Personal Reviews, recaps, and reports of the RCMH weekend
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 12 2009, 1:07pm

Post #1 of 165 (4546 views)
Shortcut
Personal Reviews, recaps, and reports of the RCMH weekend Can't Post

It feels to me like we've got people reporting on their weekend experiences all over the boards. I don't know which thread to pick to do my recap so I'm going to create a thread dedicated to this (rather than tagging onto one started for another reason or tagging onto one started to report on one person's situation).

I think I'll actually hit reply and come back to post most of my own report. I want to get a few more pictures up (not that I have anything spectacular to offer in that category). Then we can get personal subthreads going (yes, I am dedicated to threaded mode and over organized).

Be back soon.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 12 2009, 1:52pm

Post #2 of 165 (3852 views)
Shortcut
First order of business: ATTENTION MR. CERE! [In reply to] Can't Post

There are a fair number of TORnfolk here that want to have a word or two with you (man, are you in troubleLaugh).

....SlyLaughSlySmileLaughLaughSlySmileLaughLaughSlyLaughSmileSlyLaughSlyLaughSlySmileLaughlinkLaughSmileSlyLaughLaughSlySmileLaughLaughSmileSlySlySmileLaughSmileLaughSlySmileLaughSly....

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

Garfeimao
Rohan

Oct 12 2009, 6:00pm

Post #3 of 165 (3818 views)
Shortcut
Bwuahahahahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know what the banner said, that's hilarious.

I need to upload my photos and videos tonight, and then I'll try and write something more coherent.

I will add this though, they have already listed when the Two Towers concert will be, Oct. 8 & 9 next year, so those who missed out, start plotting right now.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle earth

My page in the Traveling Journal

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 12 2009, 6:59pm

Post #4 of 165 (4363 views)
Shortcut
Magpie's big adventure [In reply to] Can't Post

What a weekend. I mean, whew... it was wonderful to the point of overwhelming in so many ways.

The City:
I didn't know what to expect but I was surprised at how much I loved it (what little I saw) and how much it exceeded any high expectations I had. Ray and I had time to walk around Times Square on Thursday night and I just loved the open nature of it. It wasn't too busy on Thur. night so it was the right mix of enough people to feel comfortable and with others... but not so many that it was crowded. I just had to sit down on the lovely chairs they give you to linger and just take it all in. On Friday, as I walked back from the Mingle with Radhuin, he shared similar feelings about the city. 7th Avenue was MUCH busier that night. Crowded to the point of having to be assertive to make your way to where you were going.

On Friday, Ray and I went to Central Park. Now, a park is a park, right? And Minneapolis has parks up the whazoo. That is, we have dedicated green space everywhere. So, even in the center of a large urban environment, I can follow most of my daily routine and errand running by driving through green space past creeks and rivers and lots of trees.

But Central Park is more than green space. I really wanted to find a fountain I had seen in a photograph I found while looking for images to match with haiku. The resulting wallpaper I created in that instance is here. I was pretty sure it was in Central Park (I know my label in the wallpaper says that but I didn't go look at that before leaving for NYC). I did find it but I found more than a fountain. Bethesda Terrace is wonderful. And the trees on The Mall in Central Park were so full of character. They don't do stuff like this anymore do they? Build things for beauty rather than out of thrift or for a sense of beauty or esoteric edginess? I saw signs everywhere showing the before and after of the CP renovation and the effort was worth it.

Whether it was Time Square or Central Park or street vendors or shop owners... I just loved it all. I never once felt uncomfortable, ill at ease, or in danger in any way. Those of you from NYC, if you could pass it along to whomever wants to know: Good Job!

