grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 4 2009, 12:32pm

Post #1 of 18 (328 views)
Shortcut
TIME - October 4 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

October 4, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf leaves Weathertop and rides to Rivendell.
(from the appendices)
..."'At sunrise I escaped and fled towards the north. I could not hope to do more. It was impossible to find you, Frodo, in the wilderness, and it would have been folly to try with all the Nine at my heels. So I had to trust to Aragorn. But I hoped to draw some of them off, and yet reach Rivendell ahead of you and send out help. Four Riders did indeed follow me, but they turned back after a while and made for the Ford, it seems. That helped a little, for there were only five, not nine, when your camp was attacked.'"

October 4, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The hobbits reach the end of their rest in Rivendell.
(not from the appendices)
..."When nearly a fortnight had passed Frodo looked out of his window... ...suddenly he knew that he must go, and say good-bye to Bilbo.... ...He had a feeling that it was time he went back to the Shire. Sam shared it....
...In the evening they went to say good-bye to Bilbo. 'Well, if you must go, you must,' he said. 'I am sorry, I shall miss you. It is nice just to know that you are about the place. But I am getting very sleepy.' Then he gave Frodo his mithril-coat and Sting, forgetting that he had already done so; and he gave him also three books of lore that he had made at various times, written in his spidery hand, and labelled on their red backs: Translations from the Elvish, by B. B.
...To Sam he gave a little bag of gold. 'Almost the last drop of the Smaug vintage,' he said. 'May come in useful, if you think of getting married, Sam.' Sam blushed.
...'I have nothing much to give to you young fellows,' he said to Merry and Pippin, 'except good advice.' And when he had given them a fair sample of this, he added a last item in Shire-fashion: 'Don't let your heads get too big for your hats! But if you don’t finish growing up soon, you are going to find hats and clothes expensive.'
...'But if you want to beat the Old Took,' said Pippin, 'I don't see why we shouldn't try and beat the Bullroarer.'
...Bilbo laughed, and he produced out a pocket two beautiful pipes with pearl mouth-pieces and bound with fine-wrought silver. 'Think of me when you smoke them,' he said. 'The Elves made them for me, but I don't smoke now.' And suddenly he nodded and went to sleep for a little; and when he woke up again he said: 'Now where were we? Yes, of course, giving presents. Which reminds me: what's become of my ring, Frodo, that you took away?'
...'I have lost it, Bilbo dear,' said Frodo. 'I got rid of it, you know.'
...'What a pity!' said Bilbo. 'I should have liked to see it again. But no, how silly of me! That's what you went for, wasn't it: to get rid of it? But it is all so confusing...'"

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 4 2009, 1:17pm

Post #2 of 18 (231 views)
Shortcut
"The Elves made them for me" [In reply to] Can't Post

I can just imagine an Elf-smith working the design on one of them, an amused smile on his face as he does his best craft for a small friend. Smoking, of all things! But these Elves would have also been used to the Rangers' smoking habits - and a certain wizard's.

Time and old age have most definitely caught up with Bilbo! This is where he most reminds me of Tolkien, in his older years, with everyone asking when he would finish the Silmarillion...and I think he'd just gotten tired, and confused (in an elderly way), and that work had become so huge and daunting!

He really did sacrifice the Sil in order to complete LotR...Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 4 2009, 6:28pm

Post #3 of 18 (262 views)
Shortcut
I wonder when Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

began to think about gifts for his young hobbits. I imagine he did it quite a lot as he waited for word... to keep away any fear.

I also wonder if he picked up on Frodo and what he was feeling/thinking. There must have been a connection there at some level. Bilbo certainly was in Frodo's thoughts. You'd think that their closeness alone would be there... but who knows what the Ring's influence/presence on both of them would do.

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 5 2009, 12:41am

Post #4 of 18 (221 views)
Shortcut
At the moment [In reply to] Can't Post

when the Ring was consumed by the Fire...I wonder if Bilbo sensed anything, or if he was "insulated" in Rivendell...

