Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
tORN at Comic Con - GdT video message - full house ...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2009, 8:48pm

Post #26 of 45 (464 views)
Shortcut
Yea, the creatures are from WETA's new children's show [In reply to] Can't Post

As for the question, I asked about the differences between the directorial and production process, if he prefers one to another, and what he likes best about both of them. It was, unfortunately, worded a bit less eloquently. I'm afraid I don't quite remember the answer completely- my head was spinning a little Laugh It's nerving to hear your voice speaking back right at you!

Oh, I won something from Sideshow, and it was a 500 dollar giftcard :o And I won a small trivia thing... crown of king Elessar is perty ^^

I said 'hi' to him, shook his hand, and then left him be for the rest of the show XD I couldn't speak to him later because he, Dom, and their friends fled the hall right away. Can't blame them!

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography ~ My LOTR fan fiction

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2009, 8:50pm

Post #27 of 45 (459 views)
Shortcut
They raffled tons of stuff off [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure if CAHobbit or Calsuri will pop in anytime soon with a full list, but it was tons of items over the 4 days. I got lucky to get the grand prize- 500 dollar gift card :D I'm going to see if my brothers want anything with it...

It really was a very fun time- I highly recommend it to any geek out there, whether it's a film geek, book geek, comic geek, art geek, collector geek...

NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Curious
Half-elven

Jul 27 2009, 9:31pm

Post #28 of 45 (459 views)
Shortcut
I think of it as the extended edition of The Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

In general I liked the extended edition of LotR better than the theatrical versions. I think this time, the extended edition of The Hobbit is making it to the theaters, split into two parts because it is so long.

I'm generally okay with the embellishments -- much more so than I was in the LotR movies -- because I'm not completely content with The Hobbit, and, I suggest, neither was Tolkien. I understand that in the process we may lose some of what we love about the first half of the book, which is more of a straightforward children's tale. But I think the end of The Hobbit might work better if the tone were more consistent throughout, and more in line with the tone of LotR.

Tolkien himself revised The Hobbit throughout to make it more of a prequel to LotR, and considered rewriting the whole tale for that reason. I think it is safe to say that if Tolkien had written The Hobbit after LotR, it would have been a very different book, and probably longer as well.

I wonder if they would consider introducing the Elvenking and Bard and the Master and Dain and the thrush and the ravens much earlier in the movies, before Bilbo ever meets them. They have already said that they plan to give five or six of the dwarves more distinctive personalities than they had in the book. I think it would be interesting to give all of the players in the final chapters more backhistories by making the whole story less hobbitcentric, and less dwarfcentric as well.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jul 27 2009, 9:45pm

Post #29 of 45 (463 views)
Shortcut
You won??!?! [In reply to] Can't Post

You won the $500 gift card at Sideshow?! That is spectacular!

Brothers? No no no no no. This is your chance to get something great and amazing. Items like this don't come often so don't pass it. You can acquire a treasure you will keep for years!

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 27 2009, 10:14pm

Post #30 of 45 (446 views)
Shortcut
Wow! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Curious
Half-elven

Jul 27 2009, 10:41pm

Post #31 of 45 (467 views)
Shortcut
You could buy [In reply to] Can't Post

a couple of these polystone dioramas.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 27 2009, 11:45pm

Post #32 of 45 (462 views)
Shortcut
You won!? Excellent!! [In reply to] Can't Post

You can do a lot of damage with a $500 gift certificate! That's so awesome!!! And I'm delighted that he gave you that moment. Always a classy guy :) *twitch*

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2009, 1:39am

Post #33 of 45 (448 views)
Shortcut
Heheh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do have an item selected, but it is only(?!) 200. With the Sideshow warehouse being close enough to walk to, the shipping won't be insane and there is nothing else with the giftcard option I'm insanely interested in, so I'll show some of the options to my siblings *g*

weathertop
Rohan

Jul 28 2009, 5:26am

Post #34 of 45 (440 views)
Shortcut
well if they're not interested... [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

Elven
Valinor

Jul 28 2009, 1:24pm

Post #35 of 45 (435 views)
Shortcut
Thats fantastic AL!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh wow - what a time you had! Extraodinary!
It certainly was the year to hit Comic Con! Ya dun good gal!
Wink

Cheers
Elven

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I wonít write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

deej
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2009, 2:36pm

Post #36 of 45 (452 views)
Shortcut
I was able to snag a few photos and some video of PJ talking about 'The Hobbit' [In reply to] Can't Post

...which I think were just posted on the Home page.

