Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TORn History Scavenger Hunt
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 20 2009, 12:27am

Post #1 of 33 (1385 views)
Shortcut
TORn History Scavenger Hunt Can't Post

And yet there lie in Denethor's hoards many records that few now can read, even of the lore-masters,
for their scripts and tongues have become dark to later men.

And thus it is with TheOneRing.net. But we are going on a scavenger hunt!

I will post a series of questions. The answers all lie within the domain of TheOneRing.net. My goal is that all who seek to be one of the 'few that now can read" find the answers. Using any method at your disposal is good (remember: Google is your friend). I will give you some resources to get you started and a few hints along the way.

Every hunt will focus on one area of TORn and if you find the answers you seek, you will be awarded a special, collectible (digital) medallion - one for each area.

So, get out your torches. Bring along those goblets of drink. And dig through the scrolls of TORn. I'll post the first hunt as a reply to this message.

LOTR soundtrack website : TTT Lyrics Update May 09
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 20 2009, 12:41am

Post #2 of 33 (918 views)
Shortcut
Hunt through: Quickbeam's Out on a Limb [In reply to] Can't Post

Quickbeam's Out on a Limb is found in GreenBooks. There's not even a link for GreenBooks on the home page anymore but this was the area of TORn I visited most often (other than the home page) for a long time. There is wonderful stuff to be found there.

But let's first concentrate on Quickbeam's area.

First, just like Gandalf said the Ring wanted to be found, I want you to find the answers. I want to make it enough of a hunt that it is fun... but my goal is not to stump you so completely that you don't have a chance to experience some of the wonderful stuff in the depths of TORn.

The first resource I will offer is a direct link to Quickbeam's Out on a Limb.
http://greenbooks.theonering.net/quickbeam/
Next, when phrasing the questions, I've tried to give enough of a hint to give you some chance of finding the right article to peruse.

Google has a nice search option called 'site search'. You might look into how to do that if you want that resource.

If you request more hints, I'll give them. I'm not going to right off the bat because I'm rushing to get this done and run some errands. Plus, there's no way to make hints completely invisible even when replying to that post so they're best offered in a separate post. If you feel really stumped but want to keep looking, ask and you shall receive.

Here are the questions. Please don't put answers in the subject of your reply (be sure to hit reply to THIS MESSAGE to properly order your posts). Discussion about the information is highly encouraged. Each group of questions comes from the same article

1. In his first post, what does Quickbeam say beckons him back to Tolkien's no matter how many times he reads it?

2. What was the Final Word and how was it revealed to Quickbeam?
3. What question was the Final Word in answer to?
# Bonus A: where can the FINAL word be heard in the soundtrack?

4. Why - a little over a year before the release of FOTR - did Quickbeam ask that we all chant twice a day: "This is not MY film-It's Peter's film. This is not my film-it's Peter's film"?
# Bonus B: can you find the image that prompted this train of thought?

5. What LOTR character did Quickbeam feel was a mirror to his own soul?
6. What qualifications did Quickbeam have that landed him a consulting job at the gaming company, Universal Interactive?
7. What job, other than consulting, did he perform for Universal Interactive?

8. To what actor or actress did Quickbeam sincerely apologize after seeing him or her perform in LOTR?

9. Who did Quickbeam call out in an open letter and why?
# Ultra Bonus C: Does anyone have a copy of the original item that caused this open letter to be written?

Let the hunt begin!

(This post was edited by Magpie on Aug 20 2009, 12:44am)

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 20 2009, 3:34am

Post #3 of 33 (855 views)
Shortcut
Fun! I found the first three... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd forgotten just how many great articles QB wrote -- thanks!

1. The absence of sex, guns and obscenities
2. Yes!
3. In a steamy bathroom!
4. At the very end of the film? (I'm thinking of Gimli's "yes" -- is that what you meant?)

I'll be back to tackle the rest -- this will be worth setting aside some time to do right!

