finally. [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally getting our New York/ Radio City Music Hall post done and we have some pictures (linked at the end of the post) for you all. BlushApologies for taking so long to get this post ready.

We arrived home late Monday, exhausted and still overwhelmed with this marvelous trip. We're probably still not recoverd. I, Hob, was sort of side-lined for a few days by an ordianary ol' cold (so thankful that it did not at all interfere with our trip), and there were many things that needed attention here, but, mostly, it's just taken us this long to start absorbing all that this New York Moot was about.

This was such a big deal for us. We've been talking about this very special trip to New York for the better part of a year, and planning for months and months. That in itself is part of the joy of these things, well, it can be a little stressful too, but all in all, very much a part of the fun.

Anyway, here is our addition to the many wonderful write-ups and comments from others.

TongueBy the numbers then:

This was our fifth moot and the 5th anniversary - in fact, to the day - of our very first face-to-face meeting with sibs from The One Ring.net.

This was the fourth time we have had the pleasure of hearing Howard Shore's music live. We loved the moving LOTR Symphony each time we've heard it, and would go to hear it again anytime we could, but honestly, this was so much more even than that. It was an amazing, unique and brilliant musical experience!!!

This was the third time we have travelled with our oldest daughter to a moot. Third time being able to hug grammaHeart and EntmaidenHeart for real.

This was the second time the hubby and I have flown together. Second time spending some really special time with Silneldor and his terrific family. You are the best people in the world and we love you.Heart

And sibs, there were lots and lots of firsts!!

Traveling to New York gave us our first view of the Atlantic ocean. This was our first time on the East Coast.
Our first time seeing Professor Tolkien's actual work in his own hand!
The first time hearing a movie to live music.
This was our first time, and we so hope not our last time, of having the privilege of hearing the beautiful GreendragonShocked sing.
This was the first time seeing Billy Boyd and Elijah Wood in person; and Doug Adams.
We spoke for the first time to David Salo, a shy but very very talented man. His Elvish is more mellifluous than even Viggo's is! Honest. I just wanted to hear more!
This was, for us, a first meeting of the inimitable Squire and his lovely daughter, Milady. We met, for the first time (and surely not the last), tORn's delightful Rosie-with-the-Ribbons, and the dearest Dernwyn, along with her "geeky" son, Chris. This moot allowed us to meet, for the first time, so many sibs we have longed to know. Loresilme, Ainu Laire, that dearest of dears, ElanorTX, and the tall V, beautiful Smeagirl, Sunflower, and Garfeimao. We now know, for the first time, some great 'new' sibs from Michigan, who just might start to post (hope so, they were just great). This was the first time we had met Glaurung63, and our favorite admin, Altaira along with her quiet BG. We met (on our last evening) for the first time but don't think the last two terrific Chicago geeks, Nancy and Rob, whom I could easily adopt. There were others, too, whose names we just never heard. I should write everything all down when it happens - but who has time? It's a mile-a-minute talking, and a hundred new experiences, and just so much of everything geeky good!
I have to add that this was our first time in a cab, in a limo, on the subway, in a horse-drawn carriage, and of course, all the amazing firsts that are uniquely there for one to see, do, and enjoy in NEW YORK!

We can honestly say that we enjoyed every single minute - even the hurry, the worry, and a few blisters; all completely worth it! We want to do it again. We know we are the most fortunate of hobbits for being able to have this great, great, great trip.

HeartBlessings to all who journey.

hobbitlove and ordinary hobbit and Loves horses

Here is a link to our Flickr album
and a link to some info about Central Park, not that you all can't Google that if you want, I know, but it is quite a place. We ourselves have only just begun to learn about some of the things we saw there. We also have this link to "The Immigrants" sculpture in Battery Park.

SmileSibs! We still have some New York 2009 buttons left so if anyone wants one just PM us your address and we'll mail one to you.

hob

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 16 2009, 1:41am

Post #79 of 165 (968 views)
Shortcut
Dear greendragon [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you very much for helping me with the gathering of nic's of all our happy faces. I attempted to do such with 2 others but you very well succeededSmile.

