The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Transportation to and from Airports for RCMH event
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Oct 7 2009, 1:34pm

Post #26 of 51 (851 views)
Shortcut
anybody: How do people with strollers, groceries, canes, etc., get around daily? [In reply to] Can't Post

If anyone could please post websites or phone numbers for making transit inquiries, I'd be appreciative. If anyone has more advice, please PM me Heart

I can walk unassisted for short (half mile flat) distances at near-normal speed, but will be using (or carrying Unsure) a wheeled walker all weekend.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

(This post was edited by ElanorTX on Oct 7 2009, 1:43pm)

maegwen
Sr. Staff

Oct 7 2009, 1:42pm

Post #27 of 51 (811 views)
Shortcut
Well, good point [In reply to] Can't Post

They're also in the same boat, obviously, lol.

But are also used to do it, and most likely not making as long of a trip AND don't have a better alternative!

Traveling is stressful enough, imo, so any way you can make it easier is a good thing! :)

I'll message you some links, if you feel that's better.

hudsonst

Oct 7 2009, 3:18pm

Post #28 of 51 (812 views)
Shortcut
Laguardia is not too bad, if you take the M60 bus [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're going to or from Laguardia Airport, I would consider the bus to the train. You can take the M60 public bus to the N Astoria Boulevard station, and be in Manhattan in under an hour. It's pretty simple, and $2.50. You just need to remember to ask for a transfer when you get on the bus.

I would NOT suggest the train to and from JFK. Seriously, unless you just have a backpack. Share a cab, take the Airport shuttle bus to Port Authority, whatever, but it's a major hassle and not worth the aggravation. I did it ONCE, and never again. Take it from a native.

Tamara
Rivendell

Oct 7 2009, 9:50pm

Post #29 of 51 (793 views)
Shortcut
Checking w my friend [In reply to] Can't Post

Just waiting to hear if she can access both our flight info in time to coordinate. If I'm running late, then we'd be around the same time. She's figuring out how far apart our two terminals are too (Jet Blue and Virgin).
---Tamara

Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'm headed for Minas Tirith (New Zealand) in 2011!

maegwen
Sr. Staff

Oct 7 2009, 9:52pm

Post #30 of 51 (794 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm, everyone has a different opinion, lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Never had a problem, to be honest, but I suspect that one experience is not like the other! I wonder if non-natives would feel the same? I live in the NYC area, and have traveled from the airport often, for what it's worth. Though I have no idea about Laguardia!

But, in the end, do what your pocketbook feels it can best afford :)

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Oct 7 2009, 9:53pm

Post #31 of 51 (813 views)
Shortcut
Some random useful taxi info. [In reply to] Can't Post

Official TLC (Taxi & Limousine Commission) website.

Whenever you take a taxi, be sure to note the taxi number (technically called a medallion number, but I've always heard them called taxi numbers), which is prominently displayed in various places both outside and inside the taxi. If you forget something in the taxi, there's actually a pretty good chance you can get it back if you made note of the taxi number. This is also good to have if the driver does something wrong and you want to file a complaint.

If you get a taxi from JFK or LGA (and maybe other airports, but I don't know for sure), the guy working at the taxi stand will hand you a little (IIRC) bright yellow paper with basic info. about taxi service and fares. You should definitely read this so you'll know if your driver is trying to overcharge you. It also has contact info. for the TLC in case you need to contact them about your ride.

All taxi drivers are required to take credit cards. This is somewhat recent, and some of them are angry about it. Some have been known to lie and say their machine is broken, or there's an extra fee for using a credit card. If you say you don't have any cash, the machine will mysteriously start working again. There are FAQs about credit card payments here.

Unfortunately some cabbies still do try to rip people off. I had a cabbie try to add "tolls" to the fare when there hadn't been any tolls. I filed a complaint and went to the hearing, and he got fined $250. But then he looked so sad, I felt kind of bad for him. Unsure

All that said, I hardly ever take taxis unless I'm carrying something really large and/or heavy. It's much cheaper, and often faster, to walk or take the subway for most trips within the city.

Hope this is useful. Smile

"I deemed it the worst part of all my journey, the road back, watching him day and night, making him walk before me with a halter on his neck, gagged, until he was tamed by lack of drink and food, driving him ever towards Mirkwood."

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 7 2009, 10:25pm

Post #32 of 51 (803 views)
Shortcut
taxis over charging [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems like taxis over charging are not an issue from the airport as that is a set fee, correct?

But it could be an issue from the hotel to the airport, correct?

In that case, what would be a reasonable fee? We can't file a complaint and attend a hearing. I wouldn't even know what was reasonable or not.

I think we'll have two carry on bags (like tote bags, essentially) and two large pieces of luggage. So it sounds as if the subways and trains might be more than we want to hassle with.

We considered the shuttles. One drawback mentioned with them is that they make a lot of stops but then someone said that taxis were slower than subways so how do taxis and shuttles compare in regards to time.

But since there are two of us, the taxi from the airport is not that much higher than two spots on the shuttle so my husband said, 'let's do the taxi'.

