Galadriels Mirror

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Feb 20 2007, 5:54am

Post #1 of 11 (3771 views)
Shortcut
Galadriels Mirror Can't Post

Galadriels Mirror

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 20 2007, 6:33am

Post #2 of 11 (3188 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely gorgeous. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not going to reply to all of your threads because I'm starting to become repetitive (attention to detail and your shading... just amazing in all of them). In this one I can see your proportions are better than a couple others, and the hair doesn't look as thick as in previous ones.

Do you have an account on DeviantArt? If not, you should join up, and then submit your art to the Tolkien community up there. I'm a mod for the community "tolkien", and your art would be a great addition. :)

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Feb 20 2007, 8:40am

Post #3 of 11 (3192 views)
Shortcut
A difficult journey getting this far. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank your so much for you comments. I can see now the benefits of not posting so man all at once. (I do have my reasons, pertaining to RL events and schedules, etc.)

I have been trying since early Jan to get my stuff uploaded to some sight. I signed up first at DeviantArt but had the hardest time. (read my thread on feedback, old and new, for details). With a lot of help here, and a lot of hours of trial and error, I finally got these images up on PhotoBucket. Not sure I want to keep them there. But now that I have crossed the hurdle, I will eventually do try DeviantArt. I have big things coming up this week. So I really should "turn off the computer till after Sunday. Lots of luck to me!

It is a great big relief to get his far. I am also trying so hard to work it out prep for my Art discussion in RR. I have some images I wan tot scan but had no idea how to get from computer to Torn. I kept hitting the wall on that.

In Reply To
I'm not going to reply to all of your threads because I'm starting to become repetitive (attention to detail and your shading... just amazing in all of them). In this one I can see your proportions are better than a couple others, and the hair doesn't look as thick as in previous ones.

Do you have an account on DeviantArt? If not, you should join up, and then submit your art to the Tolkien community up there. I'm a mod for the community "tolkien", and your art would be a great addition. :)

+ = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + =
Websites Directory, my drawings,
Aloha & Mahalo

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 13 2007, 9:09am

Post #4 of 11 (3139 views)
Shortcut
footer test 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Art Gallery Revised, ORC pic of Hawaii friends, my drawings, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 19 2007, 4:08am

Post #5 of 11 (3162 views)
Shortcut
footer test new [In reply to] Can't Post

Alan Lee Discussion week: starts March 25th Reading Room

Art Gallery Revised, ORC pic of Hawaii friends, my drawings,
Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 24 2007, 6:50am

Post #6 of 11 (3168 views)
Shortcut
into test [In reply to] Can't Post

Alan Lee Discussion #1 - Introduction

Image from Worldcon .org

Mae Govannen! and Aloha Kβkou!

Welcome to the Alan Lee Discussion. All of the thumbnail size images are clickable (you can test-drive the ones on this page). The larger ones are not. (I needed to cut steps some where.) Many of the images are from Rolozo, almost half of the images I scanned my self from the 2007 Calendar and from The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook, that I Link to my: scanned myself for the discussion (6 pages).
There is a real absence of drawings of any of the characters or races from the literature illustrations, other than Dwarves for the Hobbit (to be explained by some of his comments). So for Hobbits, men, elves, bad guys, and others, I dipped into his sketchbook. Some are clearly studies for his paintings found in the literature as well, and most are generic enough to not seem film related. I chose images on the basis of what seemed to be missing from the internet and what was interesting, yet trying to avoid obvious film references (with a wink or two included).
Posts may be eratic in the beginning as I have a lot of events (related to my Tolkien group) I am juggling at that same time. There will be more frequent posts than there have been in ecent weeks. There was a lot of material to squeeze into one week. Alan Lee has a proliferation of work everywhere: Internet, books, calendars, films. I had to decide what not to include because there was so much of it. That was extremely difficult. I certainly had my hand full and thought of backing out many times. What kept me going (beside the commitment) is that I love Alan Lee's work, he is my "Drawing Idol", one at least.
Requarding questions: my original thought was to follow Drogo's method and not ask any questions. But then some questions popped into my head here and there. It is pretty sporadic. There are a lot of quotes from Lee and from the texts. Below is a list of discussion ideas; I will include a link to them in my footer in case you get stuck for ideas.

