Mythcon 40 -- "Sailing the Seas of Imagination" -- July 17-20 in Los Angeles
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 22 2009, 5:42am

Post #26 of 57 (4994 views)
Shortcut
My report will probably be delayed more than a week. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm preparing to lead next week's discussion of "The Last Stage" in the Reading Room. That's where I'll post my report on Mythcon, along the lines of the report on the Vermont conference. For the moment, let me just say that it was great to meet Ainu Laire, and Arquen and her daughter OrcKid, and to see drogo and Voronwë and WonderBroad again!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9. Everyone is welcome!

Join us July 20-26 for "The Return Journey".

And starting August 10: The Silmarillion!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2009, 5:25pm

Post #27 of 57 (4989 views)
Shortcut
Really?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Squee!

(Is squeeing allowed at Mythcon, or do I have to behave myself?)

Well, that is too convenient! I’ll still be relatively new at my job next year and so have not much vacation time, and what time off I do have is pretty spoken-for. So I certainly wouldn’t be able to travel to go to one of these things. And here it turns up on my doorstep! Well! Maybe I’ll actually get to attend one now. I would love to meet the TORNfolk who go to these things, including, of course, your bad self! UT says he’d like to come, too. It’s a good thing he’s an interested enough Tolkien fan to stay awake because otherwise I’d have to sharpen up my elbows cuz HE SNORES! :D

Any idea yet what the venue will be?

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 22 2009, 7:47pm

Post #28 of 57 (4962 views)
Shortcut
Really! So...how much room do you have [In reply to] Can't Post

for company? Laugh

And no, they don't mind at all if you squee!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 22 2009, 8:48pm

Post #29 of 57 (4960 views)
Shortcut
SMU... probably. [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently the university can't confirm bookings for next July until this September, but visualweasel's co-chair reported on Saturday that all indications are good.

Mythcon normally runs Friday afternoon through Monday morning, but those who can't take off work will find plenty to do by attending just the Saturday and Sunday events -- as Voronwë and Arquen did. For those who don't stay on campus, I strongly recommend purchasing meal tickets (in advance) as the meals, even when the food is not the best (though it was pretty good at UCLA and Oklahoma, and excellent at Berkeley), most definitely including the Sunday evening banquet.

We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9. Everyone is welcome!

And starting August 10: The Silmarillion!

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2009, 11:52pm

Post #30 of 57 (4996 views)
Shortcut
The setting is July, 2010, at Mythcon Dallas: [In reply to] Can't Post

GalTX: Dernie! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Dernwyn: [pretends not to notice]

Stern-looking scholar types: Security!

~~~~~~~~

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 23 2009, 12:01am

Post #31 of 57 (4998 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nope - make that second line:

Dernwyn: Galadriel! UT! Squeeeeee!

And stern-looking scholarly types wearing all sorts of fantasy T-shirts nod their heads, knowingly! Cool

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2009, 5:27pm

Post #32 of 57 (4958 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

I’ve driven by it many times but only set foot on campus once, about ten years ago, to see Stomp! I imagine this event will be much quieter. ;o)

~~~~~~~~

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 23 2009, 11:11pm

Post #33 of 57 (4978 views)
Shortcut
no, guys, it will go like this: [In reply to] Can't Post

Squee!!

Squee back!!

Scholar one: Interesting term. I am not sure I have heard that before. Could you define it and use it contextually?

Scholar two: [interrupting] Don't be daft, man, it's a Middle English term derived from OE; in fact, I believe Tolkien discussed it in [refers to terribly rare and esoteric old paper by Tolkien of which only two copies are extant]. Here, I happen to have a copy in my backpack.

Scholar three: I happened to overhear and while I ordinarily respect your opinion, you are off base entirely. I have been speaking Anglo-Saxon since tenth grade, and it is most definitely not an Anglo-Saxon term!

Scholar four: Yes, fine, all that is very interesting, but the essential question is this: do Elves squee?

Meantime, the squee-ers quietly exit the room.

LOL

Just kidding. Mythies are terribly tolerant, at least from my one experience. They will not care a fig if you squee. Just use complete sentences if they ask you for a definition of the term!

