Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Rado City NYC Moot 2009 - Ringers Take Manhattan! --> Official Hotel Link inside the thread!
First page Previous page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23 Next page Last page  View All

Tamara
Rivendell

Aug 1 2009, 1:37pm

Post #351 of 565 (4073 views)
Shortcut
Sat hotel sold out too [In reply to] Can't Post

I went back in to see if I could book Sat/Sun and Saturday is sold out too. Hoping they start a wait list or open more rooms....So far, the search for other hotels has been MUCH higher rates.
---Tamara

Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'm headed for Minas Tirith (New Zealand) in 2011!

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 1 2009, 2:25pm

Post #352 of 565 (4084 views)
Shortcut
wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

Rosie-with-the-ribbons mentioned a less expensive alternative to hotels in this post:
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=179041#179041

Maybe checking that out would be useful.

Early in this adventure, someone had recommended a hotel to me. I just checked that (I had it bookmarked) and they say 'no room at the inn' as well.

LOTR soundtrack website : TTT Lyrics Update May 09
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Aug 1 2009, 2:27pm)

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 1 2009, 10:08pm

Post #353 of 565 (4077 views)
Shortcut
The site is still showing Saturday as open [In reply to] Can't Post

At least it was when I checked just now.

I'll give the person who arranged the Radio City rate a call first thing Monday a.m. and see if they can sweet-talk the hotel into offering more rooms at the Radio City rates. (If not, you might also try sites like Travelocity, Priceline, Bizrate, etc. Sort the options they come up with by price).

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Radhruin
Rohan

Aug 2 2009, 4:01am

Post #354 of 565 (4059 views)
Shortcut
I hope that you are successful [In reply to] Can't Post

in getting them to open more rooms. I don't seem to know if I'm coming or going this summer, and waited too long to commit. Disappointed to see that rooms weren't available today. He who hesitates is lost? ;) My fault entirely. I'm watching this thread now, so I should see any updates.

"Too many times we've been postally pipped
We've loaded the saddles, the mickeys are slipped
We're swapping the turf for the sand and the surf and the sin
'Cause the fix, the fix is in..."

~Elbow

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 2 2009, 9:38am

Post #355 of 565 (4118 views)
Shortcut
Other hotel [In reply to] Can't Post

I have made reservations at The Pod Hotel (the one Magpie mentions in her reply). It is on 51st street, which is no more than 10 to 15 minutes walk from The Radio City Music Hall.
For me it was cheaper, during the weekend when the special concert rate is, The Pod is just a little bit cheaper, but after that the prices are much higher and since I'm staying from Thursday till Wednesday, that was a lot of money.
The Pod is a nice hotel, but rooms are really small and very simple, most rooms also have shared bathrooms. But everything is very clean.
If you want to book with the Pod, search at those hotelreservation sites. At the site of the Pod they use the full price, those other sites usually have discounts, which can make up to a lot of discounts at some moments.

See you in New York Cool.

Tamara
Rivendell

Aug 2 2009, 4:28pm

Post #356 of 565 (4080 views)
Shortcut
Found a space for Fri/Sat! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thankfully, some dear ringers offered me a space in the host hotel for Friday/Saturday! That is such a relief. Does anyone have a timetable for the moot activities around the concert? The thread's so big, I'm losing track of information I KNOW I saw posted...somewhere. Can someone reports or send the link? I'd like to get my flight booked and make plans with some friends in Brooklyn to visit while I'm so close by.
---Tamara

Being a Steward of Harvard is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'm headed for Minas Tirith (New Zealand) in 2011!

ringers rock!
Rivendell

Aug 2 2009, 5:55pm

Post #357 of 565 (4079 views)
Shortcut
*prepares wads* [In reply to] Can't Post

What a feat! Thanks SOOO much for doing this! Too cool! I didn't even really look at the map when I picked my seat. Little did I know I had an aisle seat AND the perfect vantage point for shall we say, 'straw sports'?

fathom
The Shire

Aug 3 2009, 9:44pm

Post #358 of 565 (4053 views)
Shortcut
FOTR AFTER PARTY CELTIC ROCK [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Tolkien Community,

John from the Celtic rock band Fathom here. We are trying to gauge interest in an "after party" somewhere near Radio City. I have copied the email below that I have sent to various folks. If you have any suggestions or ideas- please feel free to contact me. Fathom is also available for any parties already planned - we do not necessarily need to host this, but would love to contribute to the weekend in a capacity as described below. Many thanks for your various works in keeping the Tolkien Community alive!

