Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
And Bilbo is . . . Tom Cruise?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Aug 27 2009, 5:02am

Post #1 of 84 (2986 views)
Shortcut
And Bilbo is . . . Tom Cruise? Can't Post

It seems Tom Cruise has flown to Wellywood to speak with Peter Jackson. Read the story on TORn's home page and at The Sydney Morning Herald and then tell us how you feel.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 27 2009, 5:11am

Post #2 of 84 (1450 views)
Shortcut
Darkstone first suggested it in November 2006. [In reply to] Can't Post

In this post.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Silmarillion in the Reading Room, Aug. 9 - Mar 7. Please join the conversation!

This week: "Of the Beginning of Days"
and "Of Aulë and Yavanna".

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

batik
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2009, 5:15am

Post #3 of 84 (1402 views)
Shortcut
I don't know... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was kind of impressed with ol' Tom in that movie he was in with Jack Black....um...Tropic Thunder. Best role I've seen him in since...whenever. Wait a minute, stop the press: Tom and Jack in TT; Jack in King Kong directed by PJ (and acted with Andy)...oh boy. Wink

overlithe64
Rivendell

Aug 27 2009, 5:41am

Post #4 of 84 (1359 views)
Shortcut
Erhmmmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I just don't know...interesting development to say the least...
It seems odd to me to place someone so well known in the role...of course its is ALL speculative...Laugh

I am obsessed, but I am in excellent company.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 27 2009, 5:42am

Post #5 of 84 (1365 views)
Shortcut
You just.... [In reply to] Can't Post

want to start another internet rumor and watch the Real Fans panic. Admit it! Laugh

It'll be something to do with the financial side of things, or with one of the other irons PJ has in the fire.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

damccoy
The Shire

Aug 27 2009, 5:51am

Post #6 of 84 (1352 views)
Shortcut
Bard [In reply to] Can't Post

The only human hero in The Hobbit.

Yeah it is truly scary to think of Cruise in the Hobbit. Not a cruise fan. But a well-known actor might be good for a quick hero appearance like Bard. You wouldn't have to explain the character as much if the actor was a good fit for the role.

Just say'n.

Buchanicus
Lorien

Aug 27 2009, 5:55am

Post #7 of 84 (1321 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

My first guess would be that Tom Cruise (head of UA) might be trying to lure PJ into directing or producing another film project.

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

Curious
Half-elven

Aug 27 2009, 6:59am

Post #8 of 84 (1334 views)
Shortcut
Cruise might make a good Thorin. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pompous, proud, rich, greedy, pretentious, crazy, hogging the limelight -- it would be a self parody, of sorts. And as in Tropic Thunder, the make up could hide the Tom Cruise we know.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 27 2009, 7:07am

Post #9 of 84 (1283 views)
Shortcut
The Tookish part of me wants to see this happen... 'kay I'm kidding! *shudder* // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Crows and Gibbets! What is the House of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater sires."

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 27 2009, 7:24am

Post #10 of 84 (1255 views)
Shortcut
Nah. [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ has his fingers in many pies, and Cruise is moving more and more into production. They're talking business, not casting, IMO.

The Rohirrim, by Peter Xavier Price

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 27 2009, 9:05am

Post #11 of 84 (1249 views)
Shortcut
Mission Impossible! Please ...NO! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't believe he's being considered for Bilbo. One of Peter's greatest decisions is to not hire a "well-known" celebrity like Cruise for any characters in The Hobbit... let alone as the lead. It would destroy the film(s) for me.

I think Cruise is going as a representative of United Artist on collaborations for existing or upcoming films... but NOT The Hobbit. As far as I'm concerned... Tom can Cruise right by that whole project.

*shudder* I need some ice cream.

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Limiel

Aug 27 2009, 9:22am

Post #12 of 84 (1310 views)
Shortcut
Tom Cruise as Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!!

Is this a suitable subject for a poll on the main page? With the following choices:

No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!!

Oh, dear Lord, no!

Are you having a laugh?

You what?!

Berenesse

Aug 27 2009, 9:24am

Post #13 of 84 (1266 views)
Shortcut
Tom Cruise as Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

No. Just...no. If that nutcase is in the film at all, this is one person who's just gonna skip seeing it.

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 27 2009, 9:48am

Post #14 of 84 (1236 views)
Shortcut
No, PJ! Move away from the light! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never "yelled" on a forum before, but in this case, I believe I must make an exception:

DO NOT LET TOM CRUISE ANYWHERE NEAR THE HOBBIT!!!

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Lavir

Aug 27 2009, 9:51am

Post #15 of 84 (1229 views)
Shortcut
If true I think I'll give it a miss. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
No. Just...no. If that nutcase is in the film at all, this is one person who's just gonna skip seeing it.

So I'll second the above sentiment.

olipowell
Bree

Aug 27 2009, 10:11am

Post #16 of 84 (1210 views)
Shortcut
Wouldn't happen! [In reply to] Can't Post

This would NEVER happen. Fear not. Def discussing something else...I think Dam Busters most likely...

plus...although PJ is heavily involved in the hobbit it would be GDT over PJ having meetings with potential actors I would have thought...have faith people. GDT & PJ are talented, visionary guys. In them I trust.