May thee have a wonderful day, although thee may have to retrieve ye olde snow bootsLaugh.

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 16 2009, 1:51am

Post #80 of 165 (965 views)
Shortcut
*blushes* [In reply to] Can't Post

And truly meant, good Sir Sil Smile.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16 2009, 2:11am

Post #81 of 165 (961 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful, hob! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry you were a little under the weather, but your report was worth the wait. It was great to see your pictures and hear about your adventures in NYC. Thanks! It was so wonderful to see all you again.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

`Are these magic cloaks? ' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.

`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 16 2009, 2:14am

Post #82 of 165 (973 views)
Shortcut
It was a whirlwind, wasn't it..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Time just moved too fast, but even the briefest encounters remain in one's heart Heart.

Thanks for posting the pictures - you really packed a lot into the weekend. The hotel was in an excellent location for sightseeing. And what a great idea to go to FAO Schwartz!

{{{Hugs}}}
Loresilme

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16 2009, 2:29am

Post #83 of 165 (960 views)
Shortcut
That does it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...we're making sure you come with us all to next year's Renaissance Faire! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 16 2009, 2:32am

Post #84 of 165 (973 views)
Shortcut
We do seem to be morphing [In reply to] Can't Post

from late Middle Earth to late Middle Ages here, don't we Sly?

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 16 2009, 4:41am

Post #85 of 165 (971 views)
Shortcut
snow [In reply to] Can't Post

My redtwig dogwood bent right down to the ground with the snow. It still had leaves which mean it accumulated a lot and it's a very soft wood bush (pliable... I have it for making dreamcatchers).

We only had a touch of color in the leaves but now the green leaves that froze on the trees are just dropping en masse. I'm reminded of that scene in one of Harry Potter movies where the Wholloping Willow kind of shudders and shakes off all of its leaves at once.

I don't do ebay either but my husband buys Corvair parts (and Corvairs... he bought his current Corvair on eBay). So I had him bid. I think gramma is a big eBay person. She could bid for you.

I have all three Limited Editions. But the Internet Limited Editions have a different color cover so for that price, I bought it too.

Have you ever heard, Use Well the Days? I love that song. It was the 'original' end of the movie song for ROTK. In fact, I'll go play it right now.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 16 2009, 4:43am

Post #86 of 165 (966 views)
Shortcut
I concur:).\\ [In reply to] Can't Post

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 16 2009, 4:47am

Post #87 of 165 (957 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it seems. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Renaissance Faire truly has it's influences...as you will seeLaugh.

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 16 2009, 5:25am

Post #88 of 165 (976 views)
Shortcut
No my dear lady [In reply to] Can't Post

the honour was mine. And i should be lucky to be so, 'inconvenienced' again:). Your company was wonderful .
Until next year:).

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 16 2009, 9:20am

Post #89 of 165 (955 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts coming [In reply to] Can't Post

I apologize, I am going to be very late writing--but I have one more trip on Saturday, and then I can get down to the task of writing here. This trip has been a blessing to me in so many ways....and I will let everyone know, in great ways and small. You may not all have heard much from me (I'm a very quiet sort), but trust me when I say it meant so much more than you will ever know....

Thanks for the clips..I am (re)-singing "May It Be" already ("Celine Dion" version or not, Deej:)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16 2009, 12:39pm

Post #90 of 165 (984 views)
Shortcut
Another report [In reply to] Can't Post

What fun, reading all these reports. I don't have that much more to add to all the others.

It just was so much fun meeting everybody.
Gkgyver already on the airport in Duesseldorf.
Ainu Laire and Garfeimao at JFK. Good that Ainu was wearing a LOTR-shirt, made the recognition a lot easier.
A lot of sibs at the Beecake concert (which was amazing to hear).
And a whole lot more sibs during the moot.

The moot and the concert are at the same height for me concerning fun moments in this weekend. It was so great meeting everybody. I really felt at home (and usually that takes a long time for me). I'm now the proud owner of a TORn-shirt Smile.