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2009, 1:34am

Post #5 of 18 (213 views)
Shortcut
Ohh... [In reply to] Can't Post

a la book or film? In the book, his aging started as soon as the Ring was destroyed... so I'll bet you're right. I hadn't thought about that before. Do you think Elrond moved to be nearby... sensing something himself?

Things to ponder.

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2009, 8:35am

Post #6 of 18 (276 views)
Shortcut
TIME - October 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

October 5, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
The Elven King suspected the Dwarves' intentions.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth-no text)
..."[Thranduil] did not believe in the dwarves fighting and killing dragons like Smaug, and he strongly suspected attempted burglary or something like it—which shows he was a wise elf and wiser than the men of the town, though not quite right, as we shall see in the end. He sent out his spies about the shores of the lake and as far northward towards the Mountains as they would go, and waited."

October 5, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf draws the Nazgûl away from Weathertop.
..."'I hoped to draw some of them off... ...Four Riders did indeed follow me...'"
2. Day six in the Wild
..."'... they left the last straggling pools and reed-beds of the marshes behind them... ...Away in the distance eastward they could now see a line of hills. The highest of them was at the right of the line and a little separated from the others. It had a conical top, slightly flattened at the summit.
...'That is Weathertop,' said Strider. 'The Old Road, which we have left far away on our right, runs to the south of it and passes not far from its foot. We might reach it by noon tomorrow, if we go straight towards it. I suppose we had better do so.'
...'What do you mean?' asked Frodo.
...'I mean: when we do get there, it is not certain what we shall find. It is close to the Road.'
...'But surely we were hoping to find Gandalf there?'
...'Yes; but the hope is faint... ...it is not safe for him or for us to wait there long... ...there are many birds and beasts in the country that could see us, as we stand here, from that hilltop. Not all the birds are to be trusted, and there are other spies more evil than they are.'
...The hobbits looked anxiously at the distant hills. Sam looked up into the pale sky, fearing to see hawks or eagles hovering over them with bright unfriendly eyes. 'You do make me feel uncomfortable and lonesome, Strider!' he said."

October 5, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Gandalf and the Hobbits leave Rivendell.
(from the appendices)
..."...Gandalf and the hobbits took leave of Bilbo in his room, for it was cold out of doors; and then they said farewell to Elrond and all his household.
...As Frodo stood upon the threshold, Elrond wished him a fair journey, and blessed him, and he said:
...'I think, Frodo, that maybe you will not need to come back, unless you come very soon. For about this time of the year, when the leaves are gold before they fall, look for Bilbo in the woods of the Shire. I shall be with him.'
...These words no one else heard, and Frodo kept them to himself.
...At last the hobbits had their faces turned towards home. They were eager now to see the Shire again; but at first they rode only slowly, for Frodo had been ill at ease...'"

October 5, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
1. The Grey Havens are left behind, the Shire lies ahead.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...The hobbits were in familiar lands now coming to their last evening of travel. While Pippin and Merry prepared camp for the night, Sam wandered down to a nearby stream. He was still troubled and thought a splash of cold water would clear his mind. As he washed his neck and face, he raised up and caught his reflection in the surface. Lingering, he found himself studying the small scar near his hairline. It stirred thoughts of Frodo lying stricken for days in Rivendell; bound in a darkened, filthy room high in the tower; lifeless below the cliff; struggling through Mordor's brutal lands under the torment of the Eye and the Ring, and Sam suddenly understood that there was nothing he could do to change what had happened or what was happening. He realized Frodo's choice was the only one left for him.
...He stood for a moment and sighed while looking at the glowing image of the moon and stars reflected in the calm water. Then he turned and walked back to join the others.

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 5 2009, 10:39am

Post #7 of 18 (218 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil knew [In reply to] Can't Post

those Dwarves well, and knew they were no match for a Dragon! But he also knew the effect that "burglary" of any kind, or of any object, great or small, would have on such a beast...

"When the leaves are gold before they fall": I was thinking about this line, when looking at Aunt Dora's golden Aspen pics. Imagine a party of Elves travelling beneath such beauty, their last look at Middle-earth before passing West!

