Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Rado City NYC Moot 2009 - Ringers Take Manhattan! --> Official Hotel Link inside the thread!
First page Previous page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 10 2009, 5:17pm

Post #401 of 565 (3870 views)
Shortcut
I agree it would be nice [In reply to] Can't Post

to see it with TORnsibes, but it seems a little unfair to me for TORn to try to circumvent the established signup process and snag all the slots when there are undoubtedly other people who would like to see it just as much as we would. I could see trying to get a few on each day, but not all of them. Maybe it's just me.

FYI, the planning group *did* discuss trying to organize groups for this, but with TORn people getting in at all different times, and having other things on their schedules, plus not knowing which slots, or spaces in slots, would be taken by non-TORn people, we decided it would be better to let people schedule themselves, or schedule small groups themselves.

Not saying you have to do that, I just wanted to answer Garf's question that is has already been discussed. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 10 2009, 5:23pm

Post #402 of 565 (3860 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great that you'll be joining us, Mary! I'll have payment info. soon. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 10 2009, 7:02pm

Post #403 of 565 (3817 views)
Shortcut
not just you [In reply to] Can't Post

I could see trying to get a few on each day, but not all of them. Maybe it's just me.

It was actually make me pretty uncomfortable that we would try to do this. I think if people who tried to get in and were turned away caught on that TORn had snagged all the tickets, it could cause a lot of ill will toward the group and the site. And even though I'm one who will worry about what perfect strangers might think, I know quite a few people who will be at this weekend that are not connected to TORn so I might know close up and personal what they would think if they were shut out by our uber organized group. :-)

I think if clumps of people on their own want to try to score tickets, that's fine. But I don't try to score any on my account because I'm not going. I've seen enough of these manuscripts that I'm giving others who haven't seen it a chance.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Sep 10 2009, 8:16pm

Post #404 of 565 (3893 views)
Shortcut
Actually I saw it the opposite way. [In reply to] Can't Post

By contacting them in advance, we'd be giving them the opportunity to say, "Oh, maybe there are more people who want to see this than we originally thought! And since they're already in a somewhat organized group, maybe we can schedule something just for them, specifically so that group doesn't interfere with or take spots away from people who aren't in that group." I was hoping that by giving them advance notice of potential hordes of TORnsibs, they could do something logistically to minimize our interference with everyone else who shows up on their own.

And Altaira -- this is the first I'm hearing that "we decided it would be better to let people schedule themselves, or schedule small groups themselves." If the "we" is our Yahoo group, did I miss some emails? I thought we were still intending to contact the exhibit people, or that someone had already contacted them and we were waiting to hear back.

Did anyone ever find out how many tours there are per day? I recall that the original announcement had an ambiguity about this.

In any case, I'd like to go, preferably with other TORnsibs. Gramma, thanks for volunteering to help organize this, and please include me on your list! My schedule is pretty flexible.

"I deemed it the worst part of all my journey, the road back, watching him day and night, making him walk before me with a halter on his neck, gagged, until he was tamed by lack of drink and food, driving him ever towards Mirkwood."

Tamara
Rivendell

Sep 10 2009, 8:16pm

Post #405 of 565 (3865 views)
Shortcut
Good to think ahead [In reply to] Can't Post

While I agree that it wouldn't be cool to take all the spots for our group, by contacting them now, gramma might be able to find out if they would be able to provide more coverage for us. If the space allows for an extra group/guide, then we wouldn't prevent anyone from the general public seeing the papers and would still be able to visit with our TORnsibs. If they can't, then breaking up into smaller groups will be better...but at least the organizers THERE will know that a large number of us will be arriving over that weekend and can plan accordingly over the next month.
---Tamara

Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'm headed for Minas Tirith (New Zealand) in 2011!

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 10 2009, 10:10pm

Post #406 of 565 (3853 views)
Shortcut
You missed some emails // [In reply to] Can't Post

TORn Calendar

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 10 2009, 10:30pm

Post #407 of 565 (3854 views)
Shortcut
well, [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't have a problem with approaching them that way. "We have enough to fill all slots. Can we add some. But I'm not sure that's what was being discussed. It was simply, can we get them all because we have enough people who want to see them we can fill them all."

Matt Blessing is doing the tour guiding. He's one man. I'm not sure if he can do more. Perhaps someone can be added as a second tour guide. But I think Matt is someone we could be talking to. He's going to be more approachable and understandable about avid Tolkien fans than some random guy or gal at a college library. There may be reasons they can't add more slots and then we know. Or maybe our being so organized will convince he can fill more tours if they can be arranged.

