Please let those 3D 'Hobbit' rumors rest in peace
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Aug 28 2009, 9:50am

Post #1 of 88 (18726 views)
Shortcut
Please let those 3D 'Hobbit' rumors rest in peace Can't Post

The post on main makes it pretty clear that Guillermo del Toro hasn't been talking about doing "The Hobbit" movies in 3D. As the director he kinda knows stuff like that. It did move Calisuri to create a great Bilbo graphic though!

Someday we will see 'The Hobbit' in 3D, when the studios decide to go back to the barn and milk the cash cow, but that isn't what GDT is doing.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Buchanicus
Lorien

Aug 28 2009, 10:26am

Post #2 of 88 (16579 views)
Shortcut
Good. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to hear. I for one am not impressed with 3D and feel it is just a gimmick to get people to go to the theater. Plus I HATE wearing the glasses...and I just wanted The Hobbit films to match the tone and presentation of the LotR films as much as possible...so no 3D is a very, very good thing.

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

(This post was edited by Buchanicus on Aug 28 2009, 10:30am)

Mitrandir

Aug 28 2009, 10:59am

Post #3 of 88 (16398 views)
Shortcut
agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen films in 3d, and as i suspected on forehand, it's overrated. vision gets kind of limited with the glasses on, at least that's how it feels, they feel out of place. Like your missing something of the experience or whats going on on the screen. This is good news.

debo
Rohan

Aug 28 2009, 11:26am

Post #4 of 88 (16381 views)
Shortcut
LOL Love the graphic!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo; "What I chiefly need now is courage . . ."

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 28 2009, 11:39am

Post #5 of 88 (16497 views)
Shortcut
How do I say "YAY" in 3D? [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps saying it in 2D is best for this occassion! So... YAY!! Cool

"Crows and Gibbets! What is the House of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater sires."

Parker
The Shire

Aug 28 2009, 11:52am

Post #6 of 88 (16363 views)
Shortcut
Is it just me... [In reply to] Can't Post

...or does this not seem like a "Yes" or "No" answer. I think the baby is in the crib, but still has one eye open.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Aug 28 2009, 12:21pm

Post #7 of 88 (16473 views)
Shortcut
Good good! Consistency till death! [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR is in 2D, keep the Hobbit in 2D and spend the money you save in other, more important, things.
Not that I don't like 3D, but LOTR was in 2D.

Patty
Immortal

Aug 28 2009, 12:26pm

Post #8 of 88 (16470 views)
Shortcut
I love consistancy, too. And LotR was in 2D. But... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have loved to see The Hobbit in 3D given the newest 3D tech available. I did read somewhere that LotR (as well as other films that made over $100 million ) may someday be candidates for that new technology that can elicit a 3D movie from a 2D one. No, I can't provide the link for the source of that info, though.

Permanent address: Into the West

jimdorey
The Shire

Aug 28 2009, 1:01pm

Post #9 of 88 (16830 views)
Shortcut
Del Toro Said Exactly... Nothing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry - but he did not say yes or no here. He deftly sidestepped the question. Rest assured there have been many conversations in the past and the movie will be in 3D. GDT may select DP, etc, but it was PJ who selected GDT *and* is writing the adaptation. When you write a script for a 3D movie, the camera angles, movements, lighting - just about everything includes 3D requirements if it is shot in native 3D and not converted. I do not know how PJ is arriving at 3D for THE HOBBIT but I would be surprised if it is not native 3D.

If GDT was certain as to his answer, he would have told the one site in the world that truly deserves the truth - yet he did NOT say NO. That my friends, has a lot of volume. Mark my words - THE HOBBIT will be in 3D. My sources let me know first that PJ had settled his dispute with New Line and was attached yet again to the project. I also exposed that the LOTR trilogy would be converted to 3D. When it is a rumor I say it - like the thrid bridge movie - I have no collaboration on that, but it is a strong rumor.

Great site as always! Talk soon.

Mithrandír
Lorien

Aug 28 2009, 1:25pm

Post #10 of 88 (16304 views)
Shortcut
a possible interpret. [In reply to] Can't Post

is that it will be in both 2d and 3d. the technology means that you can show it in 2d and 3d...if i'm not mistaking. not been reading up on 3d:)

Social Science's biggest problem, is social science.

"The ring has awoken. It's heard its masters call"

Probably one of the best performances in film history.