Elen sila lumenn omentilmo...
--------

To help celebrate the FOTR weekend and LOTR Concert at Radio City, The Celtic Rock band "Fathom" is on a quest for a venue near Radio City Music Hall in NYC that will host an after party gathering for Lord of the Rings & Lord of the Rings Online fans and enthusiasts. Fathom would like to perform a live show for fellow LOTR & LOTRO fans in their unique Celtic rock style. Fathom's sound features enough mandolin, fiddle and ale-raising anthems to make you think you stumbled into the Green Dragon in Bywater.

"We would love to meet fellow fans of the books, movies, music and games that are based on LOTR lore," says lead singer/songwriter John Di Bartolo, "We want this to be a Prancing Pony-party where fans can connect and put a face to those they may have met online or just be surrounded by fantasy folk of like-mind. We have songs to sing and tales to tale! Now we just need the perfect place to host this unexpected party. We want to see fans from across the country, across the globe to hear the Lord of the Rings concert at Radio City and then share a night of unique Celtic music, lore and celebration with us in New York! We really want to see this happen!"

Members of Fathom are Lord of the Rings enthusiasts and also deeply involved in the gaming world of Lord of the Rings Online by Turbine.

Any info or suggestions regarding a suitable venue for such an event can be forwarded to fathom@fathomband.com. The band is open to all ideas and suggestions.

Related sites:
http://www.theradiocitylotrconcert.com

YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/fathomband

Myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/celticrock
Twitter:
http://twitter.com/Fathomband

http://www.fathom.tv

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 4 2009, 4:39am

Post #359 of 565 (4082 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, fathom! [In reply to] Can't Post

So glad you found us!

I just sent you a PM with more information about the weekend's activities as well as a few questions. Lets talk!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 4 2009, 9:40pm

Post #360 of 565 (4056 views)
Shortcut
URGENT ----> More Radio City Hotel Rooms are available at the special concert rate! [In reply to] Can't Post

Posting this here too for those of you watching this thread. Smile

Here's the link to more info: More rooms available

TORn Calendar

Aerin
Grey Havens

Aug 20 2009, 5:58am

Post #361 of 565 (3896 views)
Shortcut
I need to sell my ticket. [In reply to] Can't Post

Saturday, orchestra section 4, row SS, seat 411. My circumstances have changed, and I can't justify the airfare, hotel, etc. Anyone need a single seat? I'll sell for slightly under face value.

Hobbit Family Histories

Aerin
Grey Havens

Aug 20 2009, 2:33pm

Post #362 of 565 (3892 views)
Shortcut
Should have said, send me a PM if you know of anyone interested. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbit Family Histories

Tamara
Rivendell

Aug 21 2009, 1:11pm

Post #363 of 565 (3913 views)
Shortcut
Can we add a trip to see the manuscripts? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never seen the manuscripts that TORn just mentioned on the home page, “The Beginnings of a Masterpiece: Original Manuscripts from The Fellowship of the Ring,” will be held at Fordham’s Gerald M. Quinn Library at Lincoln Center, and was wondering if any other TORnsibs would like to go as a group the weekend of the concert? Sounds like we could go in groups of 10, but would need to sign up? Anyone have more information on how we could arrange this?
---Tamara

_V_
Lorien

Aug 21 2009, 1:49pm

Post #364 of 565 (3898 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien exihibit [In reply to] Can't Post

as a graduate student I have full access to the Tolkien manuscript exhibit also happening in NYC, not only October 9-11 but through November; who else is going to that?