Just because I love his work that does not mean that anyone else has to. Please be as open as you want about any opinions, thoughts suggestions, whatever. Even post Lee's film images if you like. I have been feeling in a very liberal, hang the rules, power to the people and in a anything-goes (as long its healthy) kind of mood lately.

This post is just to outline the week and warm things up, there are Alan Lee quotes below, mainly about his work, including links. The next post will be on Lee himself: biography and background.

Posts will be on the following subjects:
Alan Lee Discussion #1 - Introduction
Alan Lee #2 - Biography and Background
Alan Lee #3 - Places in The Hobbit – 12 images
Alan Lee #4 - Landscapes fr LotR – 14 images
Alan Lee #5 – Races-Hobbits, Dwarves – 11 images
Alan Lee #6 - Race-Elves, Men – 10 images
Alan Lee #7 - Architectural Places – 13 images
Alan Lee #8 - Creatures & Monsters – 17 images
Alan Lee #9 - Main Characters – 13 images
Alan Lee #10 - The Bad Guys – 14 images
Alan Lee #11 - Scenes from the Hobbit – 8 images images
Alan Lee #12 - Scenes/ActionScenes-LotR – 11 images images
Alan Lee #13 - Mythic Types – 18 images images
Alan Lee #14 - Epic Scenes / Iconic Moments – 8 images
Link to my: Scanned images for Alan Lee Discussion.

THINGS TO CONSIDER and DISCUSS this week:
(For ideas should you get stuck for your own)
- How well are characters illustrated, do images capture the characters': nature, characteristics, dress, description, how they fit in the story, are they behaving true to character, how do they match or differ from your own vision.
- How well is the story told in the imagery. How true is it to the story (since that is the bottom line purpose of Illustration). if it does justice to the story, discuss in what ways it does…or in what ways it dos not.
- Why would the artist chose to depict a place, building or character as he does.
- Why use a certain angle or perspective as opposed to a different viewpoint…what does that do to the tone, the emotion, the characterization, the composition?
- Why would the artist chose to depict that moment in the story? What makes that moment worthy of days and weeks worth to time in research, studies and drafts? In what ways does his interpretation succeed (or not) in rendering that moment in the story?
- If it strays from the story, speculate on why or how that worked or didn't work.
- Why would the artist chose a particular viewpoint or composition
- Composition: how is your eye directed to move around the image; how well is your eyed directed to what is important on the page; How are the edges (borders of image) treated, or ignored;
- Style, composition, form, shapes, quality of line, contrast, unity, focal point, balance, space, colors
- is the image static or dynamic, energized, relaxed. Vibrant.
- Compare to other work discussed so far.
– Any comments on the quotes by Alan Lee
– Any tid-bits about the history of the pictures, some are relevant to book covers and special releases (data or personal stories)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Alan Lee Quotes

"I first read the Lord of the Rings when I was seventeen, and working as a gardener in a cemetery. Every day I would lose myself among the ivy-covered crypt and shadowy groves, and in the evenings immerse myself in the strange and beautiful world that J.R.R. Tolkien's books had opened up for me. I had loved myths and legends from the moment that I first encountered them, and it felt as though everything in those stories that most appealed to me had been distilled and refined and forged into this totally compelling narrative. So the outer suburbs of middle-earth, and my friends became rangers, and I decided that I would really rather illustrate books than tend graves.

After studying graphics and illustration for three years, and another six earning a living doing paperback covers, my dream of being able to illustrate the stories tat I liked best started to bear fruit. There were books of fairy lore, and Celtic myths, and Arthurian stories, and eventually I found myself talking to Rayner Unwin and Jane Johnson about the idea of a illustrated edition of The Lord of the Rings to commemorate the centenary of its author's birth.