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 20 2009, 3:42am

Post #4 of 33 (852 views)
Shortcut
*almost* on the first bonus question - hint inside [In reply to] Can't Post

The first bonus questions is: # Bonus A: where can the FINAL word be heard in the soundtrack?

By FINAL word I'm talking about the last Elvish word that Quickbeam perceived. There were three. Where is the third one heard in the soundtrack.

This is such a geeky soundtrack question that would have everyone on Doug's blog pulling a Hermione with their hands pushed in the air.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Aug 20 2009, 3:42am)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 20 2009, 4:34am

Post #5 of 33 (811 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fun idea, Magpie!

I'm working on it and am about halfway through. However, in the process of clicking back and forth between links and such, I clicked my reply into oblivion. Frown Probably for the best because it's late. But, quoting Aaaarnold: "I'll be back."

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 20 2009, 1:07pm

Post #6 of 33 (821 views)
Shortcut
**Goes off to find Hermoine...** [In reply to] Can't Post

...well, actually, I went to the next best thing -- your website!

And then I spent oh, a few hours wandering looking at all the lyrics....didn't find the answer....but had a lot of fun in the process...

And then I did a websearch for the Final word!

And then I found all of the places that all of the Hermoines of the soundtrack posted it..

And the answer is....

It's in the elvish lyrics sung while they go past the Argonath!

How'd I do? (And thanks for the hint....)

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 20 2009, 1:48pm

Post #7 of 33 (793 views)
Shortcut
fyi: answering only some questions is considered participating [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant to say that and thought this was a good time to add it.

I've done that before... had multiple tabs open and navigated, by mistake, away from my reply window. It is definitely and arg moment.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 20 2009, 1:57pm

Post #8 of 33 (798 views)
Shortcut
I've got the first set! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to try the others later, as I've got a 3 yo in my lap now and it's hard to type.

1. no sex, guns, or cussin'
2. Final Word was "metta" and it was written on his steamed up bathroom mirror.
3. Wings? I suppose that refers to whether or not the balrog has wings.
Bonus: Metta can be heard on the soundtrack when newly crowned King Elessar does the chant of Elendil's words: "Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta".

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 20 2009, 3:17pm

Post #9 of 33 (786 views)
Shortcut
Answers... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but first, kudos to you mmm for putting this together. It's really fun and I think everyone should give atleast some of these a shot, if not venture over to GreenBooks for a peep Tongue

1. In his first post, what does Quickbeam say beckons him back to Tolkien's no matter how many times he reads it?

He finds the world of Middle-earth appealing due to the absence obscenities, guns, and sex.

The final word was "metta" which means "the end". It was revealed to him in two stages - first, the word appeared on his bathroom mirror written in steam Crazy and second, he had Ostadan's help with translating the Elvish.

The Ent was curious about whether a certain "demon of the ancient world" had wings or not.

If you're talking about lyrics, then off the top of my head I'd say in two places. One is in Elendil's Oath (tenn' ambar-metta - unto the ending of the world) and the other is in The Fight (mettanna - to the end).

Elendil's Oath is sung when the Fellowship pass the Argonath. Aragorn also sings it at his coronation.

The Fight is sung when Gandalf battles the Balrog. Again, "mettanna" from the Fight is sung when Gandalf reveals himself as "the White" before a sneering Theoden. And lastly, I also think (but I may be wrong) that "metanna" from The Fight is sung when Gandalf deals the Balrog his deathblow...

4. Why - a little over a year before the release of FOTR - did Quickbeam ask that we all chant twice a day: "This is not MY film-It's Peter's film. This is not my film-it's Peter's film"?

Broadly speaking, he's trying to make the point that the films will be much more enjoyable by Tolkien fans if they understand that cinema is a different medium from literature, and therefore the adaptation process would entail changes to the material.

This is the link I could find to the article on TORn that shows the relevant image: http://archives.theonering.net/...newsview/2/972402998

I thought it would be Quickbeam Crazy but it turns out the answer is Samwise Gamgee Cool

6. What qualifications did Quickbeam have that landed him a consulting job at the gaming company, Universal Interactive?

Quickbeam was a voice actor and did radio and commercial voiceovers.