I still think it's a mistake in multiple ways for all the slots to be filled - for whatever reason and in whatever manner - by TORn folk. But then, here I am where I usually am. On the side of caution and (over?) considering how it affects other people. I can tell you, if I were Random Q Jane going to the weekend thinking I might be able to get into this only to find that all slots were filled immediately by just a few people scheduling over a hundred slots.. I'd be pissed. It's like going to the community theater and walking into an almost empty room only to find every seat saved - 10 for every person present. I was there early. 80 people who weren't there before me have better seats than me. I actually had to stand in one performance where I was the 4th person in the room. Every seat was saved by just a few people. One or two people should not be able to fill 80-100 slots, IMO. And we would only do that if we KNEW 80-100 people from TORn wanted to see the exhibit. We don't know that. I don't. My husband doesn't. We're using some vague numbers accumulated for purposes other than the Marquette exhibit.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2009, 12:09am

Post #408 of 565 (3839 views)
Shortcut
Do we have to reserve tickets early? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or is it a first-come, first serve thing?

Magpie is right though- a lot of people I know from LJ who are *not* part of TORn want to see these manuscripts, and they would be pretty angry if each slot was taken up by one website.

But surely the library understands that, with the RCMH concert that weekend, that the demand to see these manuscripts might be greater than usual?

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography ~ My LOTR fan fiction

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 11 2009, 3:07am

Post #409 of 565 (3829 views)
Shortcut
I also don't think [In reply to] Can't Post

anyone should be calling on behalf of TORN except senior staff or TPTB, or with their permission. I'm sure no one wants TORN to have a reputation that they used their name to go to the front of the line for tickets.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

`Are these magic cloaks? ' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.

`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

WhiteLadyEowyn
Rivendell

Sep 11 2009, 4:20am

Post #410 of 565 (3864 views)
Shortcut
Hi guys :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Frodo and I are going to come to this if we can find a place to stay.

The decision was just made that we can go after checking finances, but they are still minimal at best.

We would like to stay with someone if we can, but - as I say, the money is an issue.

I feel like pulling my hair out.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2009, 12:00pm

Post #411 of 565 (3837 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to see it [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm fairly flexible over that weekend too!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 11 2009, 4:54pm

Post #412 of 565 (3822 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't meaning to TAKE all of the groups, I meant that with as many people as we may have wanting to go there and if we coordinated tours, it would take that many! Mercy no... I don't think it's good form to block out all of the slots. That's not our style :) I just meant that notifying them about how many may come just from our lot would/could fill their dance cards every hour. It could be if they knew that, there could be more tours made available. That's all I meant.

Personally... I'd rather take my chances of getting in there as an individual than to chance any ill will.

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 11 2009, 5:03pm

Post #413 of 565 (3836 views)
Shortcut
Ah now... that makes a difference [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know that Matt Blessing was going to be the only guide for the exhibit. That's amazing! His whole weekend spent sharing this unique collection.

That really explains the limited group numbers (for best viewing, I'm sure) and 1 group per hour (for a quality tour/visit).

I'm definitely just going to stick my hands in my pocketsssesssss and wait until we're sure how to approach this. I'll stand at the ready if I'm needed... but promise not to cry alligator tears if I'm not ;)

CHEERS ALL!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 11 2009, 6:32pm

Post #414 of 565 (3826 views)
Shortcut
Why not ask Matt? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tell him the situation (60+ people from TORn coming to town for this) and ask if he has any preference about how to handle it (ranging from "first come, first served" to limited reservations, say, a few slots each day).

If there is a reasonable way to plan ahead without blocking access unfairly, why not do so? After all, we have reserved seats in the theatre. I don't know that booking some of the tour slots is conceptually different from that.

The Rohirrim, by Peter Xavier Price

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Sep 11 2009, 6:32pm)

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 11 2009, 7:03pm

Post #415 of 565 (3827 views)
Shortcut
People can ask Matt questions right here on TORn [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been pointing people to this thread on Main where Matt has been kind enough to visit frequently to answer questions. I recommend asking whatever questions one may have in that thread. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer.Smile

TORn Calendar

Garfeimao
Rohan

Sep 11 2009, 7:03pm

Post #416 of 565 (3941 views)
Shortcut
I believe it's like most museum exhibits [In reply to] Can't Post

You either pay for or order free tickets, in advance, for a specific entry time. So yes, I'm going to try and plan for this, timewise, so I can make my schedule for the rest of the weekend. I guess it will be Sept. 15 before we can actually contact them regarding the tour times and the process for ordering a ticket, etc.

For everyone else, here is an open invitation for a few people to join me on a Travel Professionals tour of NYC. What's that, say you? Well, as a travel agent, I'm going to try to make the best of at least Friday morning by seeing some local hotels and restaurants. I've already made a 10:30am appointment to see the Ritz Carlton Central Park, which happens to be just a few blocks from our event hotel. I then hope to go next door to The Plaza hotel, then to walk up towards Columbus Circle and see the Trump Towers and Hotel. From there, I would like to have either lunch or afternoon tea at the Tavern on the Green. You need reservations for the Tavern on the Green, so I'll be making those shortly if anyone else wants to join me. You can google them and see there menus and get an idea of the costs.

Now, the Fordham Library at Lincoln Center is near all this, so it's quite conceivable to go there afterwards, and that is sort of my intention. See some hotels near Central Park, eat at the Tavern on the Green, then see the Tolkien Manuscripts that afternoon, then back to the hotel for a nap before our big shindig that night.