I was pleased to be offered the chance to illustrate one of my favourite books, but also a little daunted by the responsibility involved in placing my illustrations alongside a text that was so deeply loved by its many admirers, and which had already demonstrated that it worked very well on its own, without any pictures. I think the Tolkien Estate were even more nervous about it than I was, and I was asked to do some drawings of how the characters may be represented before they would five the go-ahead." —Aan Lee, The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook, Introduction, p 10–11

Alan Lee on his Influences:
"There are two main threads of influence; Realistic, or Narrative painting and illustration, including that of Howard Pyle, N.C. Wyeth, the Pre-Raphaelites, and other 19th Century Academic Artists, like Alma Tadema, - and the Romantics (and here), like Turner, Claude, Samuel Palmer and Richard Dadd . I also get excited by Breughel and Bosch, Botticelli, Leonardo, Giovanni Bellini, Filippo Lippi, Van Eyck and Durer has had a huge influence on my drawing. My favourite artist, though, is Rembrandt; seeing his paintings in the National Gallery in London when I was 14 was probably my first major encounter with great art, and I'm still reeling from the shock.

19th Century Art Links:
19th Century Running Rampant – Art Renewal.org
19th and 20th Century Art Links 19th and 20th Century Art Links
Royal Academies of Art
Academic Art
Tour: Romantics and Realists
Romanticism - Artcyclopedia
The Golden Age of Illustration – Art Encyclopedia
Art Encyclopedia Index

Alan Lee Discussion week: starts March 25th in the Reading Room
Scanned images for Alan Lee Discussion.
Alan LeeQuote: "...my aim is not to dictate how things should look, but to serve the author's vision, and to create an atmosphere, a space between the words where the eye and mind can wander, and imagine for themselves . . .what will happen next." — Alan Lee
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Apr 4 2007, 8:16pm

Post #7 of 11 (3142 views)
Shortcut
Font Size Examples [In reply to] Can't Post

size 1
Willow Trees

size 2
Willow Trees

size 3
Willow Trees

size 4
Willow Trees

size 5
Willow Trees

size 6
Willow Trees

size 7
Willow Trees

Alan Lee Discussion week: starts March 25th in the Reading Room
Discussion Ideas, Alan Lee–Introduction, Scanned images for Alan Lee Discussion.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jun 20 2007, 8:08am

Post #8 of 11 (3750 views)
Shortcut
War Links related to Lt. J.G. Robert Sterling [In reply to] Can't Post

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Links of Relevance
to Lt. J.G. Robert Sterling

Battle Links related to Robert
and
Island Information, Maps

BATTLE OF THE MARIANAS — a.k.a: The Great Marianas Turkey Shoot:
Marianas Turkey Shoot ***** – Air Group 31, great story detail!
The Great Marianas Turkey Shoot (19-20 June, 1944) – The FReeper Foxhole Remembers - June 22nd, 2003 *** excellent account! –NEW
Battle of the Marianas
Marianas and the Great Turkey Shoot – WWII Database (ww2db)
Battle of the Mariana Islands
Marianas Turkey Shoot - Wikipedia
Strategic Victory in the Marianas:? Liberation of Guam; Capture of Saipan and Tinian – Hyperwar, a collection of different writings.
The Air Battles by Richard L. Dunn? – Missing Air Crew.com - NEW
Greatest & Last Battle of a Naval Era? – Time.com (3 pages) - NEW
The Hornet during WWII — USS-hornet.org
"During the Battle of the Philippine Sea on June 19th, Hellcat pilots from Hornet destroyed enemy aircraft with no losses in what came to be known as the "Marianas Turkey Shoot". The following afternoon, a TBM from Wasp (CV-18) spotted the retiring Japanese fleet and a strike was immediately launched. Pilots from The Hornet were the first to attack, scoring lethal hits on Zuikaku-class carrier. It was long after dark when the returning aircraft arrived over the Task Force. All were critically low on fuel, many badly shot up and their pilots wounded. From flag plot aboard Lexington (CV-16), Admiral Mark Mitscher gave his famous order to "turn on the lights", thus risking the submarine threat, but allowing the exhausted aviators to find carrier decks upon which to land."