Cool

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 23 2009, 11:20pm

Post #34 of 57 (4955 views)
Shortcut
As I recall... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it was very difficult for me to hold back a "squee" when I realized that, as you and I sat chatting in a hallway, the two and only Hammond & Scull came by wearing dragon T-shirts, and then the four of us talked about Pauline Baynes...

That is one of the glorious things about Mythcon, one gets to meet legends! Smile

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 24 2009, 2:35am

Post #35 of 57 (5005 views)
Shortcut
Heh. [In reply to] Can't Post

Douglas Anderson, Kalamazoo 2008, with a question on Robin Reid's paper:

"Robin, I'm a little afraid to ask, but what is 'squee'?"

And sign up for The Silmarillion!

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 25 2009, 6:23am

Post #36 of 57 (4942 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't be so sure // [In reply to] Can't Post

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2009, 12:04pm

Post #37 of 57 (4937 views)
Shortcut
Hurray for Texas! And summertime Dallas is better than [In reply to] Can't Post

Houston... at least no alligators....

I hope to make the pilgrimage from San Antonio. By my last count TORn had at least a dozen active posters from Texas.

ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2009, 12:06pm

Post #38 of 57 (4931 views)
Shortcut
"The sun is riz, the sun is set, and we ain't out of Texas yet." // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2009, 12:46pm

Post #39 of 57 (4937 views)
Shortcut
Seriously? [In reply to] Can't Post

What was the nature of the paper?

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 25 2009, 4:13pm

Post #40 of 57 (4954 views)
Shortcut
The announced title was [In reply to] Can't Post

..."The Crown of Durin and the Shield of Oromë the Great: Spirituality and History in Jackson's The Lord of the Rings", and was apparently intended to be another in a series of papers in which Reid attempts to show how the films' techniques echo Tolkien's grammatical structures. However, this time Reid pulled back and presented only the first half, not reaching a discussion of the films.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 25 2009, 5:33pm

Post #41 of 57 (4991 views)
Shortcut
And what was the context in which the term "squee" was used? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you remember.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 26 2009, 3:58am

Post #42 of 57 (4961 views)
Shortcut
Not in my notes. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think Reid was describing the variety of responses viewers might have to the films.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 26 2009, 4:07am

Post #43 of 57 (4981 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

In my participation on the "Tolkien in the 21st Century" panel last weekend, I mentioned as one of the variety of reactions to the films being "swooning for Orlando Bloom" (which elicitated a couple of chuckles).

But to be honest, I'm still not sure I understand exactly what "squeeing" is.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 26 2009, 12:38pm

Post #44 of 57 (4977 views)
Shortcut
A squee [In reply to] Can't Post

is the combination of a scream and a squeal. Adoloscent girls are particularly good at it, but no one is completely immune.Cool

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

`Are these magic cloaks? ' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.

`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 26 2009, 2:45pm

Post #45 of 57 (4987 views)
Shortcut
HAH!! I told y'all a scholar would ask for contextual use!! LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

God's above, I love Torn.

Heart

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 27 2009, 1:25am

Post #46 of 57 (4909 views)
Shortcut
Amen, Sister! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 27 2009, 4:08am

Post #47 of 57 (4988 views)
Shortcut
What scholar? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just a fanboy who got lucky. Smile

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 27 2009, 9:51am

Post #48 of 57 (4945 views)
Shortcut
that's what they all say. LOL. // [In reply to] Can't Post

"an seileachan"

visualweasel
Rohan

Jul 28 2009, 9:56pm

Post #49 of 57 (4909 views)
Shortcut
Mythcon in Dallas [In reply to] Can't Post

It will be hot, but we have the best air conditioning Texas oil-dollars can buy. Wink

Jason Fisher
Lingwë - Musings of a Fish

The Lord of the Rings discussion 2007-2008 – The Two Towers – III.4 “Treebeard” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
“On Fairy-stories” discussion 2008 – “Origins” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

visualweasel
Rohan

Jul 28 2009, 9:58pm

Post #50 of 57 (5166 views)
Shortcut
*spews coffee* [In reply to] Can't Post

Er, one or two of those scholars sounded uncomfortably familiar. Blush

Jason Fisher
Lingwë - Musings of a Fish

The Lord of the Rings discussion 2007-2008 – The Two Towers – III.4 “Treebeard” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
“On Fairy-stories” discussion 2008 – “Origins” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.