Please let those 3D 'Hobbit' rumors rest in peace
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 28 2009, 9:39pm

Post #26 of 88 (12922 views)
Shortcut
Sources aren't responsible when the situation changes. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was months from that post until things actually fell into place.

Sources can, at best, report what the situation appears to be at the time, they can't be expected to be clairvoyant. Likewise here: it may be entirely true that they have no intention of making a 3D Hobbit, but if there's some great technological breakthrough or policy change at the studio in the months before shooting actually starts it could change.

I do hope not, though.

The Rohirrim, by Peter Xavier Price

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Tim
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2009, 9:50pm

Post #27 of 88 (12706 views)
Shortcut
Acountability [In reply to] Can't Post

It was months from that post until things actually fell into place.

Sources can, at best, report what the situation appears to be at the time, they can't be expected to be clairvoyant.

This is true, but this is why these "sources" should probably avoid making guarantee's. Words mean things, when they put themselves in a position of saying they have the inside scoop and know what's going to happen in the future, then they have to be held to the standard they're holding forth for themselves.

Otherwise, they can just continue to say stuff and we just have to keep taking them seriously - because we never hold them accountable.

If I were a source and had the inside track, I would couch my proclamations of future events in probabilities, if I dared to speak at all.

Good... Bad..... I'm the guy with the gun.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 28 2009, 10:29pm

Post #28 of 88 (12746 views)
Shortcut
Did the situation change? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or were the sources just wrong? How would we know? They were "guaranteeing" that Jackson would direct The Hobbit -- not just that that was there was a plan for him to do so at the time the guarantee was made. Shouldn't we at least be told if these are the same sources who were "staking their reputations" on the realization of that event, so we can better assess the likelihood of their claims that The Hobbit will be a 3-D film?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Silmarillion in the Reading Room, Aug. 9 - Mar 7. Please join the conversation!

This week: "Of the Beginning of Days"
and "Of Aulė and Yavanna".

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Snaga
Lorien

Aug 28 2009, 11:13pm

Post #29 of 88 (12842 views)
Shortcut
I saw the Avatar trailer on a 2D screen... [In reply to] Can't Post

...last week and was really, really impressed. I was getting myself psyched to go see it in 3D when it came out. A bummer to hear it won't live up to that.

As far as my overall opinion of 3D in general, I am yet to see a movie in 3D that was worth wearing the dorky glasses for. And I'm talking about the quality of the screenplay, not the 3D effects. I really WANT the technology to come of age and enhance the movie experience. I'm just not convinced it's there yet.

As far as the Hobbit in 3D? I'm in the camp that wants to see seamless continuity between H1 &2 and the other films. Please keep the look and feel of all five films the same. If you want to convert them and peddle them in a special 3D edition in five years or so, have at it.

Just my two cents.

"Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial!"

-Faramir, reflecting on his brother.

(This post was edited by Snaga on Aug 28 2009, 11:14pm)

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Aug 28 2009, 11:19pm

Post #30 of 88 (13220 views)
Shortcut
With all respect, are you kidding? [In reply to] Can't Post

I try to allow room for different opinions and discussion but this is beyond that now and its just simply bad information.

I heard Peter Jackson say twice in two days with my own ears that 'The Hobbit' would not be in 3D. One was in a room with 40 people discussing 3D cameras and the new digital red cameras that he had tried out and the merits of film and digital movie making. The group was discussing true film-nerd minutia and it was a definitive "no 3D" statement.

The next time was with James Cameron who was praising 3D while sitting with Jackson in front of 6,500 people and Jackson said plainly, again, that "The Hobbit" wasn't going to be in 3D.

That was good enough for me but since then, the internet ran with your unnamed sources and so, finally, I went to the guy who is directing the movie.

Guillermo responded to my question also saying it wasn't being discussed. You can twist his words to keep you hope or the credibility of your sources alive but in the context of the question, I am 100% satisfied that they are planning on a traditional film shoot, not 3D. They have no motive to deny or hide it.

Do you think these two guys are intentionally lying about this or do you think they don't know the truth? I can't figure that out.

I am done, completely, with any 3D discussion of this movie until GDT or PJ or Weta or Warners says otherwise.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

(This post was edited by MrCere on Aug 28 2009, 11:28pm)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2009, 11:43pm

Post #31 of 88 (12709 views)
Shortcut
*stands up in the audience and says "yeah" to what MrCere just said* [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you think these two guys are intentionally lying about this or do you think they don't know the truth? I can't figure that out.

Well said MrCere. Proponents of the "secret hidden 'there will be a 3D Hobbit' theory" you just lack any reason that makes sense that PJ and GDT would hide everything then contradict themselves later.