: D

olipowell
Bree

Aug 27 2009, 11:11am

Post #17 of 84 (1245 views)
Shortcut
Aha! - Tom is producing a GDT Script [In reply to] Can't Post

I have just discovered that Tom Cruise is producing a script called 'Champions' that is currently in development and scheduled to shoot in 2010! The script was written by Mr Del Toro

I would imagine this may, in fact, be the reason behind his trip to NZ!

: D

Twit
Lorien

Aug 27 2009, 11:20am

Post #18 of 84 (1221 views)
Shortcut
I just [In reply to] Can't Post

“Came nigh to a-spoilin’ me pantaloons”

( I have Squire to thank for introducing me to that gem)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 27 2009, 11:21am

Post #19 of 84 (1334 views)
Shortcut
As Bulbo, he could jump up on his sofa and tell Gandalph and the Dwarfs to get the heck outta his house... [In reply to] Can't Post

... seeing the hysterical madhawbit throw this shenanigan, Thorain would conclude there and then that Gandalph could have his burglar, thank you very much, and pack up his map, key, musical instruments, and tassled cap, and walk out in a huff. Not without cursing the hair off Bulbo's furry feet, and wishing Gandalph his beard wither down to a straggle.

Only the younger Dwarfs (meaning Filly and Killy) would be sad at the sudden farewell - they did indeed look forward to having the amusing plaything on the first journey they were being dragged along on.

Ballin too was let down though he didn't show it - for he had grown rather fond of the madhawbbit and his curious ways, and had gained a new-found respect for the hawbbitfolk (after years of having though them rather quiet and dull).

That was how Gandalph did not come to send a hawbbit on the Dwarfs' adventure. Which turned out well for everyone involved. Except the Rivendale Elfs, who missed the chance of seeing one of the Shore's most famousest habbits... and in related Elfin news, Galleon of Murkwood kept his respect (and his position)... Unimpressed

"Crows and Gibbets! What is the House of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater sires."

(This post was edited by Earl on Aug 27 2009, 11:25am)

xy
Rohan

Aug 27 2009, 11:58am

Post #20 of 84 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Hahahaha! [In reply to] Can't Post

....uh.....let's get serious for a moment ....hahahahahaha.

Two words: NO. WAY.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Aug 27 2009, 12:03pm

Post #21 of 84 (1179 views)
Shortcut
Do you want to give me [In reply to] Can't Post

a heart attack?? NO WAY! That would be the best method to keep me far away from any theater!

Well, I have to firmly believe it's only some business talk that has nothing whatsoever to do with Hobbit casting!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

TORn Link Collection

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Aug 27 2009, 12:26pm

Post #22 of 84 (1178 views)
Shortcut
Extremely unlikely [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It seems Tom Cruise has flown to Wellywood to speak with Peter Jackson. Read the story on TORn's home page and at The Sydney Morning Herald and then tell us how you feel.

Cruise is actually in the area because Katie Holmes is currently filming a a remake of the 1970s ABC telemovie Don't Be Afraid of the Dark in Melbourne.

She's been in Australia for months.

It's logical that Cruise would be over this way a lot.

I really think it stretches logic to the point of conspiracy to conclude that a social visit by Cruise to check out Wellywood (*and conceded as a social visit by Wingnut reps*) could be about checking out a Hobbit role -- let alone the role of Bilbo.

Why?

Cruise doesn't fit.

He's too old to be cast as Bilbo. That's going to be the young heart-throb role.

He's not rough enough to play Bard or Beorn.

Elrond and Gandalf are taken.

Cruise as a dwarf?! I /know/ he's short, but that's just taking the piss.

Jackson's casting pattern for LoTR was to cast relative unknowns or actor's actors, not A-listers.

You could also say Cruise is too controversial, but frankly I think it comes down to age -- it would be as mad as trying to cast Helen Mirren as Lolita these days.

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Aug 27 2009, 12:27pm

Post #23 of 84 (1212 views)
Shortcut
Ha. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know he's short, but this is just taking the piss.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Aug 27 2009, 12:37pm

Post #24 of 84 (1210 views)
Shortcut
According to the NZ Domminion Post [In reply to] Can't Post

"Hollywood superstar Tom Cruise made a whirlwind social visit to Wellington yesterday but flew out today.

Peter Jackson's spokesman Matthew Dravitzki confirmed that Cruise had visited the director in Wellington yesterday, but said the Hollywood superstar flew out of New Zealand this morning en route to Melbourne where his wife Katie Holmes is filming horror movie Don't Be Afraid of the Dark.

"He stopped to say 'hi'. It was just a social visit," Mr Dravitzski said.

It was not to discuss any film projects.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark is produced by Mexican film-maker Guillermo del Toro, who is also directing The Hobbit in Wellington."

Kangi Ska

carrioncrow
Lorien

Aug 27 2009, 12:39pm

Post #25 of 84 (1177 views)
Shortcut
Not Hobbit related [In reply to] Can't Post

at least i hope not.

But for the record, it would be wrong in every way.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.