Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Theodred's Armor?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 12 2009, 4:25am

Post #1 of 11 (10674 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Theodred's Armor? Can't Post

I'm afriad this is another costume that I don't have a lot of images for. It only appeared in a couple of scenes and the images of it in the EE galleries are very low resolution. I can, however, make some wild speculations based on the images we do have and other costumes like it. I'm getting really good at that. Cool

Theoden's armor was a plate of brass that was acid etched and then covered in leather. This seems to be made similarly, though I don't know how authentic the innards are. Theodred's armor is green instead of the brown of Theoden's (or the red of Eomer's). The pauldrons look very similar and the gauntlets bear the same standard as Theoden's, though they're green and gold instead of brown and gold. You can see the sun symbol medalion at the base of Theodred's cuirass (his helmet bears the same symbol). His greaves and hip armor pieces also bear the horsehead theme.

Under the leather armor he has a chain maille shirt, a scale maille skirt, and a green tunic with gold embroidered horse motifs at the collar.

I suspect that they had to make two of the cuirasses: one with battle damage and one without.

So, any thoughts?

Did You Ever Notice? is a running series taking a look at some of the details in the armor and costumes of LOTR. It follows no particular order and appears on no particular day. You can always find previous discussions over at my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2009, 10:25am

Post #2 of 11 (5212 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had never gotten a good look at Theodred's armor before. It's a shame we didn't get a better look at it in the movie.

It's quite impressive. Weta does nice work. All three of the Rohan royalty has nice armor that looks like it's from the same source, but very individual.

OhioHobbit says: wouldn't a family portrait have been cool?

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

Elven
Valinor

Sep 12 2009, 1:00pm

Post #3 of 11 (5212 views)
Shortcut
Green?! ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well you got me there!
I didn't realize it was green - its very effective, and I love the idea that there were different colours in the leather - maybe that showed ranking?
I think his uniform is more practical and less elegant, but I love the intricate engravings - its a pity we mostly see his costume (and him) blood spattered and torn though Tongue

Great choice AD.
Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

frederica bolger
Lorien

Sep 12 2009, 7:56pm

Post #4 of 11 (5433 views)
Shortcut
all four members of the royal family, surely... [In reply to] Can't Post

... you missed a certain Ms Dernhelm there!

Poor Theodred. A beautiful man and his beautiful outfit torn by a terrible stomach wound. Isn't there an old French song that goes: "quand roi Renaud de guerre revient... portant ses tripes dans se mains" (when King Renaud came back from the war, he was holding up his guts with his hands). The long hair and shaved face is good as well... gives him a regal appearance while making him look quite young. One of the young warriors who think they are immortal?

Rain may fall and wind may blow
And many miles be still to go
But under a tall tree I will lie
And watch the clouds go sailing by.

(This post was edited by frederica bolger on Sep 12 2009, 7:56pm)

batik
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2009, 3:27am

Post #5 of 11 (5163 views)
Shortcut
nice one... [In reply to] Can't Post

though it took me multiple looks to catch the green--funny how adjusting the angle of the screen (or myself for that matter) changes how different colors/shapes are seen. Be that as it may...I'm impressed--again. Theodred was on screen for a handful of minutes--his armor less, I believe. And we get all this--helmet to boots.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 13 2009, 4:32pm

Post #6 of 11 (5175 views)
Shortcut
As I recall [In reply to] Can't Post

Eomer's armor was supposed to be green as well. But the filmmakers thought that it looked too garish on Karl Urban.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Theodred87

Sep 13 2009, 8:11pm

Post #7 of 11 (5178 views)
Shortcut
The armor is cool [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps the only reason i named my user Theodred is because of the armor (and I like horses)

(This post was edited by Theodred87 on Sep 13 2009, 8:14pm)

Elven
Valinor

Sep 14 2009, 1:48pm

Post #8 of 11 (5160 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Green must have been one of those tricky colours!
Gollum was originally green as well - until they decided 'dead old flesh colour' suited him better Wink
and I think they made a great colour choice change for Karl - I like his colours!

Thanks AD Heart
Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 16 2009, 11:13am

Post #9 of 11 (5093 views)
Shortcut
This is great!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

You found some GREAT PICS!!! I love being able to see the similiarity between Theoden, Eomer and Theodred's costumes. There's a blending there, and it's beautiful in the details!

You really REALLY are so good at this *high five* Glorious!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Milady
Rivendell

Sep 16 2009, 2:03pm

Post #10 of 11 (5112 views)
Shortcut
Somehow I always forget about that [In reply to] Can't Post

I know they make multiple copies for scale and to show the wear-and-tear over the journey, but somehow it always slips my mind that this applies to battle damage for armor as well.

Great post, because I never did actually look at Theodred's armor.

THE ANGELS HAVE THE PHONE BOX

(don't blink)

_V_
Lorien

Sep 18 2009, 5:55pm

Post #11 of 11 (5132 views)
Shortcut
I have the action figure, and [In reply to] Can't Post

it's a really detailed action figure for a non-speaking role, but I always notice how unlike most Rohan characters, he has green armor instead of red. I wonder why.

Btw, for some months after TTT came out, some of my friends were confused and thought Theodred was Eowyn's fiance (they're first cousins) thought the Extended Edition made that more clear later.

ReVolution of Evangelion

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.