Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD - 'As far as the eye can see'

Artanis
Rohan

Aug 17 2009, 8:03pm

Post #1 of 16 (392 views)
Shortcut
SCOD - 'As far as the eye can see' Can't Post

Welcome to Monday's SCOD. I love this part of the film as things really start to heat up between the Fellowship members.

Todays screencap is focused on Gimli, who is none too happy when he is told by Aragorn they are to go 'north into Mordor'. His indignant reply reminds Aragorn that to go this way they will face 'an inpassable labrynth of razor sharp rocks...and stinking marshlands as far as the eye can see".

1. Do you think Gimli is overreacting to Aragorn's plans especially considering Aragorn himself seems so calm and determined?

2. Take a look at Gimli's eyes, what do you see, fear, anger or just concern for the Fellowship?

3. Did you notice Sam in the background? He dozes off during the banter, and yet he appears to be clutching his sword, what do you think is his biggest concern at that moment?

4. Any other thoughts/comments?

Artanis

LordotRings93
Rohan

Aug 17 2009, 8:15pm

Post #2 of 16 (215 views)
Shortcut
SCOD [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Do you think Gimli is overreacting to Aragorn's plans especially considering Aragorn himself seems so calm and determined?

Gimli is somewhat overreacting. But, who can blame him, as we see how dangerous Emyn Muil and the Dead Marshes are from TTT.

2. Take a look at Gimli's eyes, what do you see, fear, anger or just concern for the Fellowship?

I'd say all three.

3. Did you notice Sam in the background? He dozes off during the banter, and yet he appears to be clutching his sword, what do you think is his biggest concern at that moment?

I don't think Sam trusts this place, and knows that an evil is lurking in the woods.

4. Any other thoughts/comments?

Very good questions. Smile

The HUGEST Lord of the Rings fan ever!
Owner of all Lord of the Rings merchandise.
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

sador
Half-elven

Aug 17 2009, 8:19pm

Post #3 of 16 (237 views)
Shortcut
As far as my eyes can see [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no picture or link in your post. Pirate

"For now the Kindler, Varda, the Queen of Stars, from Mount Everwhite has uplifted her hands like clouds, and all paths are drowned deep in shadow" - Galadriel's farewell song.

Artanis
Rohan

Aug 17 2009, 8:30pm

Post #4 of 16 (207 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it really not there? Shocked

Please pm me if there is a problem, sorry! Blush

Artanis

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 17 2009, 8:51pm

Post #5 of 16 (208 views)
Shortcut
Looks ok to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems to be working fine now -- I see Gimli anyway!

???

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 17 2009, 9:01pm

Post #6 of 16 (214 views)
Shortcut
"and after that, it gets even better!" [In reply to] Can't Post

That line is a favorite catch phrase around our home that has lingered on since the heyday of the films...it's surprising how often it comes in handy!

I liked that they gave Gimli the exposition line here, rather than Legolas...it's a nice approach, as we both learn a bit about the road they have to take, and I think Gimli's doing a bit of a stress-relieving here, in his own way. Every one is pretty tense, and I think Gimli knows that this is what everyone's thinking, and he's just going to blurt it out to get it out on table so they can start to deal with it.

It's a nice shot of JRD, too -- though that helmet always makes him look a bit cross-eyed, doesn't it?

Weaver

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 17 2009, 9:35pm

Post #7 of 16 (243 views)
Shortcut
Is Sam dozing? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought he was huddling into his own hurts here - curling up in a corner and trying to not worry about Frodo or the situation they're in, and not paying attention to where Frodo is (until he realises with a start, along with everyone else, that Frodo's missing).

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

sador
Half-elven

Aug 18 2009, 7:16am

Post #8 of 16 (191 views)
Shortcut
Funny [In reply to] Can't Post

Just had a short break, and opened your post on my work computer, and saw the picture nice and clear! Only my home computer caused problems... hmmm.

Anyway, what i wonder about this scene, is how does Gimli know the way to Mordor so well? When has he last been down that road?