The Concert:

Well, this was the whole point of the weekend (pretty much) for me. I don't mean to slight it but I wrote a review on Doug's blog and I've got other things to cover here so I'll just link you to that review: Magpie's thoughts on the concert

I will say that I looked up at the screens to the left and right of the stage (before the concert) that had been showing ads for video games moments before. I saw the name Suvi and it kind of tickled my brain... making it think... think... think... All of a sudden I realized the picture with the name was Ainu Laire's winning drawing for that contest and yelled out "Yay Suvi". (I have no shame sometimes) Then I kept watching and sure enough... I was able to yell out "Yay Earl", too. I hadn't realized that Earl also placed in photography contest as well. I didn't have my camera as I was worried they wouldn't be allowed (I checked the website and it was ambiguous. Sil had emailed me that they'd be okay after he checked it out but I was already out of the house and away from my computer). But Rosie-with-the-Ribbons did take some pictures. She's in NY till Wed although it looks like she is posting some here. I hope she'll post the ones she took.

Mooting:

Well, this was a mixed bag. First, I am - as am wont to say - an introvert. Some people think that means shy but it doesn't. It just means social interaction - no matter how desired or pleasant - is depleting rather than energizing. So, unless I'm in a group of 5 or fewer, my brain starts to whirl and I'm having a good time but I forget social niceties and lose track of thoughts and tend to get rooted in place and not mingle like I should. So, I'll add a lot of thoughts to this section. Some will just be reporting on what happened and some will be commenting so as to inform how future experiences might look.

Friday Night Mingle:
I am not a big group person. I don't hear well. So I wasn't sure what to expect. It was great. I have to say that I hadn't eaten since much earlier in the day (my stomach and eating patterns get all screwed up when I travel). I arrived at the event hungry and my husband grabbed me an ale. But then I got caught up in so many conversations I could never make my way deep enough into the room to get to the food table. So I sipped my beer for an hour getting progressively more hungry (and hypoglycemic) and - between the beer and slight hypoxia from shouting over the bar noise - considerably more light headed. I finally had to get serious about breaking away from conversations to get some food in me.

I couldn't read anyone's badge (didn't have my reading glasses on) so I would just walk up to people and ask, 'Do I know you? I can't read your tag.' lol. I found a lot of people I knew that way: Squire, Milady (lovely young lady!), Silneldor, Ms Silneldor and Master Silneldor, gramma, Deej, Entmaiden, CAHobbit, Sunflower, Greendragon (looking very Mod, I might say. I was delighted when Hobbit Love knew what I meant and said, 'hey baby... Mersey is back), L. Ron, Glaurung, _V_, Ainu Laire ... who else? I had already met Smeagirl/Girllum, her mister and Thorongil and his traveling companion. And of course, Altaira and Big Guy. I met some people I didn't know: Corey Olsen who a site called The Tolkien Professor. I was excited to talk teaching and Tolkien with him. I'm going to try to check his site out some and I hope he checks our boards out. I think he would like it here and I think you all would like him. I also met a woman and her daughter (?) who I think found the Mingle by reading about it on the front page. We talked briefly at the Mingle and they found me after the concert. I think they might be posting here now so if you're that person let me know. I'm so bad at retaining names. Especially when the brain is all whirly with excitement or hunger.

I had buttons I handed out. I was hoping to find more people and give them out personally. In the end, I sent bags with Ordinary Hobbit, Silneldor and Loresilme asking them to throw them into the panel crowd if they had to to make sure they got distributed. The looked like this:

Although... that's a jpg from my design files. The end result came out a bit darker and, although I was mildly disappointed it's all part of the try and learn method of designing for print so I got over the disappointment.

I missed some people completely. Dernwyn. I never found you! I am seriously regretful we didn't meet. I didn't, IMO, get half enough time with people I way more than half admire. Some of this was because I hadn't really found out where people were or what they were doing (see more on this below). But Ray and I did some walking together (as I said earlier) and we needed that time with just the two of. I know this weekend was one big gift to me and I don't think I've ever felt any gift to be as generous as this one. Not only was it massively more expensive than anything we've ever done, that man spent many hours alone in a sea of people he didn't know. He's not a chatty, social guy and he just hung in there and found a spot to stand or sit while I tried to talk to 4 or 5 people at once. But I was also spreading my time between TORnsibs and the followers of Doug's blog. I didn't do any of the Saturday sightseeing with TORnsibs because I was planning on going to a function for Doug later and I didn't want to get too far from the hotel. So, I just, in the end, didn't have enough time to find enough moments to talk with people.

