Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TORn History Scavenger Hunt : Main News Archives

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 20 2009, 4:30pm

Post #1 of 16 (683 views)
Shortcut
TORn History Scavenger Hunt : Main News Archives Can't Post

And yet there lie in Denethor's hoards many records that few now can read, even of the lore-masters,
for their scripts and tongues have become dark to later men.

After this hunt, I'm going to take a break. With NYC coming up, I'm getting more and more busy and I think many of you are, too. Look for the return of the TORn History Scavenger Hunt (or the debut of the TORn History Project) in the last half of October.

Today's Scavenger Hunt takes place in the Main News Archives. you can find these archives by following the 'Old TORn Site' link (left navigation bar) and then clicking the 'Archives' link.

Now, when TORn switched servers, some of the links in this section went wonky. Trying to follow one of these wonky link will sometimes take you to a "we can't find what you're looking for" page and sometimes take you to the most current Home page (with today's news ... not that 2001 news you were looking for). I don't think this should hinder you much in this hunt but if you do encounter one of these wonky links, look to the bottom of this post to find out how to work around them.

I think I'm giving you enough information to answer these questions rather quickly so if you find yourself spending more than a few minutes trying to find something, ask for more hints/information.

1. The very first News Article on TORn was about Hobbit being built. In that article
  • What did Sian Clement, a spokeswoman for the film firm Three Foot Six, say she was worried about?
  • Who is Ian Alexander and how did he colorfully describe himself?
  • What did a staff member at the Okoroire Hot Springs Hotel have to say about affairs in the area?

2. The first week of July, 1999, Tehanu picked up an official press that quoted Peter Jackson as saying:
"In casting this critical role, we knew we had to find an actor of great depth of range to take an audience on a journey through three movies," Jackson said.
Fill in the blanks for the rest of this quote:
"While we looked at many good actors, it was clear from the moment that we met ___________ that we had found __________. He has an enormous natural ability to draw an audience into a story and the dramatic depth to hold them there."

3. At the end of May, 2000, what did Xoanan do that made "the PTB's down in NZ and LA ... miffed"? How did he handle the "angry emails and letters from within the production"?

4. What event got announced on March 8, 2002?

5. In mid August, 2003, how did Ringer Spy NZBoy contribute to the LOTR movie production?

6. What was TORn's 2004 April Fool's Joke? What did they have to say about it the next day?

Let the Hunt Begin!

WONKY LINKS:

Essentially, the old links are coded to take you to a url that the old server had, for example : http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/969633698
But when the new server came in, this older material got moved into 'archives' so that page is now at the url : http://archives.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/969633698

All you have to do is replace the 'www' with 'archives' and you can find your page. There are lots of ways to do that. I tend to right click the original link that I'm trying to follow and chose from the context menu that pops up 'Copy Link Location'. Then I paste that copied link into the field at the top of the page where you see url address.
That would paste the old link in there: http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/969633698
Then I manually change the 'www' to 'archives' and hit enter. Voila.

I had to do this a lot about 8 months ago when I was doing a lot of research in the Main News Archives but recently, while preparing this hunt, I only had to do it once. I wonder if some repairing has been done.

You mumble: that sounds like too much work. Well, it isn't once you get the hang of it and, I can tell you, there's some fascinating and useful stuff in those archives and I'm grateful they exists. And as I said, I didn't run into many broken links this weekend.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 21 2009, 8:58pm

Post #2 of 16 (386 views)
Shortcut
I don't have time to play, but thank you so much for those instructions! [In reply to] Can't Post

They allowed me to find a couple of things I sent in to the main page, one of which, the Burger King Ringspell crown I thought was lost (I still have the crown itself in my dresser drawer, but couldn't find the article.)

The other is the first contribution I ever made to TORn, before I even knew there were messageboards.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Sep 21 2009, 9:00pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 21 2009, 11:12pm

Post #3 of 16 (380 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I ran across that news article... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and almost made it a question.

