The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
SCOD ~ 14 July, 2009~ Argonath

.Ithilwen.
Rivendell

Aug 14 2009, 4:44pm

Post #1 of 16 (6077 views)
Shortcut
SCOD ~ 14 July, 2009~ Argonath Can't Post

Last day! Thanks for all the responses this week!

Choosing images was tricky today...There are actually 2 scenes in this section. and I'm bad a choosing so I'm using 3 pictures.

Here, we have Boromir and Aragorn having a rather heated discussion.

And here is Argonath from afar. The boats look so tiny next to the statues...

The third image is again, Boromir. But look how quickly he goes from anger to awe...

1.) Book-firsters? When you saw Argonath, did you think it was an accurate representation? And movie-firsters if/when you read this section of the book did the scene from the movie fit?
2.) Now, Sean Bean. Was he you perfect Boromir?
3.) And my favorite thing to talk about: Costumes. In the 2 Boromir images, you get a pretty good look and his collar area. His sleeves appear to be a finer fabric, his vest leather w/ embroidery and he has a beautiful collar. Is this appropriate for a man of Gondor and a son of the Steward?
4.) As always thoughts and comments are always welcome!

Tah!
.Ithilwen.

Live...Love...ROCK!
\m/

9500 words (and growing!) of pure fandom:
http://www.lotrfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=12544

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Aug 14 2009, 5:08pm

Post #2 of 16 (5649 views)
Shortcut
The Argonath is a sight to behold ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's one of those incredible, awe-strucking, mystical landmarks that, no matter what you're feeling at the time, when you see these statues, it's just to amazing to feel mad, sad, or even glad at the time. You're just amazed by the structure, the scale, and what it stands for. To me, it is almost like man's greatest accomplishment in Middle-Earth. I know, there's Minas Tirith, but this is completely different. It's in a place of quiet nature, so it makes it look even more magnificent. The detail, and how long it must have taken to build are those little things that you have to take into mind when examining something such as this.

But, as we all know, in real life, they aren't that big. Tongue

Personally I think Sean Bean is an excellent Boromir. In one way, he's able to express the brave, noble side of the character, while at the same time portray the dark and corrupted part. What stands out is his final confrontation with Frodo. There we have a mix of everything, his hate, ambition, sensitivity, and compassion for good. Couldn't have found a better actor for Boromir.

Great screencaps Ithilwen! Smile

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 14 2009, 8:55pm

Post #3 of 16 (5637 views)
Shortcut
What is Boromir thinking as he sees the Argonath... [In reply to] Can't Post

Boromir has been losing hope, after fighting for so long, for his whole life, to keep the greatness and honor of Gondor alive. Now here he suddenly is presented this awesome sight, evidence of the dignity and grandeur of the ancient days. It's as if for a moment the shadow of the Ring passes and he is able to be gladdened, reassured ... he is reminded of why they are fighting and why it's all worth it. Sadly though, the pull of the Ring is soon to return, and the conviction and emotion of this moment will fade and be lost to him.

At least, Boromir was able to behold this sight, before he died.

Nice screencaps, .Ithilwen.... thanks!

Artanis
Rohan

Aug 14 2009, 9:17pm

Post #4 of 16 (5633 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I love the Argonath... [In reply to] Can't Post

1.) Book-firsters? When you saw Argonath, did you think it was an accurate representation? And movie-firsters if/when you read this section of the book did the scene from the movie fit?

I have to admit I haven't read LOTR that many times, so I can't remember the description...but.........I LOVE this scene in the film Smile

Sean Bean ...he is Boromir! If he found Boromir a hard character to act, he doesn't show it at all. The range of emotions he has to portray are staggering, but he does it all with ease it seems. Excellent.

3.) And my favorite thing to talk about: Costumes. In the 2 Boromir images, you get a pretty good look and his collar area. His sleeves appear to be a finer fabric, his vest leather w/ embroidery and he has a beautiful collar. Is this appropriate for a man of Gondor and a son of the Steward?

I have to say evertime I see Arwen's Daughter clothing post, I always think afterwards 'Oh, that was the best costume' and then she posts another one and then that is the best one! Honestly, I don't think I will ever get over how much detail went into the clothing.

I'm so glad you chose to put the Argonath picture up Cool

Artanis

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 14 2009, 11:11pm

Post #5 of 16 (5649 views)
Shortcut
I never had a clear idea of what these guys looked like... [In reply to] Can't Post

...so the Jackson version works fine for me. But I know others have taken issue with the arms being that outstretched, both in terms of how Tolkien described them and the realism of it; apparently, it's structurally not all that feasible to make an arm like that, or at least to have it last 3,000 years or so...

I liked that they really didn't explain these statues too much in the films -- just showed them to us, and showed the impact of seeing them on Aragorn. Knowing less is more effective here -- the visual effect is powerful enough on its own, particularly for me, those shots of the boats going past the feet of these guys.

