Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Do You Encounter Names...

priell3
Lorien

Sep 2 2009, 3:22pm

Post #1 of 23 (420 views)
Shortcut
Do You Encounter Names... Can't Post

...in daily life that remind you of characters or places in Tolkien's books?

I attended a community concert a few years ago. The program listed "B. Baggins" as one of the members
of the orchestra. I didn't notice anyone "Hobbit-sized" though. In my line of work I see many names. Seen one recently of a person who's last name
is "Isen". There have been others, just can't remember them at the moment.

diedye
Grey Havens

Sep 2 2009, 3:58pm

Post #2 of 23 (310 views)
Shortcut
Funny you should ask... [In reply to] Can't Post

... part of my job entails entering names and addresses of clients and I come across quite a few on a weekly basis. For instance, just now, one of the names I entered was "Rohan" (as a first name).

Blessed are the cracked,
For they are the ones who let in the light!

And back again
Rivendell

Sep 2 2009, 5:15pm

Post #3 of 23 (288 views)
Shortcut
There's a bed company in this town called... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gondorf.

Makes me do a double-take every time I go by.

And there used to be a glazier's van that I'd see from time to time that reminded me of Legolas, but it's been such a long time now that I've forgotten the name.

I will go there ... and back again.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 2 2009, 5:33pm

Post #4 of 23 (296 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Many years ago, just about the time I first read the books, there was a Gandalf car dealership in Ohio!

A good friend of my daughter-in-law named her son Rohan -- turns out it's an Indian/South Asian name. When my son told me this, he added with a chuckle, "I bet you'll remember his name, won't you, Mom?"

Our neighbors are named Brimberry, which could be a hobbit name.

I once did a double take at a professor interviewed in a PBS special. His name was either Harbottle or Bracegirdle, I don't remember now -- but y'all will know why I associate the two names.

I pass an Overhill Street on my way to my tai chi class, and every time say to myself, "The name Baggins isn't safe. Outside the Shire, go by the name of -- Overhill."

The list goes on....

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Ettelewen
Rohan

Sep 2 2009, 9:24pm

Post #5 of 23 (279 views)
Shortcut
We had a "Strider" at school, [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a nickname, that was his real name. And a "Wyn", named for Eowyn I'm told. I don't remember any especially "hobbity" names though.

weathertop
Rohan

Sep 2 2009, 10:15pm

Post #6 of 23 (254 views)
Shortcut
got a Golem here at work! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Sep 2 2009, 10:35pm

Post #7 of 23 (267 views)
Shortcut
There's a rather down-at-heel pub [In reply to] Can't Post

not far away from me called 'Hornblowers'. And about half an hour away there's a garden centre called 'Rivendell'. The location isn't very Elven, but I haven't been to the centre itself to see if it has made any effort to link to LOTR! The outdoor clothing shop 'Rohan' always makes me smile.

EmynArnenLady
Rivendell

Sep 2 2009, 11:21pm

Post #8 of 23 (259 views)
Shortcut
Down the street... [In reply to] Can't Post

about a quarter of a mile from my street is "Greenleaf Rd". Always makes my smile whenever I pass it.

Lego-mainiac and proud of it!!
Photobucket

When true hearts lie withered, and fond ones are flown
Oh who would inhabit this bleak world alone?
- The last Rose of Summer, Thomas Moore

Crackle: "Those freakin' elves man....they came from the trees...they came from the trees!"
Pop: "Here's to Snap...." - (Family Guy Episode)

Luke Goss for Thranduil!

tennie75
Lorien

Sep 3 2009, 3:29am

Post #9 of 23 (248 views)
Shortcut
close to home [In reply to] Can't Post

there is a subdivision near my hometown that is called "The Shire". I really must go one of these days to find out what kind of architecture they are using and what are the street names.

Fruit of Laurelin
Rivendell

Sep 3 2009, 9:19am

Post #10 of 23 (233 views)
Shortcut
there's a... [In reply to] Can't Post

outdoor equipment shop called Lothlorian (or something like that) and also a jogging group thing called the Manawatu Striders. I've seen others, but these are the only ones that ever jumped out at me.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2009, 4:41pm

Post #11 of 23 (229 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes [In reply to] Can't Post

The entire neighbourhood where I live has the streetnames after Tolkien-names.
So when I drive home, a drive down Tolkien-avenue, come pass Yavanna, Arda, Frodo and Peregrin, go right on Balin, park my car close to Meriadoc, and open my frontdoor at Bofur.
And when you cross Fangorn, you walk straight onto Saruman, so it is true he lives on the border of Fangorn Wink.

And a colleague of mine has two rabbits named Gimli and Rosie, as soon as I heard that, I knew what the next topic of our conversation would be.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Sep 3 2009, 6:52pm

Post #12 of 23 (232 views)
Shortcut
There was a hard-core Tolkien fan in my city's development [In reply to] Can't Post

There are about half a dozen Tolkien-related names in one area on the other side of town- Evenstar, Elfstone, Finrod, Barrow, and the like. It was the Silmarillion names in that area that made me just go nuts XD

My brother's old friend also lived on Rivendell Ct. I would love to live on a street with a Tolkien name, hehe.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography ~ My LOTR fan fiction

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 4 2009, 6:06am

Post #13 of 23 (207 views)
Shortcut
Rohan is a very very common Indian name :) [In reply to] Can't Post

It's pronounced "row - hun" Smile

EDIT: I just realized that is exactly how Saruman pronounces it when he says "Rohan, my Lord, is ready to fall" Cool I would think the traditional pronounciation would be "row - han" (where "han" rhymes with "barn", albeit without the trilled "r") because it's derived form Rochand, but anyway... Crazy

"Crows and Gibbets! What is the House of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater sires."