I thought TORnsibs might just stumble across each other. I don't know how this would have happened... especially if I didn't know what people looked like. But I'm either way over planning and angsting or I'm relaxed and ready to go with the flow. For this I was mostly relaxed and ready to go with the flow. But, I didn't just stumble across TORnsibs. In fact, I barely saw them unless I made plans to see them. Even at RCMH, I only saw a few people and - although I was cued in on what was happening after the concert - without those few cues I wouldn't have known. I mean, there wasn't this large group of people with TORn written on their forehead that I thought - HEY, there they are!.

This is all just to say that, if you want to meet people... it's probably best to sign up for organized events and activities or to contact someone you'd like to meet and make it happen. I was thinking about how diverse we are as a group, anyway. Some of us are active on the boards right now. Some were active but aren't much anymore even though they keep in touch with others from their 'era'. Some are more connected with the site management and haven't been active in years (if they ever were in a public forum/chat way). And Some are Barli people. It's great to mingle with us all together but if we have limited time, most of us would probably pick a handful of people to hook up and chat with. So, in the future I'll be more proactive about making stuff happen and not worrying about making or waiting for things to happen on larger scales.

As it happens, gkgyver and Loresilme did contact me and arranged for meet ups.

Rosie with the Ribbons came with gk for breakfast on Saturday morning (as they were traveling together to some extent) and my husband slept in. That was great fun. GK and I were talking soundtrack stuff way before either of us were that active on TORn. So I consider him one of my oldest soundtrack 'buddies' (that I'm still in contact with). It was great to meet him. (Very charming, I will say) and I loved Rosie. She's just a fun person and was glad to get some more time with her after the Sat night concert.

And Loresilme arranged to have breakfast with me on Sunday. It was the perfect ending to my weekend as I had to leave (running madly towards the end) after she left to attend the panels. The big meet up events were great but I am, in my heart, a small group girl who loves a quiet space to get into some good heartfelt discussion.

Other:

I'm not sure how much to talk about this for lots of reasons. I vaguely dreamed I would have some 'moment' with Howard Shore. And I certainly wanted (and expected I could have) a moment with Doug Adams. Whether I got my moment or not, I knew I wanted to give them small gifties. I offered to let people contribute a comment to a book I designed for Howard Shore. And I made something for Doug on my own. I did have an opportunity to meet with them briefly and give them each their gifts. It was a kind of mad, frantic setting so I didn't get more than what I'm sure was a heartfelt thanks and a warm hand clasp from Howard. It was enough, along with a few other simple things I've 'gotten' in the last few weeks. And I got to meet Doug in the flesh which we were both hoping would happen. Mostly, I feel a bit shy or reserved about the experiences for a variety of reasons and won't say much more than that.

When I got to the autograph table on Saturday night, Doug recognized me (from our brief meeting) and autographed using my real name. I didn't want to bother Howard with a name request nor did I expect him to remember me. He signed his name only. Then, after a moment's pause, he went back and signed 'Best Wishes and Thanks." So maybe he did remember me. I will quietly think of it that way.

Photos, etc:
I have uploaded a variety of stuff into Picasa albums. At the moment, all these albums are set to non public which means that they can be accessed when one has the url, but they don't show up on my Public Album page. A more secure setting requires a password which I can't provide to everyone. So, if you see a picture of you that you don't want made public in any manner, let me know specifically which one and I'll remove it. Also, it used to drive me nuts to see pics of moots where people weren't identified. But I don't know how much people want to be identified (and I would definitely use TORn names, not private ones). If you feel comfortable having your name on an image you can PM with that consent or add it yourself in the comment section.

