Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The beginning of days 3 - the conclusion

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

Aug 28 2009, 11:57pm

Views: 516
Shortcut
The beginning of days 3 - the conclusion Can't Post

Well, the remainder of this Chapter seems to have more description than action, in fact some might say that it belongs more in the first two books. Maybe someone is guilty of bad editing. I think I'm talking to you, Chirs Tolkien! Smile So, I think I'll let you all read it and I'll just make some general points.

1) Whatever was cruel or violent or deadly in those days was laid to Melkor's charge. A bit harsh? Now I know that Melkor wasn't very nice so giving him justice may seem a little silly, but surely there where more evil creatures than him! Sauron, Balrogs, Ungoliant, other demons. etc!

2) Aule had the chief part in the making of Valinor and was good at shaping wood metals and tiler. Whatever Tiler is! Thought occurs that he might be good with Computers as well if he was about now!

3) The fairest of all gems were the Silmarils and they are lost. Well why don't you tell me what's about to happen Mr Tolkien? Crazy Though I admit I did have an idea reading through this that this might take place!Smile

4) Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from Manwe's halls. So, these creatures where older than any of the Elves? Interesting!

5) The three of the Valar that where more concerned with events outside Valinor where Ulmo, Orome and Yavanna. Explains why I got Orome and Ulmo a bit confused earlier on. Orome pursued to the death the monsters of Melkor. Of what shape where these monsters?

6) To the Atani, Eru gave strange gifts. Strange indeed. Especially if one reads the ending of the tale of Arwen and Aragorn all that time later, it wasn't always gratefully received. Then again, would one really want to live forever throughout all of time. Especially if one could swear a terrible oath and damn yourself for all of it? Not sure!

(This post was edited by Hamfast Gamgee on Aug 29 2009, 12:00am)

Subject User Time
The beginning of days 3 - the conclusion Hamfast Gamgee Send a private message to Hamfast Gamgee Aug 28 2009, 11:57pm
    Thanks, Hamfast. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Aug 29 2009, 12:46am
    Thoughts. Curious Send a private message to Curious Aug 29 2009, 1:25am
    arg!! lost my reply... batik Send a private message to batik Aug 29 2009, 3:38am
    well.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Aug 29 2009, 9:29am
    The Gift of death JTM Send a private message to JTM Aug 30 2009, 5:39pm
        The "Gift of Death" treads dangerously close Curious Send a private message to Curious Aug 30 2009, 8:01pm
            Heresy or even heterodoxy FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Aug 31 2009, 9:49am
    Answers sador Send a private message to sador Aug 31 2009, 9:48am
    The myth continues FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Aug 31 2009, 11:03am
        The Elves are long-term toast squire Send a private message to squire Aug 31 2009, 12:51pm
            Interesting! FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Aug 31 2009, 1:42pm
                "I've always sensed that the question is left open" Kimi Send a private message to Kimi Sep 2 2009, 1:39am
                    Thank you FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Sep 2 2009, 9:26pm
        Farmers Dreamdeer Send a private message to Dreamdeer Aug 31 2009, 11:04pm
            I can certainly believe FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Sep 1 2009, 9:35am
                Depends Dreamdeer Send a private message to Dreamdeer Sep 1 2009, 4:02pm
                    That's fair enough. FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Sep 1 2009, 4:47pm
                        I only meant appreciating a tool. // Dreamdeer Send a private message to Dreamdeer Sep 1 2009, 5:13pm
                            My mistake! FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Sep 1 2009, 8:34pm
                                No problem! // Dreamdeer Send a private message to Dreamdeer Sep 2 2009, 3:32am
    Lack of Eternal Reward GaladrielTX Send a private message to GaladrielTX Aug 31 2009, 6:00pm
        Outer Darkness Dreamdeer Send a private message to Dreamdeer Aug 31 2009, 11:08pm
    Cheep, cheep. GaladrielTX Send a private message to GaladrielTX Aug 31 2009, 6:02pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.