Information about the Marianas:
Northern Mariana Islands - officially the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) – Wikipedia
Mariana Islands – Wikipedia
Western Pacific (Marianas) – Army.mil
Introduction
Northern Mariana Islands
- About.com

Maps of the Mariannas:
Larger Map of the Marianas
Map: Mariana Islands and New Guinea
Interactive Map of Mariana Islands (island(s)) - Encarta.msn.com
Northern Marianas – Saipan & Tinian - Go.hrw.com
Clickable zoom Map of Mariana Islands (island(s)) - Encarta.msn.com
Marianas Map – Wikimedia
Marianas Map – Infoplease .com
Map: Pacific Islands and Australia
Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands Maps Perry-Castaρeda Library?Map Collection
Maps of Northern Mariana Islands - Maps of the World Directory

BATTLE OF THE PHILIPPINE SEA:
Decisive Battle: The Battle of the Philippine Sea – 18th June to 20th June, 1944 *****
Battle of the Philippine Sea – **** (5 pages) Historynet.com
Battle of the Philippine Sea – Wikipedia
Battle of the Philippine Sea – "The absolute, nail in the coffin, backbreaker for the Japanese…"
Battle of the Philippine Sea - Index – and – Battle of the Philippine Sea - Narrative – 19-20 June 1944
Map: Battle of the Philippine Sea –Battle of the Philippine Sea – History Animated
Battle of the Philippine Sea – History Learning site

Task Force 58
– New

Task Force 58 — View from the Flagship, Chapter 1 – (Page 1 of 7 Pgs) The Battle of the Marianas — June 1944 — A selection of related stories of U.S. Naval Aviation In the South Pacific during WW II -
The Fast Carrier Task Force – The Battle of the Philippine Sea
19-20 June 1944 - Odyssey
Task Force 58 – Answers.com
Fast Carrier Task Force – Wikipedia
SHIPS of Task Force 58 WW II – USS Indiana bb58
Task Force 58 –
Task Force 58 – Arlington Cemetery

COMMANDERS:
MARC ANDREW MITSCHER
Marc Andrew Mitscher – ww2db.com

Marc Andrew Mitscher – History.navy.mil
Marc Mitscher – Wikipedia
Marc Andrew Mitscher – Admiral, United States Navy – Arlington Cemetery.net
Marc Andrew Mitscher – Answers.com
Admiral Marc Andrew Mitscher, USN – Navysite.de
Mitscher, Marc Andrew, 1887-1947 – Pictures - Trumanlibrary.org

VICE-ADMIRAL RAYMOND SPRUANCE
Vice-Admiral Raymond Spruance, in command of 5th Fleet
The Battle of the Philippine Sea 19-20 June 1944: Spruance's Decision ***** – Battle of the Philippine Sea Index
Raymond A. Spruance – Wikipedia
Raymond A. Spruance – Naval Historical Center
Admiral Raymond Ames Spruance, USN, (1886-1969) – Library of Selected Images - history.navy.mil
Spruance or Halsey: Who Was Better Man for the Job – (The Battle of Midway June 3-6, 1942) centuryinter.net
Raymond A. Spruance – Spartacus.Schoolnet
Raymond Spruance – Californians and the Military - Military Museum.org
Admiral Raymond Ames Spruance – Pacific Biographies - Microworks.net

Spruance Spruance: Picture of the admiral – Article by Fletcher Pratt published August 1946 — Harpers.org
Admiral Raymond A. Spruance: Modest Victor of Midway – historynet.com
Admiral Raymond A. Spruance – answers.com
Admiral Spruance and the Battle of Philippine Sea: A Brilliant Victory or a Bungled Opportunity? –

OTHERS:
Plans and Preparations – hyperwar
Arleigh Burke – Wikipedia
Biography of Rear Admiral Joseph James "Jocko" Clark – commander of USS Yorktown - jacklummus.com
Joseph James Clark Admiral, United States Navy –
Admiral Montgomery: fighters of TG 58.2. (no links)
Admiral Reeves: Task Group 58.3 (no links)

