Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - July 23
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 23 2009, 8:54am

Post #1 of 53 (380 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 23 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth... very short, but very neat descriptive :)

July 23, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Ride through grasslands west of Mirkwood.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."... morning dawned bright and fair again. There was an autumn-like mist white upon the ground and the air was chill, but soon the sun rose red in the East and the mists vanished, and while the shadows were still long they were off again... ...all the while they saw nothing save grass and flowers and birds and scattered trees, and occasionally small herds of red deer browsing or sitting at noon in the shade. Sometimes Bilbo saw the horns of the harts sticking up out of the long grass, and at first he thought they were the dead branches of trees."

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 23 2009, 9:18am

Post #2 of 53 (292 views)
Shortcut
And that is why Tolkien is so great [In reply to] Can't Post

Just reading this I found myself in grasslands in the morning, in the mist, looking at deer in the distance.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 23 2009, 10:29am

Post #3 of 53 (278 views)
Shortcut
The description [In reply to] Can't Post

is fascinating: the mist burning off, the antlers being all he can see across the grassland!

It feels like such a rich, living place, doesn't it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 23 2009, 10:30am

Post #4 of 53 (275 views)
Shortcut
Just enough [In reply to] Can't Post

of a description to put you right there beside Bilbo. *sigh*

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 23 2009, 2:27pm

Post #5 of 53 (284 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien is a master of such descriptions. "Lucid", I call them, like a lucid dream, where you pass briefly into another world.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Curious
Half-elven

Jul 23 2009, 2:33pm

Post #6 of 53 (302 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps the only time we see wild herds in Middle-earth. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is odd, considering how wild Middle-earth is supposed to be. Here's a deer or two in tall grass:

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 23 2009, 4:16pm

Post #7 of 53 (273 views)
Shortcut
*gasp* Oh my! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's perfect!! For a moment there... I was Bilbo!

Cheers, Curious :)

sample

Curious
Half-elven

Jul 23 2009, 5:11pm

Post #8 of 53 (245 views)
Shortcut
On top of a pony, I trust.// [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 23 2009, 7:58pm

Post #9 of 53 (261 views)
Shortcut
He'd have a difficult time [In reply to] Can't Post

navigating through grass that tall without one; that's a perfect pic to show this, thanks!

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 24 2009, 8:41am

Post #10 of 53 (252 views)
Shortcut
Actually, [In reply to] Can't Post

Dori is my piggy-back ride of choice after his excellent job when escaping the Goblins... eventhough he dropped me *plop*

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 24 2009, 8:53am

Post #11 of 53 (248 views)
Shortcut
TIME -July 24 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

July 24, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bright, fair, chill fall-like mist. Bilbo sees Beorn. Press on under moon.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."...they were eager to press on, for Beorn had said that they should reach the forest-gate early on the fourth day, that they rode still forward after dusk and into the night beneath the moon. As the light faded Bilbo thought he saw away to the right, or to the left, the shadowy form of a great bear prowling along in the same direction. But if he dared to mention it to Gandalf, the wizard only said: "Hush! Take no notice!""

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 24 2009, 10:40am

Post #12 of 53 (245 views)
Shortcut
Oh, wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that a page from the graphic novelization? I love the way those two horses are staring at these strangers while keeping close to Beorn!

And who painted Beorn in his bear-form? That picture has such a "soft" twilighty feel to it!

Thank you, gramma! Smile

Curious
Half-elven

Jul 24 2009, 12:13pm

Post #13 of 53 (261 views)
Shortcut
Here's [In reply to] Can't Post

a bear in tall grass.

And a question about Beorn. Why would a bear-man be a vegetarian? I never quite understood that.

(This post was edited by Curious on Jul 24 2009, 12:16pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 24 2009, 2:59pm

Post #14 of 53 (230 views)
Shortcut
Yeah :) Wenzel and Jef Murray [In reply to] Can't Post

Murry's work has such a simple loveliness to it. He has a great way of capturing emotion.