It's easy to forget about Sam's scar, his visible wound, with so much else going on then! But like any scar, it brings back the memories of certain times and places...and he will never forget, and still find grief there, but wisdom also.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 6 2009, 8:23am

Post #8 of 18 (503 views)
Shortcut
TIME - October 6 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

October 6, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Thorin requests supplies
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."At the end of a fortnight Thorin began to think of departure. While the enthusiasm still lasted in the town was the time to get help. It would not do to let everything cool down with delay. So he spoke to the Master and his councillors and said that soon he and his company must go on towards the Mountain.
...Then for the first time the Master was surprised and a little frightened; and he wondered if Thorin was after all really a descendant of the old kings. He had never thought that the dwarves would actually dare to approach Smaug, but believed they were frauds who would sooner or later be discovered and be turned out. He was wrong. Thorin, of course, was really the grandson of the King under the Mountain, and there is no knowing what a dwarf will not dare and do for revenge or the recovery of his own.
...But the Master was not sorry at all to let them go. They were expensive to keep, and their arrival had turned things into a long holiday in which business was at a standstill. "Let them go and bother Smaug, and see how he welcomes them!" he thought. "Certainly, O Thorin Thrain's son Thrór's son!" was what he said. "You must claim your own. The hour is at hand, spoken of old. What help we can offer shall be yours, and we trust to your gratitude when your kingdom is regained.""

October 6, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf heads for Rivendell after escaping Weathertop.
..."I hoped to draw some of them off, and yet reach Rivendell ahead of you and send out help. Four Riders did indeed follow me, but they turned back after a while and made for the Ford, it seems. That helped a little, for there were only five, not nine, when your camp was attacked.'
2. The camp under Weathertop attacked at night. Frodo is wounded.
(from the appendices)
..."Well, here we are!' said Merry. 'And very cheerless and uninviting it looks! There is no water and no shelter. And no sign of Gandalf. But I don't blame him for not waiting—if he ever came here....'
......They stood for a while silent on the hill-top, near its southward edge. In that lonely place Frodo for the first time fully realized his homelessness and danger. He wished bitterly that his fortune had left him in the quiet and beloved Shire. He stared down at the hateful Road, leading back westward—to his home. Suddenly he was aware that two black specks were moving slowly along it, going westward; and looking again he saw that three others were creeping eastward to meet them. He gave a cry and clutched Strider's arm.
...'Look,' he said, pointing downwards.
...At once Strider flung himself on the ground behind the ruined circle, pulling Frodo down beside him. Merry threw himself alongside.
...'What is it?' he whispered.
...'I do not know, but I fear the worst,' answered Strider...

......Sam and Merry got up and walked away from the fire. Frodo and Pippin remained seated in silence. Strider was watching the moonlight on the hill intently. All seemed quiet and still, but Frodo felt a cold dread creeping over his heart, now that Strider was no longer speaking. He huddled closed to the fire. At that moment Sam came running back from the edge of the dell.
...'I don't know what it is,' he said, 'but I suddenly felt afraid. I durstn't go outside this dell for any money; I felt that something was creeping up the slope....'
...'Keep close to the fire, with your faces outward!' cried Strider. 'Get some of the longer sticks ready in your hands..!'
......Over the lip of the little dell, on the side away from the hill, they felt, rather than saw, a shadow rise, one shadow or more than one. They strained their eyes, and the shadows seemed to grow. Soon there could be no doubt: three or four tall black figures were standing there on the slope, looking down on them. So black were they that they seemed like black holes in the deep shade behind them. Frodo thought that he heard a faint hiss as of venomous breath and felt a thin piercing chill. Then the shapes slowly advanced.
...Terror overcame Pippin and Merry, and they threw themselves flat on the ground. Sam shrank to Frodo's side. Frodo was hardly less terrified than his companions; he was quaking as if he was bitter cold, but his terror was swallowed up in a sudden temptation to put on the Ring. The desire to do this laid hold of him, and he could think of nothing else... ...He could not speak. He felt Sam looking at him, as if he knew that his master was in some great trouble, but he could not turn towards him. He shut his eyes and struggled for a while; but resistance became unbearable, and at last he slowly drew out the chain, and slipped the Ring on the forefinger of his left hand.
...Immediately, though everything else remained as before, dim and dark, the shapes became terribly clear. He was able to see beneath their black wrappings. There were five tall figures; two standing on the lip of the dell, three advancing..... ...Their eyes fell on him and pierced him, as they rushed towards him. Desperate, he drew his own sword, and it seemed to him that it flickered red, as if it was a firebrand. Two of the figures halted. The third was taller than the others: his hair was long and gleaming and on his helm was a crown. In one hand he held a long sword, and in the other a knife; both the knife and the hand that held it glowed with a pale light. He sprang forward and bore down on Frodo.
...At that moment Frodo threw himself forward on the ground, and he heard himself crying aloud: O Elbereth! Gilthoniel! At the same time he struck at the feet of his enemy. A shrill cry rang out in the night; and he felt a pain like a dart of poisoned ice pierce his left shoulder. Even as he swooned he caught, as though a swirling mist, a glimpse of Strider leaping out of the darkness with a flaming brand of wood in either hand. With a last effort, dropping his sword, Frodo slipped the Ring from his finger and closed his right hand tight upon it.
...When Frodo came to himself he was still clutching the Ring desperately. He was lying by the fire, which was now piled high and burning brightly. His three companions were bending over him.
...'What has happened? Where is the pale king?' he asked wildly....