Planes & Pilots

HELLDIVER/DAUNTLESSS PILOTS of the PACIFIC WAR in WWII:
— Army Air Corps from Pontiac, Michigan
?WWII Aces & Aviation History
Michigan voices Vol. IV? The Pacific: Guadalcanal to Saipan – August 1942 to July 1944 – Army Air Forces? in? World War II
General Pilot Resources:
Army Air Force, WWII Resource Guide –U.S. Army Air Forces in World War II – HyperwarArmy Air Forces Historical Association –American fighter pilots and airplanes of World War Two
Pilots of Torpedo Squadron 31 – (Robert is not on this list: Contact)
American Fighter Aces?Series 1 – Airartnw.com - New
Cdr. David McCampbell - Top Navy Ace – acepilots.com - New
"Ace of Aces" – Capt David S. McCampbell? U.S. Navy WW-II Top Fighter Ace - Concentric.net – New
Barrett Tillman's Web Page – Author: "Clash of the Carriers", Dauntless, Hellcats, U. S. Navy Fighter Squadrons in World War II (The only survey of every U.S. Navy fighter squadron in existence from December 1941 through 1945, with details of combat deployments, aces, pilot casualties, etc). – New
Aviation Hall of Fame - WWII – National Aviation
Grumman F4F Wildcat: U.S. Navy Fighter in World War II – An obscure U.S. Navy fighter did yeoman duty when times were toughest early in World War II. By Bruce L. Crawford - Historynet.com - New
Planes & Pilots of World War II – An online World War II aviation history magazine
Links to WWII and aviation sites – 487th Bombardment of the 8th Air Force

DAUNTLESS TORPEDO PLANE:
Douglas SBD Dauntless – Combat Aircraft of the Pacific War
SBD Dauntless Dive Bomber – Wikipedia
Douglas SBD Dauntless – Warbird Alley's Main Page
The Douglas SBD Dauntless – xs4all
Douglas XBT2D Dauntless II
U.S. Aircraft – Warbirds.com
World War II Warbirds
American Aircraft of World War II

HELLDIVER / TORPEDO PLANES:
SB2C Helldiver – Curtiss dive bomber "Son of a Bitch, Second Class" – Ace Pilots
SB2C Helldiver – Wikipedia
Curtiss SB2C Helldiver: The Last Dive Bomber – Historynet
Helldiver Photos – Webshots
Bombers of World War II – pbs.org

MILITARY AVIATION:
Aerial Warfare – Wikipedia
Dogfight – Wikipedia
Naval aviation – Wikipedia
Military Aviation – Wikipedia
World War Two Combat Planes – Great Aircraft of History - Acepilots.com
Bomber – Wikipedia
Fighter Aircraft – Wikipedia
Military Aircraft – Wikipedia
Fighter Planes – Fighter-Planes.com
History of Aviation - World War II – History Central

STORIES and ANECHDOTES of WWII
(On Topic)

Pilot's Stories:
• *** A Carrier Pilot's Story – story told from a pilot who flew the same two planes Robert did, may even have been in some of the same battles. Very ell told with good detail with great images; the story ends sometime in 1943.
• 1944 - Philippine Sea and The Great Marianas Turkey Shoot? - James Ramage of VB-10 begins the story, Don Gordon of VF-10 continues the narrative on 19 June 1944 (and others) (assigned to the Enterprise, but in the same battle) — page 2, page 3 (talks about loss of planes due to fuel shortage, how most losses were operational rather that battle related and they were high) – cv6.org
• The Bomber Pilots and Crews – a series of brief anecdotes or flyers assigned to the Essex, a few in the 'Turkey Shoot', great photos! Gives a sinse of what it might have been like for him;
• Cdr. William A. Dean and VF-2 "Rippers"…19/20 June 1944 – acepilots.com
• Pilots & Crew Stories: The Battle of the Marianas – June 1944 – A selection of related stories of U.S. Naval Aviation in the South Pacific during WW II, featuring the Lexington Aircraft Carrier ?
Planes & Pilots of World War II – An online World War II aviation history magazine