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 24 2009, 3:01pm

Post #15 of 53 (238 views)
Shortcut
Thar's the Bar! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wonderful colouring! Now, would you want to eat your friends? I imagine it's an understanding he'd come to with his household. Keep the honey and cream coming and I won't put you on the menu :)

sample

squire
Half-elven

Jul 24 2009, 3:05pm

Post #16 of 53 (251 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps this isn't Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think the world of The Hobbit is ever called that. And those herds of deer - like herds of goats, sheep, cows, etc. - never show up in The Lord of the Rings. I know Tolkien wanted The Hobbit to fit into his larger conceptions in later years, and it generally does so amazingly well, but this is an example of how some of the little differences between the two story-worlds were never reconciled.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Curious
Half-elven

Jul 24 2009, 4:09pm

Post #17 of 53 (607 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn does comment on the absence of animals in Hollin. [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps the herds of animals in LotR are all in hiding during a time of war. Where they hide, I'm not sure. Maybe they just run away more quickly than in The Hobbit.

Artanis
Rohan

Jul 24 2009, 10:04pm

Post #18 of 53 (221 views)
Shortcut
oh [In reply to] Can't Post

i loved reading that.............for just a minute i was far away fromt this laptop....lovely......i'm going to read that again.Smile

Artanis

Artanis
Rohan

Jul 24 2009, 10:05pm

Post #19 of 53 (197 views)
Shortcut
love the pic. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Artanis

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 25 2009, 11:52am

Post #20 of 53 (228 views)
Shortcut
There are herds of conies, though! [In reply to] Can't Post

So... they're either haughty enough to think they're impervious to capture, or they're really dumb bunnies.

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 25 2009, 11:56am

Post #21 of 53 (205 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

July 25, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf and Company approach the west edge of Mirkwood.
(determined from text - referencing Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
...Next day they started before dawn, though their night had been short. As soon as it was light they could see the forest coming as it were to meet them, or waiting for them like a black and frowning wall before them....
..."Well, here is Mirkwood!" said Gandalf. "The greatest of the forests of the Northern world. I hope you like the look of it. Now you must send back these excellent ponies you have borrowed."
...The dwarves were inclined to grumble at this, but the wizard told them they were fools. "Beorn is not as far off as you seem to think, and you have better keep your promises anyway, for he is a bad enemy. Mr. Baggins' eyes are sharper than yours, if you have not seen each night after dark a great bear going along with us or sitting far off in the moon watching our camps. Not only to guard you and guide you, but to keep an eye on the ponies too. Beorn may be your friend, but he loves his animals as his children. You do not guess what kindness he has shown you in letting dwarves ride them so far and so fast, nor what would happen to you, if you tried to take them into the forest."
..."What about the horse, then?" said Thorin. "You don't mention sending that back."
..."I don't, because I am not sending it."
..."What about your promise then?"
..."I will look after that. I am not sending the horse back, I am riding it!"
...Then they knew that Gandalf was going to leave them at the very edge of Mirkwood, and they were in despair. But nothing they could say would change his mind.
..."Now we had this all out before, when we landed on the Carrock" he said. "It is no use arguing. I have, as I told you, some pressing business away south; and I am already late through bothering with you people. We may meet again before all is over, and then again of course we may not. That depends on your luck and on your courage and sense; and I am sending Mr. Baggins with you. I have told you before that he has more about him than you guess, and you will find that out before long. So cheer up Bilbo and don't look so glum. Cheer up Thorin and Company! This is your expedition after all. Think of the treasure at the end, and forget the forest and the dragon, at any rate until tomorrow morning!""

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2009, 1:17pm

Post #22 of 53 (215 views)
Shortcut
*groan*! // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2009, 1:23pm

Post #23 of 53 (220 views)
Shortcut
Leaving them at the very edge of Mirkwood [In reply to] Can't Post

And leaving them at what they feel is the worst possible moment to do so! In their minds, this Quest is the most important thing happening. Gandalf seems to be making light of it; but he does not dare let them in on what his business down South is, nor let them know how important ridding the North of the dragon really is, or they would be even more downhearted!

A wizard does have to be a psychologist...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 25 2009, 11:08pm

Post #24 of 53 (224 views)
Shortcut
I'm thinking he's more concerned [In reply to] Can't Post

for Bilbo's sake than the Dwarves. Not that he doesn't care, but he (of all people) knows what it's like to be involved with this crew and the potential dangers ahead. I wonder if Gandalf thought they'd miss meeting up with the Elves (let alone spiders) and the enchanted stream?

Yeah, he was keeping it light. I also wonder if he stayed that one last night so he could secretly/quietly place blessings or charms on Bilbo?

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 26 2009, 1:31am

Post #25 of 53 (206 views)
Shortcut
He was fond of "his" Hobbit! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hm...placing a "good word" or two on Bilbo! For safety, for boosting confidence, for patience! Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.