[url"http://www.youtube.com/user/ReVolutionOfEva"]ReVolution of Evangelion

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Aug 24 2009, 3:47pm

Post #365 of 565 (3900 views)
Shortcut
Updated list of attendees: 73 people (about 83 with Barlimans chatters)! [In reply to] Can't Post

As always, please reply or PM me if you see any errors or omissions.

a.s. (moots only, not concert)
Aerin (Orch4, SS 411) (can't make it)
Ainu Laire (1st Mezz, Row E, 307)
AlatarielNoldo +5 (2nd Mezz, Row A, seats 304-305, others in row D behind that)
Altaira +1
Aragorn the Elfstone
CAHobbit (2nd Mezzanine, row D, seat 507)
Canadanthony (3rd mezzanine, section 300, row A or B)
Corey Olsen (www.tolkienprofessor.com)
Deej (3rd Mezzanine, Row C, Seat 411)
dernwyn +1 (1st mezzanine, row H, 312&313)
Donry?
Drogo Drogo (3rd mezzanine, section 300, row A or B)
elentari3018 ("probably +2")
Elizabeth (3rd mezzanine, section 300, row A or B)
Entmaiden +1 (1st mezzanine, Row D, seats 505-506)
Farawyn (3rd mezzanine, section 300, row A or B)
Fool of a Took +1 (Orch 3, Row H, Seats 305 and 304)
frodomyhero ("orchestra in the center")
Garfeimao (1st mezz, row C seat 513)
gkgyver (FRIDAY night)
Glaurung63 +1
grammaboodawg (1st Mez, Row G Seat 303)
Greendragon (1st mezzanine, row F 306)
GreenEarthOctoberSky (3rd mezzanine, section 300, row A or B)
Hobbitlove (Orch 5 S508)
Jazmine +1 (moots only, not concert)
Jim Ware +1 (FRI - ORCH 2 PP 204-203 AND Sat - seats TBA)
L. Ron Halfelven (1st mezzanine, row F 307)
Laerasëa (ORCH3 FF 301) (can't make it)
Laitholiel_the_SeaElf +1?
Lith (First mezzanine, Row A, Seat 610)
Lorien-lover (with other TORnsibs on this list and "others")
Love horses (Orch 5 S509)
Luthien Rising (can't make it)
Magpie +1 (ORCH5 P 501 - 502)
MrCere
Nerdanel
ordinaryhobbit (Orch 5 S510)
overlithe64 (First mezzanine, Row A, Seat 611)
Peregrin Took
Radhruin (ORCH S 507)
ringers rock! (301, B, 2NDMZ3)
Rosie-with-the-ribbons (ORCH5, row Q, seat 506)
Scout (3rd mezzanine, section 300, row A or B)
Silneldor +2 (ORCH5, row GG, seats 505-507)
Smeagirl/Girllum +1 (Orch5 Row FF seats 511-512)
Sunflower
Tamara (1st mezz(6), Row C, 604)
Taylor Thomas (from Doug's blog)
thorongil19 +1
_V_ (can't make it)
Weathertop (FRIDAY night)
WhiteAslan (3rd mezzanine, section 300, row A or B)
Wynnie +1 (ORCH3, Row TT, Seats 311-312)
Yncanes (3rd mezzanine, section 300, row A or B)

And approx. 10 Barlimans regulars for a total of 83!

"I deemed it the worst part of all my journey, the road back, watching him day and night, making him walk before me with a halter on his neck, gagged, until he was tamed by lack of drink and food, driving him ever towards Mirkwood."

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2009, 4:14pm

Post #366 of 565 (3900 views)
Shortcut
one more - ElanorTX - [In reply to] Can't Post

I have flight and room at Park Central but no ticket yet; plan on Saturday night concert

Originally I responded to Serafina's post but haven't been able to contact her for a week, so possibly may need roommate

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

(This post was edited by ElanorTX on Aug 24 2009, 4:23pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 24 2009, 5:04pm

Post #367 of 565 (3833 views)
Shortcut
Re: Doug's blog followers [In reply to] Can't Post

You will see one name on that list from Doug Adams' blog. That's because that one person is going to an event that needs a head count (event is in planning - more info to come). But there is a 'formal' group from Doug's blog planning to meet just like people from TORn are planning to meet. It may happen that we have opportunities to merge our (TORn and DA blog) meetings.

They are passionate about Tolkien, the movies, and - as you can imagine - the music. We are all great fans of Doug and can't wait to get our hands on (we hope) his newly published book. I don't know how much the two groups will have the opportunity to meet. There's so much to do and so little time. But if you see one of us with our special DA name tags, be sure to smile and say hi. See if you can figure out which one made the most exquisite Frodo doll (and I mean exquisite) and has a picture of her, the doll and the living doll.. er, I mean.. Elijah Wood. ;^)

A few of these names are already on TORn's list and some are members of TORn's message boards.

