Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Sean Astin's "There and Back Again"

Arwen_Undomiel
Lorien

Sep 26 2009, 1:11am

Post #1 of 12 (369 views)
Shortcut
Sean Astin's "There and Back Again" Can't Post

For one- someone please tell me if this is the wrong place to post this. Kinda foggy on if this section is only for books by Tolkien, or Tolkien-related books- anyways- to the post!

Just finished reading Sean Astin's "There and Back Again: An Actor's Tale"
which was, to say the least interesting. This is a very personal account of not only what was going on during the production of the Lord of the Rings, but a small portion of what was going on before that. One thing is that the poor guy is very insecure and is envious of most people- I say this with the most respect possible; I respect him very much as an actor- the thing is, I think his fans respect him more than he does himself. Anyways, this book is worth reading, though I'll say it plain, and simple: Astin spends about 15% of the time wallowing in self-pity. Again, this is written with respect- I love the acting he does.

So, has anyone else read the book? What'd you think?

HeartHeart

Arwen

The world is quiet here.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Sep 26 2009, 7:46pm

Post #2 of 12 (252 views)
Shortcut
The LOTR Movie board [In reply to] Can't Post

might be the best place for this. The Reading Room is mostly for Tolkien's own work, and any other books that come up would normally be about Tolkien's work, not the movies. Maybe you could ask the Admins to move it over? I think you would find other people who have read the book over on that board.

I read Sean Astin's book a few years ago, and I agree with you that it gave some interesting perspectives on filming LotR - and about the whole movie business, as well, from an actor's point of view. I certainly got an impression of the differences between the business-oriented style of Hollywood and the looser style of Wellywood, which Sean obviously found it hard to adapt to.

I also agree with you that he comes over as insecure and self-pitying at times. I get the impression that he was just trying to get across what it was really like, instead of glossing over the difficulties as is so often done in books of this kind. He chose to show the downside of celebrity, and reveal his own weaknesses, which very few celebs are willing to do. Maybe the guy was a bit too honest for his own good!

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled, the sigh and murmur of the Sea
upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 26 2009, 7:58pm

Post #3 of 12 (223 views)
Shortcut
The Main board is good for this. [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't read the book but Astin comes across to me as somewhat fragile and debilitatingly earnest, but a good guy with it. I wonder if he has ever regretted being so open in his book?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Arwen_Undomiel
Lorien

Sep 27 2009, 3:40am

Post #4 of 12 (235 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Far... [In reply to] Can't Post

he is too honest for his own good! I respect him for doing that anyway, though. Also, Ataahua- you're basically right about him, I think.

Hmm.... anyways, I have to go. Movie night!

Love,
Arwen

The world is quiet here.

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Sep 27 2009, 8:03am

Post #5 of 12 (214 views)
Shortcut
Sean certainly had a rough start [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't read his book, but I've read some of his mother's writing (Anna Astin aka Patty Duke). Her condition during her pregnancy with him and during his young years, before she was properly diagnosed and treated, surely affected his perception of himself.

standard disclaimer: Though I'm a psychologist, I can't speak professionally about someone I've never met. So my thoughts are worth 2 cents or less.

ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Arwen_Undomiel
Lorien

Sep 27 2009, 5:00pm

Post #6 of 12 (193 views)
Shortcut
Very true [In reply to] Can't Post

[about him having a rough start]

The world is quiet here.

Glaurung63
Lorien

Sep 28 2009, 11:49pm

Post #7 of 12 (155 views)
Shortcut
read it, liked it [In reply to] Can't Post

I read it some years ago and liked it, he's led an interesting life and had his own insights into the film industry...

Arwen_Undomiel
Lorien

Sep 29 2009, 12:34am

Post #8 of 12 (146 views)
Shortcut
That's true too [In reply to] Can't Post

The world is quiet here.

eldarion telcontar

Sep 29 2009, 1:09am

Post #9 of 12 (149 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I read it about a year ago. He's a great actor, though I agree, he spent a lot of the time talking about how things were unfair, though I think it was cruel he got tricked into showing the Elvish tattoo on live TV. I did like the pictures.Smile

Arwen_Undomiel
Lorien

Sep 29 2009, 2:30am

Post #10 of 12 (170 views)
Shortcut
I know... [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to kill that guy!

The world is quiet here.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 29 2009, 10:28am

Post #11 of 12 (151 views)
Shortcut
I agree his intention [In reply to] Can't Post

of being honest showed more of the frustration and challenges of the job... but he's a passionate person who believes in being honest. Most people would put a positive spin on nearly everything.

He said in the presentation he gave a few weeks ago that he had a writer who put this together for him that was essentially from several hours of taped conversations. That may also have an impact on the flow and concentration of the text. But I found it enlightening, comical, and at times intense. I really like his candor. Once you hear him speak in person, you can see he's spontaneous, passionate, intelligent, and understands the reality of situations.

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

FarFromHome
Valinor

Oct 1 2009, 9:18pm

Post #12 of 12 (135 views)
Shortcut
It's great to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

what he's like in person. If I could choose to meet just one LotR actor, he's the one I'd pick!

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled, the sigh and murmur of the Sea
upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.