I was really pushing for time for this one but I thought it would be cool to have 'categories of questions' and one could be how RingerSpy's contributed to the body of knowledge on the movie (and other things). There was your post and one where someone noted that they had reduced the hand grip of Anduril for the ROTK poster. In the end, I just used the one from NZBoy.

It is kind of fun to browse the news archives.

And see, your actions met my primary goal to get people in there (or at least teach them how). :-)

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 21 2009, 11:14pm

Post #4 of 16 (367 views)
Shortcut
oops, left a word out of question #2. [In reply to] Can't Post

It should be:
2. The first week of July, 1999, Tehanu picked up an official press release that quoted Peter Jackson as saying:

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 22 2009, 3:42am

Post #5 of 16 (345 views)
Shortcut
An attempt to fix that first link. [In reply to] Can't Post

Burger King Crown

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

batik
Tol Eressea

Sep 22 2009, 4:59am

Post #6 of 16 (384 views)
Shortcut
just stopping by to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for posting these scavenger hunt threads! It's been fun and interesting to look through the *old stuff*. Lots of gems (or jools!) to be discovered.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 22 2009, 1:33pm

Post #7 of 16 (351 views)
Shortcut
good! [In reply to] Can't Post

The game is just a ruse... It's getting people poking around that is the real goal. And you're right. There are lots of gems and jools. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

fairelvenlady
Rivendell

Sep 23 2009, 3:15am

Post #8 of 16 (361 views)
Shortcut
I love these! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. The very first News Article on TORn was about Hobbit being built. In that article
  • What did Sian Clement, a spokeswoman for the film firm Three Foot Six, say she was worried about?
She was worried that "movie zealots would flock to the farm if they found out about the work."
  • Who is Ian Alexander and how did he colorfully describe himself?
He owns the farm Hobbiton was/is being built on. He described himself as "common old cocky with a few bloody sheep running around."
  • What did a staff member at the Okoroire Hot Springs Hotel have to say about affairs in the area?
She said, "It's very hush-hush. I don't know what the hell they're doing, and as long as they pay their bills I don't care."

2. The first week of July, 1999, Tehanu picked up an official press that quoted Peter Jackson as saying:
"In casting this critical role, we knew we had to find an actor of great depth of range to take an audience on a journey through three movies," Jackson said.
Fill in the blanks for the rest of this quote:
"While we looked at many good actors, it was clear from the moment that we met ___________ that we had found __________. He has an enormous natural ability to draw an audience into a story and the dramatic depth to hold them there."
Elijah, Frodo Baggins

3. At the end of May, 2000, what did Xoanan do that made "the PTB's down in NZ and LA ... miffed"? How did he handle the "angry emails and letters from within the production"?
posted pictures of gollum

"One Party to Rule them All!"
5. In mid August, 2003, how did Ringer Spy NZBoy contribute to the LOTR movie production?
Uhmm..... I can't finds it.

6. What was TORn's 2004 April Fool's Joke? What did they have to say about it the next day?
Pulled a clam of the Hobbit movie being made. Next day said that they wanted to push for a Hobbit movie.

What happened when Legolas and Aragorn road with Eomer in the van.
Aragorn: Eomer, Legolas has his bow on my side of the seat!
Legolas: Well Aragorn keeps slapping me while practicing his "heroic" poses.
Eomer: Don't make me turn this van around.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 23 2009, 3:35am

Post #9 of 16 (370 views)
Shortcut
Hint for question #5 [In reply to] Can't Post

8/16/03
(August 16, 2003)

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

fairelvenlady
Rivendell

Sep 23 2009, 3:47am

Post #10 of 16 (343 views)
Shortcut
Oh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yay! Now I know the answer!

5. He was at the rugby game where they recorded the chanting.

What happened when Legolas and Aragorn road with Eomer in the van.
Aragorn: Eomer, Legolas has his bow on my side of the seat!
Legolas: Well Aragorn keeps slapping me while practicing his "heroic" poses.
Eomer: Don't make me turn this van around.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 23 2009, 4:17am

Post #11 of 16 (352 views)
Shortcut
It was too good a story to let you miss. // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 24 2009, 11:09am

Post #12 of 16 (371 views)
Shortcut
Answers : open when finished [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been a busy week and this thread is going to fall off the front page soon. So I'll get the answers in here for those of you who lurk and read. I'll get the medallions made tomorrow and post them separately. I'll also watch the thread in case someone comes by to play and has a question or needs a hint.

