Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
ĎTen movie sequels we didnít needí.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 2 2009, 1:49am

Post #1 of 27 (308 views)
Shortcut
ĎTen movie sequels we didnít needí. Can't Post

Hot on the heals of news that Stallone is going to reprise his role of Rambo for a fifth movie, NZHerald.com has come up with its list of ĎTen movie sequels we didnít needí.

What do you think of this list? Are there other movies that you would include instead?

10. Freddy's Dead - The Final Nightmare
(A) bonafide turkey which ultimately proves one thing: it really is time someone made Freddy hang up his hat for good.
Widow Ellen Brody's (Lorraine Gary) flees Amity Island to the sanctuary of the Bahamas, convinced that the great white is stalking her and her brood because of some "evil curse".

8. Alien: Resurrection
What were you thinking, Sigourney Weaver?

7. Basic Instinct 2
Sharon Stone reprises her role as novelist and suspected serial murderer Catherine Tramell in this long-delayed sequel to 1992's Basic Instinct.

6. Speed 2
The original's leading male, Keanu 'The One' Reeves, wisely opted out of this stinker of a sequel, only to be replaced by a square-jawed Jason Patric whose on-screen chemistry with the Bullock amounted to the square root of nothing.

5. Grease 2
(This film) follows the yawning exploits of a boy newcomer who's desperate to catch the eye of the blonde bombshell leader of the Pink Ladies, Stephanie Zinone (Michelle Pfeiffer).

4. Police Academy 7: Mission to Moscow
Total travesty. (And the others werenít??)

3. Matrix Revolutions
Self-indulgent and full of metaphysical hokum, Revolutions goes down in a blaze of CGI-propped glory.

2. Batman & Robin
The film was widely panned for its campy-take on the franchise and frequently pops up on 'worst ever' lists online. Hammy and over-acted, Batman & Robin is a celluloid smorgasbord of dull.

1. Star Wars - Episode I, The Phantom Menace
Formulaic, over-cooked, with inexplicable plot twists, tongue-in-cheek dialogue and more than a fistful of loose ends, Phantom bares no real resemblance to the freshness and cool that tantalised moviegoers' senses so craftily with the original episodes. (Whereas I thought the best part about Episode II was that it made Episode I look better.)

So what are your thoughts?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 2 2009, 2:06am

Post #2 of 27 (186 views)
Shortcut
I would contest Matrix Revolutions [In reply to] Can't Post

It may not have been a great movie (and I think that's a separate discussion) but the story wasn't complete with the second Matrix. In my mind the others are sequels to completed stories, where the original could stand-alone without consequences. But Matrix Reloaded ended on a cliff-hanger. The sequel was necessary. Revolutions just wasn't the sequel everyone wanted.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

batik
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2009, 2:39am

Post #3 of 27 (178 views)
Shortcut
pass, pass, pass [In reply to] Can't Post

#10 didn't see this one
#9 ???? was this (supposed to be) one of the Jaws franchise? Eh. I saw it. Why?????
#8 is this the one that co-starred Wynona Ryder? Eh. Saw that one, too.
#7 passed
#6 ew...this one was pretty lame and I really like both Jason Patric and Sandra Bullock...in some other films.
#5 passed
#4 passed
#3 saw bits and pieces--never really got the whole Matrix thing
#2 saw it, didn't hate it
#1 ah now, this one has some sentimental value--a new generation of SW fans--my son amongst them.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 2 2009, 2:46am

Post #4 of 27 (160 views)
Shortcut
Were there no bad sequels before the 1990s? // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Silmarillion in the Reading Room, Aug. 9 - Mar 7. Please join the conversation!

This week: "Of the Coming of the Elves" and "Of Thingol and Melian".
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Morthoron
Gondor

Sep 2 2009, 4:28am

Post #5 of 27 (164 views)
Shortcut
The Godfather III... [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr, Copolla, you couldn't leave well enough alone with two of the greatest films ever made, could ya? Ya had to go and blow it on a third installment!

Highlander II and III -- I loved the quirky first movie, with the music of Queen and Sean Connery as a Spanish Peacock, and also Kirgan, a delightfully funny bad guy (loved him sticking his tongue out at the nuns). The sequels? Plain dumb.

Two novel-length stories nominated for 2009 MEFAs--

MONTY PYTHON'S 'The HOBBIT':
http://www.fanfiction.net/...y_Pythons_The_Hobbit

-And-

'TALES OF A DARK CONTINENT':
http://www.fanfiction.net/..._of_a_Dark_Continent

Anorien
Rohan

Sep 2 2009, 4:57am

Post #6 of 27 (158 views)
Shortcut
Haven't seen all of them [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a big fan of Star Wars episode 1, the writing bothered me, along with Jar Jar Binx (how ever you spell his name). I liked the 4th one (1st one made) the best.

