Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
There's a rumor going around that the Blu-ray release of LotR theatrical is pushed back...

Patty
Immortal

Sep 7 2009, 6:31pm

Post #1 of 13 (276 views)
Shortcut
There's a rumor going around that the Blu-ray release of LotR theatrical is pushed back... Can't Post

to 2010. Hope this means they will be releasing both versions simultaneously. I didn't want to wait longer on the EEs.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3378

Permanent address: Into the West

Artanis
Rohan

Sep 8 2009, 7:50pm

Post #2 of 13 (145 views)
Shortcut
Hmm well [In reply to] Can't Post

that will solve one problem for me, as I've been holding off watching the LOTR again till it comes out on bluray...even though I'm desperate to watch it again, but if it's going to be next year then I need wait no longer!! Sly

Artanis

Patty
Immortal

Sep 9 2009, 1:56pm

Post #3 of 13 (125 views)
Shortcut
This rumor has been confirmed. No theatricals this year in Blu-ray. [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like early 2010.

Mark Sommer
Rivendell

Sep 10 2009, 2:59am

Post #4 of 13 (325 views)
Shortcut
It's true [In reply to] Can't Post

From Hi-Def Digest:

New Line/Warner has delayed 'The Lord of the Rings Trilogy' originally slated to hit Blu-ray this November.
The 7-disc set scheduled for November 3 has been removed from the slate and will now be released sometime in 2010 (likely in the Spring).

Warner has not provided any reasons for the delay, however there is some speculation that the studio doesn't want the title to "get lost in the crowd" from their other high profile releases according to reports from The Digital Bits.
You can find the latest specs for 'The Lord of the Rings Trilogy' linked from our Blu-ray Release Schedule, where it's now indexed under PENDING.

Mark Sommer
Hollywood Jesus The Hobbit Whole

(This post was edited by Mark Sommer on Sep 10 2009, 3:00am)

Patty
Immortal

Sep 10 2009, 3:57pm

Post #5 of 13 (102 views)
Shortcut
Yeah. The way the fans were boycotting this release on Amazon... [In reply to] Can't Post

hoping to "force" an EE or seamless branching Blu release so we wouldn't have to buy yet another copy of the films may be something that the studios looked at when coming to this decision. Or the less- than- praised picture quality of the recent Gladiator blu ray release may have made them halt the long-awaited blu LotR release until they made sure it was perfect. Who knows what the reason may be. But I really don't want to wait till The Hobbit gets released to have LotR in Blu-ray.

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Sep 10 2009, 4:23pm

Post #6 of 13 (102 views)
Shortcut
Worst excuse evAr... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
there is some speculation that the studio doesn't want the title to "get lost in the crowd" from their other high profile releases

Does not compute. LOTR is the crowd that any other first week of November release would get lost in. What else was there? "Witchblade, the complete series?" "I love you Beth Cooper?"Cool

This is one of the the crown jewels of BD commercial releases that has the capability to encourage people to buy new equipment just to view it, and to miss the Nov-Dec holiday buying season is idiotic.

I think of all the reasons for a delay, this is one of the least likely.

(This post was edited by Brandybuckled on Sep 10 2009, 4:24pm)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Sep 10 2009, 7:11pm

Post #7 of 13 (91 views)
Shortcut
Reasons for delay kinda weak [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah I've read the assumptions on why the rumored release date has been rumored to be pushed back to a rumored March release.

I'm kinda hoping it's because they want to put some exclusive Hobbit footage on it - but hey principle work probably won't even be going on by then for Hobbit huh.

Go figure, but yeah I'd like to see the theatrical and EE releases on the same blue ray. Thou shalt not double dip on this one.

Good... Bad..... I'm the guy with the gun.

shadowdog
Rohan

Sep 11 2009, 4:36pm

Post #8 of 13 (83 views)
Shortcut
It says it is the theatrical version. [In reply to] Can't Post

Any word on EE Blueray release.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 12 2009, 1:17am

Post #9 of 13 (74 views)
Shortcut
I'm kind of afraid of seamless branching... [In reply to] Can't Post

even though I've never seen a disc done that way (I didn't get the LE of LotR). All of that movie information on a disc + at least two commentaries--will even blu -ray hold that much?

Nazguy
Bree

Sep 13 2009, 9:10pm

Post #10 of 13 (66 views)
Shortcut
Awww [In reply to] Can't Post

Slightly annoying news :(

Ah well, it's not as if I haven't seen the films already. They are going to look so awesome in hi-def.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Sep 14 2009, 3:32am

Post #11 of 13 (209 views)
Shortcut
Well I don't know about all three on one disc... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but yeah there's more than enough room for both versions of one film on one disc with or without seamless branching - though I don't see them not doing seamless branching.

Good... Bad..... I'm the guy with the gun.

weathertop
Rohan

Sep 14 2009, 8:16pm

Post #12 of 13 (55 views)
Shortcut
ahh i wish they'd have continued that series. [In reply to] Can't Post

really liked Witchblade!

Patty
Immortal

Sep 14 2009, 8:39pm

Post #13 of 13 (53 views)
Shortcut
No, I mean... [In reply to] Can't Post

all of one of the movies on a disc + its EE segments, + at least two commentaries (the data for which all has to go on the disc with the film itself). So, there would be a BD for each of the 3 movies. Can Blu-ray hold all of a movie that long (about 3 1/2 hrs, 3 hrs. 45 min, and 4 hours 20 minutes each respectively) and separate commentaries for producers, cast, tech folks?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.