Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
NYC Moot - Sign offs, sign ons, meet ups, postings
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 8 2009, 1:03pm

Post #1 of 60 (549 views)
Shortcut
NYC Moot - Sign offs, sign ons, meet ups, postings Can't Post

Hi,
I hope it's ok to be starting this new thread, but the original sticky thread is getting so long that for people like me who are trying to keep in contact using mobile devices, the thread is becoming problematic to load and see the newest updates.

So I thought this might be a good thread to start for several purposes:
- for those who are going to be going totally offline for the duration of their trip (no access to posting or email), maybe they might like to post here when they are signing off
- for those who would like to connect over the weekend not necessarily by cell phone, but by just posting here, that you're going to be at a certain place and is anyone interested
- for those who might want to post updates or tips after seeing any sights or exhibits.

So for now.... bon voyage to those who are starting off on their quest... mission ... thing today :-)! Safe traveling to all and hope to meet many of you over the weekend!

Woooot!!

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Oct 8 2009, 1:06pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 8 2009, 4:04pm

Post #2 of 60 (215 views)
Shortcut
pre concert talks [In reply to] Can't Post

Doug was asked if there were going to be preconcert talks. His answer:
We're still working on this, actually. We're almost certain to hold a pre-concert talk on Saturday. Friday is a bit trickier. In short, we're only allowed to use the hall for so many hours per day. Friday is the orchestra's dress rehearsal, so a 30 minute talk may put us over the top for hours. Tacking extra hours onto the contract is incredibly expensive... like cost-of-a-small-house expensive!

I don't know that I'll have a definitive answer until just before the show. (No, I don't like that either, but there's little I can do.) As always, watch the Twitter feed. I'll try to make any last minute announcements there.

I don't do Twitter but you can access his Tweets (without any kind of sign in or subscription) on this page: http://twitter.com/DougAdamsLOTR

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 8 2009, 4:43pm

Post #3 of 60 (209 views)
Shortcut
Down to the last nanosecond [In reply to] Can't Post

Talk about last minute scheduling! Whew. Thanks for the link!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 8 2009, 6:27pm

Post #4 of 60 (193 views)
Shortcut
*waves* Have fun storming the castle! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 8 2009, 8:30pm

Post #5 of 60 (215 views)
Shortcut
Ack!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great that Saturday is open for me after 1 PM, barring Altaira's Central Park mini-lunch- moot running overtime...if anything last minute came up, I am SO there...providing I can find a way to get in for free:)

(PS Altaira: obviously I didn't catch you in time, and I don't have a callback # or Internet acess after tonight, so I guess we'll just hash this out at the Mixer)..I'm not getting into town till Friday morning.

Have a great trip everyone--and I am SO glad that I have one of the shortest trips there (only 2 1/2 hrs vvia good ol' Amtrak..providing the trains run on time:)

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 8 2009, 9:03pm

Post #6 of 60 (201 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo's birthday [In reply to] Can't Post

PS. *smacks forehead*

I do hope that someone remembered that Friday is Del Toro's birthday. I wish there was some way to acknowledge this fact at the Mixer! So if anyone is reading this tonight as they get settled in NY--(on cell phone/Internet access of whatever)..we should have a little shout -out.

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Oct 8 2009, 9:29pm

Post #7 of 60 (221 views)
Shortcut
maybe at the mixer we could create a birthday photo mathom [In reply to] Can't Post

with the TORnfolk and a poster ... banner ... thing

Any arty types who could do something big and bold?

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Oct 9 2009, 12:14am

Post #8 of 60 (201 views)
Shortcut
Yay! I'm in the Big Apple... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just checked in at the hotel, getting all settled in and ready to go see Billy Boyd tonight! Very excited. I'll be attending the big show tomorrow night, so I won't see most of you - but I look forward to meeting up hopefully on Sunday morning.

I just can't believe all this is happening. It's very surreal. Cool

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 9 2009, 1:06am

Post #9 of 60 (218 views)
Shortcut
Yay! *waves hi* [In reply to] Can't Post

Have a great time tonight. I'm going to the concert tomorrow night too - can't believe it's almost here! Hope to meet you on Sunday :-)!

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 9 2009, 1:38am

Post #10 of 60 (187 views)
Shortcut
Me ! Me! [In reply to] Can't Post

(raises hand*

I'm an artsy type...though a last-minute trip to the art store is of course out of the question...I'll bring down my packet of magic markers at least!

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 9 2009, 1:41am

Post #11 of 60 (183 views)
Shortcut
You can say that again... [In reply to] Can't Post

Part of me can't believe this is happening...:)
Hope you had a great trip. Half the fun is getting there...NOT in this case though!

11 hrs and counting until I leave.

So what's the weather like?

weathertop
Lorien

Oct 9 2009, 3:51am

Post #12 of 60 (182 views)
Shortcut
i'll be there too [In reply to] Can't Post

i'll be wearing the pink floyd darkside ball cap and the leather satchel (no its not a man bag!)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Oct 9 2009, 6:33am

Post #13 of 60 (204 views)
Shortcut
OMG!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Aside from the excruciating wait outside Joe's Pub, the night was AWESOME!!!!!

I'd never heard any of Beecake's music before, so I didn't know what to expect - but I LOVED the music. I'd somehow also forgotten what an amazing voice Billy had (foolish of me). It was great to see him let loose and really have fun with his music (though he was, admittedly, quite tired and hungry - he took the audience to task for having french fries right in front of him Wink).