Good... Bad..... I'm the guy with the gun.

lumpkin
The Shire

Aug 29 2009, 3:05am

Post #32 of 88 (12967 views)
Shortcut
Those malicious Interwebs [In reply to] Can't Post

That little reference gave me an unlooked for reason to smile.
Good thing we have your infallible intelligence. And I do mean that in both senses of the word.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Aug 29 2009, 7:35am

Post #33 of 88 (12980 views)
Shortcut
Well said! *applause* [In reply to] Can't Post

To be honest, the fact alone that he seems to be implying that PJ and GDT lied to us is weakening Jim Dorey's claims for me. These two have always been so open and honest to us as fans that I refuse to believe they would try to deceive us in any way now. It would do no good, after all, to alienate their fans, and be of absolutely no future use.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 29 2009, 8:07am

Post #34 of 88 (12953 views)
Shortcut
As I recall, he said he wanted to... [In reply to] Can't Post

for years after LotR, in several forums. The problem is, that it took years for the project to actually see daylight. Several months passed, for example, after the source made his/her "guarantee" before the studio agreed that preliminaries should proceed. So, the timing could have become impossible for Jackson to direct, given his other obligations; GdT could have suddenly become available and interested; Jackson could have changed his mind; many things could have happened not foreseen by the source (or Jackson himself, for that matter) in December 2007.

Yes, I agree that the source was unfortunately immoderate in his/her language, but I can easily imagine that it could have been the intention of everyone involved at one point, and impossible some months later. These things happen.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Aug 29 2009, 8:08am)

jimdorey
The Shire

Aug 29 2009, 3:13pm

Post #35 of 88 (12743 views)
Shortcut
PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

At the time, that was the information. Does it not occur to you that situations change? That PJ was initially going to direct and changed his mind?

Did you just skip over the fact that my sources were right that Pj was attached at all and that the lawsuit was settled? That the LOTR trilogy will in fact be converted to 3D?

Give me a break.

jimdorey
The Shire

Aug 29 2009, 3:17pm

Post #36 of 88 (12877 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know why GDT said that. Or why he didn't just say no - knowing what you guys are discussing on here. I mean, if he says no - thats it. No discussion is there? He knows his answer was sidestepping. No doubt about - it sounded political.

So why did he say it? My guess would be to save some boom for their own cannon when they announce it. Marketing acts strangely sometimes.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Aug 31 2009, 12:34am)

jimdorey
The Shire

Aug 29 2009, 3:26pm

Post #37 of 88 (13531 views)
Shortcut
Well reasoned... [In reply to] Can't Post

approach. I thank you for that. It is how I picture things to have developed.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 29 2009, 4:41pm

Post #38 of 88 (12782 views)
Shortcut
PERIOD! Full Stop! Well done, sir :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 29 2009, 4:48pm

Post #39 of 88 (12889 views)
Shortcut
lumpkin!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW!!!! I'm so happy to see you here!!!!! I still have a super little poscard on my wall at work of a lovely family and a handsome young princeling... right next to Scout and Ro/NZS's princlings!

*warmest hug* What a treat :D

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Patty
Immortal

Aug 29 2009, 6:40pm

Post #40 of 88 (12681 views)
Shortcut
Hi Lumpkin! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been wondering what you, Mr. Lumpkin, and baby (no longer baby--I'll say "young lumpkin") have been up to. Good to see you back.

Permanent address: Into the West

Guillermo
Rivendell

Aug 30 2009, 6:01am

Post #41 of 88 (20873 views)
Shortcut
Oh, well- [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, in all my interactions in the site I may have gotten myself in trouble because of my enthusiasm but not any sidestepping.

As a co-writer and director of this film (who works with the design teams, costume teams, creature teams, VFX teams every day of the week), let me be very clear one more time: we are not talking about 3D, we are NOT writing the screenplay for 3D right now- we are hiring my DoP Guillermo Navarro to shoot the film and we are not discussing 3D with him either or with WETA digital or WB or anyone else.

That should be a little less sidestepping, I hope.

If after AVATAR the market may change and demands are put upon us, etc that is in the future.

But if such things happen and we start discussing 3D down the line, I'll let it be know here at TORN because that's the proper way of doing things.

But make no mistake- I've been living in NZ for almost a year now and we have not been discussing 3D.

When we do, I'll make sure your source finds out.

Thank You

Guillermo

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 30 2009, 7:17am

Post #42 of 88 (12788 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is very clear, concise, and understandable.

Radagast_the_Brown
Rivendell

Aug 30 2009, 7:25am

Post #43 of 88 (12766 views)
Shortcut
Thankyou... [In reply to] Can't Post

so very much for clearing this up, it is as we all suspected. I for one certainly hope no "demands" are ever made. And I might be wrong, but isn't this the first word we've had that Navarro will indeed by the cinematographer on the film? Exciting stuff, some of his work on Pan's was simply breathtaking (especially during the golden throne room scene Heart).

All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you...

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 30 2009, 7:40am

Post #44 of 88 (12963 views)
Shortcut
So did the situation change this time too? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or will you be discliplining your sources? And what does your "personal guarantee" mean -- are your readers due some sort of refund now?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Silmarillion in the Reading Room, Aug. 9 - Mar 7. Please join the conversation!