His was the voice of Sam in the Fellowship of the Ring video game.

8. To what actor or actress did Quickbeam sincerely apologize after seeing him or her perform in LOTR?

Arwen. I mean, Liv Tyler.

He wrote to Jeffrey Wells, and it looks like he was calling him out for dissing LOTR fans, and for largely insulting them by tagging them as stereotypical "geeks" and "pre-teens".

# Ultra Bonus C: Does anyone have a copy of the original item that caused this open letter to be written?

I didn't. But I searched the wayback machine for the link in Quickbeam's post and I found it. Here's the link: http://web.archive.org/...ial&pageid=17312

These were really fun mmm. I can't wait for the next round Laugh

"Crows and Gibbets! What is the House of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater sires."

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 20 2009, 4:27pm

Post #10 of 33 (804 views)
Shortcut
More answers. [In reply to] Can't Post

4. Chanting "This is not MY film-It's Peter's film" is supposed to help hard-core LOTR fans accept the inevitable changes that will be made to the story/characters/settings while making the film. Doing so will lessen the annoyance over the changes and increase the enjoyment of the movies.

Bonus: The image that prompted that train of thought was of Saruman on the spikey wheel.
http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/large/526

5. Quickbeam's soul-mirror: Samwise
6. Quickbeam's qualifications: professional Tolkien geekiness
7. Quickbeam's other non-consulting job: voice of Samwise for UI's "Lord of the Rings" video game for X-Box and PlayStation 2
8. Quickbeam apologised to Liv Tyler.
9. Quickbeam called out Melissa Gilbert and SAG to recognize Christopher Lee.
Bonus: Nope

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

fairelvenlady
Rivendell

Aug 20 2009, 11:46pm

Post #11 of 33 (771 views)
Shortcut
Aha I've found some answers.., [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay here are my answers. I will say this was fun.
Lack of immoral stuff

Wings? Yes! Revealed on foggy mirror.
Do Balrogs have wings?
No clue.

To remind us that there will be changes in the film (like no scouring of shire) we must get used to it.
Nope

Sam
"professional Tolkien geekiness"
voice for Sam

Liv Tyler

Jeffery Wells
Nope not me

What happened when Legolas and Aragorn road with Eomer in the van.
Aragorn: Eomer, Legolas has his bow on my side of the seat!
Legolas: Well Aragorn keeps slapping me while practicing his "heroic" poses.
Eomer: Don't make me turn this van around.

fairelvenlady
Rivendell

Aug 21 2009, 12:01am

Post #12 of 33 (802 views)
Shortcut
Oops I forgot.. [In reply to] Can't Post

To say why the person was called out by Quickbeam. The reason was Jeffery was belittling geeks. The nerve! Also I do hope my answer to the final word is okay because i did the English instead of the Elvish. Blush

weathertop
Lorien

Aug 21 2009, 4:05pm

Post #13 of 33 (776 views)
Shortcut
i still plan on it, just haven't the time!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 21 2009, 4:39pm

Post #14 of 33 (765 views)
Shortcut
There's no deadline. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 21 2009, 5:01pm

Post #15 of 33 (821 views)
Shortcut
**ANSWERS** & Medallion - open when you've finished playing [In reply to] Can't Post

As I said, the goal was to get people exploring TORn. Soon, we hope to begin documenting the history of TORn at which time we will ask for volunteers with all sorts of skills. But we can't document what we aren't aware of and I'm worried that aspects of TORn may be in danger of being lost like the knowledge in those scrolls at Minas Tirith.

That said, any answer is correct/adequate in my mind. My goal has been met if you went to Quickbeam's area GreenBooks and poked around. And I'm terribly aware that any question I ask might have more than one correct answer. Or I might have phrased things ambiguously enough that more than one answer will suffice. Below are the answers I was seeking.

