Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
tORN at Comic Con - GdT video message - full house ...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elven
Valinor

Jul 24 2009, 9:15am

Post #1 of 45 (673 views)
Shortcut
tORN at Comic Con - GdT video message - full house ... Can't Post

From the tORN HOME Front Page ...
It sounds as if you guys had a fantastic Panel.
Are there any reports from tORN members?
But as said - no Bilbo Baggins announcement.
Great to think that GdT did a video Hi to everyone - very cool!

I hope the PTB will give us their indepth report when they've stopped for a breather Smile

One panel report from G4tv on the tORN panel is online so far:
http://g4tv.com/...-2009-Panel-Archive/

Way to go!
Cheers
Elven

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jul 24 2009, 9:51am

Post #2 of 45 (429 views)
Shortcut
PTB will not be reporting 8) [In reply to] Can't Post

Calisuri was present but he is working at a genuine job here at Comic-Con but, if I ever catch up, I will try to fill you all in.

However, nothing earth shattering but maybe some potential "cools"?

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

diedye
Grey Havens

Jul 24 2009, 12:49pm

Post #3 of 45 (496 views)
Shortcut
Cinema Blend has a report on Comic-Con with the update on The Hobbit on their site... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://chud.com/...IT-UPDATE/Page1.html

Blessed are the cracked,
For they are the ones who let in the light!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 24 2009, 2:13pm

Post #4 of 45 (391 views)
Shortcut
"Potential cools" Count!! Hang in there!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

squire
Half-elven

Jul 24 2009, 2:37pm

Post #5 of 45 (418 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that link to Devin Faraci's report on chud.com.

Here is how he puts Jackson's explanation for the decision to make The Hobbit as two films instead of one: "Jackson said they realized that even at three hours they would lose too much of what makes The Hobbit The Hobbit. On top of that they wanted to embellish some things and they wanted to add extra narrative for Gandalf as he deals with the growing threat of Sauron."

Aren't those two reasons somewhat contradictory? Is three hours not enough because they want to film more Hobbit story details -- or because they want to "embellish" and "add" new material that is not in the book? One could certainly argue that "even at three hours" Jackson lost a lot of what makes The Fellowship of the Ring what it is as a book. Yet somehow he forced himself to cut it in order to keep to the terms of his overall three-film contract.

As Bob Shaye might have put it, "Isn't there just one book? So why not one film?" Up until a few months ago I never heard anyone, from Jackson to the most rabid Hobbit fan, argue that three hours was too short a length for a live-action feature film of The Hobbit. Now suddenly it is.

It still seems to me that the Hobbit producers were locked early into a two-film deal based on Jackson's flighty concept from many years ago: a single Hobbit film and a second "bridge film" based on the appendices. The bridge film then proved impossible to write within the limits of Tolkien's material, and now they have to make the best of a bad situation by justifying post-facto an inflated Hobbit project that is two-thirds as long as The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 24 2009, 4:43pm

Post #6 of 45 (397 views)
Shortcut
I don't necessarily agree with all your points... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is how he puts Jackson's explanation for the decision to make The Hobbit as two films instead of one: "Jackson said they realized that even at three hours they would lose too much of what makes The Hobbit The Hobbit. On top of that they wanted to embellish some things and they wanted to add extra narrative for Gandalf as he deals with the growing threat of Sauron."

Aren't those two reasons somewhat contradictory? Is three hours not enough because they want to film more Hobbit story details -- or because they want to "embellish" and "add" new material that is not in the book? One could certainly argue that "even at three hours" Jackson lost a lot of what makes The Fellowship of the Ring what it is as a book. Yet somehow he forced himself to cut it in order to keep to the terms of his overall three-film contract.

Why should these points be contradictory? People seem to assume The Hobbit can either be adapted to one approximately 3 hour long film (which many find sufficient) or two 3 hour long films making for a 6 hour long adaptation (which many find excessive). Isn't it possible that in order to bring every important aspect of The Hobbit to the screen one could end up with something in-between?

Everyone's using the rules of logic to figure out how much screen time each chapter of the book/stage of the journey should take, but PJ and co. have always been known to think outside the box.

If in their (GDT, PJ, Fran, and Philippa) minds, they see a faithful adaptation of The Hobbit taking 4 hours, I see no reason why they should not take advantage of the fact that they can make two films, and thus add one extra hour of subsidiary storylines conceived by Tolkien himself, and thus come up with two films that run for two and a half hours, and thus accomplish the task of being faithful to the idiosyncracies of the book and making the adaptation start small and innocent and grow into something that can meld into the dark world of LOTR?