Gwynhyffar
The Shire

Aug 28 2009, 1:41pm

Post #11 of 88 (16804 views)
Shortcut
Double-speak [In reply to] Can't Post

As much as I would like to think that GDT said it wouldn't be 3D, I can't. It does look a bit like a side-step. PJ stated months ago (of course I can't find the source now) that they were looking at 3D. That hardly sounds like no discussion had taken place about it.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2009, 1:58pm

Post #12 of 88 (15237 views)
Shortcut
Yeah he did say no [In reply to] Can't Post

"no discussions" means "no discussions". Anyone not looking for a conspiracy is going to read this as a "no". Why would GDT risk angering fans by playing with us back and forth on 3D? He's gone above and beyond in being friendly with us and sharing what he can, I don't see him as really gaining anything by messing with our heads on this.

"We're in the pipe... five by five." Corporal Ferro, drop ship pilot - Aliens

(This post was edited by 5 by 5 on Aug 28 2009, 2:02pm)

squire
Half-elven

Aug 28 2009, 2:19pm

Post #13 of 88 (16552 views)
Shortcut
How are 3D scripts different from 2D scripts? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's so interesting. Can you give us more details or a technical website where this is discussed? All the scripts I've ever read give little or no information about camera angles, lighting, or actor movements. They focus on dialogue, situation, and conflicts. Anything else is taking away power from the director to make the blocking, set-up, and shot choices later on in the production, using storyboards and mockup shots.

As others have said here, it's more likely that movies made today (including possibly The Hobbit) will be exhibited in both 2D and 3D formats, and that would seem to dictate leaving the shots up to the director, not locking them into the script. A script written the way you say, especially for 3D, might not be such a great basis for a 2D version!

One of the biggest criticisms of 3D movies is that they so often incorporate shots whose only purpose is to display the 3D format: things coming at you "through the screen". Even if this is effective as a thrill generator in 3D, it usually looks particularly stupid when seen in 2D. The general impression left over is that the filmmaker has confused his job with that of a ride designer at a theme park.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

jimdorey
The Shire

Aug 28 2009, 2:30pm

Post #14 of 88 (16325 views)
Shortcut
Clearing up misconceptions [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all - a well done 3D movie has little to no objects flying off the screen at you - 3D is used as just another tool and mainly for depth and immersion. Quality work like AVATAR, TINTIN and THE HOBBIT will be tastefully done.

Secondly, scripts by all means include guidelines for setting mood and environment - most know that. I don't know where you came up with locking up a director to what is in the script, but it is there as a guide and it is not a holy grail. BUT it is an indication of where the director should go. Dialogue is affected by what happens in the environment. AVATAR was written and shot for 3D, but rest assured it will look awesome in 2D as well.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2009, 2:33pm

Post #15 of 88 (15024 views)
Shortcut
Well said [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the biggest criticisms of 3D movies is that they so often incorporate shots whose only purpose is to display the 3D format: things coming at you "through the screen". Even if this is effective as a thrill generator in 3D, it usually looks particularly stupid when seen in 2D. The general impression left over is that the filmmaker has confused his job with that of a ride designer at a theme park.

Well said Squire and I totally agree - this has been a pet peeve of mine for a looooong time. I haven't seen one 3D movie where the film maker hasn't been guilty of this.

(This post was edited by 5 by 5 on Aug 28 2009, 2:36pm)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2009, 2:39pm

Post #16 of 88 (16309 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all - a well done 3D movie has little to no objects flying off the screen at you - 3D is used as just another tool and mainly for depth and immersion. Quality work like AVATAR, TINTIN and THE HOBBIT will be tastefully done.

Yeah except you can take The Hobbit off your list as I posted earlier, unless you can convince me somehow that GDT has some reason to mislead us and then tick us off later.

jimdorey
The Shire

Aug 28 2009, 2:53pm

Post #17 of 88 (16364 views)
Shortcut
He [In reply to] Can't Post

GDT has not mislead you - merely sidestepped you. Two entirely different things.

Oh and just watch AVATAR in December. You will be satisfied.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Aug 31 2009, 12:27am)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 28 2009, 3:08pm

Post #18 of 88 (14942 views)
Shortcut
How do you punish your anonymous sources when they're wrong? [In reply to] Can't Post

According to this post quoting you back in December 2007, you reported then about Peter Jackson that your "sources are 'guaranteeing' that he will direct" -- in fact, you said "they are staking their reputation on it".

Can we assume that you've dumped those sources, and that your information on The Hobbit being made in 3-D comes from more reliable people?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Silmarillion in the Reading Room, Aug. 9 - Mar 7. Please join the conversation!

This week: "Of the Beginning of Days"
and "Of Aulë and Yavanna".

