weathertop
Rohan

Oct 1 2009, 4:30pm

Post #1 of 28 (525 views)
Shortcut
so what's really going on? Can't Post

so we have things anymore figured out for:

friday?
i know you all have the dinner thing during the show, but i haven't found any real plans other than the manuscript tours for friday.

saturday?
other than the show and beecake concert...

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2009, 5:06pm

Post #2 of 28 (402 views)
Shortcut
It seems most TORn related stuff are happening on Sunday [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is really a pity, since I'll be at the airport once it begins :P Oh well.

I know that, for myself, when I'm not doing LOTR-related things I'll be touring NYC (either by my lonesome or tagging behind like a spy behind an unsuspecting group... dum dum duh dum....).

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography ~ My LOTR fan fiction

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

one_more_reason

Oct 1 2009, 5:19pm

Post #3 of 28 (390 views)
Shortcut
saturday? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it would be fun to go out to dinner together before the saturday radio city show. I'm gonna be by myself so I'd love a chance to meet and hang out with other people from TORn. :)

weathertop
Rohan

Oct 1 2009, 5:56pm

Post #4 of 28 (380 views)
Shortcut
most of the saturday show folks [In reply to] Can't Post

are going out to eat on friday night. unfortunately for me i got tix for friday night.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 1 2009, 6:12pm

Post #5 of 28 (376 views)
Shortcut
The Friday night thing is happening during the concert [In reply to] Can't Post

and is not a preconcert dinner.

I would think most of us need to eat before the concert on Saturday so if people wanted to clump up in groups, that could happen.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Altaira
Superuser

Oct 1 2009, 6:40pm

Post #6 of 28 (403 views)
Shortcut
Did you check the official info thread? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's why it's there, after all. Wink It has all the info we know of of things going on.

Friday there *are* no official plans other than some folks getting in, some folks who are there going to the Tolkien exhibit, and maybe some informal get-togethers.

Saturday, October 10
(daytime) - Sightseeing together (so far Ground Zero, boar tour or Staten Island Ferry, Top of the Rock, Central Park and the Cloisters, in some combination, are being informally organized - more soon)
7:30 p.m. - FOTR Concert for Saturday concert-goers
(night) - After concert signing by Howard Shore & Doug Adams (not official yet). Partying
11:59 p.m. - Beecake concert, Joe's Pub, $25 (425 Lafayette St., NY, NY). Purchase online now, or call (212) 967-7555.

Sunday, October 11
10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Speakers & Presentations (David Salo, Colleen Doran, our own greendragon with Corey Olsen, the premier of Elizabeth Cotnoir's Journey's End and Doug Adams and Howard Shore discuss the upcoming book) - Angel Orensantz Foundation, 172 Norfolk St.
- Exibits (John Howe & Colleen Doran artwork & more - not official yet) - Angel Orensantz Foundation, 172 Norfolk St.
(evening) - Informal gathering of anyone staying over Sun night

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Altaira
Superuser

Oct 1 2009, 6:44pm

Post #7 of 28 (382 views)
Shortcut
When are you getting in? [In reply to] Can't Post

Many people are planning to go sightseeing together (see official info thread above). If you're going to be in town, you might want to consider coming along.

I hadn't given much thought to dinner before the concert. We'll all be getting back from sightseeing at different times and will then have to get ready. But, maybe a quick bite at the hotel, or someplace between the hotel and RCMH would be feasible. It would have to be early, as the concert starts at 7:30.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

weathertop
Rohan

Oct 1 2009, 8:11pm

Post #8 of 28 (374 views)
Shortcut
yeah i knew that [In reply to] Can't Post

thus the 'unfortunately i can't go as my concet tix are for friday'.

but i figured (and this touches on Altaira's comment below as well) that according to the 'official' thread - there wasn't anything all that organized going on. with unorganized sightseeing on saturday, and the need to be at the place early (i'm figuring at least by 630, especially if someone is going to talk before hand) there may not be a whole lot of time for a big group to grab food together.