As Bob Shaye might have put it, "Isn't there just one book? So why not one film?" Up until a few months ago I never heard anyone, from Jackson to the most rabid Hobbit fan, argue that three hours was too short a length for a live-action feature film of The Hobbit. Now suddenly it is.

It still seems to me that the Hobbit producers were locked early into a two-film deal based on Jackson's flighty concept from many years ago: a single Hobbit film and a second "bridge film" based on the appendices. The bridge film then proved impossible to write within the limits of Tolkien's material, and now they have to make the best of a bad situation by justifying post-facto an inflated Hobbit project that is two-thirds as long as The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Not so. Back when PJ was first interviewed by AICN about The Hobbit, way back when,. he mentioned wanting to expand the story to fit in the journeys of Gandalf and his dealings with the White Council.

FOTR had loads of storyline that had little or no bearing on the fate of the Ring, so to speak, and perhaps PJ though so with The Hobbit as well.

It is only when writing out a treatment that PJ, and now GDT with him, realized that every single stage of The Hobbit is as important, not because it has anything to do with the dwarves' Quest to reclaim their treasure, but because it has a lot of do with Bilbo's journey from innocence to maturity.

I don't for one moment believe that PJ, GDT, Fran, and Philippa would write out AN ENTIRE (SECOND) FILM just because THEY HAVE TO.

I'd never believe that. These people know passion for the material they work with, and it is beyond me to doubt that their motivation can be anything other than a passionate desire to make the best adaptation they can given the material they have.

"Crows and Gibbets! What is the House of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater sires."

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 24 2009, 5:34pm

Post #7 of 45 (403 views)
Shortcut
I'm somewhere between the two of you [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no question that PJ's comment is not contradictory on its face. He first makes the point that by itself The Hobbit material is too extensive to fit in one film and really be true to the source material, and than in addition to that there is other material that they would like to add to it. Whether or not one agrees with that assertion, it is pretty straightforward, and completely consistent with the comments of GdT several months ago that they realized once they laid out the Hobbit storyline in beats that there was too much for one film.

That having been said, I think there is some truth to what Squire is saying. The fact of the matter is that they did get contractually locked into making two films. I have long held that a bridge film would prove impossible to make in a way that was coherent and worthwhile, and I'm not at all surprised that they reached that conclusion. Given those two facts, I doubt it took too much effort to convince themselves that they needed more than one film to do The Hobbit. I have little doubt that a single film twice the length of the Rankin/Bass cartoon would be sufficient to capture enough of what makes The Hobbit The Hobbit. But I am hopeful that the added time available will enable them to capture even more of what makes The Hobbit The Hobbit. I think there is the potential to be quite faithful to the source material, even with the added scenes, and that would make me quite pleased.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

(This post was edited by Voronwë_the_Faithful on Jul 24 2009, 5:36pm)

Elven
Valinor

Jul 24 2009, 6:05pm

Post #8 of 45 (379 views)
Shortcut
... they wanted to add extra narrative for Gandalf .... [In reply to] Can't Post

That caught my attention more so than just the timeline and extension of the film.
I seem to feel Gandalf will be the head Narrator of the films - we wait to see ....

I for one posted way back about 2 films and 2 Directors ... (albeit 1 of them is now producing) ... there were posts about this way back before things became more of a reality.

I have long held that a bridge film would prove impossible to make in a way that was coherent and worthwhile, and I'm not at all surprised that they reached that conclusion. Given those two facts, I doubt it took too much effort to convince themselves that they needed more than one film to do The Hobbit. I have little doubt that a single film twice the length of the Rankin/Bass cartoon would be sufficient to capture enough of what makes The Hobbit The Hobbit. But I am hopeful that the added time available will enable them to capture even more of what makes The Hobbit The Hobbit. I think there is the potential to be quite faithful to the source material, even with the added scenes, and that would make me quite pleased.

Bridge Film - gag! Tongue Wink
A seamless division between all the joints - Im sure they will nail it. I think there is enough story to do 2 films justice.
and I believe that one 3 hour film would not have been enough to embrace the Hobbit - we wont regret this once we have them ... ('once we have them' being the operative word here).
The team proved themselves (to me) anyway, that they know how to work with this material - they have a better understanding to keep it on track than I would trust others to do.