Is anyone game to act like a professional, or at least, be a tourist curious to see some of snazziest places in the Big Apple?

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle earth

My page in the Traveling Journal

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Sep 11 2009, 8:53pm

Post #417 of 565 (3828 views)
Shortcut
Tavern on the Green declared bankruptcy yesterday [In reply to] Can't Post

NY Times article

Apparently they're planning to keep going until the end of the year, but you might want to make contingency plans.

Have fun with your "Travel Professionals" tour in any case. Smile

"I deemed it the worst part of all my journey, the road back, watching him day and night, making him walk before me with a halter on his neck, gagged, until he was tamed by lack of drink and food, driving him ever towards Mirkwood."

Garfeimao
Rohan

Sep 11 2009, 9:38pm

Post #418 of 565 (3998 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds more political than economic to me. Either way, I've wanted to go there ever since it was featured in the original Ghostbusters movie.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle earth

My page in the Traveling Journal

Tamara
Rivendell

Sep 11 2009, 10:37pm

Post #419 of 565 (3799 views)
Shortcut
My schedule is shaping up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thursday
(evening) - Possible 'officially sponsored' reception or casual meeting of those who arrive on Thursday (bought 2 tickets for myself and Overlithe64)
11:30 p.m. - Beecake concert, Joe's Pub, $25 (425 Lafayette St., NY, NY). Purchase online when available, or call (212) 967-7555.

Friday
(daytime) - Doug Adams book signing of his new book: "The Music of the Lord of the Rings Movies."
(evening) - TORn & friends gathering

Saturday
(daytime) - Sightseeing together
7:30 p.m. - FOTR Concert for Saturday concert-goers
(night) - After concert signing by Howard Shore & Doug Adams. Partying

Sunday
10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Speakers & Presentations (David Salo, Colleen Doran and more) - location to be announced
- Exibits (John Howe & Colleen Doran artwork & more) - locations to be announced
(evening) - Informal gathering of anyone staying over Sun night

Now I just need to figure out this manuscripts thing...
---Tamara

Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'm headed for Minas Tirith (New Zealand) in 2011!

Frodo
The Shire

Sep 12 2009, 7:14pm

Post #420 of 565 (3787 views)
Shortcut
Mr. Frodo is definitly coming to this. [In reply to] Can't Post

I do certainly hope WhiteLadyEowyn can make it as well. This is going to be a concert to remember.Smile

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Gandalf - Shadow of the Past - Fellowship of the Ring

weathertop
Rohan

Sep 13 2009, 5:04pm

Post #421 of 565 (3817 views)
Shortcut
yeah who knows, maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

he'll do a special 'after hours' tour for TORn folks...Angelic

Altaira
Superuser

Sep 14 2009, 4:03am

Post #422 of 565 (5497 views)
Shortcut
----> Reservations to the Tolkien Exhibit are now open! [In reply to] Can't Post

Reservations can now be made at the marquette.edu site.

As I mentioned in the 'Official Info' post, so far it seems like TORnsibs are gravitating to the mid-day exhibits on Friday and Sat (11 a.m., Noon). Since we haven't heard from Matt Blessing on the Main Board yet on more spaces, it would probably be prudent to try to reserve a space now. No need to reserve it at the times mentioned. Do it when you, and anyone you my want to attend with, can go.

TORn Calendar

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 14 2009, 4:04pm

Post #423 of 565 (3732 views)
Shortcut
Ok, I'm in -- [In reply to] Can't Post

My schedule finally settled in. I'm not going to either of the concerts, because I have family care obligations and I'm unable to get away for an evening/overnight trip. But I'm planning on taking the train into NYC on Friday for the book signing and to meet up with the TORnsibs during the day! Looking forward to meeting everyone Laugh!

Heart Loresilme

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 15 2009, 2:54pm

Post #424 of 565 (3780 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Altaira! No organized groups are being scheduled by me [In reply to] Can't Post

I was waiting to hear from Matt Blessing and some definitive information about doing groups, but it looks like it's not a good idea. TORn would most like overwhelm every time slot, and that wouldn't be right for non-TORn individuals trying to get to the exhibit as well. Also, given that Mr. Blessing is the only person giving the tours, the hopes of having more tours available are understandably slim. Mr. Blessing's tours will be, I'm very sure, informative, intimate and very inspirational.

I'm sorry if this is a disappointment for some who were waiting for their timeslots to be done by me or any other organized approach, but it doesn't seem feasible at this point. If things change, I'll let you know.

sample

WhiteLadyEowyn
Rivendell

Sep 15 2009, 4:32pm

Post #425 of 565 (3716 views)
Shortcut
OKay, Definitelly In [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Frodo and I have secured a spot on the floor in the apartment of a friend who is moving to New York this week.

It was our only holdup to going, since neither of us could afford the hotel rooms.

But we'll be buying our tickets hopefully today. We know we'll have to sit in the very back somewhere, but at least we will be there!

Oh, and I will be coming to the Friday night TORn thingy. And we will be attending the BeeCake concert on Thursday. :)

First page Previous page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.