Tolkien's illustrations and the Hobbit films

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Aug 15 2009, 4:24am

Post #1 of 16 (2346 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's illustrations and the Hobbit films Can't Post

Hi folks--

I've been reading "The Annotated Hobbit" lately and realized just how many illustrations and drawings Tolkien himself made for the book. It's particularly interesting to see Tolkien's vision of the setting of the book, and compare it with what I had in my own mind from reading it previously.

I was also clued in to the existence of the book "J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator" which focuses exclusively on Tolkien's illustrations. I plan to get that one eventually but I've got other money priorities right now.

But it also got me hoping that the filmmakers and conceptual artists working on the Hobbit film will refer to Tolkien's actual illustrations when designing sets and picking locations for The Hobbit.

Has anyone here had a look at the "Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator" book? If so, how much of Tolkien's illustration concepts do you think made it into the LOTR films? I'm wondering if we can infer from that what can be expected for The Hobbit, seeing that they're tapping the same pool of conceptual artists.

http://mgoble.tripod.com/SOTR/The_Sword_of_the_Rings.htm

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 15 2009, 4:45am

Post #2 of 16 (2064 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's illustrations were discussed at length [In reply to] Can't Post

...in the Reading Room, in 2007. Here's a list of links to the various discussion threads.

Although his illustrations are wonderful in their way, I suspect they're mostly a bit too whimsical for what Jackson and Del Toro have in mind. Personally, I adore his "Smaug".

The Rohirrim, by Peter Xavier Price

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 15 2009, 8:49am

Post #3 of 16 (2157 views)
Shortcut
I have that book [In reply to] Can't Post

It's fascinating and, as Elizabeth said, a lot more whimsical than the movies. You can tell that in his mind, Tolkien really was Bilbo. He absolutely has a hobbit's mentality, and his artwork is charming but not good enough to hang in a museum. Anyway, I'm glad I bought it.

I doubt his art will influence The Hobbit very much, though. It certainly didn't influence the LotR films, and GdT is using the same design team PJ had and trying to stay fairly close to PJ's vision. But like I said, Tolkien wasn't a professional artist. You'll have a much better film if you follow his words rather than his sketches, and leave the design work to folks like Alan Lee and John Howe.

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

(This post was edited by Kyriel on Aug 15 2009, 8:53am)

Curious
Half-elven

Aug 15 2009, 12:53pm

Post #4 of 16 (2084 views)
Shortcut
I wish they would pay more attention to Tolkien's illustrations. [In reply to] Can't Post

And perhaps in The Hobbit they will, since he illustrated so much of it. But they have already gone a different direction with Rivendell.

Perhaps my favorite Tolkien illustration is a Nasmith version of Tolkien's illustration of Rivendell. Here's Tolkien's version:

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Aug 15 2009, 9:31pm)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 15 2009, 3:42pm

Post #5 of 16 (2016 views)
Shortcut
What surprised you about Tolkien's own illustrations? [In reply to] Can't Post

How did the images in your mind differ from what Tolkien painted?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Silmarillion in the Reading Room, Aug. 9 - Mar 7. Please join the conversation!

This week: "Ainulindalė".
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 15 2009, 7:07pm

Post #6 of 16 (2023 views)
Shortcut
Kind of OT and [In reply to] Can't Post

Just yesterday picked up a journal called "The Tolkien Diary 1992" at one of the many fine used book stores in town. It is one of those daybooks or calendar things featuring several of Tolkien's illustrations and drawings (including the one of Smaug that Elizabeth mentioned).

Looking at some of Tolkien's drawings (Rivendell for instance), one can see that Lee et al were at least moved by them when drawing ME.

Curious
Half-elven

Aug 16 2009, 12:33am

Post #7 of 16 (1994 views)
Shortcut
And here's Nasmith's version: [In reply to] Can't Post

tennie75
Lorien

Aug 16 2009, 1:10am

Post #8 of 16 (1964 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's version does look more tra-la-la-la-lally// [In reply to] Can't Post

.Ithilwen.
Rivendell

Aug 16 2009, 2:12am

Post #9 of 16 (1971 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I've even seen this...
And I was on a hunt for some of his drawings the other day.

I never quite imagined Rivendell looking like that. I think it's absoutley amazing to see how different all of Tolkien's drawings compared to a lot of the other artists and the movies.

And I never imagined Lorien looking like this.