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Mithrandír
Lorien

Aug 28 2009, 3:15pm

Post #19 of 88 (14726 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

a well done 3d-film doesn't send stuff at you at every opportunity. It breaks your concentration and it becomes a 3d-effect, not a part of the story telling. If orc-blood comes splattering every time an orc is killed the effects make you too aware that it's a 3d-film. The film and the story becomes second. That's my experience at least.

Social Science's biggest problem, is social science.

"The ring has awoken. It's heard its masters call"

Probably one of the best performances in film history.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 28 2009, 3:23pm

Post #20 of 88 (14819 views)
Shortcut
GdT is the co-screenwriter as well as the director [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sorry - but he did not say yes or no here. He deftly sidestepped the question. Rest assured there have been many conversations in the past and the movie will be in 3D. GDT may select DP, etc, but it was PJ who selected GDT *and* is writing the adaptation.

Jackson is *not* "writing the adaptation." He is one of four co-writers who are cowriting the adaptation. And, of course, del Toro is one of the other co-writers. Therefore, if what you say is true about writing a script in 3D is true, it would be all the more true that del Toro would be intimately involved in any discussions about having the films be in 3D. You are, in essense, accusing him of flat-out lying when he stated “I can safely say that, as of this moment, there are absolutely NO conversations about doing the HOBBIT films in 3D.” I for one find that quite offensive.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Garfeimao
Rohan

Aug 28 2009, 4:19pm

Post #21 of 88 (14740 views)
Shortcut
Amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't believe after all the open discussion GDT has had here on this site, and in other fan forums, that people actually think he is willfully lying or purposefully being misleading. From the very beginning when he was first announced and everyone thought that would mean a drastically different looking film from the trilogy, GDT has gone out of his way to state that The Hobbit will look very much a part of those films, including film format. That means both the aspect ratio as well as the 2D format those films were filmed in.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle earth

My page in the Traveling Journal

farmer maggot
Rivendell

Aug 28 2009, 4:22pm

Post #22 of 88 (14790 views)
Shortcut
Just a thought here because both views may be 'right' [In reply to] Can't Post

GDT did not say flatly 'no -not in 3D' as some posters have correctly pointed out. But if shooting is to start in 7 months time how could conversations not be taking place if it is being shot in 3D - GDT categorically said they are not. So we have a riddle.

If the technology exists for a 2D to 3D conversion (which it does) and if 3D is taking off would it not make marketing sense for a later re-release of the Trilogy to include showings in 3D - to give fresh experience to the huge mainstream audience and entice them to take a look? If so then converted 3D Hobbit films would be logical for a (then) consistent experience.

GDT may just be leaving the door ajar for 3D Hobbit versions at that point - with no current intention to release it only or originally in 3D.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2009, 4:50pm

Post #23 of 88 (14928 views)
Shortcut
Good! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great confirmation. I have to note he said "as of this moment"... however, one would think "as of this moment" he must already know how he's going to film, mustn't he?

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Tim
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2009, 7:12pm

Post #24 of 88 (16152 views)
Shortcut
Mislead or sidestep... [In reply to] Can't Post

... same thing. Anyone NOT looking for a conspiracy is going to read "no discussions" as a no. If these guys aren't preparing for 3D, then there's no 3D. And you still haven't offered a compelling reason for him to sidestep us on this matter. Or mislead us. If it's going to be in 3D, then why wouldn't he just say it's going to be in 3D? If they hadn't decided on that yet - then guess what - they'd be discussing it. It's been pointed out your sources have been wrong before about PJ directing. I saw plenty of these kind of rumors when I modded the Star Wars forums during the ramp up of the prequels - so no offense man but I take them with a grain of salt.

Buchanicus
Lorien

Aug 28 2009, 9:17pm

Post #25 of 88 (14973 views)
Shortcut
I'd just like to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

That granted I only saw 16 minutes or so of footage, but I did attend the Avatar day screening and was completely unsatisfied! In fact, all of my doubts and complaints about the format were once again reinforced (as I posted in the Avatar thread in OT board). I pretty much decided that come December I would be seeing it on a digital 2D screen, instead of paying extra to see a IMAX 3D version. It's not even a question of it not being worth it to me...I personally think that the trailer looked better on a 2D screen than the 16 minutes of 3D I saw.

Look, I'm not against the technology, I just don't think this material needs to be or should be presented in this format. I personally think that a 3D tag takes some of the prestige away from the film, it becomes about something else. Of course this is just my opinion though, I definitely don't want to make up anyone elses mind.

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.