The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
used book store find

a.s.
Valinor

Sep 12 2009, 8:07pm

Post #1 of 5 (754 views)
Shortcut
used book store find Can't Post

I just love finding Tolkien books in good condition in the used book stores I frequent. I always look for them, even if I rarely find them. That's how I found my cute little illegally printed Taiwanese editions, complete with book jackets! And my first edition Smith (poor condition, though).

Today in the library's used book sale room I found a complete paperback edition of LOTR: Ballentine paperbacks, 8th-6th-6th printings respectively, all Sept 66. The box is intact and they look like this:

This is the case, with black and white Remington drawings on all three sides.

These are the covers.

There is a little torn off piece of a receipt (not possible to tell what the receipt is for, I'd like to think for the books themselves) dates 2-25-67, stuck between pages 342-343 of FOTR.

The exciting thing about this set (which I just bought for $4) is that I don't believe TT or ROTK has ever been read. In fact, I don't think they have been opened more than once or twice. The spines are barely creased on any of the three, although it looks like FOTR has been handled enough that it looks read at least. TT and ROTK are pristine, almost. The box itself is completely intact with only a bit of wear on the corners and small tear on top and bottom paper cover.

Probably not worth any money, but that's not the point!! Just so cool to see this old set so intact (although it's sad to think of it sitting on someone's shelf for so many years unread).

Cool

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 13 2009, 3:48am

Post #2 of 5 (420 views)
Shortcut
Nice find! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially that neat case! Were these originally from the same set -- were there more printings of FOTR than TT and ROTK?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Silmarillion in the Reading Room, Aug. 9 - Mar 7. Please join the conversation!

This week: "Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalië" and "Of Fëanor and the Unchaining of Melkor".
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

a.s.
Valinor

Sep 14 2009, 11:08am

Post #3 of 5 (442 views)
Shortcut
I don't know....where's Drogo? :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's another example of the same boxed set, advising that the set contains "ninth, seventh, sixth printings respectively" all published in Oct 66. So I would assume there were more printings of FOTR than of the other two, at least to that point in the printings.

Hmmm. It's selling for $40.

Cool

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Sep 14 2009, 5:18pm

Post #4 of 5 (418 views)
Shortcut
Score! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a lucky find! I have a soft spot for this edition -- despite or perhaps because of the cover art. It's the first one I read.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

pyle313
The Shire

Sep 21 2009, 11:55am

Post #5 of 5 (386 views)
Shortcut
Used Book Store Finds [In reply to] Can't Post

I am also a regular at used book stores. My best find would have to be the first edition hard cover of The Silmarilion for $7 and in perfect condition it was however the book club version but still. You never know what awesome stuff you will find.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.