Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Thanks for all your advice guys. Edoras has now been reborn

Ttandc
The Shire

Jul 24 2009, 5:37am

Post #1 of 14 (279 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for all your advice guys. Edoras has now been reborn Can't Post

G'day to all

I came onto this forum a while back asking for some general advice on the Edoras set from the movies. With this information I was able to track down and replicate ( as best I could ) the buildings which sat on Mount Sunday ( Edoras ). I did post a thankyou on my original posts but I think the threads are so old that nobody would have seen them so I thought I better post this thread instead as thanks to those who helped :)

A very quick animation was made to show the guys I was building them for and they all seemed to think it was perfect for their needs. The games engine has a few limitations so I had to cut down on a lot of detail but it still turned out ok I think :)

Here is the link to the youtube animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKZyo-LYfew

Thanks to all and kind regards

Ttandc

P.S. I was just making the buildings. I just added a big green hill to better show how the buildings would look on the hill. The ground work is done by the worldbuilder program used by the mapper.

(This post was edited by Ttandc on Jul 24 2009, 5:38am)

Elven
Valinor

Jul 24 2009, 8:42am

Post #2 of 14 (124 views)
Shortcut
That is so cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thankyou for coming back and showing us your work and the the link to Edoras!
That must have taken some time to do - what a great job you have done on it
Are you doing any others?
Cheers
Elven

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 24 2009, 2:12pm

Post #3 of 14 (123 views)
Shortcut
What a great tour :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I found myself imagining I was Gandalf's moth on a tour of the city ;)

I think you've really captured the layout and so much detail! I loved going up the bell tower and coming down above Meduseld... travelling around to the front and back to a bird's-eye view of the whole city. WELL DONE!! :D

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

weathertop
Rohan

Jul 24 2009, 2:35pm

Post #4 of 14 (116 views)
Shortcut
nice... [In reply to] Can't Post

would be neat to see how much detail could have been there...

i sniggered at the mailbox (or was it a birdhouse?) stuck outside the one building...don't think i saw any others. was this an addition of yours?

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 24 2009, 5:15pm

Post #5 of 14 (112 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt as though I was really there. Well done!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Sonic#
Bree

Jul 24 2009, 6:48pm

Post #6 of 14 (99 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Keep up the good work. It's very well done, has the right details, and so on. I can't wait to show my friends.

Ttandc
The Shire

Jul 24 2009, 10:35pm

Post #7 of 14 (103 views)
Shortcut
Reply to Elven [In reply to] Can't Post

G'day Elven

It took me a few months all in all but I think it turned out ok :)
I will also be remaking the Helms Deep castle as the one that is in the game is just tragic to compare to the one in the movies.

Ttandc
The Shire

Jul 24 2009, 10:38pm

Post #8 of 14 (102 views)
Shortcut
Reply to Grammaboodawg [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks mate, glad you like it. I did leave it as a video response on one of the Mount Sunday tours we see on you tube but they took it down. Oh well :)

Ttandc
The Shire

Jul 24 2009, 10:42pm

Post #9 of 14 (99 views)
Shortcut
Reply to Weathertop [In reply to] Can't Post

G'day Weathertop

Yep those are meant to be birdhouses. I dont think you can see it in the youtube video but I even put in little twigs and branches in them for the birds to nest in. Going over the dvd I noticed two of them so I thought I better make them as well. I didn't notice it much at first but they had a few bird motiffs on the buildings. Smile When I recreate a scene I never add anything of my own I stick 100% to the original Wink

I was planning on doing the insides of all these buildings as well but the games guys said that polygon count is very important so I had to give away that idea. But I was thinking of doing it for the high detail models of this that I was going to put on my web site.

(This post was edited by Ttandc on Jul 24 2009, 10:47pm)

Ttandc
The Shire

Jul 24 2009, 10:49pm

Post #10 of 14 (107 views)
Shortcut
Reply to Lily and Sonic# [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks guys, glad you like it Smile I might have need to redo this animation as the camera was a bit too close at times Blush and a bit jittery. Smile

Nimloth
Lorien

Jul 25 2009, 4:55am

Post #11 of 14 (82 views)
Shortcut
Well Done [In reply to] Can't Post

That was really great Ttandc Smile. It's very acurate and must have taken you a while to do.

Ttandc
The Shire

Jul 25 2009, 6:23am

Post #12 of 14 (71 views)
Shortcut
Reply to Nimloth [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Nimloth Smile

I had to teach myself how to skin a model which was a process I wasn't familiar with but I think I got the hang of it eventually Cool

stormcrow20
Gondor

Jul 26 2009, 7:46am

Post #13 of 14 (47 views)
Shortcut
Great Job! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very well done, indeed. Smile

"Expect me when you see me."

Ttandc
The Shire

Jul 26 2009, 10:41am

Post #14 of 14 (108 views)
Shortcut
Reply to Stormcrow20 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks mate Smile If you guys like I'll post up a link of Helms Deep when that is done as well.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.