weathertop
Rohan

Oct 1 2009, 8:16pm

Post #9 of 28 (386 views)
Shortcut
yeah i did. [In reply to] Can't Post

which was the reason for this thread. i was looking for things more specific. it says informallly and more info soon, so i thought with a week to go i'd see if they were less informal yet. i want to head out to the Statue and Staten Island, possibly ground zero (if not no big deal for me).

more specifically seeing as i'm not staying in the hotel with everyone else i was wondering if there was a common gathering area where we could mingle all day long so i'm not running up and down the halls yelling "Frodo Lives!" trying to get TORnsibs' attention! A place we could pop in and out.

Any further word on leaves or other such distinguishing badges for us to recognize one another?

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2009, 10:02pm

Post #10 of 28 (373 views)
Shortcut
Nothing planned for Friday yet? [In reply to] Can't Post

I do hope some TORnsibs plan on going siteseeing then as well; I'll be out with another on Saturday. If not, I'll likely hop on the subway on Friday and then watch what happens... Laugh

NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 1 2009, 11:09pm

Post #11 of 28 (385 views)
Shortcut
I just don't think that it all needs to be large group [In reply to] Can't Post

So... saying there's nothing... is perhaps discouraging for someone trying to get 'something' going.

Even if 3 people said, "Hey, I'd like to eat with someone on Saturday" that'd be better than eating alone. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2009, 2:04pm

Post #12 of 28 (360 views)
Shortcut
general info to all: weather forecast for NYC 9 - 11 Oct as of 2 Oct [In reply to] Can't Post

mixed sunshine and clouds

highs around 60 F (15 C)

lows in the high 40s (8 - 10 C)

possible showers Sunday evening

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 2 2009, 2:46pm

Post #13 of 28 (351 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic [In reply to] Can't Post

I try to not think negative thoughts but the possibility of cold windy weather and/or rain worried me. Mostly in terms of walking to the concert in nice clothes and impractical shoes.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Garfeimao
Rohan

Oct 2 2009, 10:28pm

Post #14 of 28 (381 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

Our flight on Sunday is at 5pm, so we don't have to leave for the airport until around 2:30pm-3pm, so we should be able to take our luggage with us to the panels and go see at least half of them, or so.

As for plans, I'm purposely not making too many plans because I'd rather be free to go do whatever my fancy takes me, or someone else's fancy takes them and me along with them. I've been to NYC often enough to have seen all the big things (Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Macy's, Ground Zero, Chinatown, etc) I've not been to Central Park before, so I'll probably end up wandering through the park most times when I'm free. My Friday morning will be taken up seeing hotels, then the manuscripts at 1pm, and then possibly more hotels, but all the while, I'll be walking around the mid-town region near Central park. Saturday, I got nothing, and I like it that way. I always sort of figured I'd just hook up with people on Thursday night and Friday morning and follow someone else's curiosity.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle earth

My page in the Traveling Journal

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2009, 12:06am

Post #15 of 28 (354 views)
Shortcut
traffic delays - a friend just returned from NYC told me that [In reply to] Can't Post

the level of security was higher in the airport and subway than usual. Guards were searching packs and suitcases, not only in the security screening but also by the boarding gates and waiting areas. She advised allowing extra time for going anywhere.

Can any locals add their 2 cents?

ElanorTX

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 4 2009, 3:33am

Post #16 of 28 (378 views)
Shortcut
It's due to [In reply to] Can't Post

reports that some terrorists had been planning to carry bombs in backpacks on board trains.

So they've gone into over-cautious mode, not wanting some repeat of the subway/bus bombings in London a few years back. (Which I remember well, having been there at the time. Too close. Unsure)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2009, 6:57am

Post #17 of 28 (343 views)
Shortcut
Not to mention this [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember listening to this on the news a couple of weeks ago. Pop-up link box isn't working... http://www.foxnews.com/...,2933,555340,00.html Just basically about the Zazi fellow planning something in NYC's buses and subways.

