Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Book cover reveal for Doug Adams' book & catch up news

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 24 2009, 11:27pm

Post #1 of 7 (255 views)
Shortcut
Book cover reveal for Doug Adams' book & catch up news Can't Post

Doug has just posted an image of his upcoming book, "The Music of the LOTR Films".

Visit his blog entry to see a larger version of this.

A recent comment from Doug:
Looks like the book should be in the neighborhood of 225 A4+ pages (or so).
Pricing should be figured out this week.
Don't know where we stand on an autographed version, though there has been some talk recently. Again, we should know more after meetings this week.

I quite like it. It's similar to a book cover I designed when I was in school.

Other News:

The Rarities Archive
will be contained on one CD.
Listening to it, Doug said:
Sounding amazing! The disc is a combination of pieces that we already know--with some markedly new turns, pieces we've never heard before, and Shore's early versions of thematic content... and a little extra bonus or two.

Doug recently posted a challenge/treat for fans of the score: The Twelve Days of the Ring.

LOTR soundtrack website : TTT Lyrics Update May 09
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 25 2009, 1:37pm

Post #2 of 7 (111 views)
Shortcut
Its Perfect!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, Magpie! It's matches the feels and theme of the eedvd covers and that warm, elegant feel of Middle-earth. I love the rich brown colour he's chosen! I find myself tearing up with gratitude and the feeling that we haven't come to the end of celebrating the films and Tolkien. But to focus on Howard Shore's contribution to the beauty and success of re-creating Tolkien's world is so thrilling. I sincerely believe Shore's work is what gave the films their soul to Peter's filmic heart.

Thank you for this! I'm beyond excited about finally having Doug Adam's extensive, devoted work of love!! It feels like waiting for one of the films to release. I've missed that feeling. It's a good life-line until The Hobbit is released :)

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 25 2009, 6:07pm

Post #3 of 7 (117 views)
Shortcut
waiting... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for this! I'm beyond excited about finally having Doug Adam's extensive, devoted work of love!! It feels like waiting for one of the films to release. I've missed that feeling. It's a good life-line until The Hobbit is released :)

Yes, I agree. I realized that I was getting excited about this event in a way I hadn't since anticipating the release of ROTK (movie). I also thought that maybe they'll do a big RCMH event for TTT Live and ROTK Live. If they stay on a similar schedule, we can anticipate ROTK Live just a few months before the release of The Hobbit (part 1).

I could actually get shivers in anticipation of hearing the music for the destruction of Barad-dur. the eagles rescue of the Hobbits, the Green Dragon toast, and Sam's return home. Those pieces often bring tears to my eyes when listening through headphones. Can you imagine sitting in a huge hall with Howard and Doug and 100 of your closest TORnsibs (and hundreds of other friends in Tolkien) watching a huge screen and listening to live versions of all these scenes? I don't know. I think our hearts could burst or something.

That's my dream, anyhow. :-)

(not the actual bursting of hearts, of course)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 25 2009, 6:45pm

Post #4 of 7 (150 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not just for the good news about the book, but for the Twelve Days treat. What fun! And intimidating, too -- I can play some of the themes on the piano, but compared to Doug's playing mine sounds like Bill the Pony tromping across the keyboard.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 25 2009, 8:40pm

Post #5 of 7 (121 views)
Shortcut
I told Doug that... [In reply to] Can't Post

that 12 Days thing could seriously trigger my OCD tendency towards wanting to figure out patterns.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 25 2009, 10:56pm

Post #6 of 7 (126 views)
Shortcut
Me too, Magpie :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm expecting massive emotions during this concert. It's perfect that so many of us will be there to share it. Like you, the music brings me to tears, or chuckles, so many times... Arwen's vision, her race with Frodo to the Ford, the great realm of Dwarrowdelf, Sam and Frodo on the rocks above the lava flow... too many to name. The Shire music undoes me whenever I hear it. I'll be taking tons of tissues and expect to be quite a mess by the end. I'll also know to start saving for the next two releases of Doug Adam's work and the (crosses fingers) corresponding concerts.

These are magical times that fill me to overflowing.

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 26 2009, 7:08pm

Post #7 of 7 (225 views)
Shortcut
Latest status of pending LOTR score projects [In reply to] Can't Post

Quite a few months back I reported that a number of LOTR projects were in the works. These included Doug's book, a Rarities Archive (published separately), a boxed set of all three Complete Recordings and a super box set of all of these items packaged together.

Well, as all creative endeavors go, this one has evolved. What is now pending for release is Doug's book packaged with a CD that includes the Rarities Archive.

Doug discussed the evolution and thinking behind the evolution in his most recent blog entry: http://themusicofthelordoftheringsfilms.blogspot.com/...7/way-of-future.html

Most of that is probably of greatest interest to the diehard score fan but these points might interest more general fans.
It sounds like the book is slated for paperback with the option of hardcover being discussed this week
The CD is audio only and just under 80 minutes in length. Quoting from Doug:
The goal of The Rarities has always been to present something both revealing and beautiful. "Revealing" in that you'll hear music that A) you've never heard before and B) will help you to understand Shore's musical process on the LOTR films. "Beautiful" in that we've striven to present something aesthetically unified and pleasing.

The one-disc Rarities is designed to allow the unused music to become something artful -- an album that you can put on and either analyze or bask in.
Release date - Quoting from Doug
We'll debut the book at Radio City in October, but I'm not sure which day. Obviously we'll have it available on Oct. 9 for the first show, but we may also do a signing on Oct. 8. I'm really not even involved with such things... I mean, I'll be there, I'm just letting more capable people plan out the details. I'll keep you updated as publicists inform me.

And for anyone reading this that doesn't already know, October 9th is the first RCMH concert which the book is being released in conjunction with.
Pertinent links for RCMH are:
LOTR RCMH Concert Official Site have you caught the new content which includes
TORn's RCMH Moot Thread

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.