On Boromir, I pretty much like every Sean Bean scene, these two included!

Thanks for the nice shots this week -- very enjoyable to discuss!

Weaver

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Aug 15 2009, 2:16am

Post #6 of 16 (5684 views)
Shortcut
Argonath! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a book-firster and I knew when I saw the Argonath that they were not exactly like Tolkien's description, but they had such a visual impact, I didn't care.

Yes, he made a good Boromir even though he didn't have dark hair as described in the book!

I think it is perfect for the oldest son and heir of the ruler of Gondor.

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

batik
Tol Eressea

Aug 16 2009, 12:33am

Post #7 of 16 (5607 views)
Shortcut
directly ahead we will see... [In reply to] Can't Post

Now, Sean Bean. Was he you perfect Boromir?
Oh my, yes! I didn't care a whole lot for Boromir the first couple of times I saw "Fellowship..." (until the death scene) but Sean's performance allowed me to pick up on the not so obvious strengths/flaws of this character during subsequent viewings.

And my favorite thing to talk about: Costumes. In the 2 Boromir images, you get a pretty good look and his collar area. His sleeves appear to be a finer fabric, his vest leather w/ embroidery and he has a beautiful collar. Is this appropriate for a man of Gondor and a son of the Steward?

Yes, again. Probably *best dressed* male throughout the trilogy.

As always thoughts and comments are always welcome!
Boromir looks very boyish when he sees the Argonath, which btw was/is very impressive to look at but as others have commented--probably not structurally feasible. But cool nonetheless!

LordotRings93
Rohan

Aug 16 2009, 3:32am

Post #8 of 16 (5599 views)
Shortcut
Cool SCOD [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I saw the movies first, so when I read the part of the book where the Fellowship sees the Argonath, I thought Jackson did an excellent job portraying this magical part from the book.

2.)
Now, Sean Bean. Was he you perfect Boromir?

I think he was a perfect Boromir. He really captured that "feeling" you get from Boromir in the books.

Indeed it is appropriate for his status in Gondor.

I love how Boromir was angry, scowling at Aragorn from his boat in one frame, and then in the next, in an awe stage, looking up at the Argonath. Shows that no matter how furious you are, the Argonath will clear up any emotions.

The HUGEST Lord of the Rings fan ever!
Owner of all Lord of the Rings merchandise.
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Twit
Lorien

Aug 17 2009, 12:50pm

Post #9 of 16 (5584 views)
Shortcut
here goes [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was amazing to see the towering statues, I find the geography of Middle-earth confusing but this really helped in relation to where they had been and where they would all go. Sort of.

He was more, I have said it before, but before movie Boromir, I didn't feel much sympathy towards him. Then Sean Bean (along with the writers) came along and I find I can now re-read book Boromir and really feel for him. Personally I would have liked to have seen him as Aragorn- just to see...

Yes, I really like the Boromir costume, it is my favourite man costume. I like the colour, it is the sort of colour I would wear. Although I don't suppose many men could carry off the embroidery and still be manly.

Thank you- there have been some cool pictures to study.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 17 2009, 1:30pm

Post #10 of 16 (5603 views)
Shortcut
Very Boromir-centric [In reply to] Can't Post

He's coming home... and he's bringing help. He's fighting for that in this first pic and can't understand why his king is hesitating to come. I think he believes in Aragorn by now. These really are great shots bringing us into Boromir's world.

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

MidnightRanger
The Shire

Aug 19 2009, 6:52am

Post #11 of 16 (5606 views)
Shortcut
Thoughts on Boromir... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, I was a movie-firster for the Fellowship, book-firster for TTT and ROTK. Hell, I had never even heard of LOTR when the first movie came out, since I was 12 or 13 years old, 20 now. Regardless, when I finally did get around to reading the Fellowship book (AFTER I saw the second and third movies) I thought seeing Jackson's version first actually made it all the more enjoyable to read about. Honestly, Jackson put such an emphasis on making the Argonath so magnificent. Let me be honest for a second here. As a 12 or 13 year old who was clueless at the time, I was bored as hell watching the Fellowship until the battle at the bridge of Khazad-Dum. Then I got bored again until I saw the Agornath. Ever since, I have been hooked on LOTR. So yes, I would see Jackson did a good job making it work.