It was really weird at first to see him in the flesh. It seems that I've seen him all these years as a part of celluloid film, and yet there he was - a living, breathing, real-life person. Smile

After the performance, I bought the group's album and had them all sign it and Billy also took a picture with me (and signed my FotR & Master and Commander dvds too). He was really nice and shook my hand, and even took a second picture after I found out the first one didn't come out quite right.

As if this wasn't all enough, there were some quick last minute "cameos" by Howard Shore and Elijah Wood. I think they were just there to lend their friend support though - they popped in and were gone within about 2 minutes. But I suspect I'll have they opportunity to get autographs and photos with them sometime later in the weekend (crosses fingers). I was literally about a foot and a half away from Elijah Wood though. Cool I actually recognized him from the back of his head before I even saw his face (lol).

All around - just an INCREDIBLE night. I'm absolutely bubbling with anticipation for tomorrow night!!!! Smile

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 9 2009, 10:25am

Post #14 of 60 (179 views)
Shortcut
And that was all in the first night?! [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG is right! What a night!

I've never heard his music before either but he does have a fantastic voice. And he always seemed really nice, I'm so glad to hear he really is that way in person, genuinely.

Did everyone recognize HS and EW too? What a great group of friends they are still!

That was such a great idea to bring your DVDs to be autographed!

Thank you for this fantastic review ... I didn't think it was possible to get even more excited for tonight, but now I am!! Can't wait!!

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 9 2009, 12:48pm

Post #15 of 60 (168 views)
Shortcut
"Where's Waldo?" :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be looking for that pink baseball cap Laugh!

mathom_lvr

Oct 9 2009, 2:25pm

Post #16 of 60 (172 views)
Shortcut
Ringers at 2 pm manuscript tour [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm only an occasional lurker on TORn, and this is my 1st event. Will be offline, and can't make the Friday gathering, but will be at the 2 p.m. manuscript tour Sat. Is anyone else attending?

FYI, you can hear Beecake's music here: http://www.myspace.com/beecakeband

Thanks!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 9 2009, 2:50pm

Post #17 of 60 (175 views)
Shortcut
I think they were both at the entire concert [In reply to] Can't Post

Elijah was sitting at a table behind us, and it seemed like he was there the whole concert. I saw Howard Shore before and after the concert, so I'm guessing he stayed for the whole thing.

Beecake was excellent. Definitely getting the album!

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

`Are these magic cloaks? ' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.

`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Oct 9 2009, 2:59pm

Post #18 of 60 (178 views)
Shortcut
aw shucks.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Leave it to me to not do the obvious thing and not look around the room for familiar faces during the show. I was sitting on the upper level, to the right. Were you all closer to the stage?

Regardless, last night was totally awesome. I woke up this morning - and the sudden memory of all the fun from last night had my stupid grin popping up again. I think I'm gonna load up Beecake's album on my iPod before setting out today. Smile

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 9 2009, 3:05pm

Post #19 of 60 (169 views)
Shortcut
We were close to the stage [In reply to] Can't Post

We were one of the first people to reserve, and we had a table on the left facing the stage. When Billy sat down and joked that the next song was for the people right in front of him, we were just off his left side. It was a great concert - just too short.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 9 2009, 3:07pm

Post #20 of 60 (208 views)
Shortcut
*ALERT FOR SATURDAY CONCERT* PRE-SHOW TALK WITH DOUG AND HOWARD [In reply to] Can't Post

Just got an e-mail from RCMH and there will be a pre-show talk with Howard Shore and Doug Adams at 6:30. Doors open at 6.

I've seen Doug and Howard do a similar talk before the LOTR Symphony and it's well worth seeing.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Oct 9 2009, 3:10pm

Post #21 of 60 (163 views)
Shortcut
Mr. Smeagirl and I will be there! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I deemed it the worst part of all my journey, the road back, watching him day and night, making him walk before me with a halter on his neck, gagged, until he was tamed by lack of drink and food, driving him ever towards Mirkwood."

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 9 2009, 4:51pm

Post #22 of 60 (174 views)
Shortcut
Special request from Earl [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, our list of talented TORnsibs just keeps getting longer and longer! Seems our own Earl won a number of prizes too! Congratulations to Earl and please check out this request going out to 'sibs with cameras' to take pictures of the fan art display at RCMH.

Way to go Earl, congratulations SmileSmileSmile!

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 9 2009, 6:08pm

Post #23 of 60 (186 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Loresilme.. and everyone else too [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you ALL have a great time this weekend Smile

"Crows and Gibbets! What is the House of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater sires."

_V_
Lorien

Oct 9 2009, 7:41pm

Post #24 of 60 (153 views)
Shortcut
I'm leaving for the moot now [In reply to] Can't Post

ReVolution of Evangelion

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

hobbithearted

Oct 9 2009, 8:11pm

Post #25 of 60 (149 views)
Shortcut
Argh! I can't get a ticket! [In reply to] Can't Post

Knew I should've bought one last YEAR! lol. I'm an hour away and no ticket. Must have the preciousss...been on Craigslis all day.

Might have to suck it up and buy the RCMH big ticket price.

Are most going tonight or tomorrow?

-Carolyn/HH

http://carolynmom.blogspot.com

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.