The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
The Peril to the Shire.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 28 2009, 8:15pm

Post #1 of 2 (161 views)
Shortcut
The Peril to the Shire. Can't Post

I had the enormous pleasure of seeing The Peril to the Shire over the weekend. My thoughts:

I have to say I enjoyed it enormously!

I can't believe the passion and devotion to Tolkien that was behind such a great undertaking. I loved the professional way the DVDs were done. I haven't had a chance to watch the special features yet.

Strengths:

Plot, screenplay
This was a very well thought out plot, using ideas and some characters that linked it to the larger story, yet kept it on an intimate, personal level. The screenplay was very good (however, see my note below on sound quality) and was very like Tolkien's writing. The only exception I noted (and it did take me out of the story somewhat) was the Yoda-speak by one of the orcs, by turning the sentence around and putting the subject at the end. I suspect there are some Star Wars fans there! But the plot was perfectly plausible to have been one of Tolkien's many unfinished storylines found in the attic of his house.Sly

Locations
Another great strength, particularly the woods and rivers through which the hobbits et al traveled, the interiors of the house at Crickhollow and the ranger stronghold, and my particular favorite-Lindin, the elven realm. I love, love, love elves, and I was so glad this was included in your story. I've often felt that the films just didn't let us look around enough at the elven homes of Rivendell and Lothlorien. I felt your elven location looked very similar to how I would have thought the elves lived outside. Beautiful and ethereal.

Costumes and make-up
Now, of course I didn't expect to see Nglia Dickson's highly detailed fabrics. But for the level of this production I was very pleased with the realism. The outer cloak worn by the lead elf maiden was, in particular, very lovely. Also, Rosie was perfectly dressed as the working class little hobbit lass. I think my only flaw here was the shields that the elven troop carried looked heart-shaped (making that part a little "fey"), and it would have been better to see their shields shaped differently. But that's just a little quibble--all in all the costumes were a great strength.
As for make-up, it was good that the most of the actors looked as if they didn't wear any--which I felt appropriate. It was distracting to see the one elf maid with the necklace--too much lipstick, I'm afraid. And Hawkeye's beard did leave something to be desiredLaugh.

Acting
Considering the ages of these kids (and even not considering it) they did very well indeed. You could tell how well they had memorized their lines--for the most part they were pretty flawless. Rarely did you notice the eyes stray to the camera. They used the right tones of voice for what they were about to say, and gestures were good. I think they did a really great job. Rosie and the lead elven maid stuck out particularly. The little elven maid I think, could have an acting future! I think the only weak link may have been the elven king. He came across to me as a little bit of a "valley boy". Still, they were all believable and well coached. They all did a job they can be proud of.

Music
The only music I recognized were the Howard Shore themes, but it was all very appropriately inserted to fit the on-screen action and plot. There was even elven-song! I'm sure I should recognize the other music, but I'm really only well versed in the PJ's film themes.

Weaknesses

There was only one weakness, but I'm afraid it was a serious one. The sound quality was bad, particularly on disc one. Often, I couldn't understand what was said. The actor was sometimes looking down or speaking rapidly, but that would be normal in the scene--it just didn't make for clear hearing of what was said. This was something that could be gotten by with from fans (like myself) because I know the basic storyline well enough to follow what was probably happening here, but even though I rewound several times there were places I just couldn't understand the dialog. I could tell that some of it was exposition--a bad thing not to be able to hear.

Summary

This was such an enjoyable movie. I hope the passion for Tolkien leads them to do another one.

Permanent address: Into the West

ltcdunk
Bree

Sep 29 2009, 12:38am

Post #2 of 2 (143 views)
Shortcut
Thank you... [In reply to] Can't Post

for the generous and honest review. Getting the "two thumbs up!" from the kids' parents and families is one thing. Having "outsiders" give a critical look at our work is another.

We had so much fun making the movie. I'm just glad others are getting the chance to enjoy it!

www.pointystickproductions.com

"Not all who wander are lost..."
http://www.pointystickproductions.com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.