In Defense of Escapism 08/22/99

"Tolkien’s writing is by turns powerful and highly romantic, true, but there is something in the work that beckons me back, continually appeals no matter how many times I read it. Actually, it’s a particular set of things ABSENT that I find so wonderful: a world with no obscenities, guns, or sex. Seriously, it makes all the difference to the modern reader’s experience." (quote from that page)

The Final Word 11/01/02

now... think 'Final Word' as in 'Final Answer'. We give an answer and then we say, "This is my final answer" or "This is my final word". There were three words revealed to Quickbeam: RÁMAR? LÁ! METTA!

RÁMAR? = Wings? - this is the question
LÁ! = Yes. - This is the answer
METTA! = The End.

Tolkien has been asked by Quickbeam (in amusing ways), "Wings?" (which we can assume is the famous debatable question of all time - Do Balrogs have wings?). Tolkien answers "Yes" and adds something like "This is my final word. I'm not going to change my mind."

So, the 'Final Word' of the title is not METTA. That is the last word. But his final word is LÁ! - Yes.
Wings?
Do Balrogs have wings? is assumed
Now I got irritatingly clever. By saying FINAL word I meant the literal final word (yes, you may throw apples but it was bonus - you could have ignored it, too).
I will admit, as soon as I read the first answer (weaver's) I realized I was thinking of another word besides Metta. Thankfully, she found it - as did many of you - in Elendil's Oath which was sung at the Argonath and at the Coronation:
Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn’ Ambar-metta!
Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place I will abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.
The word I was thinking of, which my fellow soundtrack geek Earl thought of, was : mettanna! - which surely has the root of metta because it means "To the end". It's what the chorus shouts as Gandalf descends into the bowels of Moria with the Balrog.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao_pTq11Tpk (at 2:55 and 3:04)
or at 3:32 & 3:41 on the TTT-OST track, Foundations of Stone (from The Fight):
[3:32] Mettanna.
[3:34] Nárendur
[3:36] An
[3:37] mauya
[3:38] mahtie
[3:41] Mettana.

Who’s Spiking Who? 10/01/00

"Bottom line: we must accept (changes in the plot) as part of the adaptation process. We must wake up to the reality that cinema, being a completely different idiom of storytelling, requires a completely different handling of the material. Just chant to yourself every day, twice a day until you are soothed and your breathing returns to normal: This is not MY film–it’s Peter’s film. This is not MY film–it’s Peter’s film." (quote from that page)

"It's official. Saruman dies during The Two Towers in a very unique way, via the magic of cinematic adaptation. We have proof of exactly what was going on in the now notorious photo that appeared in a Wellington newspaper last August. It showed a bedraggled, upended white wizard lanced clean through on a massive spiked wheel. Poor sod." (quote from that page)
There was a link to a news article about this image. It meant having to really read the article rather than skim it so I kept it a bonus questions. Click on the image at that page to see a larger version.

Finding a Hobbit’s Voice 08/01/02

Sam is a kind of mirror for my own soul, I feel. (quote from that page)
One of the more interesting jobs I enjoy is consulting for Universal Interactive, who are currently putting together their console video game for The Fellowship of the Ring due at the end of 2002. Their games are based on the books, not the movies – and the guys in marketing wanted some "professional Tolkien geekiness" within their fold; and so here I am helping them along with website content, etc. (quote from that page)
they requested me directly to be the Voice of Samwise Gamgee (quote from that page)

For the Love of Arwen 09/15/03

Now it is time for my apology. Liv Tyler, if you are out there, if you are reading this, I Quickbeam sincerely apologize to you. I was not a selfless person a few years ago… not at all. But seeing your performance has touched a deeper chord in me. I am so sorry for being unkind.

An Open Letter to Jeffrey Wells 04/25/01

Jeffrey Wells, I am calling you out right now!

I am amazed at your insolence. And your sweeping judgments. And most of all I am shocked at your attempt to pass off your recent "Hollywood Confidential" column as entertainment journalism… or whatever the hell it’s supposed to be. This Gamble of the Rings offal that you have foisted upon us is riddled with errors and assumptions as broad as a bus.