Yorktown Stories :
World War II: Interview with U.S. Navy Yeoman Jack Adam – All about his experience from bootcamp to being station on the Yorktown during the big battles.
Man remembers when JJ Clark risked it all?by turning on the lights on the night flight deck?to save stranded US Navy pilots – The War Times Journal
An Interview with Jack M. Williams – Yorktown Sailor.com
Find a WWII Story – hbo.com

Award Links

DISTINGUISHED SERVICE CROSS:
Distinguished Service Cross (United States Army)
Distinguished Service Cross – Fox Fall.com
Recipients of the Distinguished Service Cross – Home of Heroes
U.S. Army Individual Decorations (in order) - Americal .org

PURPLE HEART:
Purple Heart – Wikipedia
Military Order of the Purple Heart, Special Organization ***** – Purple Heart.org (includes descendents; conventions, scholarships, etc.)
Purple Heart Database – and: Purple Heart Recipient Submission Requirements *****
Recipient Registry – ***** Recipient Registry: American Purple Heart, Wound Chevron, and Mariners Medal
Purple Heart – Americal.org
Purple Hearts.net
Purple Heart .com
The Purple Heart...What Is It? – Purple Heart Chapters.org
Category:Recipients of the Purple Heart medal – Wikipedia
The National Purple Heart Hall of Honor - Ny Sparks.state
National Deep Purple Hall of Honor – The Purple Heart.com

Aircraft Cariers

USS BUNKER HILL (CV-17):
USS Bunker Hill (CV 17) – Bunker Hill.navy.mil
USS Bunker Hill (CV 17) – Wikipedia
USS Bunker Hill (CV 17) – NavSource Online: Aircraft Carrier Photo Archive
USS Bunker Hill (CV 17) – Chinfo.navy.mil
USS Bunker Hill (CV 17) – History .Navy.mil
USS Bunker Hill (CV 17) – Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships

USS YORKTOWN (CV-10):
USS Yorktown (CV-10) – Wikipedia
USS Yorktown CV-10 – Chinfo.navy.mil
USS Yorktown (CV 10) – Navysite.de
USS Yorktown (CV-10) – Patriots Point.Org
USS Yorktown CV-10 – History Central.com
USS Yorktown (CV 10) – Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships

Yorktown Images:
USS Yorktown (CV-10) – Navsource.org
Images from documentary about USS Yorktown – Yorktown Sailor.com
USS Yorktown1 943-1975 – Online Library of Selected Images:? U.S. Navy Ships, Department of the Navy — Naval Historical Center
USS Yorktown1 – images.google

USS INTREPID (CV-11)
USS Intrepid (CV-11) – chinfo.navy.mil
USS Intrepid (CV-11) – Navsource
USS Intrepid (CV-11) – Wikipedia
USS Intrepid (CV-11) – Great pictures! - Maritime Quest.com
USS Intrepid (CV-11) – History.navy.mil
USS Intrepid (CV-11) – Swordsmen.org
USS Intrepid – Aviation: From Sand Dunes to Sonic Booms - nps.gov
Intrepid Museum – Intrepid Museum.org
"My Ship!" U.S.S Intrepid – ?by Raymond Stone - Kamikaze Images
USS Intrepid Association – Former Crewmembers
USS Intrepid (CV-11) – USS INTREPID was the third ESSEX - class aircraft carrier and the fourth ship in the Navy to bear the name — Navysite.de
USS Intrepid History – an outline - wa3key.com

OTHER AIRCRAFT CARIERS IN the BATTLE:
The Fast Carriers
EssexClass Fast Carriers – The six ships of this class participating in the Marianas operation and the Battle of the Philippine Sea were: Essex, Hornet, Yorktown, Wasp, Lexington and Bunker Hill
USS Enterprise CV-6 – odyssey.dircon.co (Image of air battle take by a sailor on board on day of Marianas Turkey Shoot) ***
The Cariers – about.com
The Hornet – Task Force 58 — The Hornet – main page – caltech.edu
The Hornet during WWII

