Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TORn Traveling Journal Update.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Sep 10 2009, 2:25pm

Post #26 of 39 (174 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really glad when I can help, and it would be sad if this project would have to stop because Laerasea doesn't have the time to organise it. Have already e-mailed her and offered help, and talked it over with Kel a bit. We should be able to manage that, and as I have most of the links transfered and hope to get to the rest this week, now I should have the time for it, too. If necessary, my housework can wait a bit longer Wink

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection

Zmulady
Rohan

Sep 10 2009, 2:56pm

Post #27 of 39 (107 views)
Shortcut
thanks Laerasea [In reply to] Can't Post

I like colorful things and so when Magpie brought out some paper to use for the journal, I picked the blue. As for the kitties, Charlie is 1 and Jasper is 6 months. As for onions.....they are in everything it seems, and they just smell so bad to me. Sorry, I never cook with them. I do like garlic though. Thanks for your comments Laerasea, and all your work for this journal to happen. It was really fun getting a look at it.

Zmulady
Rohan

Sep 10 2009, 3:00pm

Post #28 of 39 (131 views)
Shortcut
I used clear tape [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried using glue, but that didn't work well for me, so I ended up taping everything on. It doesn't look the greatest, but works.

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Sep 10 2009, 9:12pm

Post #29 of 39 (85 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never heard of "Tombow mono adhesive," but I'll look for it. Or maybe I'll look again at the brads and things, and see if any look totally safe for neighboring pages.

At my job I sometimes look at documents that are>100 years old, so I always think about whether things will last that long. I've seen a lot of papers that someone tried to conserve with tape or glue, but the tape/glue wound up yellowing and sort of eating into the paper. Maybe they're making tape and glue differently now though.

>Most of us will only see this as a digital journal so how it sits 5 years down the road is not so material.<
But then no one will be able to see it when electricity is scarce, or the digital files get lost somehow, or .jpg is no longer a standard file format. But maybe by then, few people will want to read this archaic writing style anyway. Tongue (Yeah, I tend to think really long term. Unsure)

"I deemed it the worst part of all my journey, the road back, watching him day and night, making him walk before me with a halter on his neck, gagged, until he was tamed by lack of drink and food, driving him ever towards Mirkwood."

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Sep 10 2009, 9:13pm

Post #30 of 39 (84 views)
Shortcut
Please see my reply to Magpie re yellowing tape. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm guessing modern tape might be different, but I don't know for sure, so I'm wary of using it (and haven't time to research).

"I deemed it the worst part of all my journey, the road back, watching him day and night, making him walk before me with a halter on his neck, gagged, until he was tamed by lack of drink and food, driving him ever towards Mirkwood."

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 10 2009, 10:15pm

Post #31 of 39 (86 views)
Shortcut
I agree about the archival aspect [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had things look bad after just a year or two so I try to be aware of it as much as possible. I know an artist who does a lot of constructing with glues and things that I'm positive aren't archival and frankly, I wouldn't purchase any of her art even if I liked it. I've had marker inks run, glue discolor or dry out, etc. I'm always thinking years ahead, too.

You can find other similar adhesives. I think Tombow was around when I first decided to go this route (after trying wet glue in a felt tip applicator.. which is also good, btw, for some applications. it just wrinkles paper) And I can get refills for the applicator so I stick with Tombow. I just checked and it is acid free and archival. I knew it probably was.

I actually don't think the journal pages themselves are acid free so I doubt they'll last forever.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2009, 12:23am

Post #32 of 39 (83 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for scanning the pages in, Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

My scanner had not been working around the time I sent it to you. Goodness knows why.

Wonderful pages, all of them.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography ~ My LOTR fan fiction

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 11 2009, 4:38am

Post #33 of 39 (80 views)
Shortcut
Check the scrapbooking aisle [In reply to] Can't Post

for tapes, glues, inks, and "fancies" that will stand the test of time. (Easier and cheaper than trying to get something suitable in the framing area of an art shop, probably.) Lots of acid-free and archival stuff there! :)

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Sep 11 2009, 4:41am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 11 2009, 9:13am

Post #34 of 39 (122 views)
Shortcut
What Laerasea and Kelvarhin have done with this Journal [In reply to] Can't Post

is such a beautiful representation of the unity and beauty of TORn, I passionately do NOT want it to become a victim of that dreaded RL intruder... . I swore I wouldn't take on any more projects until I get a few here at home and others under control... but I'd be upset if Laerasea's Journal suffered after all of her hard work. Her life is quite different from when she created this, and school is definitely something that is a big demand on her day!

I'll share it with her and "watch" over it until, and if, she would like to. We can do a tag-team thing :D if that would help... or I can take it altogether if she wishes it.

What Laerasea's done here is fabulous! And Kelvarhin giving it this shiny new home was in the nick-o-time! Yeah... let's share Laerasea's load :) She's a joy and an inspiration, and she's GOT to know that we all have times when we just can't do all that we want to do... so DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF, LAERASEA!!! :D YOU ROCK!

Thanks to you, too, Magpie :) You are always the voice of honesty, appreciation, inspiration, music, and friendship. YOU ROCK, TOO :D

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 11 2009, 5:35pm

Post #35 of 39 (76 views)
Shortcut
And if you need any help [In reply to] Can't Post

you know by now how I love to plan and organize things Wink. So I would be glad to help you and Kel with anything concerning the planning or what ever.

It would be a shame if some people woulnd't be able to have their page in this wonderful project. I know what a great pleasure it is to receive the journal, flip through all the pages of the previous writers and enjoy putting in your own page. So if I can help realizing this wonderful project and bringing it full circle (back to Laerassea with all the pages in it), just let me know.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Sep 11 2009, 6:01pm

Post #36 of 39 (80 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

We will remember your offer if we need any help!

You're right, it would be a shame if this project had to stop because Laerasëa doesn't have the time. That is why we volunteeed - we have had the journal before and know how special it is!

TORn Link Collection

FantasyFan
Rohan

Sep 11 2009, 10:24pm

Post #37 of 39 (119 views)
Shortcut
I am still up with hosting [In reply to] Can't Post

whenver it gets to me! A project like this is lots of work, and I applaud all those who've put in in all that creative work and all the detail work of getting the journal where it needs to go and keeping track of the pages. Perhaps we need to remake the schedule at this point, or at least contact all those who are currently scheduled to see if they are still interested, if they can be flexible about the dates, or if they have some time sensitive plans for the journal.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

WhiteLadyEowyn
Rivendell

Sep 12 2009, 5:09am

Post #38 of 39 (58 views)
Shortcut
:: raises hand :: [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though I have been quiet as of late here on the boards, I still visit and still want to be a part of the journal.

My schedule can be altered however many times it needs to be in order to help others.

In other words, I will see it when it gets to me :)

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Sep 12 2009, 5:20am

Post #39 of 39 (73 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, good to know! [In reply to] Can't Post

We will probably have to rework the whole schedule, as we are months behind it and due to Cons and the NYC Moot, people had to be left out etc. But I'll make a post later on about that.

TORn Link Collection

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.