Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TORn History Scavenger Hunt : Tehanu's Notes

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 8 2009, 1:42am

Post #1 of 10 (856 views)
Shortcut
TORn History Scavenger Hunt : Tehanu's Notes Can't Post

And yet there lie in Denethor's hoards many records that few now can read, even of the lore-masters,
for their scripts and tongues have become dark to later men.

The answers to the TORn History Scavenger Hunt all lie within the domain of TheOneRing.net. My goal is that all who seek to be one of the 'few that now can read" find the answers. Using any method at your disposal is good (remember: Google is your friend). I will give you some resources to get you started and a few hints along the way.

Every hunt will focus on one area of TORn and if you find the answers you seek, you will be awarded a special, collectible (digital) medallion - one for each area.

So, get out your torches. Bring along those goblets of drink. And dig through the scrolls of TORn. .

This week, we're leaving GreenBooks and wandering into Features to visit Tehanu's Notes. Interestingly, none of these 'notes' are dated. I suppose each was announced on the Home Page so a search of the archives for news articles might reveal the dates. That can come later. For now, let's just see what she has to say.

1. In her Introductory Note, Tehanu says that one reason to start her page is "sometimes there there just isnít a lot of news about the LOTR film project and weíve got to find something else to occupy our minds besides __________ and __________."
bonus: Can you illuminate us a little on each of items?

2. While discussing the Silmarillion, how does Tehanu address this big question: "How does The Lord of the Rings lend reality to the real world?

Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English:
rarefied: a rarefied place, organization, or type of activity is only available to or understood by a small group of people - used to show disapproval:
the rarefied atmosphere of academia

rarefied air: is the air in high places, which has less oxygen than usual

3a. What high place does Tehanu describe as having Rarefied Air?

3b. What two things did she realize after visiting alt.fan.tolkien?

4a. After the release of ROTK, Tehanu asked, Where to From Here? and observed that "TORN was about more than just spy reports on the movies". What did she say it was?

4b. Tehanu wrapped up this note by asking again, "What to look forward to now that the movies are as good as done?" What answer does she give?

5a. Name one of the Tehanu's Notes no longer available online because it was published in TheOneRing.net's book, "The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien."

5b. Who is the editor of
"The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien."?

Happy Hunting!

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Elven
Valinor

Sep 9 2009, 1:40pm

Post #2 of 10 (334 views)
Shortcut
Aiye, my eyes! LOL! ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice quiz Magpie!
I was a bit stumped about the rarified air question ... but i hope I sorted it out ...
Here are my answers ... sorry about the formatting Blush

1. In her Introductory Note, Tehanu says that one reason to start her page is "sometimes there there just isnít a lot of news about the LOTR film project and weíve got to find something else to occupy our minds besides Connery/Keanu thing and the Great Soundtrack Debate.

2. ... how does Tehanu address this big question: "How does The Lord of the Rings lend reality to the real world?
Iíll leave the last word to the Jesuit Priest Father James V. Schall, quoted from his essay ĎOn the Reality of Fantasyí:
ĎThe unsuspecting reader who thinks he is only reading "fantasy" in reading Tolkien will suddenly find himself pondering the state of his own soul because he recognises his own soul in each fairy-tale."

Is scholarship boring? The more you know, the wider the view, but after spending a while climbing up steadily to achieve some higher knowledge, you lose the ability to wander at will around a landscape of ideas. Looking down from up here, there are less surprises, and looking up, the possibilities for ascent are narrowing to a few clearly-marked and well-beaten tracks. I am stuck on some kind of South Col of knowledge, and I want to phone the rescue helicopter to get me off right now before I get bored.

I went and had a look at alt.fan.tolkien today for the first time, and realised that Iím not a real Tolkien fan. And no, mostly they donít like the movie.

4a. After the release of ROTK, Tehanu asked, Where to From Here? and observed that "TORN was about more than just spy reports on the movies". What did she say it was?
As nice as it was to receive those spymails, I enjoyed just as much the constant stream of mail from people who wanted to discuss Tolkien. People who offered points of view, who debated and explained, who brought their life experience to bear on their understanding of the books. Best of all was the diversity -- there were Tolkien fans of all ages and backgrounds from so many parts of the world. As time went on I began to sense a community that was growing across the distances. I could read between the lines and trace how for some people the act of entering this community enlarged their lives and in some cases freed them from a burden of dullness, isolation and entrapment. There can be nothing that has given me more satisfaction.

4b. Tehanu wrapped up this note by asking again, "What to look forward to now that the movies are as good as done?" What answer does she give?
Well, what have you learned from them? Not the story of the Ring; you knew that already. What is the lesson in the story of the making of the movies? That's the story of you getting involved in the excitement, the guesswork, the speculation, the ideas, the process of seeing them come into the light. The story of you spending time thinking about Middle-earth, and your delight in discovering that other people cared about it as much as you do. This story is the point, and it is what the great mythographer Joseph Campbell called 'following your bliss.'

5a. Name one of the Tehanu's Notes no longer available online because it was published in TheOneRing.net's book, "The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien."
Scary Stuff.