(This post was edited by Earl on Sep 4 2009, 6:12am)

Elvanui
Rivendell

Sep 4 2009, 10:29am

Post #14 of 23 (236 views)
Shortcut
There's a girl I know of [In reply to] Can't Post

through my work who is called Lorien, apparently her parents were fans :) I have a friend whose surname is Broadfoot, very Hobbity, and there's a pub quite near to where I live called 'The Fellowship'. And there's quite a big outdoors-y shop here called Rohan, which makes me double-take whenever I see the sign. It all makes me smile!

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

AnnaEstel
The Shire

Sep 4 2009, 4:25pm

Post #15 of 23 (194 views)
Shortcut
I don't know about 'encounter' [In reply to] Can't Post

Since these are my own doing, but both of my kids and my dog all have Tolkien names. I think I'm the only ringer in a huge area around me, cause I almost never run into Tolkien names, even similar ones, where I am. Sometimes when I go to bigger cities.

Galador khiluva mornie. Estel na illuve!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 4 2009, 8:36pm

Post #16 of 23 (180 views)
Shortcut
There's an Underhill here at work.// [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 4 2009, 8:39pm

Post #17 of 23 (204 views)
Shortcut
Oh, well if we're talking streets [In reply to] Can't Post

there's this neighborhood in my old hometown. Not only Hobbit Street, but Gilgalad Way and Shire Court and Chetwood Court. And if you scroll down a bit, there's Evenstar Court.

And there's also a Rivendell School in town. It's been there for decades. My nieces and nephew went to school there.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Sep 4 2009, 8:44pm)

EmynArnenLady
Rivendell

Sep 4 2009, 9:56pm

Post #18 of 23 (183 views)
Shortcut
No Way!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Ft. Collins?? That's awsome! I never knew! Maybe I should have just moved up there...Then 'Boo' would be going there for school! She'd love that!

Lego-mainiac and proud of it!!
Photobucket

When true hearts lie withered, and fond ones are flown
Oh who would inhabit this bleak world alone?
- The last Rose of Summer, Thomas Moore

Crackle: "Those freakin' elves man....they came from the trees...they came from the trees!"
Pop: "Here's to Snap...." - (Family Guy Episode)

Luke Goss for Thranduil!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 7 2009, 11:52am

Post #19 of 23 (164 views)
Shortcut
There's a person on my campus [In reply to] Can't Post

with the last name of Greenleaf, and there's also a road called Hobbiton Lane in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
But what's really fun is this Brandywine Bridge Hiking Trail in Pennsylvania. It's about 33 miles west of Philadelphia near a small town called Downingtown Borough :)

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

the_argonath
Lorien

Sep 9 2009, 4:21pm

Post #20 of 23 (147 views)
Shortcut
In fact.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... there's an outdoor clothing shop in the UK called Rohan. And at work we sell Old Shire cheese... I bought some (naturally!) & it's good!!

~*Haudh-en-Ndengin the Elves named it, the Hill of Slain, and Haugh-en-Nirnaeth, the Hill of tears... the earth beneath which the swords of the Eldar and the Edain crumbled into rust*~

TolkienJackson
Bree

Sep 9 2009, 4:29pm

Post #21 of 23 (155 views)
Shortcut
My grandfather's name is... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Rudolf.

I know I should be reminded of Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer when I hear his name, but instead I am always reminded of Gandalf instead for some reason.

King Kong and Tolkien - My, PJ has good taste!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 13 2009, 5:49pm

Post #22 of 23 (156 views)
Shortcut
One of my daughter's roommates is "Bree". [In reply to] Can't Post

She just sent a photo of herself with her three college roomies this year - seriously, that's the girl's name!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Alicia
Lorien

Sep 15 2009, 2:31am

Post #23 of 23 (136 views)
Shortcut
Been busy... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi all! I haven't posted much 'cuz RL has been so busy. Selling a house, buying a house, packing, the whole deal falling through... blah! Oh, well. Everything happens for a reason. I don't actually know anyone - or anything! - with any LoTR names, but on the LoTR Yahoo group that I'm on, I chose the name Lorien Greenleaf for myself. A lot of people chose names (you don't have to have an LoTR name, but it's fun) through name generators, but I wanted to make my own. I chose Lorien because it almost sounds like a "regular" name, but it's Elvish, & it's the 2nd half of Lothlorien, which is my favourite location in LoTR. Greenleaf... well, I needed a last name, & while I abhor the practice of a woman taking her husband's last name when they marry (no offence meant to anyone who did, but I can't stand it) I didn't have my own LoTR last name, & since Legolas is my favourite, I stole his. Which isn't to say I married him, of course, Laugh but I love the name. And he's... um... attractive.Blush

-Alicia

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.