The Lord of the Fellowship of the Return of the Two Towers of the Hobbit King of the Rings...with the Silmarillion!

weathertop
Lorien

Sep 2 2009, 5:08am

Post #7 of 27 (179 views)
Shortcut
a NEW rambo? [In reply to] Can't Post

sweet!

wait, you're being serious...hmmmm.

Sunflower
Valinor

Sep 2 2009, 5:18am

Post #8 of 27 (173 views)
Shortcut
Whaaaat?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Another Rambo, with The Sly One back with an RPG, maybe?

No.
No.
No. NO.

Just...NO.

I mean, we had the whole of the Bush years *cough*, and NOW we are going to get this character back? HUH?

Just let me know the proposed release date and I will perform a mock excorcism ritual at my local theater on its opening night...

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 2 2009, 10:10am

Post #9 of 27 (158 views)
Shortcut
Well then, I'll contest your contesting ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Matrix Revolutions was needed to finish off Matrix Reloaded; but Matrix Reloaded wasn't needed, either. The first movie ended on a perfect note with Neo suddenly flying away from a phone booth, in the middle of a crowded street, with a warning to the machines that he was coming for them. We were left to make up our own succeeding chapters, and that was entirely appropriate considering the "Anything is possible now" ending of the movie. And indeed, practically anything any of us imagined would have been better than what the Wachowskis gave us in the second and third films.

For me, the only good thing about parts II and III was the actor who channeled Agent Smith so perfectly, playing the guy who was more-or-less possessed by him.

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2009, 2:10pm

Post #10 of 27 (144 views)
Shortcut
I know the answer to that question: [In reply to] Can't Post

What is Matrix?
What is Pirates of the Caribbean?
What is any Disney animated film, safe for Aladdin?
What is Rocky?
What is Rambo?
What is Die Hard?
What is Terminator 3?
What is Indy 4?
What is Transformers?
What is ANY terror movie?

Just to name a few.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2009, 4:10pm

Post #11 of 27 (134 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the Matrix ended very well with the open-interpretation ending- something that District 9 did very well, too- and that it should have ended there.

But you know Hollywood... they love to milk the cash cow...

I personally just pretend the other two (with the exception of the awesome ghost twins) don't exist.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography ~ My LOTR fan fiction

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Sep 2 2009, 4:59pm

Post #12 of 27 (133 views)
Shortcut
I don't disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

I just think the list should be more specific. Matrix: Reloaded was the unnecessary sequel (but one I kind of liked) But once they made number 2 they had to make number 3. The list reads more like 10 sequels that didn't live up to the originals (or were far below par) instead of "unnecessary" sequels. The two are slightly different things.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Sunflower
Valinor

Sep 2 2009, 5:34pm

Post #13 of 27 (127 views)
Shortcut
Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

How many people think there should be a sequel to District 9? Neil Blomkamp said he didn't write the film with a sequel in mind, but would love to do one-- take us to "District 10," as it were.

As I came out of the fim with a load of questions, at first I loved the idea, but now I'm reconsidering. There's nothing that fans are wondering that couldn't be explained with a series of killer graphic novels. Nothing more may be needed. I didn't even remember that another thing that made D9 wonderful was that there was NO ancillerary merchandise--none. Not even a film novelization! No Wikus in the suit action figures. No plush "Little CJ" dolls. That was a fantastic thing.

Which is what we will get with a "D10" if it happens--no matter where the sequel takes us, and what biting socio-political commentary it has to offer. Plus, a sequel can't help but get conventional--we get to have the difficult question of revenge vs redmeption spelled out for us. As in, does CJ come back to Earth with an army and take revenge. The fanboys want it very much. But what if Blomkamp chooses the Mandela route--and there's no easy answer of an alien army blasting away and kicking MNU butt? This should be something that remains open and debatable for the ages...

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2009, 5:42pm

Post #14 of 27 (122 views)
Shortcut
I walked out on Grease 2. :o)~ / [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2009, 5:43pm

Post #15 of 27 (153 views)
Shortcut
Well, there was one good reason for making Godfather III: [In reply to] Can't Post

Andy Garcia giving lessons on making gnocchi and shooting intruders in his maroon silk bathrobe....Did other stuff happen in that movie?

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 2 2009, 7:12pm

Post #16 of 27 (121 views)
Shortcut
Pity me - I sat through the whole thing. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Patty
Immortal

Sep 2 2009, 8:34pm

Post #17 of 27 (142 views)
Shortcut
This is the exact case of Pirates of the Caribbean... [In reply to] Can't Post

once they made the unnecessary 2nd film they had to make the 3rd one.