......Sam plainly was beginning to have doubts again about Strider; but while they were talking he returned, appearing suddenly out of the shadows. They started, and Sam drew his sword and stood over Frodo; but Strider knelt down swiftly by his side.
...'I am not a Black Rider, Sam,' he said gently, 'nor in league with them. I have been trying to discover something of their movements; but I have found nothing. I cannot think why they have gone and do not attack again. But there is no feeling of their presence anywhere at hand.'
...When he heard what Frodo had to tell, he became full of concern, and shook his head and sighed... ...he got up and walked away, and called Sam to him. 'I think I understand things better now,' he said in a low voice. 'There seem only to have been five of the enemy. Why they were not all here, I don't know; but I don't think they expected to be resisted. They have drawn off for the time being. But not far, I fear. They will come again another night, if we cannot escape. They are only waiting, because they think that their purpose is almost accomplished, and that the Ring cannot fly much further. I fear, Sam, that they believe your master has a deadly wound that will subdue him to their will. We shall see!'
...Sam choked with tears. 'Don't despair!' said Strider. 'You must trust me now. Your Frodo is made of sterner stuff than I had guessed, though Gandalf hinted that it might prove so. He is not slain, and I think he will resist the evil power of the wound longer than his enemies will expect. I will do all I can to help and heal him. Guard him well, while I am away!' He hurried off and disappeared again into the darkness.'"

October 6, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. They cross the Ford of Bruinen; Frodo feels the first return of pain.
(from the appendices)
..."When they came to the Ford of Bruinen, he had halted, and seemed loth to ride into the stream; and they noted that for a while his eyes appeared not to see them or things about him. All that day he was silent. It was the sixth of October.
...'Are you in pain, Frodo?' said Gandalf quietly as he rode by Frodo's side.
...'Well, yes I am,' said Frodo. 'It is my shoulder. The wound aches, and the memory of darkness is heavy on me. It was a year ago today.'
...'Alas! there are some wounds that cannot be wholly cured,' said Gandalf.
...'I fear it may be so with mine,' said Frodo. 'There is no real going back. Though I may come to the Shire, it will not seem the same; for I shall not be the same. I am wounded with knife, sting, and tooth, and a long burden. Where shall I find rest?'
...Gandalf did not answer."

October 6, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Frodo is again ill.
(from the appendices)
..."One evening Sam came into the study and found his master looking very strange. He was very pale and his eyes seemed to see things far away.
...'What's the matter, Mr. Frodo?' said Sam.
...'I am wounded,' he answered, 'wounded; it will never really heal.'"