Earl in NYC. This idea started as a joke. When we are started talking about attending this concert, Earl wrote:
I am SO jealous of you guys... missing this feels like a stab in the belly by Grishnakh :|

Oh well, I just hope you all have a good time... and think of me while you do :o) Is it too much to ask someone to stand up during the concert and shout "I wish Earl was here"? ;)
That led to this exchange:
Magpie: lol... no that's not too much to ask. Is your preference for some happy music like during the Long Expected Party? Or maybe during an emotive moment like when Frodo stands at the river. I know... what about when he says to Sam, "I'm glad you're here". We could shout, "We wish Earl was here!" Notice I said 'we'. You don't think I'm going to do this myself, do you. ;^)

I told Sabsi I was going to have one of those paper masks on a stick made of my face so they could hold up it up and include me in all those European concerts the gang was attending.

oooh.. oooh... maybe we could set up a web cam for pre/post concert events?

Doug: [DAD MODE ENGAGE]

No yelling during the concert, kids!

[DAD MODE DISENGAGE]

Magpie: That only works is you sit within swatting distance.
But it gave me the idea of making a mask...or in it's final incarnation, a sign... to hold up so Earl could be there in spirit. Earl gave me a photo to use and said not to angst over it. So, go here to see where Earl showed up.
Laerasea in NYC. Many of you know L couldn't be there even though she was hoping she could make it. So I decided to do the same for her. She chose a picture of her with Menelwyn and I photoshopped them into RCMH. Here are their pictures. L's friend Laura (who was using her ticket) made it to the Mingle and graciously carried around L's picture to get autographs and comments on the back. But she didn't take photos (I'm not sure I explained that adequately). Earl has fewer comments (bad me) but more photos at the mingle.

Friday Night Mingle. My husband took all these. Having a drink in my hand for every picture (and the foolish look on my face in most of them... I take terrible pictures) makes it look like I was drunk. I had that same drink for a few hours and drank one half of the next one. The look on my face is mostly always there but heightened by extreme hunger and introvert overload! I hate pictures of me.

NYC. These are ones we snapped while out and about. It was rainy and cloudy in CP. Not great for taking photos but I thought Laerasea would like the statues of the literary figures and of Beethoven. I don't, as a rule, take lots of pictures. Radhuin took the one of the mister and me.

Howard and Doug Gifts
- I asked that people tell me if I could publish their contributions in a public manner like this. A few said yes. One said no. Most didn't address the issue. I published all but the 'no'. If you want me to remove yours, let me know.

Not proofreading... please forgive typos, spelling. grammar and composition errors.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Oct 12 2009, 7:24pm

Post #5 of 165 (3768 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a wonderful looong report and lovely pictures. It gives me a bit of an idea how it was; I'm a bit sad that I could not be there. But I am glad you had such a great time there! And it was sweet of you to make gifts for Doug and Howard!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 12 2009, 7:55pm

Post #6 of 165 (3786 views)
Shortcut
A thank you from me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed the photos, especially the ones of Earl and Laerasea and Menelwyn :-D

I'd love to see that Bethesda fountain in person, after feeling so familiar with it from Godspell and Angels in America.

And what fun to *finally* see the face of my TORn twin :-) I notice we even part our hair on the same side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 12 2009, 8:07pm

Post #7 of 165 (3797 views)
Shortcut
it is a testament of my great affection for you all ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that I let you see a photo of me. I have this great phobia about pictures and usually can't keep my eyes open so all photos are of me straining to keep them open and looking very strange in the process.

I think you would love Central Park and Bethesda Terrace. I kind of feel magic in places and I felt magic there.

Btw... I saw this article and this one today in our paper and thought of you.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 12 2009, 8:28pm

Post #8 of 165 (3777 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful report [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing your vision.

I did take pictures of the RCMH photos of Earls artwork, but my computer here isn't fast enough to upload pictures. I'll do that when I get home.

Just a quick question, where somewhere is that fountain in Central Park? That way I can get there more easily, for it is a rather large thing I have to say.

It was great meeting you here! And we handed out more of your pins during the panels on Sunday, quite a few people there were wearing them!