Congratulations, Jeffrey. In one fell swoop you’ve insulted millions of intelligent and thoughtful genre fans around the globe, while at the same time leaving your credibility twisting in the wind.

Your attitude toward the fans is indefensible. Instead of showing some basic understanding of the Tolkien fan community, you give us cheap stereotypes galore! Why are "geeks and pre-teens" the only people who read Lord of the Rings? What is that all about? (quote from that page)

Earl found a copy on the Wayback Machine. I also found one copied on a forum. I wonder if we shouldn't grab this article before it falls off the face of the net.

There was some heated discussion on the old boards about this review and Quickbeam's reaction. A link to that is in the article. I thought about posting it here but I was afraid it would swamp the old server to have too many people clicking on it. But I think it's worth perusing as you can see the change in temperament between different eras of the board.

weaver, Altaira, Alassëa Eruvande, and fairelvenlady have played and thus earned the coveted medallion for this round:

Grey would work well for adding it to your footer and cream works for an avatar. If you'd like another color background, let me know. It's easy enough to do. For help in using it as an avatar or footer - see the link in my footer.

Anyone who plays after this post is still welcome to grab an image.

Look for another soon.

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 21 2009, 5:25pm

Post #16 of 33 (788 views)
Shortcut
Me too -- we can hang out in the back of the room together!.. [In reply to] Can't Post

But nice to know the answers are around if we get stuck...Smile

Weaver

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 21 2009, 5:39pm

Post #17 of 33 (782 views)
Shortcut
Mind if I hang out in the back with you guys? // [In reply to] Can't Post

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for August

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 21 2009, 5:44pm

Post #18 of 33 (764 views)
Shortcut
Well, you're all going to miss the good stuff over at GreenBooks. :P // [In reply to] Can't Post

weathertop
Lorien

Aug 21 2009, 5:50pm

Post #19 of 33 (753 views)
Shortcut
hows that? [In reply to] Can't Post

thought you said 'no deadlines....'

i knew i should never trust a flitting bird!

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 21 2009, 6:18pm

Post #20 of 33 (754 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

How's this?

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 21 2009, 6:39pm

Post #21 of 33 (757 views)
Shortcut
I just referring to... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the concept of hanging at the back of the room with no intention of answering. In that case, you'll miss the good stuff. (being not the medallion but the material at GreenBooks). Sorry to be confusing.

There are no deadlines. There are barely any rules. And.. the cake is a lie.

batik
Tol Eressea

Aug 22 2009, 4:39am

Post #22 of 33 (736 views)
Shortcut
*favorite-d* this link a few months ago... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I don't remember why...some mention of the "green books"...ticklers....I don't know.

So before I get what I just read, some answers

1. The absence of profanity, guns, and sex beckons him back to Tolkien. I don't think I could disagree with anything written in that article.
2. and 3. "Ye--s" found in a fogged up mirror in answer to "do balrogs have wings?"
4. The chant--to accept the difference and be able to enjoy the fims.
5.Oops...forgot about this one but a guess from reading through the articles...Sam?
6."professional Tolkien geekiness" Evil
7. voice of Sam
8. Liv Tyler
9. Jeffrey Wells for being an a...I mean for his insolence--stereotyping...

Oh--the reviews of the films...that's probably why I saved the link.

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 22 2009, 6:43pm

Post #23 of 33 (744 views)
Shortcut
not to worry, we're hanging out in the back reading Green Books!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Weaver

fairelvenlady
Rivendell

Aug 23 2009, 2:47am

Post #24 of 33 (731 views)
Shortcut
Thaks! It's such a nice medallion.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 23 2009, 3:38pm

Post #25 of 33 (745 views)
Shortcut
No deadline means: [In reply to] Can't Post

even if this thread falls off the first page, if you participate in this hunt - you are eligible for the medallion. Just wanted to get that out there before it does fall off the first page.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.