Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Eowyn's Funeral Gown?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 8 2009, 7:13pm

Post #1 of 18 (13413 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Eowyn's Funeral Gown? Can't Post

This dress is very similar in shape to her green gown. The main change is in the style of the collar. Here, we have a standing Mandarin style collar. The sleeves are slightly different in shape, as well. But again we have a long, cotton velvet dress, with a brocade underskirt and collar. There are very likely matching tight undersleeves, but I don't have any pictures to confirm one way or the other. The front of the dress is split open to either side, creating a front panel that she could tuck up into her belt (like with the green gown) except that she never wears this dress like that. There is a gold or taupe pattern printed on the velvet, very likely custom done in Ngila's studio.

This gown was on display at FIDM (Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising) as part of their yearly display of the best in film costumes. I think this picture really shows the printing on the dress best.

Kathy S. drew up the design for those trying to replicate this costume. It might be a little clearer for some.

She wears the same belt as with her green gown.

Over this at the funeral, she wears a large wool mantle with embroidered trimming along the front opening. As with many of the other cloaks we've seen, this one is a large half circle of fabric that's draped over her shoulders and pinned onto the dress.

This shot not only shows you the pins used to hold it to the dress (those large medallions on either side), but it's also a great shot of the collar. If you look closely, along the lower edge of this brocade you should be able to see some gold lace, though it's the same color as the collar fabric so the two tend to blend together. This is also a great shot of her necklace. You'll see this brooch again when we talk about her traveling coat. This is also a great shot of the embroidery on her cloak. Can you see the five pointed "Flower of Rohan"? It's a design that Ngila created for Eowyn. It repeats in her circlet, in the flower necklace she often wears, and on the embroidery of Eowyn's riding gown and coronation gown.

And a picture of her "wound" hair, just because I love it. Cool You'll see that she's wearing the same circlet she wears with her coronation gown.

If you'd like to learn more or see more images (or even just the same images, but bigger!) I urge you to pop over to The Costumer's Guide and Alley Cat Scratch for more details.

So, any thoughts on this dress?

Did You Ever Notice? is a running series taking a look at some of the details in LOTR one costume at a time. It appears on no particular day and follows absolutely no order. Look for me when you see me. In the meantime, you can always find previous discussions over at my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for August

Artanis
Rohan

Aug 8 2009, 8:15pm

Post #2 of 18 (9137 views)
Shortcut
WOW [In reply to] Can't Post

..............reading through all that my mouth was wide open..........wow.Shocked The whole thing is absolutely beautiful. I must say it again that these are the sorts of dresses I would *love* to wear every day.

Love the wound hair too, truly lovely.

The embroidery and the necklace are stunning.

Artanis

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 8 2009, 9:52pm

Post #3 of 18 (9100 views)
Shortcut
This is stunning, and as lovely as the green dress [In reply to] Can't Post

which is my favourite. They are similar, but this one is so polished and distinguished. Perfectly appropriate for the somber occasion, but still elegant with her simple flowered headband. You're right! It's the same one she wore to the Coronation :D

I had not noticed the pattern. It's surprisingly simple, but reflects the tone and pattern of much of the Rohirric design. Her belt and the patterns remind me of Theoden's crownpiece and many of the emblems in Meduseld.

This is wonderful, as always, Arwen's daughter. Geez I love these profiles of the costumes. Thank you so much!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 9 2009, 2:11am

Post #4 of 18 (9060 views)
Shortcut
Lovely ..... [In reply to] Can't Post

.Ithilwen.
Rivendell

Aug 9 2009, 1:45pm

Post #5 of 18 (9024 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely beautiful! Now, this is defiantly one of my favorite costumes!
I never realized the print on the dress. It goes to show how much Ngila put into the costumes.

Thanks for all the info on the costumes...