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Oct 12 2009, 8:32pm

Post #9 of 165 (3805 views)
Shortcut
Quick review (photos coming later) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm writing a long and more personal review in my LJ, but just a quickie for here:

It was wonderful meeting and re-meeting so many of you! Anne-marie, Georg (cannot... pronounce... name...), Entmaiden, Greendragon, _V_, L. Ron, Gramma, Altaira and BG, deej, Magpie, Silendor and your lovely wife, Squire and Milady (did not realize you two were related!, and thank you for your words squire), hobbitlove, more hobbits (you all had hobbit in your name XD), glaurung63, Larry from KK (think his name was Larry...), of course CAHobbit, then Nancy, and I don't even have to mention my awesome roommate Garf... overlithe something, Sunflower, uh... dernwyn of course!... lovely ElanorTX... many friends I know from LJ, and friends I met at the concernt... and I know I missed some TORnsibs, my brain is not functioning still... I'm sorry I missed you Loresilme, hope you enjoyed the concert...

The mixer was wonderful, the concert was worth every single penny, I was floored by how they displayed the art (I was looking for a physical display in some corner of the building... not large screens, and not all three pics I submitted XD), seeing TORn as a partner was the coolest thing ever, and the little event on Sunday was absolutely lovely. Howard Shore, David Salo, Colleen Dorran... so cool! Wonderful talking with all of you, and thank you Colleen for the legal advice and answering my questions!

I did manage to get pictures of the screens for myself and Earl, but unfortunately my camera completely washed out the displays. I'm hoping that maybe one of you was able to get a decent shot of one or two of my pictures, my mom really wants to see them...

Also, thank you for all the congratulatory words, they were all very sweet and I was really humbled. Thank you thank you! And some of you were just... oh, just thank you! My time in NYC would not have been half as awesome without all of the amazing people there, from both people here and off of the boards. This was just... so amazing.

I am honestly not sure if I'll be able to do next year, it depends on many different things, but for those of you who are able to do NYC next year, DO IT! It is worth every penny, it is so amazing. And if you do go, go to Top of the Rock rather than the Empire State, it's cheaper and it much faster, with only about a 30 floor difference :P And the Metropolitian! Heaven! And RCMH is officially the coolest concert hall I've ever seen. That 3 minute standing ovation? Well worth the red hands. They were all brilliant, every single one of those performers. And I think the performers enjoyed themselves, despite it being such a long performance, especially for the little kids...

Link to pictures later tonight or tomorrow, along with a link to my thoughts on the sites later.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography ~ My LOTR fan fiction

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 12 2009, 8:54pm

Post #10 of 165 (3782 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't find it on maps in the park .... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because I didn't know what it was called! So, knowing it's The Angel of the Waters Fountain at Bethesda Terrace will help. We came in through the Artisan's Gate at 7th but we came out the Merchant's Gate at the corner of the park near Broadway. There were maps at the Merchant's Gate but I didn't see any at the Artisan's Gate.

Here is the link to a Google Map.

That should probably come up in Satellite view but if not, click to get it. You'll see the label for The Mall and the Fountain is at the end of the mall (the end furthest from the hotel). You can see by the map that, at this point, you're only a quarter of the way into the Park. It's huge.

I was googling for and sending a bunch of image links of this Terrace to Laerasea last night. It is really something. Lots of carvings and mosaic tile work. And The Mall has some really interestingly shaped trees which my husband thought must have been pruned that way. We have lots of elms here and they don't grow in the twisted way they were in the park. Love Horses (a lurker on these boards) said she took some pictures of the trees so if she sees this maybe she'll post some.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 12 2009, 9:13pm

Post #11 of 165 (3744 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, going to look for it tomorrow // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 12 2009, 9:25pm

Post #12 of 165 (3797 views)
Shortcut
A few more pics [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm starting to unpack. Just now. At 4:00. As I find things, I deal with them and I wanted to post a few images of buttons I got over the weekend.

I think this one was from Hobbit Love and family. Is that right?

And I don't know what the origin of this is. It was small and I couldn't even read it (no glasses on) and I think I picked it up off the swap table even though I hadn't put anything on it. (I could have put lots of stuff on it had there been any more room in my luggage to bring it!) I wore it to the function for Doug's blog and someone was looking at them. I said I didn't know what it said since the type was too small without my glasses (I did know the gist of it). Apparently, I had it on upside down!