5b. Who is the editor of "The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien."?
Erica Challis Smile

Cheers
Elven

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I wonít write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Sep 9 2009, 2:56pm

Post #3 of 10 (310 views)
Shortcut
My turn. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. "We've got to find something else to occupy our minds besides the Connery/Keanu thing and the Great Soundtrack Debate."

2. "How does The Lord of the Rings lend reality to the real world?
She leaves the last word to the Jesuit Priest Father James V. Schall, quoted from his essay "On the Reality of Fantasy":
"The unsuspecting reader who thinks he is only reading "fantasy" in reading Tolkien will suddenly find himself pondering the state of his own soul because he recognises his own soul in each fairy-tale."

3a. What high place does Tehanu describe as having Rarefied Air? scholarship

That she is not a real Tolkien fan and that those on the newsgroup mostly don't like the movie.

4a. "TORN was about more than just spy reports on the movies". What did she say it was?
a community

Follow your bliss.

5a. Name one of the Tehanu's Notes no longer available online. The Power Of Myth

5b. Who is the editor of "The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien."? Erica Challis, Tehanu herself

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

fairelvenlady
Rivendell

Sep 9 2009, 8:54pm

Post #4 of 10 (302 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love these !

1. In her Introductory Note, Tehanu says that one reason to start her page is "sometimes there there just isnít a lot of news about the LOTR film project and weíve got to find something else to occupy our minds besides __________ and __________."
Connery/Keanu thing and the Great Soundtrack Debate

2. While discussing the Silmarillion, how does Tehanu address this big question: "How does The Lord of the Rings lend reality to the real world?

She addresses the question through a quote of a Jesuit Priest
Father James V. Schall

rarefied: a rarefied place, organization, or type of activity is only available to or understood by a small group of people - used to show disapproval:

She's either talking about scholarship or the Tolkien group

That she was not a real fan and that they have a reverence for Tolkien?

a place to discuss Tolkien.

basically we can look forward to trying to pursue what we like with abandon and have fun!

"Are We Not Geeks?"
Erica Challis

What happened when Legolas and Aragorn road with Eomer in the van.
Aragorn: Eomer, Legolas has his bow on my side of the seat!
Legolas: Well Aragorn keeps slapping me while practicing his "heroic" poses.
Eomer: Don't make me turn this van around.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 10 2009, 1:58am

Post #5 of 10 (404 views)
Shortcut
Does this take one back... [In reply to] Can't Post

Quite a fun hunt here, Magpie! Smile

1. In her Introductory Note, Tehanu says that one reason to start her page is "sometimes there just isnít a lot of news about the LOTR film project and weíve got to find something else to occupy our minds besides __________ and __________."
The Connery/Keanu thing and the Great Soundtrack Debate.

I think the first was regarding the casting of Gandalf (for a long time, some really did believe Sean Connery would bear the staff). And there's an entire Music Archive of back-and-forth about who should compose the soundtrack.

Through recognizing ourselves in the story.

Scholarship. I like her statement: "The more you know, the wider the view, but after spending a while climbing up steadily to achieve some higher knowledge, you lose the ability to wander at will around a landscape of ideas."

That she was "NARF" Laugh, and that those fans were mostly negative about the movie.

The sense of a vast community that wanted to discuss Tolkien.

That those who have been caught up in all this should "follow their bliss" and get involved in something they love.

Aww...I wanted to read "Are We Not Geeks?", what a title! "Scary Stuff" also...

Heh, I was about to say Turgon, but he's the editor of "Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader" (which I happen to have Smile). Tehanu herself (under her real life name) editied this book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

batik
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2009, 3:33am

Post #6 of 10 (305 views)
Shortcut
another link to say thanks for... [In reply to] Can't Post

1) "sometimes there there just isnít a lot of news about the LOTR film project and weíve got to find something else to occupy our minds besides __________ and __________."
that'd be the Connery/Keanu thing and the Great Soundtrack debate. Just a flicker of light--Sean Conner some rumor about his playing Gandalf. The others--I've no idea. Surely Keanu Reeves was rumored to have a role?

2) how does Tehanu address this big question: "How does The Lord of the Rings lend reality to the real world?
by quoting Father Schall

3a) ???
3b) 2 things realized>>> NARF status (!) and they (members of the other site) don't like the film(s)

4a) TORn also a sounding board
4b) look forward to dreaming and satisfying curiosity

5a) published note>>> Are We not Geeks
5b) Erica C (dang!! can't read my own writing Blush--would rather not spell than mis-spell)

(This post was edited by batik on Sep 11 2009, 3:35am)

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 12 2009, 1:23am

Post #7 of 10 (363 views)
Shortcut
Answers: open when finished with the hunt. [In reply to] Can't Post

This was kind of a tough one. For me, there is so much in Tehanu's Notes and a lot of it really speaks to me. And just like I've said my goal is to get people in there digging around, the secondary nature of the questions is to get people looking at important or interesting stuff (as defined by me, of course).

