Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TORn History Scavenger Hunt : Main News Archives

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 20 2009, 4:30pm

Views: 514
Shortcut
TORn History Scavenger Hunt : Main News Archives Can't Post

And yet there lie in Denethor's hoards many records that few now can read, even of the lore-masters,
for their scripts and tongues have become dark to later men.

After this hunt, I'm going to take a break. With NYC coming up, I'm getting more and more busy and I think many of you are, too. Look for the return of the TORn History Scavenger Hunt (or the debut of the TORn History Project) in the last half of October.

Today's Scavenger Hunt takes place in the Main News Archives. you can find these archives by following the 'Old TORn Site' link (left navigation bar) and then clicking the 'Archives' link.

Now, when TORn switched servers, some of the links in this section went wonky. Trying to follow one of these wonky link will sometimes take you to a "we can't find what you're looking for" page and sometimes take you to the most current Home page (with today's news ... not that 2001 news you were looking for). I don't think this should hinder you much in this hunt but if you do encounter one of these wonky links, look to the bottom of this post to find out how to work around them.

I think I'm giving you enough information to answer these questions rather quickly so if you find yourself spending more than a few minutes trying to find something, ask for more hints/information.

1. The very first News Article on TORn was about Hobbit being built. In that article
  • What did Sian Clement, a spokeswoman for the film firm Three Foot Six, say she was worried about?
  • Who is Ian Alexander and how did he colorfully describe himself?
  • What did a staff member at the Okoroire Hot Springs Hotel have to say about affairs in the area?

2. The first week of July, 1999, Tehanu picked up an official press that quoted Peter Jackson as saying:
"In casting this critical role, we knew we had to find an actor of great depth of range to take an audience on a journey through three movies," Jackson said.
Fill in the blanks for the rest of this quote:
"While we looked at many good actors, it was clear from the moment that we met ___________ that we had found __________. He has an enormous natural ability to draw an audience into a story and the dramatic depth to hold them there."

3. At the end of May, 2000, what did Xoanan do that made "the PTB's down in NZ and LA ... miffed"? How did he handle the "angry emails and letters from within the production"?

4. What event got announced on March 8, 2002?

5. In mid August, 2003, how did Ringer Spy NZBoy contribute to the LOTR movie production?

6. What was TORn's 2004 April Fool's Joke? What did they have to say about it the next day?

Let the Hunt Begin!

WONKY LINKS:

Essentially, the old links are coded to take you to a url that the old server had, for example : http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/969633698
But when the new server came in, this older material got moved into 'archives' so that page is now at the url : http://archives.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/969633698

All you have to do is replace the 'www' with 'archives' and you can find your page. There are lots of ways to do that. I tend to right click the original link that I'm trying to follow and chose from the context menu that pops up 'Copy Link Location'. Then I paste that copied link into the field at the top of the page where you see url address.
That would paste the old link in there: http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/969633698
Then I manually change the 'www' to 'archives' and hit enter. Voila.

I had to do this a lot about 8 months ago when I was doing a lot of research in the Main News Archives but recently, while preparing this hunt, I only had to do it once. I wonder if some repairing has been done.

You mumble: that sounds like too much work. Well, it isn't once you get the hang of it and, I can tell you, there's some fascinating and useful stuff in those archives and I'm grateful they exists. And as I said, I didn't run into many broken links this weekend.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Subject User Time
TORn History Scavenger Hunt : Main News Archives Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Sep 20 2009, 4:30pm
    I don't have time to play, but thank you so much for those instructions! Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Sep 21 2009, 8:58pm
        Yes, I ran across that news article... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Sep 21 2009, 11:12pm
        An attempt to fix that first link. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Sep 22 2009, 3:42am
    oops, left a word out of question #2. Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Sep 21 2009, 11:14pm
    just stopping by to say... batik Send a private message to batik Sep 22 2009, 4:59am
        good! Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Sep 22 2009, 1:33pm
    I love these! fairelvenlady Send a private message to fairelvenlady Sep 23 2009, 3:15am
        Hint for question #5 Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Sep 23 2009, 3:35am
            Oh! fairelvenlady Send a private message to fairelvenlady Sep 23 2009, 3:47am
                It was too good a story to let you miss. // Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Sep 23 2009, 4:17am
    Answers : open when finished Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Sep 24 2009, 11:09am
        Medallions Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Sep 26 2009, 7:52pm
    Finally! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Oct 18 2009, 2:57am
        hey... good thing I have this thread watched Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Oct 18 2009, 3:01am
            Thanks! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Oct 18 2009, 10:59pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.