Saturday morning breakfast with Magpie and gkgyver. And later that day visiting Ground Zero with a group. It was really special, for me as a foreigner, having a different look at the moment it happened, it was really special sharing this with a group.

The concert was amazing. At moments I totally forgot I was listening to a orchestra, they where so good. The choir gave me goosebumps when they went full. The crossing for the Ford was the first, and many more followed. The soloists, especially the boys were really amazing. I stayed with Magpie to get an autograph of Doug and Howard, so I'm now the proud owner of a signed programme Smile.

Sunday morning finding my way down to the Angel Orensantz Foundation (always exciting to find a new location) but I managed. And I was really glad I went. Everything was amazing. The building was really unique. Hearing everybody talking and singing. Watching Journey's End. And hearing Doug and Howard talking about the music. Another highlight on this weekend.
Later that night a dinner with the sibs that where still in NYC. We had good laughs and a really nice dinner.
After that it was saying goodbye. Always a nasty moment. But we have next year to look forward to.

And I still had two days left in NYC!!

So on Monday some shopping, getting some stuff I can't get in the Netherlands. But in the afternoon I felt all the excitement of the entire weekend, and I just couldn't go on anymore. Time for a nap. In the evening a stroll down to Grand Central Station and marveling at the Chrysler Building. New York really has beautiful buildings, with all the attention to details on everything.

Tuesday a start in Central Park. I still wanted to see the Bethesda Fountain. I love Enchanted and one of my favorite scenes in the movie is there, so I really wanted to see it. And celebrating my unbirthday at the statue of Alice in Wonderland. And since I was close, I visited the Metropolitan Museum. What a huge place that is. I marvelled at a lot of the exhibitions, but later in the afternoon, there was just no more space in my mind to take up any more, and besides that, my feet where killing me. So an early night, and time to see some tv, always nice to do in the US, getting a preview at some of the shows that are running at home, but we still have to wait a year or more before that episode is run here. Oh, and of course packing my bags. Did I buy all that stuff?? And how will it fit. But I managed to get everything in my suitcase (and carry it around).

Wednesday morning, checking out, but I still had some time left. So I decided to go to the Top of the Rock. I had already been there, but now with the fall colours. And it was a really beautiful morning, so I went to the Top. It was of course magnificent to see.

The flight home was good. I had a window seat, and the seat beside me was empty, so nice a lot of room to sit and stuff my belongings. Even could sleep a bit.

And now I'm home. Had a good night sleep in my own bed and got my pictures sorted out. So take a look at my Pictures.

It was great meeting everybody. I'm not going to name anybody special, since I met so many people and can't remember all the names (shame on me).
Hopefully we can get together next year (I have to start saving up, but I hope it will work out).

Thanks everybody!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16 2009, 1:44pm

Post #91 of 165 (951 views)
Shortcut
Great report! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was lovely to meet you and spend time together. Glad you arrived home safely, and look forward to seeing you next year!

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 16 2009, 2:16pm

Post #92 of 165 (957 views)
Shortcut
Loved the report... [In reply to] Can't Post

Did your pics of Ainu Laire's and Earl's drawings/photo turn out? I don't see them in your photo gallery.

I am so taking my camera to RCMH next year. Why do I look at rules and try to follow them? I mean, I guess it wasn't against the rules after all but it looked like it on their page.

I liked your 'locals' pictures. I might have been tempted to take a pic of a black squirrel in CP. They're all over Michigan but all the Minnesota squirrels are brown. Isn't there a comment somewhere about black squirrels being from Mordor?

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

(This post was edited by Magpie on Oct 16 2009, 2:17pm)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16 2009, 3:07pm

Post #93 of 165 (951 views)
Shortcut
I've added [In reply to] Can't Post

the pictures of the artwork from Ainu and Earl.
I totally forgot to add them here Blush. I did mail them to Earl and pm-ed Ainu if she wanted to have them.