October 6, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
1. Samwise returns to Bag End.
(from the appendices)
..."At last they rode over the downs and took the East Road, and then Merry and Pippin rode on to Buckland; and already they were singing again as they went. But Sam turned to Bywater, and so came back up the Hill, as day was ending once more. And he went on, and there was yellow light, and fire within; and the evening meal was ready, and he was expected. And Rose drew him in, and set him in his chair, and put little Elanor upon his lap.
...He drew a deep breath. 'Well, I'm back,' he said."

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 6 2009, 9:05am

Post #9 of 18 (196 views)
Shortcut
I find it interesting how [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil's opinion of Dwarves carries over into the Council of Elrond ;)

I'm glad that those who are leaving travel through the Shire... that it's the last part of Middle-earth that they experience before stepping into Elven realms at the Havens and beyond.

O Sam...

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6 2009, 10:30am

Post #10 of 18 (218 views)
Shortcut
Be careful what you wish for [In reply to] Can't Post

- or sing about - because it might come true! What a mentality that Master has: I can just imagine how he smooth-talked his way through the last election! Laugh

I love that bit about the barrow-blade as seen from the "other side", as Frodo perceives its "flame"! Had the Witch-king turned in time to see Merry's blade before it pierced him, he too would have seen a flickering, vengeful flame...

Now how did Rosie know to get a hot meal ready for Sam's return? Maybe she had some younger Hobbits acting as "look-outs"! But then, Sam wouldn't be coming from the direction you'd expect, if he had accompanied Frodo partway to Rivendell...I wonder if Rosie knew...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 6 2009, 4:20pm

Post #11 of 18 (203 views)
Shortcut
*gasp* You're right about the blade!! [In reply to] Can't Post

*goosebumps* What an image!!

I've always thought that Rosie, figuring from what Frodo said, had always had food ready day and night just in case Sam came home. She knew he'd be mournful and probably wouldn't have taken very good care of himself.

'Well, Sam,' said Frodo, 'I want you to see Rose and find out if she can spare you, so that you and I can go off together. You can't go far or for a long time now, of course,' he said a little wistfully.
'Well, not very well, Mr. Frodo.'
'Of course not. But never mind. You can see me on my way. Tell Rose that you won't be away very long, not more than a fortnight; and you'll come back quite safe.'

sample

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2009, 6:31pm

Post #12 of 18 (215 views)
Shortcut
considering Rosie and Sam were living in Bag End [In reply to] Can't Post

she probably suspected Frodo's state of mind

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 7 2009, 9:52am

Post #13 of 18 (189 views)
Shortcut
She was good at [In reply to] Can't Post

knowing her menfolk. Probably comes from being raised with brothers ;)

She knew Sam needed to be with Frodo during the Scouring and such. Yeah... she probably noticed a lot, but knew not to meddle in the affairs of the Ring-bearers.... except to support and be available. That's a wonderful trait. Sam and she were a perfect fit.

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 7 2009, 9:53am

Post #14 of 18 (190 views)
Shortcut
TIME - October 7 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

October 7, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Company flees Amon Sûl.
..."As soon as the daylight was full, they had some hurried food and packed. It was impossible for Frodo to walk, so they divided the greater part of their baggage among the four of them, and put Frodo on the pony. In the last few days the poor beast had improved wonderfully; it already seemed fatter and stronger, and had begun to show an affection for its new masters, especially for Sam. Bill Ferny's treatment must have been very hard for the journey in the wild to seem so much better than its former life.
...They started off in a southerly direction. This would mean crossing the Road, but it was the quickest way to more wooded country. And they needed fuel; for Strider said that Frodo must be kept warm, especially at night, while fire would be some protection for them all. It was also his plan to shorten their journey by cutting across another great loop of the Road: east beyond Weathertop it changed its course and took a wide bend northwards.
...There was no sign of the Riders. But even as they were hurrying across they heard far away two cries: a cold voice calling and a cold voice answering. Trembling they sprang forward, and made for the thickets that lay ahead.
......It was a cheerless land, and their journey was slow and gloomy. They spoke little as they trudged along. Frodo's heart was grieved as he watched them walking beside him with their heads down, and their backs bowed under their burdens. Even Strider seemed tired and heavy-hearted.
...Before the first day's march was over Frodo's pain began to grow again, but he did not speak of it for a long time."