Thanks for the head's up, ElanorTX.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2009, 7:07am

Post #18 of 28 (339 views)
Shortcut
Ah, no kidding! [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reason I would have sworn that it was in the morning. Good to know that.

I've realized that most cheap things are within a mile of the hotel. TORn really chose the best hotel around for being right in the middle of everything. Rockefeller Center, many stores on 5th avenue, the southern end of Central Park, Grand Central- you can walk to all of them, which is what I'll likely end up doing.

As it is, you likely do *not* want to go to the Empire State Building at this time- I've been reading reviews about it and they are not positive. The cost is ridiculous, and apparently on the 86th floor there is another previously-unmentioned cost to go the rest of the way. It ends up being around 40 dollars. I'll just be going to the View on the Rock for some pretty pictures- it's 15 dollars, less lines, and less hustle and bustle than the Empire State Building.

Here's for hoping this cough is gone in a few days XD

Garfeimao
Rohan

Oct 4 2009, 3:23pm

Post #19 of 28 (349 views)
Shortcut
Do you have a cough too? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did I give you my cough? Or are you referring to my cough, which is still there, but much less prevalent.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle earth

My page in the Traveling Journal

batik
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2009, 7:43pm

Post #20 of 28 (353 views)
Shortcut
Glad I visited the ESB but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I visited on a Monday afternoon and the (lower) observation deck was *packed* (probably 6-8 deep) and the lines were long. I'm thinking we spent a good 1-1 1/2 in line before we set foot on the deck. The price was $16 (2006) to get to the 86th floor--can't remember how much extra to go higher. So a current total price of $40 doesn't really surprise me. The *glad* part is that I got some really great photos of the city by walking around the deck so that I could get a 360 degree look at it all. Worth the money/time spent--yes, once. But it probably will eat up time for anyone with a full schedule.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2009, 11:59pm

Post #21 of 28 (371 views)
Shortcut
I have a cough [In reply to] Can't Post

though I got it from my family rather from you. My whole household is sick.

I haven't had a fever for two days now, so hopefully it is permanently gone. I still have three days to recover and I plan on using those days well. Tongue

weathertop
Rohan

Oct 6 2009, 2:38pm

Post #22 of 28 (314 views)
Shortcut
weather update (from 10/6) [In reply to] Can't Post

went to look at the weather page.

looks like the temperature is up a bit: starting out around 70 F (20 C) and dropping down to 60 F (16 C) on Sat/Sun.

Fri & Sat have a 30-40% chance of showers....go figure.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 6 2009, 4:28pm

Post #23 of 28 (306 views)
Shortcut
Weather from weathertop! How cool is that! :D THANKS! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

weathertop
Rohan

Oct 6 2009, 4:47pm

Post #24 of 28 (311 views)
Shortcut
i'm right on top of it... [In reply to] Can't Post

*groan* ! hehe

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2009, 4:51pm

Post #25 of 28 (312 views)
Shortcut
inconsistent forecast - agree on temp, not on rain - as of noon 6 Oct [In reply to] Can't Post

from AccuWeather for zip code 10017 - place your bets with a neutral party Tongue

Friday daytime, October 9

High: 70 °F RealFeelŪ: 67 °F Times of clouds and sun with a shower possible; breezy
Friday Night, Oct 9 Low: 58 °F RealFeelŪ: 56 °F Mostly cloudy
Saturday, Oct 10 High: 72 °F RealFeelŪ: 68 °F Mostly cloudy and breezy
Saturday Night, Oct 10 Low: 50 °F RealFeelŪ: 48 °F Partly cloudy

Sunday, Oct 11 High: 64 °F RealFeelŪ: 63 °F Sunny to partly cloudy

Sunday Night, Oct 11 Low: 50 °F RealFeelŪ: 47 °F Partly cloudy

(This post was edited by ElanorTX on Oct 6 2009, 4:58pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.