So, if you got in there and looked at the relevant passages, then pretty much whatever answer you provided met that goal. When I post answers, it's only partly to verify that someone got it right (and I don't verify anything. I'm just happy you played). I also provide answers because I think perhaps there's someone out there that wonders what the answer is but wasn't able to look it up.

So, with those qualifiers in place, here are the passages I pulled from Tehanu's Notes from which I drew those questions.

1. In her Introductory Note, Tehanu says that one reason to start her page is "sometimes there there just isnít a lot of news about the LOTR film project and weíve got to find something else to occupy our minds besides Connery/Keanu thing and the Great Soundtrack Debate."
Well, I think you all know or can guess that the Connery/Keanu thing was pretty much the LOTR version of the Cruise/Tennant/MacAvoy thing for The Hobbit. I was curious about the Great Soundtrack Debate. Dernwyn said,
And there's an entire Music Archive of back-and-forth about who should compose the soundtrack.
I had forgotten that. I stumbled across those old Archives a long time ago. I can't find them now. Does any know where they are?

2. While discussing the Silmarillion, how does Tehanu address this big question: "How does The Lord of the Rings lend reality to the real world? She wrote:
Iíll leave the last word to the Jesuit Priest Father James V. Schall, quoted from his essay ĎOn the Reality of Fantasyí:
ĎThe unsuspecting reader who thinks he is only reading "fantasy" in reading Tolkien will suddenly find himself pondering the state of his own soul because he recognises his own soul in each fairy-tale."

3a. What high place does Tehanu describe as having Rarefied Air? Well, the paragraph I copied out as being interested in was this one:
Is scholarship boring? The more you know, the wider the view, but after spending a while climbing up steadily to achieve some higher knowledge, you lose the ability to wander at will around a landscape of ideas. Looking down from up here, there are less surprises, and looking up, the possibilities for ascent are narrowing to a few clearly-marked and well-beaten tracks. I am stuck on some kind of South Col of knowledge, and I want to phone the rescue helicopter to get me off right now before I get bored.
So, to my mind, Rarefied Air is found on those heights one achieves by gaining 'higher knowledge'. Tehanu thinks there may be trade-offs for sitting in these high places. I think we've had this conversation here and I know I've had it with friends and on other boards especially in relationship to discussing Tolkien.

I went and had a look at alt.fan.tolkien today for the first time, and realised that Iím not a real Tolkien fan. And no, mostly they donít like the movie.

Luckily for everyone, TORN was about more than just spy reports on the movies. As nice as it was to receive those spymails, I enjoyed just as much the constant stream of mail from people who wanted to discuss Tolkien. People who offered points of view, who debated and explained, who brought their life experience to bear on their understanding of the books. Best of all was the diversity -- there were Tolkien fans of all ages and backgrounds from so many parts of the world. As time went on I began to sense a community that was growing across the distances. I could read between the lines and trace how for some people the act of entering this community enlarged their lives and in some cases freed them from a burden of dullness, isolation and entrapment. There can be nothing that has given me more satisfaction.

What to look forward to now that the movies are as good as done? Well, what have you learned from them? Not the story of the Ring; you knew that already. What is the lesson in the story of the making of the movies? That's the story of you getting involved in the excitement, the guesswork, the speculation, the ideas, the process of seeing them come into the light. The story of you spending time thinking about Middle-earth, and your delight in discovering that other people cared about it as much as you do. This story is the point, and it is what the great mythographer Joseph Campbell called 'following your bliss.'
I can tell you that this article moved me so much I first kept digging out the url to share with people, then I bookmarked it. It is perhaps one of the oldest bookmarks in my collection. Other pages have disappeared. Other interests have come and gone. But that Note remains meaningful for me.

Are We Not Geeks?
The Power Of Myth
Scary Stuff

The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien (Paperback)
by TheOneRing.Net (Author), Erica Challis (Editor)

As Dernwyn noted, Erica is the real life name of Tehanu.

Thanks to all who played. Here are the collectible medals for your collection.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 15 2009, 8:59am

Post #8 of 10 (319 views)
Shortcut
These are so great, Magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

While I, shamefully, haven't had time to participate right now, I've been saving them and plan to throw myself into the hunt asap! In the meanwhile, I just wanted to say THANKS SO MUCH for these. They are treasure, fersher... and a wonderful tribute for the best of TORn :D

Cheers... and keep on truckin'!!!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 15 2009, 10:12am

Post #9 of 10 (276 views)
Shortcut
The Music Rumors! [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you know that our esteemed Admins did a little embellishing to the "Welcome" forum, and now have links to the archives in there?

One of the seven boards there is Links to the Old TORn Boards! I did browse through there for a little bit, and the Casting Rumors board.

Our own "blast from the past"! Heart

And thank you for the medal! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 15 2009, 12:51pm

Post #10 of 10 (304 views)
Shortcut
doh! I didn't think to look there [In reply to] Can't Post

Depending on what page you're on for the main site, you get different navigation menus to the left. I just kept wandering around the site trying to get the navigation menu to show those early archived boards. (I think they showed up there as some point in the past).

But I forgot that we had some links here that might lead to them.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.