Pacific War of WWII - General

Timeline of Events?1941-1945 – History Place .com
Pacific War – Wikipedia
Pacific Ocean theater of World War II – Wikipedia
Pacific War – WWII Database (ww2db)
The Pacific War – The War Times Journal
Patriots Point.Org – a museum; fun site to set the mood, great music (Benny Goodman, et al).
Major Turning Points of World War 2 – Wiki Answers
Chapter 23?: World War II: The War Against Japan – American Military History
Pacific Theater of Operations – Hyperwar
World War II in the Pacific – and: WW2 PACIFIC FAQ – ww2pacific.com
World War II Maps – Perry-Castaρeda Library?Map Collection
US Army Air Force Glossary and Abbreviations –
World War II – Wars and Conflicts of the United States Navy - History.Navy.mil

Other Battle Links related to the Marianas

BATTLE OF SAIPAN:
Battle of Saipan – Wikipedia
The Battle of Saipan
Breaching the Marianas:The Battle for Saipan – Marines in World War II ?Commemorative Series
The Air Offensive: Saipan and Tinian – World War II? Virtual Museum

THE BATTLE OF TINIAN:
Battle of Tinian – Wikipedia
The Seizure of Tinian – by Jerry Holden for the HyperWar Foundation
Invasion And Battle For Tinian – American Memorial Park Virtual Museum

THE BATTLE OF GUAM:
Battle of Guam and Capture of Guam – Wikipedia
Project Guam – Airdale American History
Beginning of the End – Marines in World War II Commemorative Series
Battle action on Guam: Image Album – National Park Service

NEW GUINEA & WWII:
New Guinea campaign – Wikipedia
The Pacific War and New Guinea
The Battle for Papua and New Guinea
New Guinea?The Battle for Papua and New Guinea – Hyperwar: collection of writings on the web
South West Pacific theatre of World War II – Wikipedia
New Guinea – Wikipedia
Maps & Information:
Map of New Guinea (island(s)), Asia – Encarta.msn.com
Image: New Guinea map – Google
Clickable map of New Guinea – fotw.net
Papua New Guinea – Geographia
About Papua New Guinea– About.com: Geography

…

Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jun 20 2007, 8:34am

Post #9 of 11 (3601 views)
Shortcut
*** Gramma's Account of Robert's Battle *** [In reply to] Can't Post

Gramma's Account of Robert's Battle
In the Marianas Islands

Bob (on the left) in his pilot's gear.

Reference Links of Relevance to Robert

Uncle Bob was the eldest son of 5 children in Dad's family. He graduated from Michigan State College (now University) with a degree in engineering and was working for General Motors of Grand Rapids, Michigan when WWII broke out. He joined the U.S. Army Air Corps and was a Lieutenant JG Helldiver Pilot where he flew off the aircraft carriers Yorktown, Intrepid and Bunker Hill.

Helldivers were two-man torpedo attack planes with a pilot and a navigator/gunner. Bob's plane was lost at sea when returning from an attack on the Japanese fleet in the Battle of the Marianas (referred to as the Marianas Turkey Shoot) as a part of a combined American Fleet designated Task Force 58. It was one of the major attacks launched against the Japanese in the Pacific since the bombing of Pearl Harbor, and it was a turning point in the war. Of the 430 enemy aircraft involved in the battle, 35 were left operational with three carriers and two of their finest ships sunk. Of the hundreds of American planes launched, losses were 23 aircraft shot down and 6 aircrew lost operationally with 31 fatal injuries on the ships from enemy attacks.

Bob in the cockpit of his Dauntless Torpedo Plane

This battle took place on the night of June 19, 1944. Our planes had to travel over a great distance to engage the Japanese fleet. All the while our planes were flying towards the enemy, the U.S. commander (Admiral Spruance) ordered the fleet to travel "away" from the battle in fear of German U-boats... widening the distance for our planes' return late in the evening. This was one of many bad decisions the non-flyer commander made against the counsel of his flight-experienced Admirals; the most respected and experienced being Admiral Mitscher.