But the more times I watch all 3 the better I begin to feel about 2 and 3. Ideally, though, they should have quit after the first one.

Permanent address: Into the West

Annael
Half-elven

Sep 3 2009, 2:58am

Post #18 of 27 (107 views)
Shortcut
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier [In reply to] Can't Post

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was pretty bad too.

There are a lot more on lists on the web, but I haven't seen them. Fortunately.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

batik
Tol Eressea

Sep 3 2009, 3:25am

Post #19 of 27 (100 views)
Shortcut
from.... [In reply to] Can't Post

filmreferencedotcom

After the occasional sequels made in the United States in the 1940s and 1950s, it was in the 1970s and 1980s that "sequelitis," as the film critic J. Hoberman called it, appeared to take hold. The Godfather (1972) was followed by The Godfather Part II; American Graffiti (1973) by More American Graffiti (1979); Grease (1978) by Grease 2 (1982); and Jaws (1975) by Jaws 2 (1978), Jaws 3-D (1984), and eventually Jaws the Revenge (1987). The trend toward sequels continued unabated into the 1990s and early 2000s: The Terminator (1984) was followed by Terminator 2 (1991), Young Guns (1988) by Young Guns 2 (1990), The Silence of the Lambs (1991) by Hannibal (2001), and Spiderman (2002) by Spiderman 2 (2004).

My opinions on those from the 70's/80's:
Godfather II: as good as the original, or nearly
Jaws 2: not as good as Jaws
Young Guns 2: not as good as the first (but Viggo had a role!)
Did not see Grease 2 or More American Graffiti.

There were references to films/sequels in the 20's and 30's, including "Zorro" and "Frankenstein".
No mention of sequels in the 60's in the article--maybe I missed that. Surely there were some?

Patty
Immortal

Sep 3 2009, 4:35am

Post #20 of 27 (130 views)
Shortcut
Star trek V... [In reply to] Can't Post

wasn't that the one where they try to find God? (shame I can't remember--I just watched it month before last.) If that was the one, it was indeed horrible.

Permanent address: Into the West

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 3 2009, 9:20am

Post #21 of 27 (93 views)
Shortcut
Mummy III, B&T Bogus Adventure [In reply to] Can't Post

the later Jaws, and Matrix III. Those come to mind the quickest, but certainly aren't the only ones.

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2009, 9:58am

Post #22 of 27 (96 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and it was the one [In reply to] Can't Post

that Shatner directed (and co-wrote too, I think). Tongue

It was even worse than the first one, Star Trek: The Motionless Picture.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

stormcrow20
Gondor

Sep 4 2009, 1:01am

Post #23 of 27 (87 views)
Shortcut
It's been a while since I've seen The Phantom Menace... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but what were the loose ends, that were not tied up in Episodes II and III?

I agree with most of the list, except Alien: Resurrection. Sure it wasn't spectacular, but I still enjoyed it.

"Expect me when you see me."

fairelvenlady
Rivendell

Sep 4 2009, 2:54am

Post #24 of 27 (83 views)
Shortcut
I concur! [In reply to] Can't Post

While there are moments that i enjoy in the 2nd and 3rd POTC the way they ended the series makes me wish they never went beyond 1 movie. (my poor Will and Elizabeth "sniff")

What happened when Legolas and Aragorn road with Eomer in the van.
Aragorn: Eomer, Legolas has his bow on my side of the seat!
Legolas: Well Aragorn keeps slapping me while practicing his "heroic" poses.
Eomer: Don't make me turn this van around.

TintallŽ
Gondor

Sep 4 2009, 4:47pm

Post #25 of 27 (72 views)
Shortcut
Pulse 2: Afterlife [In reply to] Can't Post

In the words of random Netflix viewers, which are infinitely superior to my own:

"I didn't think that "Pulse" made enough money to warrant a sequel, but here it is. And there's a reason it went straight to DVD. This thing is likely to induce a coma. Boring can't even describe how bad it is. I'm not sure why, but everyone looks like they are acting against a green screen for the first half, and then. . . oh, I can't go on. In the film, people are overcome by melancholy so they commit suicide. Perhaps, this was the intention of "Pulse 2" - to overcome its audience with such boredom and apathy that watchers would do the same."

"Amazing they made a sequel to Pulse. Even more amazing is that they have made a 3rd sequel which I am looking forward to about as much as I would look forward to a prostate exam from a rhino."

Hmmm, perhaps this doesn't really qualify at all, since the first movie was so abysmal.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.