The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell....and beyond!

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2009, 2:59pm

Post #1 of 9 (92 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell....and beyond! Can't Post

Good morning, fellow travelers! I hope your walks are going well. Only 80 miles or so for me to return from Mt. Doom to the Field of Cormallen on the wings of eagles! Thank goodness Sam got us out of there. From RotK "The Field of Cormallen":

'Well, Master, we could at least go further from this dangerous place here, from this Crack of Doom, if that's its name. Now couldn't we? Come, Mr. Frodo, let's go down the path at any rate!'

I've been sporadic with my walking lately -- gung ho for a day or two and then laying around for several days. The morning workout is on hiatus and I miss having someone make me get moving even when I don't feel like it. Thank goodness for all of you! I'm going out right now. Have a good week, everyone!

Don’t forget to update your mileage on the Shields page. Be sure to keep a paper record of your miles, as there is always the potential for the
Shields page to crash (again). And see you in Rivendell!!!!

Explanatory note: The Eowyn Challenge/ Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a LOTR-related fitness walk thingy that began in March 2003, and that has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. The idea is to keep track of your mileage as you walk, and soon you will find yourself traversing the 458 miles to Rivendell. The walk is open to all. Keeping a goal date in mind can be useful for some, others are happy taking the scenic route and getting to Rivendell eventually. The website for the Walk explains things far more coherently than I can; please check out the link below, especially the main page and the Walk page. Lots of useful links, including wonderful mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, can be found on the Tools page.

The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread can usually be found right here on Main, on Thursdays or Fridays.

Walk to Rivendell: http://www.eowynchallenge.net

Where's Frodo?

ElanorFb

Sep 10 2009, 7:36pm

Post #2 of 9 (64 views)
Shortcut
Starting out [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be starting on the 22nd from Bag End. First day of fall also. Looking forward to it!

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2009, 2:20am

Post #3 of 9 (58 views)
Shortcut
Well, you remind me of someone... [In reply to] Can't Post

who ended up with Black Riders on his tail after delaying the start of his trip until September 22.Laugh
I hope you're getting warmed up, ElanorFb! We look forward to having you along on the trail.

Where's Frodo?

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2009, 2:00pm

Post #4 of 9 (176 views)
Shortcut
At the rapids of Sarn Gebir! [In reply to] Can't Post

Travelled all the way down the Anduin this summer and have just reached the rapids of Sarn Gebir. Legolas shot a flying Nazgul earlier (hooray!) and we are huddling in the boats until dawn.

My 5K swim in Chicago is this Saturday (tomorrow); we're flying there later today. I'm psyched!

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 11 2009, 4:41pm

Post #5 of 9 (55 views)
Shortcut
I have no idea where I am! [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably still on the way to the Morannon with Aragorn. I need to study my spreadsheet and see if I can figure it out. (Then write myself some notes so that it's not such a mystery every time. Ha!)

I've been slacking a little lately. There have been several days where I didn't make my 10,000 steps goal, out of no better reason than I was lazy. But I've tried to keep those to once a week.

"Rabbit's clever," said Pooh thoughtfully.
"Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit's clever."
"And he has Brains."
"Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit has Brains."
There was a long silence.
"I suppose," said Pooh, "that that's why he never understands anything."

- A. A. Milne

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2009, 11:00pm

Post #6 of 9 (48 views)
Shortcut
How exciting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good luck in your swim, Idril!

Where's Frodo?

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2009, 11:06pm

Post #7 of 9 (95 views)
Shortcut
Have you checked your GPS? [In reply to] Can't Post

Guesstimating worksCool. And even only 2000 steps gets you a mile down the road, right? (Right? I'm really not sureBlush)

Where's Frodo?

RosieLass
Valinor

Sep 12 2009, 8:35am

Post #8 of 9 (49 views)
Shortcut
More or less. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ten thousand steps is just under five miles for me.

It's not how far I've gone that confuses me, though. It's figuring out where that is on the map. CrazySly

"Rabbit's clever," said Pooh thoughtfully.
"Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit's clever."
"And he has Brains."
"Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit has Brains."
There was a long silence.
"I suppose," said Pooh, "that that's why he never understands anything."

- A. A. Milne

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 13 2009, 12:23pm

Post #9 of 9 (48 views)
Shortcut
Hi-dee-ho all!! [In reply to] Can't Post

You hang in there FF. Every step counts, and pausing is not a bad thing. :D I don't blame you for taking your time getting to your next destination *shudder*

I'm moving a bit slowly myself... and will be for a while now, I guess. I've apparently got kidney stones. An interesting turn of events and fascinating new journey with pain. You never realize how clumsy you are until you can't bend, stoop, twist or walk. Or sit. Or stand. Or... nah... the breathing is fine ;) Getting in and out of the car is a riot!! I'm just hoping this all "passes" before it's time to go the NYC!!! *gulp*

So I am walking... more or less... cuz it's just to bloomin' beautiful outside to miss out! Baby steps, gramma... baby steps ;)

HUGGLES TO ONE AND ALL! And keep on truckin' :D

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.