The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
TORn gathering at Connolly's this Friday Oct. 9 in NYC

Glaurung63
Lorien

Oct 5 2009, 4:04am

Post #1 of 15 (330 views)
Shortcut
TORn gathering at Connolly's this Friday Oct. 9 in NYC Can't Post

Hey all who are coming to NYC for this weekend's (holy mofo, its THIS WEEKEND) FOTR at Radio City....anyone going to the get together at Connolly's pub on Friday night??? $50 something gets you three hours of drinks and food and TORn folks, in one place at one time in the city that never sleeps....I know, I don't want to be too hung over for Saturday's show, but this sounds like a great time....who's going??? I think I'll have to pay at the door...
I am trying to convince some local friends that this would be a great idea....

Also, where are people hanging out on Saturday before the show, what hotel, bar, restaurant, etc. And any after parties??? Billy Boyd's band is at Joe's Pub, but will probably sell out and he starts playing near the end of FOTR, so I doubt I'll make that....

I know the manuscript tour is booked all Saturday, and I registered for 1 or 2pm Sunday, provided I have recovered from the epic event....lol....

My birthday was Sept. 30, and I saw Springsteen that night....playing all of Born To Run...the week before I saw U2 land a spaceship in Giants Stadium.....but this event, in my own mind, dare I say it.....rivals both....I can't wait!

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Oct 5 2009, 5:21am

Post #2 of 15 (218 views)
Shortcut
Check out the Moot forum under Off Topic [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that, at one point, there was a thread about all the people interested in such a thing. I know I'll be attending.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography ~ My LOTR fan fiction

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2009, 8:49am

Post #3 of 15 (223 views)
Shortcut
I'll be there... though I [In reply to] Can't Post

drink, I know that it's going to be VERY MUCH like the moot we had just before the RotK Oscars in 2004. Yeah... prepare for some major fun with the energy of so many sibbies in one place :)

If you (or anyone reading this) had indicated they were going to pay ahead of time, please send in your $ asap.... like today ;) The day is almost here... and arrangements sorta, kinda hafta be finalized for the pub!

Ainu Laire's suggestion to head over to the Moot Board (don't forget the 2 sticky notes at the top of the page) will have your head spinning with how much has been organized and the mountain of information of sightseeing possibilities, transport, events, and even what the weather's going to be like ;)

See You Soon G63!!!!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

deej
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2009, 12:57pm

Post #4 of 15 (226 views)
Shortcut
That's great! [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes - PLEASE RSVP so the folks in charge know how many will be there. Everyone is welcome!

Cool

"...and back again."

elentari3018
Rohan

Oct 7 2009, 3:20am

Post #5 of 15 (193 views)
Shortcut
I think i can make it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Where is Connolly's and is that the main TORN moot before Saturday?

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 7 2009, 3:46am

Post #6 of 15 (192 views)
Shortcut
See Altaira's post above [In reply to] Can't Post

She's got all the details about events this weekend.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

`Are these magic cloaks? ' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.

`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Sunflower
Valinor

Oct 7 2009, 6:06am

Post #7 of 15 (195 views)
Shortcut
Hey Glaurung! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw that "Spaceship" land too! (2nd night, Sept 24, it was...)

What show were you at, where in the stadium, and what was your highlight?

(I was just above the GA, Edge's side of the stage.. and for me, among the new songs..."Moment of Surrender"!

weathertop
Rohan

Oct 8 2009, 1:16am

Post #8 of 15 (205 views)
Shortcut
any after hours plans [In reply to] Can't Post

that those of us at friday's show can stop at after the show. i'm assuming they'll be kicking you out of this place at some point...

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 8 2009, 1:29am

Post #9 of 15 (185 views)
Shortcut
Party ends at 10 [In reply to] Can't Post

but there are no official after-plans. It's hard to say where people will end up. The hotel bar might be worth checking out. That is usually a favorite gathering place - we closed the hotel bar every night at the Marquette conference. Our dear friend Balin introduced all of us to Brandy Alexanders and they were a staple each night.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

`Are these magic cloaks? ' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.

`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

elentari3018
Rohan

Oct 8 2009, 2:48am

Post #10 of 15 (176 views)
Shortcut
Are you referencing the sticky note on top of board? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks~

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Altaira
Superuser

Oct 8 2009, 9:40pm

Post #11 of 15 (181 views)
Shortcut
---> Meet up with the Avari [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth and I have been trying to coordinate a meetup with the TORn alums, as their Friday night dinner ends at 10:30. She suggested we come to where their gathering is, and I suggested they come to where our gathering is, and I haven't heard back from her. (I added this to the Official Info thread the other day).

Our restaurant may be a better choice at this point because I'm told we may have a special guest show up and they may not want to walk to another place. That's all I'm sayin. WinkLaugh

If any of the Avari see this, PM me for my cell number so we can coordinate. It's a perfect opportunity because our restaurants are only a few blocks apart! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

weathertop
Rohan

Oct 9 2009, 3:57am

Post #12 of 15 (170 views)
Shortcut
i'm guessing the show won't end till about 11pm [In reply to] Can't Post

as the movie is ~3 hours long, and with an intermission if it starts right at 7:30...

ill PM you for your cell #

Glaurung63
Lorien

Oct 9 2009, 5:16am

Post #13 of 15 (167 views)
Shortcut
I was at your show! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was four rows up from the floor....it was great, could see the whole stage show....during City of Blinding Lights they shot lights into the sky that looked like the 9/11 tribute....crazy....loved it all...

am going to Connolly's friday night, hope to see you at some point
Peace

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Oct 9 2009, 8:03am

Post #14 of 15 (170 views)
Shortcut
more than one Connelly's -- don't get lost! [In reply to] Can't Post

Connelly's Pub, 121 W 45th St ***

*** Caution: This pub has four locations. Make sure you go to the right one, between 6th and 7th Av a few blocks south of Rockefeller Center and north of Times Square.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2009, 12:28am

Post #15 of 15 (203 views)
Shortcut
Many thanks to the mix-and-mingle organizers [In reply to] Can't Post

Laerasea's quiz prize was hand-delivered today (Tues pm).
I was surprised to win as well; does anyone have my entry or at least a blank quiz?

Also thanks to
people helping me on the stairs
people making sure I got to talk with David Salo - a real highlight of the whole trip for me
Laerasea's NYU friend Laura being brave enough to come alone; I hope she saw some of you at the Sat concert
swap table organizers
photographers and banner makers
name tag makers
goodie bag fillers and packers - everyone support the Idaho Potato Commission!

I never got to the food table till closing but surely it was excellent as well.

ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.