Just some thoughts
Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Jul 24 2009, 7:11pm

Post #9 of 45 (393 views)
Shortcut
Bombadil, Glorfindel and the fox may finally get their moment in the sun!/ [In reply to] Can't Post

"What happens now?"

"Well, we wait until nightfall, then Aragorn, Legolas, and I leap out of the rabbit..."

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jul 24 2009, 9:20pm

Post #10 of 45 (395 views)
Shortcut
Well you can read between the lines [In reply to] Can't Post

But at least read between the lines of what Jackson said, not what Chud said he said.

Jackson said: ‘Well obviously we could squeeze ‘The Hobbit’ into one movie, but In a 3 hour movie you would be amazed at how much of the story you would have to lose.”

There is more to the quote before and after but that is exactly what Jackson said.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 24 2009, 9:59pm

Post #11 of 45 (387 views)
Shortcut
While it's nice to have the exact quote [In reply to] Can't Post

...I don't think that Chud.com mischaracterizes Jackson's remark:

Well obviously we could squeeze ‘The Hobbit’ into one movie, but in a three-hour movie you would be amazed at how much of the story you would have to lose.

by paraphrasing it as:

Jackson said they realized that even at three hours they would lose too much of what makes The Hobbit The Hobbit.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9. Everyone is welcome!

Join us July 20-26 for "The Return Journey".

And sign up for The Silmarillion!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jul 25 2009, 1:16am

Post #12 of 45 (396 views)
Shortcut
I do, slightly [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson talked about parts of the film, plot points, that would be taken out. CHUD talked about what makes the Hobbit the Hobbit which might mean more than plot and could mean characterization or any number of things.

I don't mean that CHUD lied, but I think the small difference is important.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 25 2009, 6:15am

Post #13 of 45 (366 views)
Shortcut
So reading between the lines [In reply to] Can't Post

...as you suggested, we should therefore understand that Jackson believes a three-hour movie of The Hobbit would suffer as compared to a six-hour movie only in terms of plot but not in terms of theme or characterization?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9. Everyone is welcome!

Join us July 20-26 for "The Return Journey".

And sign up for The Silmarillion!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2009, 7:40am

Post #14 of 45 (411 views)
Shortcut
No report... BUT PHOTOS!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry for caps :D

First off:

Front row seat at both the TORn panel and the PJ panel. So pictures = not too bad. Especially since my flash has been funky... anyways, I just sent the link to the spymaster, but you guys reading this can check it out. NO hotlinking :) http://s51.photobucket.com/.../Comic%20Con%202009/

Second off: Guess who sat in the seat right to my right? Elijah. As in our Elijah. For the PJ/James Cameron panel. Why, yes, I did a double take when he (and Dom) quietly snuck out. Oh, and I got to ask PJ a question, which was awesome :D

Third off: Won a Sideshow raffle drawing. Still geeking out over that.

Fourth off: I saw the journal! It looks amazing! I think Garf is going to get people to sign it...

Fifth off: I'm not going to be sleeping tonight Laugh

Enjoy the photos!

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography ~ My LOTR fan fiction

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Jul 25 2009, 8:01am

Post #15 of 45 (375 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Ainu Laire [In reply to] Can't Post

Your photos are great Smile

I'm so jealous though, would have loved to have gone too.