• A spokeswoman for the film firm Three Foot Six, Sian Clement, said she was worried that movie zealots would flock to the farm if they found out about the work. "You just have to look on the Internet to see the fanatic interest."
  • The farm's owner (where Hobbiton was being built), Ian Alexander, said he had been involved since October. "They just arrived out of the blue," he said. "There's been a bit of activity, a bit of action, but they've only just started doing things for real." Mr Alexander said the set was being built on a few hectares in the corner of one of his three blocks, but he refused to give more detail. "It's all being kept very quiet," he said. "I'm just a common old cocky with a few bloody sheep running around."
  • Fourteen soldiers (working on the Hobbiton construction) staying at the Okoroire Hot Springs Hotel have been visiting the movie set for more than a week, and are expected to stay up to three weeks longer. A staff member at the hotel said: "It's very hush-hush. I don't know what the hell they're doing, and as long as they pay their bills I don't care."

2. The first week of July, 1999, Tehanu picked up an official press release that quoted Peter Jackson as saying:

Xoanon here with a TheOneRing.net EXCLUSIVE,
Tehanu picked this up from Sian Clement, Peter Jacksons' publicist! It's the official press release announcing Elijah Wood as Frodo! Read on!
(excerpt:) "In casting this critical role, we knew we had to find an actor of great depth of range to take an audience on a journey through three movies," Jackson said. "While we looked at many good actors, it was clear from the moment that we met Elijah that we had found Frodo Baggins. He has an enormous natural ability to draw an audience into a story and the dramatic depth to hold them there."

Why I took down the images of Gollum
5/29/00, 22:28 EST - Xoanon
Sigh, and in the end this is what it comes to for me as well, love for the film making process, love for what PJ et all down in NZ are doing down there, and love for this whole production that has given me so much, though we here at TORN probably do not deserve it.

As you may have guessed the Gollum pics were highly secretive, and when I recieved them yesterday it did send pangs through my body. Having been burnt many many times before, by holding a story back only to see another website post it up, I didn't want to pass this opportunity up.

Needless to say the PTB's down in NZ and LA are miffed, and when it gets down to it I do not want to do that. Upsetting people is not the reason I got into this, and getting angry emails and letters from within the production is not something I wanted, I don't expect them to love me, but my excuse was always 'hey, I'm promoting the movie!', well this time I may have let to much go.

Although I know the fans, the ones not involved with the production at all, did love those pics, and the only thing I can say to PJ or the people who read this site for him is this, the fans really loved it, and they love the entire thing you're doing down there. So if anything, I've whet thier appetite even more for your work.

I hope the TORNadoes can understand this editorial descision on my part.

- Xoanon

3/08/02, 3:12 pm EST - Calisuri
TheOneRing.net with Sideshow/Weta Collectibles are proud to announce "One Party to Rule them All!"

Making A Noise For LoTR
8/16/03, 4:35 am EST - Demosthenes

Ringer Spy NZBoy reports:
Today at Westpac Trust Stadium in Wellington, Wellington was playing
Southland in a normal NPC rugby game, which Wellington won. After the game, the LOTR sound crew came out, and one the big screen there they got the crowd to chant out the sayings on there while the sound crew were around the outsides of the stadium.
The first chant was 'DEATH' a human chart. [What's the odds that this will be something screamed by the Rohirrim at the Pelennor Fields? - Dem.]
The following chants are Orc ones - GROND, KATMUDA, GURUT. When the crowd got going, it sounds really cool!! Even though in the pics it doesn't look like a lot of people where there, there were a lot on the side I was taking the pics, that side is the cheap seats.