Saturday unless noted otherwise

1. Doug Adams (Friday and Saturday)
  2. Doug Adams +1 (Friday and Saturday)
  3. FrodoDoreen (Friday and Saturday)
  4. FrodoDoreen's +1 Glenn (Doreen's husband)
  5. FrodoDoreen's +2 Lisa (Doreen's daughter)
  6. FrodoDoreen's +3 Jason (Lisa's fiance)
  7. FrodoDoreen's +4 Jackie (friend)
  8. gkgyver (Friday night)
  9. Magpie/Marilynn
  10. Magpie's +1: Ray W
  11. Timdalf/Tim F (Friday and Saturday)
  12. Timdalf's +1 Dennis R
  13. Timdalf's +2 Kathy C
  14. Timdalf's +3 Andi DiP
  15. Timdalf's +4 Mary McC
  16. Timdalf's +5 Carolyn N
  17. Timdalf's + 6 Charlene B (Lady Boromir)
  18. Valarwen/Valerie S
  19. John S
  20. Taylor
  21. Taylor +1
  22. Glenn (Friday and Saturday)

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2009, 5:08pm

Post #368 of 565 (3812 views)
Shortcut
Nametags [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry if this has been asked somewhere else in this thread, but are there any plans for nametags for the torn folks?

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2009, 5:15pm

Post #369 of 565 (3851 views)
Shortcut
how does one get a copy of DA's book? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to take a signed copy to Laerasea as consolation for missing the weekend. For that matter, I don't need consolation but would like one tooLaugh.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 24 2009, 5:29pm

Post #370 of 565 (3778 views)
Shortcut
Best case scenario [In reply to] Can't Post

Best case scenario: The book will be released with a book signing on Friday Oct 9. (I assume during the day in some bookstore.)

I say best case scenario for two reasons.

One: Apparently Doug is running into some legal issues that has us all slightly worried. By 'us', I mean Doug has the details and is worried about the details and the rest of 'us' know he's worried (and stressed) and are waiting for news while holding good thoughts (which he has asked for btw).
posted yesterday: Tomorrow is a big lawyer powwow, if anyone is in a finger-crossing mood, by the way. Hoping my stomach-knots are untied by Monday evening...
Although I have no info on the details, my understanding is these legal issues have the capacity for delaying (and let's not consider preventing) publication of the book. The meetings start today so we will know more before the end of the week, I hope. To follow this issue, his blog is here: http://themusicofthelordoftheringsfilms.blogspot.com/ and his twitter feed is here: http://twitter.com/DougAdamsLOTR

Two: Even if the book is a complete go, the Friday book signing - although listed as such here on the TORn schedule - has not been confirmed by Doug. He is, as he puts it, at the mercy of his handlers and doesn't have a confirmed schedule for the weekend yet.

If the signing is on Friday, and you can't make it, I can pick up a copy for her (which I was asked to do but will acquiesce to your doing it if you want to do that specially).

Assuming the book is published, even if people can't make the Friday book signing, I'm thinking there will be other opportunities to buy it and/or get it signed. Doug (barring demands from handlers) has always been very accessible and accommodating to fellow Tolkien / soundtrack fans.

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 24 2009, 7:03pm

Post #371 of 565 (3908 views)
Shortcut
Tamara has a shout out for a roommate in the hotel thread : link inside [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=210882#210882

LOTR soundtrack website
Torn Image Posting Guide
magpie avatar gallery

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 24 2009, 9:59pm

Post #372 of 565 (3821 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

And that's all I'm telling you Evil

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

`Are these magic cloaks? ' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.

`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2009, 10:14pm

Post #373 of 565 (3773 views)
Shortcut
T-shirts, caps, rings, etc.? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2009, 6:04pm

Post #374 of 565 (3775 views)
Shortcut
Yay! I'm all set... [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally made my airline and hotel reservations! I'll be doing the Friday night show, fyi. I guess most of you are doing Sat. - but I'm sure I'll see most of you at other times during the weekend. Smile

I can't believe I'm actually doing this! It's so exciting! Cool

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 26 2009, 9:58pm

Post #375 of 565 (3808 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

Look forward to meeting you at some point during the weekend! TORNadoes are a sociable bunch, so I'm sure there will be opportunities to mix and mingle.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

`Are these magic cloaks? ' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.

`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

First page Previous page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.