Live...Love...ROCK!
\m/

9500 words (and growing!) of pure fandom:
http://www.lotrfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=12544

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Aug 9 2009, 4:57pm

Post #6 of 18 (9069 views)
Shortcut
Do you know if Miranda was given any of the dresses to keep? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Arwen got to keep her red gown.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

ringers rock!
Rivendell

Aug 10 2009, 2:24am

Post #7 of 18 (9049 views)
Shortcut
finally my favorite! [In reply to] Can't Post

oooOOOo, the dark horse in me *loves* dress. Like Artanis I'd love to wear these gowns each and every day, but I would definitely don dark tones rich in pattern like this one. In particular the collar is my favorite, draped in that heavy chainlink necklace...so elegant, severe and dramatic. Her hair is perfect. Probably not what Dickson was going for but it reminds me so much of Lady Macbeth, my heroine Evil

debo
Rohan

Aug 10 2009, 6:31am

Post #8 of 18 (9008 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely beautiful!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the lovely pictures.

Frodo; "What I chiefly need now is courage . . ."

batik
Tol Eressea

Aug 11 2009, 12:07am

Post #9 of 18 (9026 views)
Shortcut
warm and rich [In reply to] Can't Post

Little resemblence, I know, but Eowyn's necklace reminded me of this piece of my mom's "costume jewelry".

Funny, how the color of the gown (and the cloak) seems to change in the lighting (at least on the screens I am using). Kind of adds some *life* to the fabics, imo.
This is so much more formal than anything else I remember Eowyn wearing--seems to have a lot more weight to it. Looks warmer and more "rich".
And, yes, another costume in which the details went right by me while watching the scenes.

Buchanicus
Lorien

Aug 11 2009, 12:18am

Post #10 of 18 (9016 views)
Shortcut
I just want to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it when you post these threads!

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 11 2009, 1:45pm

Post #11 of 18 (9016 views)
Shortcut
Like others, I never realized that this dress had such a lovely pattern... [In reply to] Can't Post

That is one amazing creation -- thanks!

Weaver

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 14 2009, 4:33am

Post #12 of 18 (8983 views)
Shortcut
I would love to wear dresses like these every day, too [In reply to] Can't Post

But can you imagine what our dry-cleaning bills would look like each month! Tongue

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 14 2009, 4:36am

Post #13 of 18 (8979 views)
Shortcut
The green dress is my favorite, too [In reply to] Can't Post

As I'm sure some around here have guessed Wink. The filmmakers deliberately distressed the green gown a lot further than most of her other costumes to show how Rohan was deteriorating. While the contrast between that dress and this one isn't huge, I do think it's neat.

I'll admit, I never noticed the pattern until I flipped through the EE galleries the first time. Too bad the lighting was so poor in Rohan. Cool

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 14 2009, 4:38am

Post #14 of 18 (8966 views)
Shortcut
None that I'm aware of [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'll admit that I haven't watched all of the featurettes on the ROTK EE. I guess I don't want it to end, so I never seem to watch them all.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 14 2009, 4:40am

Post #15 of 18 (8946 views)
Shortcut
Lady Macbeth! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a perfect comparison. I'd never noticed it before, but you're totally right.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 14 2009, 4:46am

Post #16 of 18 (8977 views)
Shortcut
Ooh pretty [In reply to] Can't Post

I can totally see why that necklace reminds you of Eowyn's. What a great piece!

Yes, the lighting does change these fabrics quite a bit, doesn't it? When I watch this costume on screen, it looks so close to black! The pattern hardly shows up, at all.

To my eye, even her coronation dress wasn't this formal. It definitely seems to be a dress Eowyn reserves only for the most important occassions. It feels, I don't know, better kept (?) than most of her other dresses. I wonder where she stores her gowns to keep them clean and keep them from getting all wrinkled?

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 14 2009, 4:47am

Post #17 of 18 (8946 views)
Shortcut
Thanks -- I'm glad you guys enjoy them! // [In reply to] Can't Post

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 14 2009, 4:53am

Post #18 of 18 (9013 views)
Shortcut
*Here's an interesting observation: [In reply to] Can't Post

I was looking back over some of Eowyn's costumes this week, and we talked previously about Eowyn's riding gown from ROTK. It looks to me like the pattern from her belt is the same as the embroidery on her cloak here! Something I've never noticed before.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.