Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell....and beyond!

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2009, 2:50am

Post #1 of 12 (169 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell....and beyond! Can't Post

Hello, fellow travelers! I hope your walks are going well. I did one short bike ride and lots of walking this week, but today...nuthin'! I plead the 7th -- the 7th chapter of FotR, that is. "In the House of Tom Bombadil":

The room looked westward over the mist-clouded valley, and the window was open. Water dripped down from the thatched eaves above. Before they had finished breakfast the clouds had joined into an unbroken roof, and a straight grey rain came softly and steadily down. Behind its deep curtain the Forest was completely veiled...The hobbits listened with delight; and Frodo was glad in his heart...he guessed now that they would not go further that day.

Oh well, we'll make it to Mt. Doom eventually. If it's sunny where you are, send it my way so my tomatoes will ripen, would you? Thanks!

Donít forget to update your mileage on the Shields page. Be sure to keep a paper record of your miles, as there is always the potential for the
Shields page to crash (again). And see you in Rivendell!!!!

Explanatory note: The Eowyn Challenge/ Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a LOTR-related fitness walk thingy that began in March 2003, and that has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. The idea is to keep track of your mileage as you walk, and soon you will find yourself traversing the 458 miles to Rivendell. The walk is open to all. Keeping a goal date in mind can be useful for some, others are happy taking the scenic route and getting to Rivendell eventually. The website for the Walk explains things far more coherently than I can; please check out the link below, especially the main page and the Walk page. Lots of useful links, including wonderful mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, can be found on the Tools page.

The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread can usually be found right here on Main, on Thursdays or Fridays.

Walk to Rivendell: http://www.eowynchallenge.net

Where's Frodo?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 28 2009, 2:20pm

Post #2 of 12 (113 views)
Shortcut
Hidee Ho, All! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's also raining here, Finding Frodo! Our crops need it, but my walks don't ;)

I've been getting some steppin' time in with one of my co-workers during our morning breaks, so that's a nice break; but my real exercise has been with a chainsaw and hauling dead tree branches all over the yard. Two of my older trees are slowly dropping their main branches or cracking and hovering threateningly over the law/driveway... so we had a little conversation with my power tool. *sigh*

I'm keeping as much as I can to build some furniture... but I have way too much going on to even consider doing that right now.

I hope everyone's having a great time with the winding down of the summer in my neck of the world. Fall is my fav season, and this cooler summer has been a joy!

Cheers all... and thanks lots, FF, for keeping us on the path!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2009, 6:33pm

Post #3 of 12 (110 views)
Shortcut
Still paddling down Anduin [In reply to] Can't Post

Getting closer to the Emyn Muil every day.

Missed a bit of pool time recently due to work and kids' events. I need to hit the water this weekend!

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2009, 3:31am

Post #4 of 12 (106 views)
Shortcut
Be careful, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's bad enough seeing my husband pruning trees with a hand tool, I'm glad he doesn't own a chain saw! I hope you can use your wood. We had to take down a lovely cherry tree when we put an addition on our house, and had hoped to use the wood to make a table or something, but it was poor quality and difficult to work with. Mr. FF was able to make a picture frame, and the rest became firewood. I miss that tree. Frown

Oh well, happy walking on your break!

Where's Frodo?

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2009, 3:36am

Post #5 of 12 (131 views)
Shortcut
Time [In reply to] Can't Post

Are the kids back in school yet? I was too busy to do much in the last days before school started, but now that the year is under way, it's a little easier. I hope things let up for you so you can get your swimming in. Have a good week!

Where's Frodo?

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Sep 4 2009, 2:41am

Post #6 of 12 (87 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell....and beyond! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello, fellow travelers! I hope your walks are going well. It has been beautiful, perfect weather here this week, so I have been walking as much as possible and I biked to work twice this week. Since I am hopelessly lost in my mileage, I am making an executive decision and declaring that it's March 24 and Sam and Frodo (and Gollum) and I are at the feet of Mt. Doom. From RotK "Mount Doom":

He had no clear idea at all. Frodo had not spoken much to him of his errand, and Sam only knew vaguely that the Ring had somehow to be put into the fire. 'The Cracks of Doom,' he muttered, the old name rising to his mind. 'Well, if Master knows how to find them, I don't.'

Now I should be able to cast the Ring into the fire by September 11, which will be satisfyingly grim, and then I'll walk the 100 bonus miles to the Field of Cormallen, where everything sad is going to come untrue.

Have a great week everyone!

Donít forget to update your mileage on the Shields page. Be sure to keep a paper record of your miles, as there is always the potential for the
Shields page to crash (again). And see you in Rivendell!!!!

Explanatory note: The Eowyn Challenge/ Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a LOTR-related fitness walk thingy that began in March 2003, and that has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. The idea is to keep track of your mileage as you walk, and soon you will find yourself traversing the 458 miles to Rivendell. The walk is open to all. Keeping a goal date in mind can be useful for some, others are happy taking the scenic route and getting to Rivendell eventually. The website for the Walk explains things far more coherently than I can; please check out the link below, especially the main page and the Walk page. Lots of useful links, including wonderful mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, can be found on the Tools page.

The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread can usually be found right here on Main, on Thursdays or Fridays.

Walk to Rivendell: http://www.eowynchallenge.net

Where's Frodo?

bearwen
Lorien

Sep 5 2009, 9:23pm

Post #7 of 12 (87 views)
Shortcut
Hello all! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi we are still walking when we can, but our world has been rocked by the sudden death of Bearagorn's father. That's why we've not been on. He was a wonderful man and the funeral service was a real tribute to the kindness and care he showed others. The church was filled, even the people from the shops, bank and services he used attended. Our daughter along with the other grandchildren talked about their memories and so did his children. It was very moving and it's very raw still. We shall be back on. Good luck with your walks etc. Love the Bears x

I choose a mortal life!

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Sep 6 2009, 4:27am

Post #8 of 12 (79 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry for your loss, bearwen and bearagorn [In reply to] Can't Post

What a terrible blow. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Where's Frodo?

bearwen
Lorien

Sep 6 2009, 8:38am

Post #9 of 12 (92 views)
Shortcut
Thank you x [In reply to] Can't Post

Today would have been their 51st Wedding Anniversary, this time last year they were celebrating, so we are glad they had that. Love to you all x

I choose a mortal life!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 8 2009, 6:57pm

Post #10 of 12 (90 views)
Shortcut
Hello Travellers! [In reply to] Can't Post

I spent the weekend helping my brother clean out his jam-packed polebarn and organizing it. It had been built to house an electro-light airplane, so it's essentially a small hanger. Engines, parts, dunebuggy, boat parts, heavy equipment/tools, all the boy-toy power equipment you could dream of... all pulled out the carried back in. *whew*

Then late on Sunday, I went on a hike in a county park where we investigated the stone floor remains of Edsel Ford's (of Ford cars) massive lodge high up on a wooded hill over looking the lake. It was built in their heyday, but was burned by an arsonist in 1999. The place is amazing!

Take care all... and have a great week!!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 8 2009, 7:03pm

Post #11 of 12 (102 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! Bearagorn, Bearwen... I'm so sorry. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so sorry... words seem small right now. I'm glad that he was so well-loved by so many. There is comfort in that... but the loss is so heartbreaking.

*warm hug* My thoughts and prayers go to you and your family.
peace

sample

bearwen
Lorien

Sep 8 2009, 8:36pm

Post #12 of 12 (83 views)
Shortcut
Thank you x [In reply to] Can't Post

It is much appreciated x

I choose a mortal life!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.