Live...Love...ROCK!
\m/

9500 words (and growing!) of pure fandom:
http://www.lotrfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=12544

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 16 2009, 4:18am

Post #10 of 16 (1973 views)
Shortcut
Can you describe how Tolkien's drawing differs [In reply to] Can't Post

...from what you had previously imagined?

We're discussing The Silmarillion in the Reading Room, Aug. 9 - Mar 7. Please join the conversation!

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 16 2009, 10:39am

Post #11 of 16 (1952 views)
Shortcut
It's hard to find Tolkien's artwork online these days :-( [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to have a bunch of pictures on my site, and Rolozo Tolkien had even more on his. Then we both got nasty e-mails from the Tolkien estate lawyers and had to take them down. That site where Curious found his Rivendell pic had better be on the lookout!

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

.Ithilwen.
Rivendell

Aug 16 2009, 1:10pm

Post #12 of 16 (1930 views)
Shortcut
I suppose [In reply to] Can't Post

since I watched the movies before reading LotR everything I pictured while reading was heavily influenced by those images. And then, when I take a peek at Tolkien's drawings I go "Is that what it's really supposed to look like?"

It's just fascinating to see how people, even the author, imagines Middle-Earth.

Live...Love...ROCK!
\m/

9500 words (and growing!) of pure fandom:
http://www.lotrfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=12544

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 16 2009, 4:23pm

Post #13 of 16 (1936 views)
Shortcut
Indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Reading Room leaned on this site for our 2007 discussion of Tolkien's illustrations (and of other artists who'd illustrated Tolkien's work).

And I encourage people to buy the collection, J.R.R. Tolken: Artist & Illustrator, by Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull, an essential collection of his painting.

Voronwė_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 16 2009, 6:20pm

Post #14 of 16 (1930 views)
Shortcut
I'm surprised [In reply to] Can't Post

That that page is still up there, given what Kyriel said.

In any event, I second your encouragement to people to purchase Artist & Illustrator, an essential work not just for the illustrations themselves, but the loads of fascinating commentary, as would be expected from Hammond and Scull.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Aug 17 2009, 8:27am

Post #15 of 16 (1926 views)
Shortcut
Subtle differences, mostly [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of the things in Tolkien's drawings brought a new perspective to what I had imagined. Things like the thickness of the forest around the Elven-King's halls, the width of the valley of Rivendell, or the appearance of the forest river. Some of it is the lighting he used. Beorn's house was a bit different for me because when I first read it, I imagined the kind of large countryside house I was familiar with from movies and TV, but then I realized that Tolkien had envisioned an Anglo-Saxon style hall, similar to the great hall of Edoras in TTT. Other things were spot-on like I imagined, such as Mirkwood and the Misty Mountains.

Also, the last time I read the hobbit before now, it was in Spanish about 5 years ago, and adding a layer of foreign language (exquisitely translated of course) gives it a different feel, but since Spanish isn't my native tongue I would miss things in translation, or I'd get distracted when I'd look up an unfamiliar word (which was pretty often). And the time before that was in 1993 when I was 14, and I was reading it for like the 2nd or 3rd time and trying to reconcile that with a garbled memory of seeing the Hobbit and LOTR cartoons once maybe 5 or 6 years earlier. So I've had a vastly different experience with the book each time I've read it.

But reading an illustrated version of the book this time around has really
enriched it for me, particularly seeing the collection of diverse illustrations from different countries and editions.

I think Guillermo once said something to the effect that his memory of reading the hobbit when he was kid was bigger than what was actually in the text, and that he wanted to film part of what was in his memory, or the impression he got of it. I've had a similar experience on occasion while reading the hobbit.

http://mgoble.tripod.com/SOTR/The_Sword_of_the_Rings.htm

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 17 2009, 2:15pm

Post #16 of 16 (1912 views)
Shortcut
There's another book, "Pictures by J.R.R. Tolkien" [In reply to] Can't Post

published by Allen & Unwin in 1979 (US version) of Tolkien's illustrations mainly from The Hobbit & LotR stories. It's in the format to accompany an exhibit; but it has large coloured pics that are good enough to frame along with a description of the piece on an adjoining page. At the back of the book are other sketches of patterns, Elvish script, trees, heraldic devices, etc. It's recently been republished.

I also have the Artist and Illustrations book, and it really is a treasure-trove of Tolkien's talent and personalit(y/ies). :)

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.