However, is the ride from the hotel to the airport going to be a little more than the set $45 rate from the other direction or double that? What do we do if the guy says '$100'? I just feel a bit helpless in that we have nothing to base a sense of reasonableness on. Should we go with the shuttles from the hotel to the airport to keep from getting ripped off? And if so, any prompts on where I would pick them up? (I could look online if I know tonight that's what I want to do.)

It doesn't look like anyone is coming in or leaving at the same time as us so sharing a cab is not looking promising.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 7 2009, 10:46pm

Post #33 of 51 (804 views)
Shortcut
No set fees [In reply to] Can't Post

for a taxi in either direction from the hotel or the airport. It's all based on the meter.

Although this option is the most expensive, you can be absolutely confident if you use the car service from the hotel. It is a set fee and the driver has every incentive to get you to your destination.

A shuttle service, despite the multiple stops, is usually my preferred option when I'm in a strange city. They are professionally operated and have a set fee depending on your destination. You know in advance how much you will be paying, and that doesn't change even if the traffic is horrid.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

`Are these magic cloaks? ' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.

`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 7 2009, 10:59pm

Post #34 of 51 (801 views)
Shortcut
taxi fees [In reply to] Can't Post

You say there are no set fees but I thought Garfeimao (first few posts after my initial post) said there was for leaving the airport. Now I'm really confused.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 7 2009, 11:15pm

Post #35 of 51 (804 views)
Shortcut
The last time I was in New York [In reply to] Can't Post

I paid the meter fee. According to this link: http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml there is a flat fee only from JFK. That's probably why I paid a metered fare - I nearly always fly in to LGA.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 7 2009, 11:20pm

Post #36 of 51 (799 views)
Shortcut
Okay. that makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

Somehow I ended up at a page that was explaining the rate from JFK to Manhattan. So I just finished reading that page.

What is a range of what you have paid from Manhattan to LGA (if that's the route you take when you visit NYC)?

There has been a lot of advice given and it's run the whole range. If you were traveling from Park Central to LGA, would you take a taxi or a shuttle? Have you used a shuttle you liked?

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Garfeimao
Rohan

Oct 7 2009, 11:55pm

Post #37 of 51 (811 views)
Shortcut
no biggie if you can't do it [In reply to] Can't Post

Turns out Annemarie and gkgyver are coming in from Germany at exactly the same time as our flight, so we can hook up with them and share a ride. They have to go through customs, but that will give us time to check out the ground transportation while we wait for them to emerge from the terminal the plays host to Air Berlin.

So, if you guys hang, awesome, and if not, no biggie, we'll come in with the German contingent.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle earth

My page in the Traveling Journal

Tamara
Rivendell

Oct 8 2009, 12:05am

Post #38 of 51 (781 views)
Shortcut
I've got your number in my cell, so I'll call either way.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'm headed for Minas Tirith (New Zealand) in 2011!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 8 2009, 12:06am

Post #39 of 51 (799 views)
Shortcut
I'm taking a taxi [In reply to] Can't Post

but I've done this several times, so I can avoid being scammed with a large fare.

It's usually $35-$40 from LGA to Manhattan, and about the same back.

Here's a fare estimator: http://nyccabfare.com/

I did it for LGA to the Park Central, and it came out about $30 with tip. That seems a little low, but that completely depends on the time of day, the weather and traffic. I don't know if that fare includes tolls. The reverse route is probably the same fare.

I guess, for you, your best choice is what makes you more comfortable. A taxi is more direct, but there is a risk that the cabbie will charge you too much or take the longest route. The route on the link above is via the Midtown Tunnel. Either that or the Queensboro Bridge are the most direct. The Triborough Bridge is a route that could take a long time, because it makes you go way north of Central Park.

It's hard to say "tell the cab driver to take the Midtown Tunnel" because they usually have up-to-the-minute knowledge about the traffic or construction. Sometimes the most direct route will take the longest! So I usually ask the driver which route is fastest - the QB bridge or the tunnel - and if they don't know, I ask them to take the Midtown Tunnel.

A shuttle will probably take longer, but the driver has a vested interest in getting you to your destination, and there's no advantage in taking a circuitous route.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Oct 8 2009, 12:09am)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 8 2009, 12:15am

Post #40 of 51 (794 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Radhruin
Rohan

Oct 8 2009, 12:55am

Post #41 of 51 (790 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, another question for you [In reply to] Can't Post

The LIRR sounds okay, but I'm getting some of the same warnings with that as with the subway in regards to luggage, etc... Are you familiar with the Shuttle Service that hudsonst recommended? Am I correct that it is $27 for a round-trip which will go directly to and from the Park Central Hotel? If so, I'm leaning toward using the shuttle. From what I see, the downside of the shuttle is the length of trip (over and hour), but I don't mind that to avoid the hastle of a train, or the cost of a taxi.

Hmmm....kind of confused now.

"Too many times we've been postally pipped
We've loaded the saddles, the mickeys are slipped
We're swapping the turf for the sand and the surf and the sin
'Cause the fix, the fix is in..."