I thought the squirrel was really adorable, he was so close to the path and absolutely not scared of humans.
Here we only have the red squirrels, also really cute to look at, so the grey one was actually new to me.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 16 2009, 3:28pm

Post #94 of 165 (947 views)
Shortcut
Those red squirrels have little tufts in their ear? [In reply to] Can't Post

They are cute.

The squirrels in my backyard can be fun to watch when they're juveniles (they chase each other all over the neighborhood) but they are pains the butt. They get into the bird food and try to chew into the attic through the roof vents. My husband went on a 4 year campaign to keep them out of the bird feeders since they are quite persistent and agile We finally found the perfect spot where they couldn't leap from any item onto it. But the pigeons have thwarted us. I looked out the back window a few weeks ago and counted 7 on the ground. So... we've stopped feeding. There is no thwarting pigeons.

I'll go check out your updated album. Thanks for adding those pictures.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16 2009, 3:40pm

Post #95 of 165 (938 views)
Shortcut
Yes, they have [In reply to] Can't Post

that also makes them so adorable.
Luckily I don't have any troubles with squirrels (or any other animals I have to say, the most exciting thing here was a little hedgehog that walked inside, scared the hell out of me, and let me push him back outside).

That video is really hilarious, especially with the music underneath. But he really knows his way and how to get to the goodies.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 16 2009, 4:25pm

Post #96 of 165 (974 views)
Shortcut
Tor.com review of the panels [In reply to] Can't Post

Doug linked to this review in one of his tweets. I was really struck with this comment:
The actual composing process was described as “laying track down in front of an oncoming train,” which is the kind of creative metaphor I can really get behind. He named the destruction of the ring the most daunting cue, but pointed out that after four years of work he was too worn down to worry, and the night before they had to record that scene he sat down and wrote it, because it was due. (Seriously, best creative process ever.)

Now, the reason this fascinates me so is because, if I had to name one epiphanal moment in the entire trilogy, it would be during the destruction of the Ring sequence. There is actually a lot of music used from the time the Ring melts and the final destruction of Barad-dur occurs and I'm not sure if Howard was talking about this entire section or one particular part of it (and there is a theme named 'Destruction of the Ring' that would refer to a specific phrase). But does it matter? I mean, do I need to know precisely (or generally) what music he was referring to? No. My feelings are the same regardless. The piece of music that most profoundly affects me was the result of a intuitive process. One informed, surely, by many, many things (education, experience, research, previous scoring of LOTR music, etc.) but, in the end... he felt it. He let it come without analyzing and examining it.

This reminds me of what I wrote on my website and again in book I gave him:
Howard Shore is most certainly gifted, experienced and well trained in music and film scoring. Having little formal musical training, I am not a good one to discuss those attributes. And actually, I don't believe those fine attributes are what elevates this music beyond 'good', or even 'great', to something indescribable. I honestly think there's something in Howard Shore's spirit which, provided with the fodder of Tolkien's Middle-earth, shone through all the brighter. I wrote this to a friend:
I'm beginning to think that Howard Shore has woven something magical into the score. And part of me would like to believe that for all his talent, for all his gifts, for all his conscious intentions, in the end there's a bit of Tolkien magic that possessed him and elevated the work past that of an ordinary score.
The person who wrote this review wrote more on her LiveJournal page. She linked to a (surely, illegal) video of the movie covering the Destruction of the Ring. For my part, it's the section from 6:00-6:30 that will drive me to RCMH to hear no matter what. I want to be there when that music is played and try hard not to stand up and shout - for the sake of my fellow concert goers.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

weaver
Half-elven

Oct 16 2009, 5:01pm

Post #97 of 165 (969 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you about that part of the score... [In reply to] Can't Post

...there's something that "goes beyond" in that part of the score, which I get glimmers of at other times, but which is most present and in its fullest form in the music leading up to and during the falling of the tower.