I didn't know who Sean Bean was at the time the movie came out. Again, clueless little boy. However, eventually I realized that he was the bad guy from James Bond (Goldeneye). But it's been only recently that I have been able to appreciate the beauty of Sean Bean's performance as Boromir. In the book, Faramir was my favorite character. He was one of few truly honorable humans in the Third Age, since he was able to let Frodo go, understanding the importance of the mission he was on. In the movie, however, I realized something about Boromir. He IS a human being. Let me explain. Boromir is overtaken by greed and the selfishness of his own wants. Aren't all humans susceptible to that kind of stuff? So he, being a human being, gets caught up in himself and tries to take the ring from Frodo. And then later on, he realizes how wrong he was and tries to make amends for it by sacrificing himself for the good of the world. Another part of being human, basic emotion. He felt sorrow and regret for the wrong he had just done. And I thought Sean Bean portrayed those emotions so well. He went from greed and regret perfectly, just like a normal human would feel. And because of that, he was not only my perfect Bormor, but enough to make Boromir pretty much my favorite LOTR character. I really felt drawn to Boromir because he was portrayed to be a normal human being. Heroes in other movies are almost never flawed in such a manner.

Boromir was a Captain of the armies of Gondor, and the son of the Steward of the most powerful nation in Middle-Earth. In a sense, he was kind of a prince, but not really. Yes, Boromir wears a leather vest, but so does Aragorn, and unless I am mistaken, Faramir did as well. His sleeves do look rather nice, but as a man with a strong reputation, you would expect him to dress a little nicer. The collar is the only thing that really does suggest what his title really is, and even that is not OVERLY noticeable. Personally, Boromir does not dress how you might typically expect a captain and Steward's son to dress. I personally feel that he knew the importance of his mission, that he was not by himself looking for personal glory, but rather, an unlikely band of a wizard, an elf, a dwarf, two men and four hobbits were out on the most important quest the world had known since the days of Isildur. Therefore, I think Boromir did not dress overly flashy because he knew the mission was not about him, but rather, the ringbearer, who he also swore himself to. He could have dressed more royalty-like, since he and Legolas were the only two of royalty, but they both chose to stay more laid back and not be the center of attention, which I think is respectable.

I'd be interested to hear anyone's comments, especially on #2 and #3.

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 19 2009, 10:05pm

Post #12 of 16 (5566 views)
Shortcut
flawed heroes... [In reply to] Can't Post

What I like about Jackson's Boromir is that he's not just flawed, but that his storyline includes recognition of that aspect of himself, and direct action on his part to do something about it. Here's a hero who actually acknowledges and confronts his failings, rather than just channeling it into taking out some bad guys.

Aragorn's response to Boromir is also pretty key to me. Forgiving him, and giving him the gift of seeing that his actions led to some good, provides closure for Boromir, and is very powerful, to me.

We live in a time of such suspicion, in terms of our leaders ...where I see many good people choose not to run for office or take up leadership because of how they'll be opening themselves and their families up to attack for any time they aren't perfect. In these two characters, as Jackson presented them on screen, I find much to admire and reflect on in terms of how we see, judge and respond to leaders in RL.

I've mused from time to time that the LOTR films would be great to use in teaching a contemporary leadership class -- there's such a great variety of characters, and non-traditional hero types represented, and they are all pretty much responding to the ripple effect of forces beyond their control impacting them. Really, everyone has some kind of "leadership moment" in the films -- where they have to choose to do the right thing, under circumstances that really challenge them, and where the choices they make have profound impact on someone else.

Weaver

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 24 2009, 2:19am

Post #13 of 16 (5562 views)
Shortcut
Argonath Arguments. [In reply to] Can't Post

See this post and the responses to it for more on Jackson's fidelity (or not) to Tolkien.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Silmarillion in the Reading Room, Aug. 9 - Mar 7. Please join the conversation!

This week: "Valaquenta".
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 24 2009, 3:11am

Post #14 of 16 (5550 views)
Shortcut
Boromir's costume [In reply to] Can't Post

We talked about Boromir's costume to some length awhile back. If you're interested you can find that thread here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...?post=116452;#116452 and you can find some great detail shots here: http://www.framecaplib.com/misc/Boromir.htm

I think Boromir is dressed more finely than anyone else in the group, save perhaps for Frodo. Underneath that leather jerkin he's wearing an embroidered silk shirt and over the whole costume he has that fantastic velvet cloak! Until he trades it in for the Fellowship cloak, of course. The story of Boromir's heritage is seen in the details of the costume, though. My favorite part are his silver buckles, which bear not only the White Tree but also seem to be formed in the shape of the White City itself.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for August

.Ithilwen.
Rivendell

Aug 24 2009, 2:04pm

Post #15 of 16 (5543 views)
Shortcut
Thank you very much! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hoping to find that

Live...Love...ROCK!
\m/

9500 words (and growing!) of pure fandom:
http://www.lotrfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=12544

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 24 2009, 2:43pm

Post #16 of 16 (5749 views)
Shortcut
Helpful link [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're interested in these costume discussions, I keep an archive of everything we've discussed here: http://diannethegeek.com/...tumediscussions.html You can always find a link to it in my footer.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for August

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.