And about Sam - well, he was not dozing, but asleeo; which explains his surprise when Gollum leaded them through the Dead Marshes. Tongue

"For now the Kindler, Varda, the Queen of Stars, from Mount Everwhite has uplifted her hands like clouds, and all paths are drowned deep in shadow" - Galadriel's farewell song.

Artanis
Rohan

Aug 18 2009, 12:18pm

Post #9 of 16 (183 views)
Shortcut
Yes.. [In reply to] Can't Post

it's quite incredible that a stout Dwarf such as Gimli has those real fears, and yet our dear Frodo and Sam are the ones to travel through those very places.

Artanis

Artanis
Rohan

Aug 18 2009, 12:21pm

Post #10 of 16 (185 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha [In reply to] Can't Post

yes we love bringing out the catch phrases at home tooLaugh I'm glad it wasn't just me thinking that 'Gimli' often looked cross eyed!!

Artanis

Artanis
Rohan

Aug 18 2009, 12:24pm

Post #11 of 16 (185 views)
Shortcut
I must admit.. [In reply to] Can't Post

that in that particular shot Sam isn't dozing. But when I watched the scene last night ...all for TORn SCOD business reasons of course..not at all to feed my LOTR obsession!Sly...well when I watched it, as Gimli is talking it appeared he fell asleep...could be wrong though. Smile

Artanis

Artanis
Rohan

Aug 18 2009, 12:29pm

Post #12 of 16 (181 views)
Shortcut
To be honest [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not at all technically minded with computers so when I read you couldn't see the pic I wasn't too suprised!!!!! LOL. Thankfully my husband is somewhat geeky about LOTR too and helped me with picture....so if it hadn't been there I'd have blamed him!!Wink

I'm definately going to have to watch the scene again Sly and see if Sam does fall asleep. I do wonder if he is genuinely tired, or just wants to shut out the bickering going on between his friends.

Artanis

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 18 2009, 12:43pm

Post #13 of 16 (210 views)
Shortcut
Gimli's giving vital information [In reply to] Can't Post

here that Sam's hearing... eventhough he's still upset about being dissed by Frodo (hence, sitting alone). Sam got info eavesdropping at the Council of Elrond and here where he's getting information that helps him deal with going to Mordor, imho... and understanding more of what Frodo's up against. The only info he didn't get in the film version is what Galadriel talked with Frodo about that he got in the book.

I also love how Pippin's drinking everything in. He, too, is being armed with how complex and dangerous all of this is. I wonder if he remembered this moment when he was with Gandalf on the balcony of Minas Tirith thinking about Frodo and Sam?

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Aug 18 2009, 12:43pm)

Artanis
Rohan

Aug 18 2009, 7:54pm

Post #14 of 16 (203 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I almost touched on Pippin as although he is quite literally stuffing his dear Hobbit mouth with food, he is quite attentive to Gimli's conversation. Billy Boyd does a fantastic job as always, as without even saying a word but using facial expression alone he really adds so much to this scene.

Artanis

FarFromHome
Valinor

Aug 20 2009, 1:57pm

Post #15 of 16 (199 views)
Shortcut
Sam's on-and-off dozing [In reply to] Can't Post

seems to be the result of two different takes being cut together! But it kind of works anyway - I think he's half-dozing, half checking out his gear, and just generally depressed and unhappy. I like Ataahua's phrase, "huddling into his own hurts". This is the day after Frodo rejected his help (in the EE scene - "you can't help me, Sam. Not this time."). It's a foreshadowing of everything that's going to happen on the Stairs of Cirith Ungol, but so subtle that you can easily overlook it. And as on the Stairs of Cirith Ungol, Sam ends up having to make a mighty, last-minute effort to overcome Frodo's rejection and go help him anyway.

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled, the sigh and murmur of the Sea
upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Artanis
Rohan

Aug 20 2009, 9:23pm

Post #16 of 16 (156 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam is wonderful isn't he - even when rejected. I think he is the sort of friend we would all like.

Artanis

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.