(audio and images included in this report)

Hobbit Press Release Announced!
4/01/04, 1:56 pm EST - Xoanon

A press release has been announced indicating that The Hobbit will begin production with director Paul Anderson, who is (and I quote) 'the young director whose portfolio includes smash successes such as Resident Evil, Event Horizon and Mortal Kombat'. This comes directly from a new teaser site www.thehobbitfilm.com. My question is where is PJ??? Why hasn't he picked this up after King Kong?!

"THE HOBBIT" TO BEGIN PRINCIPAL PHOTOGRAPHY IN NEW ZEALAND in 2005
New Line Acquires Distribution Rights; Paul Anderson to Direct; McKellen, Serkis to Return
- The Hobbit will begin principal photography in Wellington, New Zealand, in 2005, under the direction sci-fi/fantasy director Paul Anderson, it was jointly announced today by Robert Shaye, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of New Line Cinema; Michael Lynne, President and Chief Operating Officer of New Line Cinema; Mark Ordesky, President of Fine Line Features; and Anderson, who is also a writer and producer of the production.

The Ruse is up! LET THE HOBBIT HAPPEN!
4/02/04, 3:05 pm EST - Calisuri

Okay, okay. So we played an April Fools on you twice* yesterday...but it was fun! And it was for a good cause. You see, while the 'fake' press release yesterday was a surprise to many, we all deep down want The Hobbit to Happen! (No offense Paul Anderson, we really want Peter Jackson to do it though!) Thus, we are starting the 'LET THE HOBBIT HAPPEN' letter-writing campaign. In the coming weeks and months we are going to make sure that New Line Cinema and MGM/UA hear the roar of Tolkien fandom! Follow the link for details. (And for all you Tolkien site webmasters, please join us in this effort! Details on the page.)

*They printed the press release then they came back later saying they had been snookered by an April Fool's Joke... as if they were unwitting dupes rather than the instigators themselves.

See you next month. NYC or Bust!

Medallions to come.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 26 2009, 7:52pm

Post #13 of 16 (358 views)
Shortcut
Medallions [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 18 2009, 2:57am

Post #14 of 16 (354 views)
Shortcut
Finally! [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally have some time to browse these Archives - again (I used to do this a lot when I first found TORn, just after FotR came out)!

1. What did Sian Clement, a spokeswoman for the film firm Three Foot Six, say she was worried about? Something about a flock of sheep...no...flocks of "zealots"! They needed to keep these sites top-secret from the uber-fans!

Who is Ian Alexander and how did he colorfully describe himself? He's the owner of the farm where Hobbiton is located, "...a common old cocky with a few bloody sheep running around."

What did a staff member at the Okoroire Hot Springs Hotel have to say about affairs in the area? "I don't know what the hell they're doing, and as long as they pay their bills I don't care."

Ah, such exciting times! Smile

2. "While we looked at many good actors, it was clear from the moment that we met Elijah that we had found Frodo Baggins. He has an enormous natural ability to draw an audience into a story and the dramatic depth to hold them there."

He received some "highly secretive" Gollum pics, which he at first posted, then later had removed.

4. What event got announced on March 8, 2002? That Enya would make her Oscar debut at the forthcoming 74th Oscar Awards, singing "May It Be".

5. In mid August, 2003, how did Ringer Spy NZBoy contribute to the LOTR movie production? He was among the crowd being recorded chanting in Orc-language at a rugby match!

6. What was TORn's 2004 April Fool's Joke? What did they have to say about it the next day? There was a "press release" about The Hobbit going into production in 2005 with Paul Andersson as director. And the next day they announced the start of the "Let the Hobbit Happen" letter-writing campaign.

*checks answers* Hmm...is it okay if I got a bit more excited about Enya performing, than about the "One Party"? Angelic

Whee - now to collect another seal! Thank you, Magpie! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 18 2009, 3:01am

Post #15 of 16 (343 views)
Shortcut
hey... good thing I have this thread watched [In reply to] Can't Post

... those four medallions look good there dernwyn!

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 18 2009, 10:59pm

Post #16 of 16 (342 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do think they're rather spiffy! Smile Lovely design work, Magpie!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.