Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Favorite Harry Potter movie so far?
Poll: Favorite Harry Potter movie so far?
Sorcerer's Stone
Chamber of Secrets
Prisoner of Azkaban
Goblet of Fire
Order of the Phoenix
Half-Blood Prince
View Results (45 votes)

Annael
Immortal

Jul 22 2009, 3:06pm

Post #1 of 18 (531 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Harry Potter movie so far? Can't Post

Which of the Harry Potter movies to date is your favorite, and why?

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2009, 6:03pm

Post #2 of 18 (324 views)
Shortcut
Prisoner.... [In reply to] Can't Post

2nd fav book of the series I think...right behind Goblet of Fire. I think though this was the one book the movie makers were able to get the of on screen. As Goblet and the rest were bigger books, there was so much missing from the movies. So this one I think is my fav, also cause it has a lot of Sirius and Snape.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2009, 6:40pm

Post #3 of 18 (321 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, just cannot choose only one. The last three have all been my favourites.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Jul 22 2009, 7:57pm

Post #4 of 18 (281 views)
Shortcut
"Goblet" for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the Quidditch World Cup (not enough of it alas) and the Yule Ball, everything about the TriWizard Tournament, everything Mad-Eye Moody does, and how the boys and girls at Hogwarts are starting to be so aware of each other. Plus, Voldemort is more terrifying in this one than any of the others, and the senselessness of Cedric's death gets me every time,

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 22 2009, 8:55pm

Post #5 of 18 (274 views)
Shortcut
For me, too early to tell [In reply to] Can't Post

I think HBP will be my favorite, but I need to see it again first. Otherwise, probably Goblet of Fire.

Woodyend
Gondor

Jul 23 2009, 4:09am

Post #6 of 18 (301 views)
Shortcut
Goblet of Fire/ [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 23 2009, 12:25pm

Post #7 of 18 (277 views)
Shortcut
They all run together in my mind [In reply to] Can't Post

just like the books do. So I picked Sorcerer's Stone, because that was the first jaw-dropping look at the sets and costumes that matched my imaginings so perfectly.

Twit
Lorien

Jul 24 2009, 12:22am

Post #8 of 18 (284 views)
Shortcut
I like [In reply to] Can't Post

The Philosopher's stone because Harry was sooo right.

Sonic#
Bree

Jul 24 2009, 6:37pm

Post #9 of 18 (243 views)
Shortcut
Prisoner! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have to go back and watch it to be sure, but I just like the feel of this movie the most. Remus Lupin and Sirius Black's introduction, as well as Buckbeak. I like the three kids at that age. It was also the first time I was really dazzled by the movies. The first and second ones, while good, weren't that special for me. It felt like they were going through the motions - good motions, but still motions. This one felt better put together.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2009, 1:42pm

Post #10 of 18 (232 views)
Shortcut
I should say Prisoner of Azkaban, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer the flashiness of Goblet of Fire, which, along with The Philosopher's Stone are the only ones of the series with a true blockbuster ring to them. 3, 5 and 6 have been great movies, though.

I believe most would say Chamber of Secrets is the weakest one... both the book and the film. A pity, Lockhart is one of my favorite characters.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2009, 7:24pm

Post #11 of 18 (240 views)
Shortcut
Prisoner of Azkaban [In reply to] Can't Post

It's my favorite HP book AND movie, for much the same reasons. It struck the best balance between the fantastic, whimsical elements of the Harry Potter universe and its darker, deeper elements. It was a transitional story that showed Harry, Ron, Hermione and the others maturing and beginning to make more adult decisions. And it was just the right length. Besides, I like Alfonse Cuaron's movie adaptation because he perfectly captured the book's darkness and lighthearted moments. He also broke free of the cloying preciousness that Chris Columbus (director of the first two HP movies) had fallen into. And he hit the high points that were important to the story and compressed the rest.

Movies 1,2, 4 and 5 just don't live up to it. (I haven't yet seen HP 6 and therefore can't compare it to the rest.) HP 1 and 2 were cloying and overly long; the movie adaptations were a bit too faithful to the books and included a bunch of stuff that could have been eliminated to make the story flow better. On the other hand, HP 4 was too choppy. The movie excised most of the book's pointless and rambling subplots, which was all too the good. But it went a bit too far and became disjointed. HP 5 is the movie adaptation I like second best, but it doesn't have the charm of HP 3.

bearwen
Lorien

Jul 31 2009, 9:40pm

Post #12 of 18 (222 views)
Shortcut
I voted Prisioner! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the films and the sets and cast are great, but I aways feel they are rushing through the stories and there is none of the delicious indulgence of the books.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Jul 31 2009, 10:21pm

Post #13 of 18 (243 views)
Shortcut
Which is the one with the map? [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, far and away, that is the best film.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 31 2009, 11:26pm

Post #14 of 18 (251 views)
Shortcut
Prisoner of Azkaban. [In reply to] Can't Post

Harry used it to sneak through the tunnels to Hogsmeades to bypass the Sirius-hunting Dementors at Hogwarts' gates.

Woodyend
Gondor

Aug 4 2009, 9:37pm

Post #15 of 18 (304 views)
Shortcut
The Sorcerer's Stone. [In reply to] Can't Post

I tend to like the beginnings of series the most.

Buchanicus
Lorien

Aug 11 2009, 9:49pm

Post #16 of 18 (240 views)
Shortcut
Goblet of Fire [In reply to] Can't Post

I love all six movies but Goblet of Fire is hands down my favorite!

Elvanui
Rivendell

Aug 14 2009, 2:15pm

Post #17 of 18 (193 views)
Shortcut
At the moment my choice is HBP.. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I might still just be in post-new movie euphoria. It takes a while, I fiind, to get an objective feeling for a Harry Potter film because of all the excitement surrounding them! So I voted for 6, because my first impressions were that I loved it, even though they decided to omit my favourite line from the whole book - 'the coward' line.

Before this one came out, my favourite was Prisoner of Azkaban - it's certainly the one I would still watch over and over, partly because it was such a huge step up from the first two in terms of acting quality, humour, all sorts really, but also because it's not too emotionally draining to watch - 4, 5 and 6 wouldn't be films that I would think to myself 'I know, I'll sit down with a nice drink and a blanket and watch this nice, comforting movie', because the endings are just so hard to watch! Prisoner of Azkaban, though, gives me a cosy feeling when I watch it, but there's still enough peril to make it interesting. Sorry, that was a bit rambling!

So for me it remains to be seen whether or not I revert to my former opinion that PoA is my favourite of the films. Half Blood Prince is certainly still my favourite book. And I am SO excited to already be seeing reports from the set of Deathly Hallows - it really sounds as though they're getting it right Smile

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 14 2009, 3:12pm

Post #18 of 18 (261 views)
Shortcut
I really liked Order of the Phoenix [In reply to] Can't Post

I did like the most recent one as well. But in OOP I liked so much about it ... the opening scenes..... I liked the way they handled the growing connection between Harry and Voldemort (his wondering if there was something wrong with him, his constant anger), the relationship with Snape, the portrayal of Umbridge ... lots of stuff, oh and I really liked the final battle within the Ministry, how they were flinging energy, it seemed, at each other and how it was staged, and the battle between Voldemort and Dumbledore.

I'm really surprised no one else voted for it :-).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.