I love the idea that it just came together for Howard Shore in an intuitive way -- in that way, it feels a lot like the books to me, where there are parts where you can tell (and know from Letters) how carefully Tolkien worked to craft them, and other parts that feel very differently, where things just flow in a very natural way. T

The end of the Old Forest chapter, where the hobbits end up on the threshold of Tom Bombadil's home, is the first example to come to mind, for me -- the text just seems to write itself, if I can put it that way, in those final paragraphs. The destruction of the Ring has the same kind of feel to me, like the music wrote itself...or that Howard Shore just let it come through him...amazing stuff.

On a much smaller scale, I know from the grant writing I do, however, that it's only after I've totally internalized a project, and am no longer working "at it" but working "with it", that it all really comes together. So I would guess that Howard Shore's ability to very intuitively create this part is the result of all of the hard work that came before, and that it took that, plus the pressure of a deadline, and being mentally worn down, to create the right conditions for a more intuitively based creativity to naturally emerge as it did.

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 16 2009, 5:07pm

Post #98 of 165 (974 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

That all that comes before makes the intuitive happen. I think some people just don't let themselves get to - or trust - this final part of the process. And, I think, when we dip into the intuitive, we access something more than (or other than) all the stuff that came before. It's like we consciously accumulate A, B, C, D, and E. Then we let it all simmer, dip into the unconscious, and F kind of drifts in. Not only do we let ABCD&E work more effectively by accessing the intuitive... we get F to boot.

I've been struck by some comments Howard has been making. He has talked, since the beginning of these movies, about how he utilizes dreaming in his work. But lately, when asked if he is working on The Hobbit, he replies, "Yes... I am dreaming about it" Not that verbatim but the gist is.. he does consider dreaming about his work to be working. So he really does do his homework but really does trust his intuitive side. I love watching balanced left and right brains.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

weaver
Half-elven

Oct 16 2009, 5:16pm

Post #99 of 165 (948 views)
Shortcut
Let's hear it for "F"! [In reply to] Can't Post

...and I loved the way you put that...thanks!

Shore strikes me as a lot like Jackson; these guys have a thorough understanding of all of the technical side of things -- all the practical concerns -- as well as the more creative side, for lack of a better word to call it. Howard's "dreaming" sounds a lot like Jackson when he says "what if..." or "wouldn't it be cool if..", on the commentaries, etc. I guess creative people all have their way into that space where "F" lives...

Some feel, I know, that Jackson crosses the line with cascading skulls and such..I don't think such remarks have ever been said about Howard Shore, though. He seems to always hit it "right".

Weaver

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16 2009, 5:20pm

Post #100 of 165 (948 views)
Shortcut
Then, at the other end of the scale, [In reply to] Can't Post

we have Doug Adams, who has done such a wonderful job deconstructing the score. I love what he has done, but at the same time I wonder how his efforts might impact the creative process. Howard said during the writing of the LOTR score, he had no idea how the themes were evolving. But now he is aware of it, and I hope he continues in the same manner by relying on memory of the earlier themes while writing The Hobbit score. I hope Howard's new awareness due to Doug's efforts do not take him out of the creative process he has used with so much success so far. I'm sure Howard has enough confidence in his own abilities to use the same techniques he has used his entire career, but it must be strange to have someone analyze your work and discover a process that you were completely unaware you were using.

Howard Shore should continue to rely on his instincts and not over-think what he is doing. He said during the panels that he rarely went back to his notes when he was re-visiting an earlier theme, and that's probably why they evolved throughout the movie. If he had gone back to his notes, I suspect the score would have been diminished because his creative process would have been blocked by relying too much on replicating the theme and not letting it evolve naturally.

There was something Howard said that struck me. During the discussion on Sunday, Howard mentioned that Gandalf the Grey has no theme in the LOTR movies, and I wonder how he's going to tackle that during The Hobbit. It works in the LOTR movies that Gandalf the Grey does not have a theme, because it's really Gandalf the White who has a significant impact on the story. However, in The Hobbit, Gandalf the Grey is a major presence, so he should have a theme. I'm curious what Howard will be doing to develop a theme for Gandalf the Grey, and how that will link to the LOTR movies, where there is no theme.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.