The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
A reminder about error messages.

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 28 2009, 6:02pm

Post #1 of 4 (36844 views)
Shortcut
A reminder about error messages. Can't Post

Seems noteworthy enough to make a new post about it, given as I've mentioned it before, and there's not a lot of follow-through. =)

When you get some kind of an error, it helps *immensely* if you can do two things.

1) Copy the error message down and repost it here.

2) Note the time that it happened.

When Corvar (or whoever else) goes to troubleshoot, he has to sift through log files, which can have days of data in them. It makes the job a lot easier if he knows where to look.

Here's an example (since I had a little trouble getting on today myself)

=====

I got this error message at 11:04 AM Mountain Time Sep 28th.

A fatal error has occurred:

GT::Session::SQL (9338): Could not connect to database: at /www01/newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/admin/GForum/Authenticate.pm line 440.

Please enable debugging in setup for more details.

=====

This provides a lot of information. First, there's the time that it happened. Second, that 9338 there is my session number for this attempt to hit the site, and that is logged, so it's something Corvar can find. And lastly, that Authenticate.pm is a file and the line 440 is the line of code in that file that is where the problem happened. It speeds up dealing with the problem a lot if that sort of information is available.

Just a note for future reference. =)

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================
Elcenia

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 29 2009, 9:59am

Post #2 of 4 (28546 views)
Shortcut
And a tip on the easiest way to copy for 'net newbies :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

For those who haven't figured this out yet, you don't have to write down and retype all the data you see on the screen. Just choose "Edit" from the drop-down menu options at the top of your browser window and choose "Select All," then copy and paste what you've selected by using those options - also found under the "Edit" menu.

Most of you can also get these options by right-clicking anywhere on the page and selecting from the menu items that appear there.

One caution: Scan quickly over the message before you post it, just to be sure the data you copied doesn't include any information about your personal TORN account. No, I know you won't understand most of the data; but you'd certainly be able to spot, say, your password. Wink

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

(This post was edited by Kyriel on Sep 29 2009, 10:10am)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 20 2010, 11:22pm

Post #3 of 4 (27649 views)
Shortcut
A fatal error has occurred: At aprx 6:18 CDT USA [In reply to] Can't Post

GT::Session::SQL (26670): Could not connect to database: at /www01/newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/admin/GForum/Authenticate.pm line 418.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster

The Hobbit is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 28 2010, 11:52am

Post #4 of 4 (34392 views)
Shortcut
ERRoRS [In reply to] Can't Post

GT::Session::SQL (9207): Could not connect to database: Too many connections
at /www01/newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/admin/GForum/Authenticate.pm line 418.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster
New Zealand is Middle-earth & today life is good.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.