I'll stick these and more in this Picasa Album. I'll likely be adding things over time as they surface from my luggage.

And I have to tell you a few more random things.

1) I forgot ElanorTX in my list of who I met on Friday night. And I didn't list the Minnesota sibs because I already know them: Radhuin, Hobbit Love, Ordinary Hobbit, and Love Horses. Radhuin and the mister watched some of the Twins vs Yankees game on the TV. When the adjoining bar area started cheering I knew it couldn't be good for the Twins and it wasn't. I have to say, we even took some smack talk about the final game (yet to be played) from our NY based flight attendant last night as we deplaned.

2) I was sleepless in NYC. I couldn't sleep to save my life and so I spent a lot of time listening to the tv really quietly. I don't have cable at home so even if a show isn't worth watching at least it's new to me. There was some show on somewhere that seemed to be called 48 or 48 hours. It was about the first 48 hours after a crime (or specifically murder?) and what happened in terms of law/police investigation. I was surfing past when all of a sudden I see a familiar storefront and sure enough, it's about a murder that took place two blocks from my house. It seemed a bit surreal to see my neighborhood's establishments and locations on the tv in NYC. And a bit ironic since someone took my nervousness about visiting NY to be fear of crime. I said, no... I wasn't afraid of big city crime. Minneapolis' murder rate, at one point, was higher than NYC.

3) I wrote in my earlier post that I would walk up to people and say, "Do I know you? I can't read your tag so you'll have to tell me who you are." Well, I wouldn't have to do that with David Salo even if someone hadn't taken me to meet him. I'd been chatting with him a few minutes when I looked at his tag with blurry eyes and said, "Hey.. you wrote your name in Elvish!" I thought that was funny since I couldn't really read any of the tags but I recognized the shape of the Tengwar letters. A few minutes later, he took the tag off and handed it to me to keep. I thought that was the most sweet, nice gesture ever! I'll post it in my memento album (link above) when I find ti.

4) I got off the train I took from the airport home in South Minneapolis and saw black smoke pluming to the sky. I was a car a few blocks away that apparently had been in an accident fully engulfed in flames. The odd part was, it couldn't have been further than a block from a fire station but there was no indication that they were at the scene. Someone was calling 911 on their cell but during the whole walk home, I never heard sirens.

Then, this morning, we woke up to this:

It snowed hard for awhile. The leaves haven't even turned colors yet.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 12 2009, 9:26pm

Post #13 of 165 (3803 views)
Shortcut
The strain doesn't show. [In reply to] Can't Post

You look really great in those photos! I think that making the effort to have Earl's photo etc. taken might have taken some of the phobia aspect away; anyway, you look very relaxed and happy.

Thanks for the links. It's surprising to me how many young gay people these days have never heard of Matthew Shepard, or only recently heard about him through the play or Judy Shepard's new book. I bet all their moms remember the story...

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 12 2009, 10:02pm

Post #14 of 165 (3775 views)
Shortcut
{{Magpie}} Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, thank you, thank you! I have been so looking forward to your report, this is wonderful! I love how you were able to place Earl and Laerasëa in NYC! And as I read your thoughts on the concert I kept thinking: YES! I experienced that, too!

Do you know, we almost met up for breakfast? As soon as Geeky Son and I got off the train, we called silneldor, who told us where to meet up. So we were with his family and hobbitlove and ordinaryhobbit and their daughter, and had hoped you'd be there, but alas, you were already "spoken for". (A popular gal, you are! Cool)

At the concert I travelled down to the orchestra section during intermission, thinking I'd try to find you folks who were down there, but I went down the wrong aisles - I should have been smart, and headed for silneldor's seat, I would have found you then! Unsure

Well, next year, I shall not miss that get-together, and we will meet then! And I'm feeling that a trip out to the Midwest might be a very nice thing to do...my youngest is at school in Chicago, I really should get out that way, right? Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Oct 12 2009, 10:09pm

Post #15 of 165 (3816 views)
Shortcut
perhaps at Marquette? // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 12 2009, 10:12pm

Post #16 of 165 (3753 views)
Shortcut
Yes - that's their button! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was given one of those also, by hobbitlove and ordinaryhobbit - hugs, you two, it was sooo nice to share some time with you! Smile

And hobbitlove showed me something very special about that button. Take a look at the lower bar of music: it actually spells out "Frodo Lives" in the notes and G-clef! That is quite clever, how they managed to do it.