Orders for ships at sea during wartime are to travel with no lights running so they won't be spotted by the enemy. Our air forces were in a brutal fight, diving at the enemy ships while flying through gunfire and avoiding enemy aircraft. When the battle was over, our planes (crippled and running low on fuel) tried to find their way back to their carriers in the dark; which were now a much greater distance away than when they had left. Admiral Mitscher finally convinced Spruance to turn the fleet and steam back toward the returning planes. Against orders and at great risk to themselves from enemy submarines and night-flying scout planes, Mitscher also convinced Spruance to light up the carriers as a beacon for our planes. After flying a total of 275-300 miles to engage the enemy and then return to the US fleet, the aircraft landed nearly out of fuel. Most of those lost never made it simply because they ran out of fuel and ditched. Some pilots were recovered the next day in an exhaustive search, but Bob and his navigator were never found.

A fellow pilot who was with Bob during that battle contacted my Grandmother after the war and told her he saw Bob's plane dive through the enemy flack over and over, attacking the enemy ships. When the attack was broken off, he saw Bob pull out of his last dive and turn with the rest of the aircraft as they headed back to the American fleet. Bob's plane was shot up, yet he was still in control... but he never made it back. It's unknown if the plane finally failed from multiple hits, if Bob succumbed to injuries, or if they ran out of fuel. A year and a day later, he was declared dead. Grandma received the Purple Heart posthumously for her son. He was cited as being responsible for sinking one of the enemy ships during that battle. It's sad, but we never knew what his navigator's name was. All we know is that he was from New Jersey. Their records were lost in a government office fire along with thousands of other military/veteran's records in the mid-1960s.

Grandma was widowed when Uncle Bob was 14. She raised 4 sons and 1 daughter alone since the beginning of the depression. She lost 2 of her 4 sons during WWII while the other two both served as Marines. Bob went into the Army Air Corps, Dad and Uncle Jimmy went into the Marine Corps, and Uncle Andy died while awaiting orders from the Army.

In 1997, I visited the family farm in Ohio for the first time in over 25 years. I also visited the graves of my Uncles, Aunt, Grandparents, and Great Grandparents... generations of my Dad's family. But it was then I noticed there was no marker for Uncle Bob. We grew up knowing his story, but since my visit to the farm (abandoned for over 30 years and now being restored by our family) he has become someone very real to me.

Even though I never knew Uncle Bob, I've noticed that in every picture I've seen of him... he's smiling. I'm told he was brilliant. Studies and challenges came easily to him. He was very tall... 6'4". I would think that it would have been quite a challenge for a pilot in such a confined warplane. He was also a consummate joker. His brothers and he were incredibly close and always did things together. I would have loved to hang out with him and hear stories that, I'm sure, would have me riveted for hours and hours.

Grandma and Bob during his last stateside visit in 1942.

Uncle Bob and my Dad as boys visiting the farm.
http://img.photobucket.com/...nponyphotobucket.jpg

Bob around the time of college graduation.
http://img.photobucket.com/...BobgraduationMSU.jpg

A caricature of Bob by a friend.
http://img.photobucket.com/...cleBobcaracature.jpg

A caricature of Bob by a friend.
http://img.photobucket.com/...cleBobcaracature.jpg

Uncle Bob on the porch at the farm in Ohio
http://img.photobucket.com/...g/UncleBobatFarm.jpg

Andy and Jimmy, Bob and Dad:
http://img.photobucket.com/...maboodawg/img029.jpg

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Finduilas
Bree

Nov 20 2010, 3:29am

Post #10 of 11 (3108 views)
Shortcut
love galadriel [In reply to] Can't Post

nice work. nice choice in picking the scene to draw. she looks so mysterious in that one.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Nov 20 2010, 9:48pm

Post #11 of 11 (3381 views)
Shortcut
I picked . . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

this moment to draw because it was so iconic and representative of Galadriel.

Posting Flat Mode vs. Threaded Mode
Art Gallery Revised, Meaning of Aloha, What does Aloha mean, Websites Directory

Nienna: “those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.