*huggles*
Kel x

Warning: Tigers not colour-fast! Wash separately.

~~~10th Anniversary Thank You Cards to VIP's~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal~~~
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

(This post was edited by Kelvarhin on Jul 25 2009, 8:01am)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2009, 8:52am

Post #16 of 45 (355 views)
Shortcut
Whoohoo [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh my. I was already envious with just the first. Great pictures.
And than you go on with four more points that make me envious.
Geeky hand clapping for you here.
Have fun (but I believe you are already having fun!!)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 25 2009, 12:32pm

Post #17 of 45 (340 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand-clappin and squeeeeeee!!!!!!* [In reply to] Can't Post

Lookit those peeps!!! OMG! What a great seat! AND DOM AND ELIJAH WERE THERE!!! I just love it when our boys hang out together... and there to listen to Peter.... and just THERE!!!!! My hands are shaking!!

Oh Geez, Ainu! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Jul 25 2009, 12:54pm

Post #18 of 45 (345 views)
Shortcut
thank you for the photos, and [In reply to] Can't Post

will there be a way to label them? I don't know most of the players by sight.

Glad you're having such a good time!

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2009, 1:16pm

Post #19 of 45 (329 views)
Shortcut
You got to do WHAT? [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the pics! I get a chuckle out of RIchard Taylor with those creatures in his pocket.

So...what was the question you asked PJ, and what was his answer? Smile

And what did you win from Weta?

And did you say "hi" to Elijah?

Inquiring minds need to know! Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 25 2009, 1:24pm

Post #20 of 45 (345 views)
Shortcut
Oh, Well said, Earl. [In reply to] Can't Post

...every single stage of The Hobbit is as important, not because it has anything to do with the dwarves' Quest to reclaim their treasure, but because it has a lot of do with Bilbo's journey from innocence to maturity.

Trust Peter. I completely agree with you that Peter, Fran, Philippa AND GdT would only handle this project with the respect, reverence and enthusiasm of Tolkien's original story and telling Bilbo's tale. The story isn't a treasure hunt; it's the evolution of an individual... and a stepping stone to preparing for the real Quest of destroying the Ring by Bilbo's heir. It's one whole story.

I'd dearly love to see the entire tale of The Hobbit brought to the screen, but they've shown how page-to-screen adaptations are usually impossible to achieve.

I also remember Peter's dream of expanding the story to tell about the White Council at least. I'm so excited to see what they've come up with! *twitch*

When you consider just a couple of years ago Making The Hobbit Happen was just a hope and a dream, I'm so grateful to have this finally coming to life! I believe in things happening for a reason, and I think this is the time and place for these films with the people intended to create this version of the story. Everything that has happened since the drama of filming The Hobbit began has brought us to this series of events. I believe the right people will be cast to bring these characters to life who may not have been considered if this had been done 3, 4, 5 years ago! Like Viggo coming into place as Aragorn at the last minute. I shudder to think of what LotR would have been like without him. PLUS, we have GdT :) What a gift!

Anyway. Having The Hobbit cover 2 films with expanded storylines and maybe the last 30 minutes or so becoming a sort of bridge leading us to the beginning of LotR [my inference] sounds pretty sweet to me! While I DO want answers and to know what's coming RIGHT NOW... I know they need to take the time for this project to grow, morph, and reveal itself as it's meant to be through their creative process of writing, casting, and developing the characters/creatures for the story to be done right.

sample

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2009, 3:45pm

Post #21 of 45 (356 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved the pictures! I'm not a mod, but I'm going to guess that caps here are more than appropriate. Wink And I can't believe you got to sit next to Elijah!! What was the Sideshow raffle for? Glad you saw the journal-- I hope it has a fun time at ComicCon, too! I'm so excited for yall; I was reading a few articles about it in the paper and Entertainment Weekly, and after getting updates from yall, it's like I'm vicariously at the Con. Glad you're having an *awesome* time! Laugh

Traveling Journal Official Site

"....But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. Last night, I experienced something new, an extraordinary meal from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the meal and its maker have challenged my preconceptions is a gross understatement. They have rocked me to my core. In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto: Anyone can cook. I realize that only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere. "

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 25 2009, 6:13pm

Post #22 of 45 (297 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic! Thanks. // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website : TTT Lyrics Update May 09
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 25 2009, 9:53pm

Post #23 of 45 (334 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations four times over! [In reply to] Can't Post

(I'll skip congratulating you on the fifth.) ;)

Boy did you have a day at the Con! Good on you Ainu!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jul 26 2009, 3:53am

Post #24 of 45 (323 views)
Shortcut
I don't know P.J. believes [In reply to] Can't Post

I just know what he said and that was about elements of the plot.

Or, I am wrong.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2009, 8:44pm

Post #25 of 45 (276 views)
Shortcut
Oh, uh.... [In reply to] Can't Post

At the TORn panel:

Black shirt = Calisuri, or Chris.
Red shirt = MrCere, or Larry
Stuffed animals in pocket = Richard Taylor
Guy with Hat = Quickbeam, or Cliff.
Guy with black shirt and glasses = Ian McKellen's, Andy Serkis, and Sean Astin's website manager. Cool fellow.

And the fellow next to Peter Jackson in the huge hall is James Cameron in the last photo.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography ~ My LOTR fan fiction

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.