This week: "Of the Beginning of Days"
and "Of Aulė and Yavanna".

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Aug 30 2009, 10:44am

Post #45 of 88 (12831 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

for clearing that up once and for all. That was how I had understood it from the beginning, and I am sorry some people are reading more into your words than that.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection

farmer maggot
Rivendell

Aug 30 2009, 10:59am

Post #46 of 88 (12923 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for giving us the most definitive reply possible on this! [In reply to] Can't Post

It has always seemed obvious to me that if the situation with 3D should develope explosively we would see (technology allowing) 3D versions of the whole pentology in theatres soon enough - but not necessarily at the first release of the Hobbit. Consistency with the trilogy has always been made a key factor by you and PJ for this production and I am sure that this is fully trusted.

Too many of those using this site and others seem to think that film making can involve absolute commitments too the process and the final results - even cast iron contracts cannot guarantee those absolutes - impossible in any creative project. You are steering a huge enterprise lasting 3 to 5 years into the future (with DVD and Blurays) and the future can never deliver absolute certainty, just true belief and intentions.

I for one hope it gives you great confidence that most Tornadoes on this most demanding site believe enough in your personal integrity to defend it without a second thought.

In practical terms, even if 3D should become a major priority, I would think that the widest audience would be found overall by also running 2D screenings - there would have to be 2D versions for DVD/Bluray surely? I know if no technology yet that could deliver any acceptable 3D on home systems? And it does have visual distortion issues for some.

I guess us die hard trilogy fans just want to be able to watch the same world in the same way for 24 continuous hours (with pee breaks) as Ian McKellen said in his U tube BFI video, the moment you release Hobbit number 2! A future I hope to see.

Guillermo
Rivendell

Aug 30 2009, 11:10am

Post #47 of 88 (15170 views)
Shortcut
I believe Jim- [In reply to] Can't Post

-is defending what he believes to be true. He is a knowledgeable, passionate film-lover and perhaps his source in this case is also someone that would love to see the HOBBIT films happen in 3D. Perhaps so-

Jim has been right in the past and he may be right in the future. He is dead-on about the imminent conversion of film into an expanding 3-D field - at least in most blockbusters and I know of, at least, 4 or 5 major filmmakers preparing 3D films right now. Some of them seriously artistic and ungimmicky!!

I've seen AVATAR and I was absolutely blow away by it!! I myself expect to explore 3D soon enough- it is the future, just not my immediate future.

I promise to you guys and Jim to let you know if anything changes in that or any regard,,,

And no- neither David Tennant nor Tom Cruise are Bilbo and we are not redesigning Gollum.

My best wishes to all-

GDT

CuChulainn
The Shire

Aug 30 2009, 11:54am

Post #48 of 88 (12854 views)
Shortcut
That clears that up... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I am pretty glad, 'ecstatic' in fact to hear you saying those 'rumored' actors are not Bilbo, would have liked to hear however that Cruise isn't involved at all. If he isn't involved at all, it would pretty much confirm my post on the same topic about Mr.Cruise though.

Anyway good to hear also we are sticking to the same Gollum model, i thought the interpretation of him in the LOTR film trilogy to be fairly spot on, with Tolkien's descriptions of the creature in the books. You would naturally imagine more strands of hair on him, but I have every faith now that in my own head that too is cleared up.

As for 3D, I can't say I would have been in full favour of it, at-least not yet. As here in Ireland (at-least close to me) we don't have any 3d enabled theaters yet, sure we had/have IMAX, but one IMAX theater has closed in Belfast, leaving only one IMAX theater in the whole of Ireland which is in Dublin.

It reminds me of Nintendo's logical stance in the Video Game market in 2005, with Sony and Microsoft jumping into bed so early with HD T.V enabled video game consoles, whereas Nintendo remained with SD output for the Wii video game console, the likes of Zelda and Mario played perfectly normal and was immensely enjoyable in SD and proved people didn't need HD (yet) to enjoy them. Not only that, with HD ready T.V's in Ireland (or maybe worldwide) people hadn't jumped as quick with high def format and in 2006- SD remained (and probably still does) in most peoples homes.

(This post was edited by CuChulainn on Aug 30 2009, 12:02pm)

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2009, 12:29pm

Post #49 of 88 (13105 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, sir! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope any and all questioners are happy now.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography ~ My LOTR fan fiction

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 30 2009, 12:50pm

Post #50 of 88 (12746 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Frankly, I don't get too invested in issues like 3D, how many dwarves, or who will play Bilbo. Dang, I've go so many decisions I have to make in my life I'm relieved when I can let someone else who seems pretty competent make some.

But I love how accessible and open you are. I'm sure I'll love The Hobbit. Or not. It's really not that important in my life's scheme of things. But I bet I'd like you a lot. And I can't wait to have a chance to peek (through dvd extras, interviews, etc) into the creative process you follow for this project.

Thanks. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.