October 7, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The hobbits head for home, leaving Rivendell behind.
..."By the end of the next day the pain and unease had passed, and Frodo was merry again, as merry as if he did not remember the blackness of the day before."

October 7, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. The day after Sam found Frodo stricken by his old wounds.
...[Frodo]"got up, and the turn [pale and distant] seemed to pass, and he was quite himself the next day. It was not until afterwards that Sam recalled that the date was October the sixth. Two years before on that day it was dark in the dell under Weathertop."

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 7 2009, 10:43am

Post #15 of 18 (204 views)
Shortcut
That dear pony! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder where Bill was, during the Ringwraith attack?

What a trusting, sturdy soul he is! I bet that if he had been able to have the speed of one of the great Elven-horses, he would have gotten Frodo to the Ford, and faced his attackers! But I also think that he was far superior to any horse when it came to tracking through the woods; he was exactly what Frodo needed at this point.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 8 2009, 9:42am

Post #16 of 18 (175 views)
Shortcut
TIME - October 8 [In reply to] Can't Post

Well... I'm posting today and tomorrow's TIME, then I'm off until I get home late Sunday/early Mondy. DON'T FORGET TO PARTY on the 11th for the 10-year anniversary of the beginning of principle photography for LotR!! WOW! Cheers All :D

Today in Middle-earth.

October 8, 2006
WE GET WORD THAT MGM WANTS PETER FOR THE HOBBIT!!

October 8, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth-no text)
...Bilbo and the Dwarves prepare to leave Lake-town and lay plans for their trip to the mountain.

October 8, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Company continues south through the wild.
... Frodo's tolerance of the pain drew all his strength. As his friends continued to follow Strider through the wild, they struggled to keep up the pace he set. As the second day after leaving Amon Sûl dragged on, everyone struggled to distance themselves from the last known location of the Nazgûl and reach the safety of Rivendell.

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 8 2009, 9:44am

Post #17 of 18 (180 views)
Shortcut
TIME - October 9 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

October 9, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The company departs from Lake-town.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."So one day, although autumn was now getting far on, and winds were cold, and leaves were falling fast, three large boats left Lake-town, laden with rowers, dwarves, Mr. Baggins, and many provisions. Horses and ponies had been sent round by circuitous paths to meet them at their appointed landing-place. The Master and his councillors bade them farewell from the great steps of the town-hall that went down to the lake. People sang on the quays and out of windows. The white oars dipped and splashed, and off they went north up the lake on the last stage of their long journey. The only person thoroughly unhappy was Bilbo."

October 9, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Glorfindel leaves Rivendell.
(from the appendices)
..."'Elrond received news that troubled him. Some of my kindred, journeying in your land beyond the Baranduin, learned that things were amiss and sent messages as swiftly as they could. They said that the Nine were abroad, and that you were astray bearing a great burden without guidance, for Gandalf had not returned. There are few even in Rivendell that can ride openly against the nine; but such as there were, Elrond sent out north, west, and south. It was thought that you might turn far aside to avoid pursuit, and become lost in the Wilderness."
2. The Company makes its way through the Wild.
...The freezing pain in Frodo's shoulder slowly grew and felt as if it was spreading, like roots stretching through soil; but he did not speak of it and sat bowed on the pony's back as the blur of the long days passed.

October 9, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Gandalf and the hobbits make their way home from Rivendell.
..."...the days went quickly by; for they rode at leisure, and often they lingered in the fair woodlands where the leaves were red and yellow in the autumn sun..."

October 9, 2009
TORnsibbies and Friends Moot in NYC!

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 8 2009, 3:30pm

Post #18 of 18 (194 views)
Shortcut
The joyous send-off [In reply to] Can't Post

The townspeople and the Dwarves eagerly looking forward to the rivers (or their hands) flowing with gold again! It would seem that only our practical Hobbit is keeping in mind, that any good from this venture lies past an untame dragon...

What's this, a new entry? Excellent, gramma! Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.