Thank you for posting that pic - and thank you, too, for the "I Heart H S" button, Rosie-with-the-Ribbons made sure I got one (thank you, Rosie!)! Heart

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 12 2009, 10:13pm

Post #17 of 165 (3755 views)
Shortcut
What a splendid idea! // [In reply to] Can't Post

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 12 2009, 10:16pm

Post #18 of 165 (3773 views)
Shortcut
The small button [In reply to] Can't Post

is from maegwen.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

`Are these magic cloaks? ' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.

`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Oct 12 2009, 10:23pm

Post #19 of 165 (3784 views)
Shortcut
*blushes* I knew there was something musically wrong in the bass clef [In reply to] Can't Post

but could not read the fiery letters as "Frodo lives"

Very clever indeed!

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 12 2009, 10:28pm

Post #20 of 165 (3764 views)
Shortcut
near misses [In reply to] Can't Post

I also found myself in RCMH not having gotten ahold of a friend who lives in NYC. It seems he tried to call us but we had already turned our phone off (we really don't live by our cell phones like some do. We don't think someone may want to get ahold of us). I was also so rushed getting ready for RCMH (can you believe I took a shower, washed and dried my hair, put inner soles in and relaced my gillies and changed into a nice dress in 30 minutes flat?) that I didn't remember he and I were trying to hook up and I didn't bring my number with me nor think to check messages on my phone.

During intermission, I was up at the stage trying to find the anvil. I was the one in the long green dress leaning around trying to see the instruments.

Depending on how you fly, Minneapolis might even be a stop over. It used to be a hub for Northwest Airlines but Delta might be switching that around.

But yeah, Minneapolis at the right time is pretty cool. Winter is cool in not necessarily wonderful ways. It can be brutal in the winter and I don't think you get the best sense of how green this place is. I'd love to meet up with you here if you consider it. We have 4 other sibs here, 5 if you consider that lurker Love Horses! ;^)

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 12 2009, 10:33pm

Post #21 of 165 (3743 views)
Shortcut
That woman is too clever for her own good [In reply to] Can't Post

She gave one of these to Howard and Doug and I can't wait to tell Doug what to look for!

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 12 2009, 10:35pm

Post #22 of 165 (3727 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Entmaiden // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

deej
Tol Eressea

Oct 12 2009, 11:10pm

Post #23 of 165 (3753 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't have asked for a better weekend. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, maybe getting to sit in between Viggo and Orlando during the concert, but anyhow....Wink

I wish each and every one of you could have been in NYC to share in the festivities- Beecake, the film and concert, the panels on Sunday with Corey Olson, our own greendragon, David Salo, Doug Adams, and Howard Shore, and the fantastic Friday night TORn Moot. This weekend is definitely in the Top 2 of my All Time Favorite TORn Moots.

My wish is that those of you who couldn't be there this weekend will be able to join us all next October (same time, same place) for 'The Two Towers'.

Link to photos to come...

"...and back again."

batik
Tol Eressea

Oct 13 2009, 12:52am

Post #24 of 165 (3753 views)
Shortcut
great recap, magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

your thoughts on the city are very near my own of my visit in '06. Just imagine living in a town where the downtown traffic lights are set to "blink" after 7pm then >>> NYC!!!
Our time in Times Square was *dampened* by rain but we loved Central Park! Not nearly enough time to *really* explore though. I guess maybe a week would do!
Thanks for sharing your experiences and all the photos. Those with L and Earl--made me smile--great idea!

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Oct 13 2009, 4:01am

Post #25 of 165 (3730 views)
Shortcut
Thanks my friend - you are a scholar, a gentleman and a prankster! {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.