It was a crazy weekend. Got to hang out with some great TORn folks and see just about every panel I wanted to, with the exception of 'True Blood' and the Disney panel - which Johnny Depp showed up to, I hear.

Still very tired... Crazy

"...and back again."

Guillermo
Rivendell

Jul 29 2009, 4:26am

Post #37 of 45 (1387 views)
Shortcut
A few little points- [In reply to] Can't Post

The CHUD report and other reports may need a small clarification-

We ARE working on both screenplays but we plan to deliver the FIRST one in the next few weeks- wrap that up- and then tackle the second one for DELIVERY.

About the TWO HOBBITS I was delighted that the way Peter chose to put it in words was so closely reflects what we've been discussing in these boards for the past few months- check all my past postings.

Oh, BTW the WETA Smaug bronze is a WETA bronze and NOT the film design.

But make no mistake- as I have said before- we have stunning images and models and monsters and oodles of gorgeous gorgeousity my friends. We've been designing and proofing for so long, meeting with WETA for months DAILY and then "slowing down" to TWO TIMES a week.

I was glad to at least greet you all there on a small video... I would have loved to be at COMICON but- we will meet down the road.

ALL THE BEST

GDT

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 29 2009, 4:43am

Post #38 of 45 (555 views)
Shortcut
*makes note* [In reply to] Can't Post

I intend to slip the phrase 'oodles of gorgeous gorgeousity' into conversation at some point...

Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 29 2009, 5:34am

Post #39 of 45 (445 views)
Shortcut
It does have a nice ring to it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we should adopt it into everyday use around here.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jul 29 2009, 6:17am

Post #40 of 45 (442 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the video [In reply to] Can't Post

People LOVED seeing you there while not able to be there. Funny enough we did this thing on Thursday and then I spent much of my time the rest of the weekend listen to PJ talk about all kinds of Hobbit things.

If only they had let us talk on Saturday!

It is coming to YouTube soon so you can see how badly we guessed stuff.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 29 2009, 10:26am

Post #41 of 45 (462 views)
Shortcut
What a way to put it! [In reply to] Can't Post

"It does have a nice ring to it" - Laugh!

But it is a phrase which perfectly describes something which is a feast for the eyes. Smile

We're going to go crazy around here when he begins releasing "teaser" visuals!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Jul 29 2009, 12:05pm

Post #42 of 45 (436 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the clarification [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't usually reply to your posts, because I figure you're busy enough without reading my blatherings. But I think it's very cool that you take the time to keep all the speculation and rumors from running rampant, and that it's coming from you personally, not through layers of staff and press releases.

I know you're working with a lot of brilliant people, so I'm looking forward to seeing the "oodles of gorgeous gorgeousity"!

>we will meet down the road<
I hope so! All the best to you too. Smile

"He will never love me, I fear; for he bit me, and I was not gentle."

deej
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2009, 1:05pm

Post #43 of 45 (435 views)
Shortcut
I would definitely see a film that promised "...oodles of gorgeous gorgeousity"! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks again for the Comic Con video, and the clarification. Smile

"...and back again."

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2009, 2:18pm

Post #44 of 45 (434 views)
Shortcut
Fireworks, Guillermo! Fireworks! [In reply to] Can't Post

(Feeling like the day of the Party will never arrive.)

"What happens now?"

"Well, we wait until nightfall, then Aragorn, Legolas, and I leap out of the rabbit..."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 29 2009, 2:24pm

Post #45 of 45 (429 views)
Shortcut
*waiting to be stunned* This is Thrilling!!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.