~Elbow

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 8 2009, 1:26am

Post #42 of 51 (796 views)
Shortcut
The Park Central is a Midtown Hotel [In reply to] Can't Post

so it would appear that it qualifies for the $27 fare, per person, round trip. Depending on the other passengers, you will have a nice, quick ride to your hotel, or you'll get a tour of Midtown Manhattan. Shuttles can be a great way to see the city! Get your map and watch for the street signs.

Transportation to and from the airports is truly a case of you get what you pay for. You can take public transportation, which is the least expensive option, but you get no one to answer your questions, secure your luggage, make sure you have a seat, and ensure a clean, comfortable ride. A car service, the most expensive option, is clean, safe, comfortable, attentive and direct to your destination. You can decide what you require in your transportation, and what you are willing to pay for it.

A lot of things can go wrong on the train, and if anything happens, you're on your own. Not so with a shuttle, car service or taxi.

For someone's first visit to NYC, I would encourage the shuttle, car service or taxi. You want something that will take you door to door. On your next visit, you can have an adventure and take the train!

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Radhruin
Rohan

Oct 8 2009, 1:33am

Post #43 of 51 (787 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much [In reply to] Can't Post

for the explanation and advice. I think I've made my decision for the shuttle. :)

"Too many times we've been postally pipped
We've loaded the saddles, the mickeys are slipped
We're swapping the turf for the sand and the surf and the sin
'Cause the fix, the fix is in..."

~Elbow

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 8 2009, 1:39am

Post #44 of 51 (791 views)
Shortcut
The shuttle looks like a great deal [In reply to] Can't Post

and it gives you a chance to get a free mini-tour!

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 8 2009, 12:45pm

Post #45 of 51 (785 views)
Shortcut
One other option [In reply to] Can't Post

that we are taking so we do not have to bother with 'other' support factors and cost is we are walking from Penn Station right straight up 7th ave the 19 blocks to the hotel. That is even a better 'get close' kind of tour. We will be carrying everything in backpacks so to be hands free.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Oct 8 2009, 1:45pm

Post #46 of 51 (805 views)
Shortcut
They can't charge more than what's on the meter. [In reply to] Can't Post

You can see the meter from the back seats, so just glance over at it once in a while, and you can see how it's ticking up. As an extremely rough guesstimate, it will probably be $40-something from the airport. It depends on traffic though.

You'll want to give a tip too, especially if the driver helps with your luggage, which he probably will. I don't know what's a standard percentage, but most people tend to be pretty generous I think. These guys do have tough jobs.

If he said, "That'll be $100," you should say "Don't be ridiculous -- the meter says $xx." That's very unlikely though.

I don't know anything about the shuttles, sorry.

With your amount of luggage, I agree that public transportation would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

As I said, all the basic information about fares and so forth is on the little yellow paper they'll hand you at the airport. It's probably on the TLC website somewhere too, though I haven't looked.

"I deemed it the worst part of all my journey, the road back, watching him day and night, making him walk before me with a halter on his neck, gagged, until he was tamed by lack of drink and food, driving him ever towards Mirkwood."

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 8 2009, 1:57pm

Post #47 of 51 (781 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

A common strategy is to take the longest route possible, then when the meter starts creeping up, the passenger has the option to either get out of the cab in an unfamiliar area, or continue to the destination at an outrageous price. The cabbies will offer to shut off the meter and take the passenger to their destination, but the price they offer is far in excess of what it should be.

It is important to keep an eye on the meter - $40-50 before tip is expected, but $100 is not.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 8 2009, 2:07pm

Post #48 of 51 (782 views)
Shortcut
Wow. Simple advice but helpful [In reply to] Can't Post

They can't make up a number (yes, I've been in a cab...twice. And once the driver got lost even though we told him how to get there and he ignored us)

What is standard tip?

Yikes, I was going to ask and forgot.

We're taking a cab from JFK and deciding how to get to LGA on Sunday once we get there.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 8 2009, 6:48pm

Post #49 of 51 (778 views)
Shortcut
Tip is about [In reply to] Can't Post

15% or so. The cabbie will also add tolls, but that will appear on the right side of the meter.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Oct 8 2009, 7:38pm

Post #50 of 51 (781 views)
Shortcut
This is all good advice. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Smeagirl travels a lot more than I do, and this is exactly what he does, taking the LIRR (instead of the subway) to the AirTrain.

I take the subway because it's cheaper, but . . . well, I'm just cheap. Evil

You make a good point about the difficulty of carrying large items on the subway. There isn't really a good spot for them, and people might give you dirty looks if you're obstructing traffic in and out of the doors. By contrast, the LIRR cars have open areas designed for wheelchairs, which I've never actually seen a wheelchair in, so you can put your luggage there and not inconvenience anyone.

A totally random funny thing to notice if you take the LIRR: these trains have an unusually wide gap between the train and platform, compared to other train lines. Apparently this is only a problem if you get too drunk to walk properly, because every year or two someone falls into the gap while drunk, and then sues the LIRR. With each lawsuit, the LIRR adds another "caution" or "mind the gap" sort of sign near the door (though I can't imagine this making a difference to someone too drunk to walk properly), and I think they're up to about a dozen around each door now. Plus they make announcements about this with annoying frequency. I find it rather comical.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.